Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

View Poll Results: should the x100 and x-e cameras have the same build quality as the x-pro and x-t?
Yes 15 37.50%
No 9 22.50%
Don't care 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

raise fuji x100/x-e build-quality level to x-pro/x-t?
Old 08-12-2016   #1
aizan

raise fuji x100/x-e build-quality level to x-pro/x-t?

just wanted to get a sense of what percent of people want the x100/x-e cameras to have the same build quality as the x-pro/x-t. my sense is that a lot of "serious" amateur street photographers and photojournalists/documentary photographers would like an improvement in durability and weather sealing, as well as have that joystick. it also seems like there are lots of people who only use the EVF on the x-pro and got it instead of the x-t because they prefer the rangefinder-style form factor.

Old 08-12-2016   #2
emraphoto

Certainly not meaning to tell folks what they want however i have used non-sealed, consumer grade point and shoots/mirrorless cameras in a professional fashion for sometime now. 100% humidity West Africa bush to the Middle East mess we call the Arab Spring. Have never had a camera not come back working top flight. The line between 'professional grade' and damn good enough is quite thin in my world.

Old 08-12-2016   #3
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I'll second the duribility of the X100, I have an early copy of the first run, bought new in June of 2011 and have taken it all over the world. To date the only issue has been the broken shutter button/off on switch when I dropped it on the garage floor. How much better does it need to be???

Old 08-12-2016   #4
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Original x100 owner/first and only digital and not crapped out once, compared to a 8/2016 made camera it lacks the typical feature/function though it more than does the trick, and I prefer the sensor that the x100T. Perfect world next x100(x200 or what ever the name) i get will have the usual list of features etc…..
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-12-2016   #5
Dogman

Unnecessary. The cameras are more than adequate now. In 40+ years of shooting I only recall owning a couple of weather sealed cameras and they never once made a better picture than the standard ones.

Old 08-12-2016   #6
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
just wanted to get a sense of what percent of people want the x100/x-e cameras to have the same build quality as the x-pro/x-t. my sense is that a lot of "serious" amateur street photographers and photojournalists/documentary photographers would like an improvement in durability and weather sealing, as well as have that joystick. it also seems like there are lots of people who only use the EVF on the x-pro and got it instead of the x-t because they prefer the rangefinder-style form factor.
Since when is an X100 not durable? My X100 is pounding along after years of use and an infrared conversion, and my X100T was tough as nails. Build quality of the T is every bit as good as the X-Pro1. Maybe better.

Dante

Old 08-12-2016   #7
Jdi

My old X100 took some falls, typically on cobble stone streets when I was still shooting a dslr. Dents, scratches, never missed a beat.

Old 08-12-2016   #8
kshapero
My view

I think the build quality on my X100t is awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-12-2016   #9
SausalitoDog

Plus 1 in defense of the x100T. Please DON'T tempt fuji to tinker with it :-)

for me, this is the perfect camera for jamming in your pocket and having with you at all times...not indestructible but so far so good (I haven't tried soaking it but it's taken lots of falls).

As far as the E series go, I think they, too are fine as they are. If you add the sealing and other features of the xp2, you will run the cost up and its a very nice little body for the price.

Now...the x-pro series is another matter. IMHO, seriously great bodies but they cost more...nearly indestructible (weather sealing on xp2) and they hybrid finder is so so great...

In short, for this point and time, I really think fuji has nailed it...what's not to like?

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 08-12-2016   #10
daveleo
what?

For me.... NO.
The build quality of my (sold) X100 and my XE1 is fine for their price points, and my needs.
If they magically made them pro-tough for no added cost, I'd say "sure, why not" but that's not real, nor do I personally need that to happen.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 08-12-2016   #11
nongfuspring

No.

But what I WOULD like is if Fuji started designing cameras and menus for Sony.

Old 08-12-2016   #12
narsuitus

"... should the x100 and x-e cameras have the same build quality as the x-pro and x-t?

I voted yes, however, I am not familiar with the build quality of the x-t, X100, or x-e.

Old 08-12-2016   #13
filmfan

I wish my X pro 1 had the built quality of the X100 original I also have... The X100 is nicer than X Pro 1 for build quality. I think you may have it backwards.

Old 08-12-2016   #14
DrMcCoy

Ehhhhh, I'd like weather sealing. It and the autofocus being kinda bad are why it's not my primary digital camera. I literally like that camera so much I might eschew film if they fixed those two things.

Old 08-13-2016   #15
borge

The X100T is very durable already. All it needs is weather sealing, and, a more solid LCD frame. The rear display on the X100T seems a little bit flimsy. Push a little bit on the LCD or the frame around the LCD on the back and you get all sorts of bleeds on the display itself.

Anyway, I dropped an X100T on the pavement and it got a few scratches, but survived perfectly. Does it need to be more solid? Probably not. The size and weight is perfect. I would accept a very very slight increase in size and weight to add weather resistance, but that's it.

The more important thing is that the next X100 camera gets the tech from the X-Pro2, including the very nice button layout!

Old 08-13-2016   #16
ray*j*gun

I have an original X100 bought from a member here about a year ago and have taken it to Lake Placid in the winter (really really cold) as well as the Jersey shore (hot and salty-humid) and no issues of any kind. I know it feels light and sort of flimsy but it works so far without any hiccups. Love the sensor and lens as well!!

Old 08-13-2016   #17
willie_901

Didn't vote. The build X100 line's build quality is not lacking. WR would be the only significant difference.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-16-2016   #18
bhop73

There's nothing wrong with the build quality. Weather sealing would be nice, but honestly, i've used my T in light rain with no issues anyway. Other than that, i've dropped it a couple times, I take it everywhere. It still works perfectly.

Old 08-16-2016   #19
kshapero
My view

So we agree the OP is bit confused about build quality v

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-16-2016   #20
jsrockit

I think maybe I get what the OP means. The X-Pro2 (especially so) and X-T1 feel better in your hands (better materials being used) and I would like that to at least be represented better in the X100 series. I'd like the X100 to be a bit larger too. However, it is also fine as is. The X-E series is by far the worse feeling of the lot. I don't care for it at all. I wouldn't mind it being discontinued if they don't do a complete overhaul of it.

Old 08-16-2016   #21
back alley
IMAGES

i like the feel of the x cameras just fine...but i would not turn down a slightly heftier, more robust body.
i might move away from fuji should they ever decide to dump the x bodies...i don't want a mini dslr shaped body and i don't need an ovf plus a evf in one body.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 08-16-2016   #22
aizan

i just don't get why the x100 and x-e have the same build quality as cameras like the x-t10 and x30 when it seems that the users would generally want it to be more like the x-pro2 and x-t2. i guess 60% either don't care or wouldn't want to pay for it since it's good enough for them.

Old 08-16-2016   #23
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Cost to produce and price would increase; Fuji would sell fewer of them.
I doubt this would make financial sense to Fuji.

Chris

Old 09-10-2016   #24
twopointeight

I started using the XE2s alongside XT1 bodies professionally. I would like to see the XE line made tougher. For example, the on/off switch is too soft and easily turned on unintentionally. And the battery door, way too flimsy, an easy upgrade. I don't think uggrading the XE bodies will hurt sales of XT/XP bodies.

Old 09-10-2016   #25
DNG
Film Friendly

I think, for Fuji, having the same build quality for the X100/E series/T series/Pro series could have the built quality, since only one model at a time is on the market as current... save the the "T" series which has 2 models that are current. (T2, and T10... T1 will be discontinued if it isn't already)

And that it seems that the X100T/E2/Pro 2, are considered top models for their line, and very different in design.

I have owed an X-E2, and own an X100T now, and they are similar in that they are both a RF like design, with the X100T going a step closer with a hybrid VF. and fixed lens, and the Pro adding interchangeable lenses.

The X100T could use weather sealing, being a fixed lens camera this should be easier, and a shutter to 100k..I find the X100T very durable as is, just these two added features would be nice, but a deal breaker.

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 10-03-2016   #26
Pavel+

I rate the feel of the X100s as BETTER compared to my X-Pro1. It's a jewel and I don't care one bit about water resistance because that always raises the price. The X100s oozes quality in every button click and if they made the line-up a trio, with say a 16 and 50 body to go along with the current 23 f 2.0 - I'd probably hardly ever take with me and shoot with anything else, much of the time.

Old 10-04-2016   #27
jsrockit

Yeah, to me the X-Pro and X-T are more solid, but the X100 is pretty nice too. I like all of the Fujis except the X-E series (which are still nice compared to most other mirrorless cameras).