Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

What do I have?
Old 12-27-2016   #1
Waus

What do I have?

I just bought some Nikon filters (ND8x, A12 & Polar)and the seller also included a light grey box with a "Nikon F M -> B" adapter? shade?

Any help would be welcome! Thanks!

Old 12-27-2016   #2
jonmanjiro

I just fixed up your photo links for you. Also, since the part shown is for Nikon F rather than Nikon rangefinders, I moved the thread to the Nikon Historical Society forum.

From the shape it looks like some kind of wide angle convertor (assuming there is optical glass in it), but since you're thinking its an adapter or shade I guess that assumption is incorrect.

Old 12-27-2016   #3
Waus

Thanks John-I'm a bit clumsy with that..
There's no optical glass in it- it's just empty...

Old 12-27-2016   #4
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Does the wide end have an internal thread? And what are the thread diameters?

My guess is that it is (a part of) a microscope or telescope attachment.

Old 12-27-2016   #5
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Does the wide end have an internal thread? And what are the thread diameters?

My guess is that it is (a part of) a microscope or telescope attachment.
If it's very small, could it be an eyepiece attachment? The thread diameter/s should give a strong clue.

Old 12-27-2016   #6
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

According to the internet's favorite delusional used gear seller, this is a "very rare" lens hood for the 5.5cm preset macro lens, and is worth "$400". For whatever that's worth. Probably means actual value is about $40.

Edit: further research shows one alongside the lens here: http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Niko...ro-Nikkor.html
Doesn't look like a hood to me. Maybe a reverser ring type deal for something?

Old 12-27-2016   #7
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
Edit: further research shows one alongside the lens here: http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Niko...ro-Nikkor.html
Doesn't look like a hood to me. Maybe a reverser ring type deal for something?
It would not work as a hood, even less so with a 55/3.5. But that image contains some more pieces of the puzzle. I think it is a adapter/funnel piece for a (presumably 22,3mm tubus) field lens, to be used to couple the 55/3.5 to a microscope with a reversal ring. Dimensions are about right so that the 55/3.5 would pick up a 1:1 aerial image off the field lens in this setup.

Old 12-27-2016   #8
Waus

Thanks sevo & tunalegs! The wide-end of the adapter has an 52mm internal-mount, so (Nikon)filters fit right in.
The Westlicht auction has as dicription: "with M-B filter-ring, cap, keeper". So I guess it is a filter holder for the 5,5cm Micro-Nikkor (which I sold a month ago....)

Old 12-27-2016   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland

According to "The Complete Nikon System" by Peter Braczko, "The M-B adapter prevents movement of the front lens during focusing, an important consideration when the first Micro-Nikkor is reverse-mounted on a bellows unit."

There is no photo of the adapter however, so I don't know if he is talking about the same item.

PF

Old 12-27-2016   #10
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
According to "The Complete Nikon System" by Peter Braczko, "The M-B adapter prevents movement of the front lens during focusing, an important consideration when the first Micro-Nikkor is reverse-mounted on a bellows unit."

There is no photo of the adapter however, so I don't know if he is talking about the same item.

PF
This sounds like the description of a freewheeling reversing ring - which would be the right thing to sit between the lens and this tube when using the latter for adapting to a microscope. The inscription might mean "the M->B adapter belongs here".

Old 12-27-2016   #11
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:

PF
It is an adapter for the original F mount micro-nikkor (not macro). That lens had a deep recessed front thread, with no outer 52mm thread.

When screwed into the front of the lens, it allows the lens to be reversed when using a reverse ring on an F bellows.

This is the second non-auto version with front threads. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dexmicrold.htm

Old 12-27-2016   #12
DrMcCoy

Old 12-27-2016   #13
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
I don't get the reference - but I'm pretty sure I want to.
Remember the old TV show 'Password'?

The host, Allen Ludden: "Two words depicting the name of a delusional internet seller of used photo gear."

Me: "____ Spacey"
You: Huh?
Me: "____ Kostner"
You: "xxxxx" (censored)
Me: "Rangefinder ______(s)"
You: Huh?
Me: "Digital _______(s)"
You: "xxxxxxx" (censored)

Put the two together and you have the name.

Old 12-27-2016   #14
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post

It is an adapter for the original F mount micro-nikkor (not macro). That lens had a deep recessed front thread, with no outer 52mm thread.

When screwed into the front of the lens, it allows the lens to be reversed when using a reverse ring on an F bellows.

This is the second non-auto version with front threads. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dexmicrold.htm
Well, he does reference the same lens, but after reading what the "The New Nikon Compendium" by Stafford, Hillebrand, and Hauschild has to say, I believe Peter's thinking it was to prevent rotation of the lens is a non-designed side effect.

It's easy to see how it is used to mount the lens to a BR-2 ring. Surprisingly, none of the four copies of the Nikon F/Nikkormat reference guides I own have anything about the preset Micro-Nikkor, beginning instead with the Auto Micro-Nikkor, and it is not part of the EF system which is covered extensively.

The Compendium only gives a passing reference to the lens and adapter, but states the adapter was used for mounting filters (and thus, a reversing ring) since the front ring of the lens rotates to set the aperture.

PF

Old 12-27-2016   #15
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
It's easy to see how it is used to mount the lens to a BR-2 ring. Surprisingly, none of the four copies of the Nikon F/Nikkormat reference guides I own have anything about the preset Micro-Nikkor, beginning instead with the Auto Micro-Nikkor, and it is not part of the EF system which is covered extensively.
Here is a set http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Niko...ro-Nikkor.html

http://nikonfan.cocolog-nifty.com/.s...f35preseta.jpg

Honestly Peter may be right, but my understanding was the lens was not threaded 52mm, so the adapter was needed, however it seems to have been threaded so it may be to stabilize the whole thing when mounted.

This was not one of my most memorable collecting experiences, but I have a good memory for this stuff, most of the time. At any rate the adapter is for the first version of the micro.

Old 12-28-2016   #16
farlymac
PF McFarland

I keep thinking I may have one of those M->B adapters around here. Stuff I get in box lots is my usual source for oddball items.

PF

Old 12-28-2016   #17
Baku

cool lens dear nice photography btw i like it

repair iphone screen

Old 12-28-2016   #18
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
I believe Peter's thinking it was to prevent rotation of the lens is a non-designed side effect.
Well, if it goes INSIDE the lens (or rather inside the lens-integral shade) and screws into a smaller thread at the front element, it would uncouple the front of the lens from filters, bellows and the like. Which would indeed be beneficial on a lens with front aperture ring. But that would imply that the lens has a small female thread at the front element - has it?

Old 12-28-2016   #19
Waus

thanks for all the input! RFF is really an outstanding forum!
Unfortunately I had (a used)example-that I sold...so don't know about the femaile tread...

Old 12-29-2016   #20
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Well, if it goes INSIDE the lens (or rather inside the lens-integral shade) and screws into a smaller thread at the front element, it would uncouple the front of the lens from filters, bellows and the like. Which would indeed be beneficial on a lens with front aperture ring. But that would imply that the lens has a small female thread at the front element - has it?
It does, I think 43mm as I remember.

Old 12-29-2016   #21
Waus

I just measured the outside of the smallest part, and I see 31mm on my micrometer.

Old 12-30-2016   #22
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waus View Post
I just measured the outside of the smallest part, and I see 31mm on my micrometer.
Interesting, so it was only there for assembly of the lens? Not to mount a filter. I assume the adapter was a lucky after thought, but really have no actual info.

I am surprised no one on the RFF has shown us a complete set. This was supposed to be a great lens.

m-b adapter
Old 12-30-2016   #23
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

m-b adapter

The first 55mm Micro-Nikkor for the Nikon F was a preset lens. The close-down ring was also the filter-mounting ring (52mm Nikon F standard). This meant that any filter would rotate when the lens was stopped down. It also made it difficult to reverse-mount the lens on a bellows. The M-B ring screws into a smaller thread well inside the front of the lens (31mm) which does not rotate when the lens is stopped down. This allows the reverse mounting of the Micro Nikkor on a bellows and still easily stop down the aperture. The second version of the pre-set Micro Nikkor has a projecting filter thread that eliminates the problem. The M-B ring was not a good solution since over-tightening the ring and then trying to remove it could cause the lens to unscrew (oops!).
You have a very rare item. I own one and use it to adapt a telescope eyepiece to any Nikkor lens with a K-3 ring. WES

Old 12-30-2016   #24
DrMcCoy

Old 12-30-2016   #25
Waus

Thanks again for the input!

Old 12-31-2016   #26
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes loder View Post
This meant that any filter would rotate when the lens was stopped down. WES
That is the missing piece of information!

I could not remember why the adapter was needed.

I have handled the lens and put in an adapter, but nothing more. Any idea how many were made? Did it share elements with the rangefinder version? I cannot find a lens diagram.

Old 12-31-2016   #27
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
Wow - how in the world does that place stay in business. Those prices are ludicrous.
As I always said to collectors who made that comment, go buy at the cheaper table, why bother me?