G'day RF brains trust, here's another 'what camera should I buy' thread
For the past few years I've been using a Ricoh GR (APS v1) as my primary digital camera. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, but over the past couple of weeks it's been going through a slow and prolonged death (I froze it in Finland, drowned it in Paris, then drowned it again in Tas) and is now definitely cactus. Hence, new camera.
I shoot the majority of my personal work at the moment on 35mm and MF film, and I don't see that changing in the short term. Since I've owned it the GR has been part pocket camera, part digital back up for my film gear, and part hiking/trail running body.
I mainly shoot:
- Landscape (usually during hiking or trail running trips)
I also have a growing interested in botany, which means photographing things which are often quite small, and short snippets of video. That said, this doesn't need to perform like a dedicated macro/video set up, it just needs to be capable.
Professionally, I work as a hiking guide and it is useful to have a compact, high-quality camera easily accessible.
When hiking it lives in a small pouch on my rucksack hip belt, and when running it's in a Salomon trail running vest pack.
Things I like about the GR:
- Quality of lens/sensor combo
Things I don't like:
- Manual focus implementation
Things I think I would like:
- Faster lens and/or stabilisation
- Better close-focussing
- More intuitive and better quality video
- Possibly a zoom - I'm quite happy with the GR's '28mm', but wouldn't mind exploring something different.
At the moment I see a few replacement options:
- GR II - I know I like it, and these can be found new relatively cheap.
- Panasonic LX100 - I like the ergonomics/UI, the video seems very good and the IQ acceptable. Reasonable price.
- Sony RX100 mk.something
- Size and video look great. Haven't particularly enjoyed playing with them, and the price for newer models seems excessive.
- Fuji X100 - Ergonomics/UI and lens/sensor look great. Size and price dubious.
- Fuji X70 - Looks nice but I'd probably just get another GR.
- Sony RX1 - Outstanding lens and sensor. Big (when the lens is taken into consideration) and expensive, even second hand.
Any thoughts or suggestions?