Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Exceptional Nikon SP kit for sale
Old 01-29-2017   #1
Larry Cloetta

Exceptional Nikon SP kit for sale

There are very few times that I wish I had more money than I do, but this is one of those times.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-SP-CAM...EAAOSw5cNYRxK2

Old 01-29-2017   #2
marcr1230

Nice kit but on the high side

Old 01-29-2017   #3
BuzzyOne

Waaaaay overpriced. AND $285 shipping? Guy's high.

Old 01-29-2017   #4
ColSebastianMoran

Hmm... One of our sponsors here. Appreciate that.

Let's assume he's selling a collector's item, with white glove delivery, and watch. He has 100% positive on 12k transactions. That's active!

In Classifieds Now: Nothing, more soon.
Photos, descriptions of for sale items previously listed here: this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-29-2017   #5
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzyOne View Post
Half the price it was in the '90s. Missing only the outer brown box, a very complete set. The box is a little rough, and the camera not mint, or it would be more.

BuzzyOne have you seen one being sold for less? I have not.

Old 01-29-2017   #6
oltimer

Quote:
Not really high at all considering that it must be insured "In Canada" to were ever it has to go. I know this dealer personally, and one I have trusted in my purchase's. He does not BS around on his grading either, and backs his sales up.

Old 01-29-2017   #7
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

One has to consider that the price on the high side reflects the rarity and desirability of that speed demon lens. Chrome great condition SP bodies, even with original box, are not that rare or over the moon in price these days.

Old 01-29-2017   #8
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
One has to consider that the price on the high side reflects the rarity and desirability of that speed demon lens. Chrome great condition SP bodies, even with original box, are not that rare or over the moon in price these days.
It's not just the box, it is the paperwork, and you are wrong about the box, the larger 50 1.1 box is almost unheard of in Nikon collecting. Only a few have been collected with paper.

Old 01-29-2017   #9
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
It's not just the box, it is the paperwork, and you are wrong about the box, the larger 50 1.1 box is almost unheard of in Nikon collecting. Only a few have been collected with paper.
I am referring to the box for the SP body with the ubiquitous 5cm f 1.4 lens of course ,Fred.

They do exist for sale with the original body, as I seen two for sale at two different camera shows, and while not selling for a song but there were available that way.

Old 01-29-2017   #10
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
I am referring to the box for the SP body with the ubiquitous 5cm f 1.4 lens of course ,Fred.

They do exist for sale with the original body, as I seen two for sale at two different camera shows, and not selling for a song but there were available that way.
I not sure I have ever seen an SP 50 1.1 box, in person, but I do know of a couple. There are of course lots of regular boxes, but still seldom with the serial numbered outside box.

Let's say the box and case are valued at $2000, the body at $1500, the unusually complete paperwork at $500 and the lens at a very reasonable $2500. Seems about right. I have not seen the case obviously but it appears crisp (no SP case can be used, they all fall apart, and the straps break.)

Few on the RFF value paper, I put up a Nikon S2 with paper, not even an offer, I imagine most think it is common.

Of course like all collectibles, they only need one buyer, and these days it's not going to be me.

Old 01-29-2017   #11
BuzzyOne

Quote:
Half the price it was in the '90s. Missing only the outer brown box, a very complete set. The box is a little rough, and the camera not mint, or it would be more.

BuzzyOne have you seen one being sold for less? I have not.
Yes. $1250 for the body in like condition.

Old 01-29-2017   #12
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Yes. $1250 for the body in like condition.
Well if I could find an SP with paperwork and a 1.4 box, even without the lens, for $1250 I would buy them all day.

It's funny to think back on selling at camera shows in the '90s, there was always someone who would say to me, I can buy that camera you are offering at $1000 for $500. And my response was always, well great, why are you mentioning it to me? Go buy it.

Old 01-29-2017   #13
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Some years ago, like in 2013 or 2014, Central Camera in Chicago had an eBay auction for a black SP with lenses (50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2.5, and probably a 135mm) in box, for $18,000. I went to their store one time while the auction was still going and dropped a timid request to just see the kit, and they said they'd only show it to me if I was really willing to buy it.

Of course, that was a black SP years ago. This one, regardless of the lens, seems a bit on the high side to me.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 01-29-2017   #14
xayraa33

Quote:
I not sure I have ever seen an SP 50 1.1 box, in person, but I do know of a couple. There are of course lots of regular boxes, but still seldom with the serial numbered outside box.

Let's say the box and case are valued at $2000, the body at $1500, the unusually complete paperwork at $500 and the lens at a very reasonable $2500. Seems about right. I have not seen the case obviously but it appears crisp (no SP case can be used, they all fall apart, and the straps break.)

Few on the RFF value paper, I put up a Nikon S2 with paper, not even an offer, I imagine most think it is common.

Of course like all collectibles, they only need one buyer, and these days it's not going to be me.

I have never seen the Nikkor f1.1 lens in person, for sale or not, internal mount or external bayonet mount in my life and I been going to cameras shows since the early 1980s. It is not doubt a rare lens, let alone with the original container it was sold in when new.

Old 01-29-2017   #15
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
Some years ago, like in 2013 or 2014, Central Camera in Chicago had an eBay auction for a black SP with lenses (50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2.5, and probably a 135mm) in box, for $18,000. I went to their store one time while the auction was still going and dropped a timid request to just see the kit, and they said they'd only show it to me if I was really willing to buy it.

Of course, that was a black SP years ago. This one, regardless of the lens, seems a bit on the high side to me.
Well in a sense it is, depending on your time frame. In 1980 that set would have been worth about $1000 to $2000 at most, and I have the receipts to prove it. But by 1995 it would have been selling for $15,000, or more. By 2005, the value was at a low point, but lately auctions for rare pieces have really picked up again.

I consider that set quite rough, but it is extremely rare.

Quote:
I have never seen the Nikkor f1.1 lens in person, for sale or not, internal mount or external bayonet mount in my life and I been going to cameras shows since the early 1980s. It is not doubt a rare lens, let alone with the original container it was sold in when new.
I collected several, but never owned a boxed 1.1 internal or external. And never an internal case. Just finding the special Nikkor filter, which did not rub the front of the lens, was an accomplishment.

Even more difficult was to find both the plastic, and metal 50 1.1 shade.

The main issue with the 1.1, was broken blades. If you changed aperture too quickly they would crack, leaving you will a pile of blades inside your lens.

Old 01-29-2017   #16
Gregm61

I would rather have purchased the chrome SP and 50mm f1.4 dscamera sold on eBay a few weeks ago for under $1,000 that he had just had fully serviced. I thought about it a couple of times but walked away.

Old 01-29-2017   #17
mdarnton

Not for me. I would just buy it, use it, beat it to death, and lose the box. :-)

Old 01-29-2017   #18
marcr1230

I changed my mind, maybe it's not priced too high, but still too much for me, but what a pretty kit

Old 01-29-2017   #19
xayraa33

Quote:
I changed my mind, maybe it's not priced too high, but still too much for me, but what a pretty kit
It is more for a collector than a user.

I think a user condition fully functioning Nikon SP with good RF contrast and the common 5cm f1.4 lens going for a grand and a half total would be ideal as a user machine.

Old 01-29-2017   #20
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
nope, not for what it is. actually that is a low price.

I've seen more than my share of rare Nikon rangefinder,
and NEVER have seen a box for SP with the 1.1.

The $285 for insurance no doubt includes insurance for the full amount.
They last thing they want is a lost or damaged Nikon treasure.

likewise Fred, for those who do not know,
is the Nikon Historical Society webmaster.
When he says something is rare, it's an understatement.

Old 01-30-2017   #21
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Every rare or expensive camera does not have to be destroyed, or ridiculed.