Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Review: Univex Mercury Model CC (With Photos)
Old 04-27-2016   #1
eckmanmj

Thumbs up Review: Univex Mercury Model CC (With Photos)

I spent quite a while working on this review over the winter. Cleaning the body, restoring the shutter and loosening up the helical. I was able to get this Univex Mercury CC in good working condition.

Now thats where most people stop, because this camera used a special Type 200 Univex film that hasn't been made since before WWII, but its so close in size to regular 35mm film that I was able to adapt the film to work in this camera.

So here is my full review, along with some history, a neat video showing how the Mercury rotary shutter works, and some scans of my first test roll of the original Mercury. I have to believe that not many of these are in use anywhere else in the world.

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2016/04/un...model-cc-1938/

Old 04-27-2016   #2
Spavinaw

Interesting that the Depth of Focus chart is now what we call depth of field. Today depth of focus refers to the focal point tolerance back at the film plane inside the camera.

Old 04-27-2016   #3
jsrockit

Wow, interesting and unique.

Old 04-27-2016   #4
farlymac
PF McFarland

I always wondered if one could adapt 35mm film to these. Good job on figuring it out, Mike, and a great blog post too.

PF

Old 04-27-2016   #5
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I always wondered if one could adapt 35mm film to these. Good job on figuring it out, Mike, and a great blog post too.

PF
Thanks for the compliments!

In an indirect way, I have you to thank. Had it not been for your Mercury II CLA post, most likely I would have never had any interest in the Mercury II, which then would have meant I would have not sought out the first model to try and resurrect.

Old 05-12-2016   #6
goamules

I love it when someone takes the time to get an antique working again. I'm sure it will attract attention when you take it out also. Good job.

My Flickr Photos

Old 07-26-2016   #7
unixrevolution

I have an original Mercury, and I have known that they take 35mm for years. But I thought you had to take both spools out, wind it in the dark, load it in the dark, and do the reverse *also* in the dark when done. Is there a way to slip a 35mm film can in there?

Thanks for the review, I love these little things. A late friend of mine called my Mercury "The Parking Meter"

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 08-08-2016   #8
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
I have an original Mercury, and I have known that they take 35mm for years. But I thought you had to take both spools out, wind it in the dark, load it in the dark, and do the reverse *also* in the dark when done. Is there a way to slip a 35mm film can in there?

Thanks for the review, I love these little things. A late friend of mine called my Mercury "The Parking Meter"
I go over how to load standard 35mm into the Univex, but you definitely have to do it in the dark, and you cannot use the 35mm film cassette. The Mercury's door will not close with the cassette in the camera.

It sounds intimidating, but it's really not. Read my review for how I did it.

Old 08-09-2016   #9
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckmanmj View Post
I go over how to load standard 35mm into the Univex, but you definitely have to do it in the dark, and you cannot use the 35mm film cassette. The Mercury's door will not close with the cassette in the camera.

It sounds intimidating, but it's really not. Read my review for how I did it.
Oh, I've done it before. But I thought this was common knowledge. The way you were talking about it in your original post made it sound like you figured out something new regarding loading the film.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 08-09-2016   #10
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
Oh, I've done it before. But I thought this was common knowledge. The way you were talking about it in your original post made it sound like you figured out something new regarding loading the film.
No, there is no physical way a 35mm cassette could ever fit into one of these as it's simply too small.

In my research for this model, in every instance where someone loaded 135 format 35mm film into the camera, they always seemed to use Univex specific cartridges. Heck, Univex even made a 35mm reloadable cartridge for this specific purpose.

Since I didn't have either option at my disposal, I just loaded the film into the camera "loose". its definitely not ideal and there is a real risk of damaging the film, but it did work for me so I just thought I would share my experience!

Univex !
Old 08-09-2016   #11
AZPhotog
Keith S

Univex !

eckmanmj, thanks for that fantastic article at the site. What an amazing, innovative camera. I had seen one before but never realized of its design features and history. And the placement of strap lugs, nice.
Now I want one.
Wanna bet your article sparks a few eBay sales?