Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Old 10-09-2008   #81
nomade
Hobbyist

I've a problem the glass prism of the view finder is reflecting the cover!
Digital: Nikon D7000
SLR: Minolta XG-M

Lens Collection: Jupiter 9&12, MD.W Rokkor 35 mm f2.8, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4, makinon 24mm f2.8, Soligor zoom 70/150 mm f3.5, Nikkor 18-105, Fisheye Rokinon, Sigma 12-22, Sigma Macro 70-300
New additions: Ikon Zeiss & Polaroid Socialmatic

My gallery
My blog

Last edited by nomade : 10-09-2008 at 04:56.

Old 02-08-2009   #82
mark-b

Great work, thanks! I hope it stays here, for the time I have to do this myself

Old 09-09-2010   #83
ejfrolich

Thank you...
Just got my Fed 2 today. I bought it from an EBay seller. It looked ok and was very cheap. When I unpacked I found the vertical and horizontal alignment were way of. The range-finder was dirty en the lens was turning so heavy it came off the camera...
I found your article very helpful. So my Fed 2 is now clean, has a good aligned range-finder and a smooth operating lens. I did it in just over 2 hours. I do not have any experience in repairing camera's but I can manage and that makes me more confident for the future and my other range-finders.

I have a Zorki 4, Kiev 4AM, Fed 2 and 3. Just because I could not make a choice... I opened my Fed 2 and made it mine this way. I hope the first pictures turn out OK!

Last edited by ejfrolich : 09-23-2010 at 02:10. Reason: some verry wrong thougts about this article removed!

Old 12-18-2010   #84
ChrisCummins
Couch Photographer.

Hi, regarding the post on disassembling the two parts of the rangefinder lens, how is this actually achieved? Does the inner part of the two piece construction just unscrew anti clock wise or is there not even a screw thread? Thanks

Old 08-11-2012   #85
Martytoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCummins View Post
Hi, regarding the post on disassembling the two parts of the rangefinder lens, how is this actually achieved? Does the inner part of the two piece construction just unscrew anti clock wise or is there not even a screw thread? Thanks
I am also looking for the same information. I have an RF lens that I need to disassemble (came out in one piece) to adjust the vertical match, but I can't figure out how this lens works. I have in my hands, essentially one piece. The black inner lens with the silver "trim" seemingly affixed, and no way to adjust the inner window.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this!

Old 08-18-2012   #86
wolves3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoof View Post
I am also looking for the same information. I have an RF lens that I need to disassemble (came out in one piece) to adjust the vertical match, but I can't figure out how this lens works. I have in my hands, essentially one piece. The black inner lens with the silver "trim" seemingly affixed, and no way to adjust the inner window.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this!
The RF window is in 3 pieces. There is an outer chrome bezel which unscrews to reveal the inner two pieces. Sometimes, the bezel also removes the whole assembly. The inner pieces screw into the body and basically the outer part is an externally-threaded short tube. Inside that is the innermost piece which is a metal-surrounded window. This is just pushed in place and locked to the outer part with shellac after the initial adjustment. The inner and outer parts each have 2 small notches to allow them to be turned.

Hope that helps as to how it's made up!
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-31-2012   #87
Martytoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves3012 View Post
The RF window is in 3 pieces. There is an outer chrome bezel which unscrews to reveal the inner two pieces. Sometimes, the bezel also removes the whole assembly. The inner pieces screw into the body and basically the outer part is an externally-threaded short tube. Inside that is the innermost piece which is a metal-surrounded window. This is just pushed in place and locked to the outer part with shellac after the initial adjustment. The inner and outer parts each have 2 small notches to allow them to be turned.

Hope that helps as to how it's made up!
Hmm. Thank you for this! Unfortunately I'm still at a loss for how to separate the chrome bezel. I understand now that it's screwed to the inner retaining ring, but it just won't budge. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the outer ring as it will almost certainly destroy the threads which screw into the camera body, so using pliers or vise grips is out of the question. I've put the entire assembly into some rubbing alcohol for a few days hoping it would dissolve any grime that was holding the pieces together, but sadly it appears that had no effect. I might just have to call it a day on this particular piece and perhaps find a parts camera to salvage a better eyepiece, but I'll keep trying for a little while longer

Old 07-28-2017   #88
kotokot21
Wrenchfinder

Please, reupload the pictures! The links are broken!

flickr

Old 07-29-2017   #89
Laika

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotokot21 View Post
Please, reupload the pictures! The links are broken!
Sorry about the broken links... My images are hosted by photobucket which up until the 31st of June 2017 allowed free hosting and embedding (for the last 14yrs) in forums like this one. As of the 1st of July without warning they have disabled embedding unless users pay an annual fee of $400 USD.

Anyone know a reliable, easy to use and free host that allow 3rd
party embedding?

Old 07-29-2017   #90
johnf04

I think you'll find all of the free hosting services will go the same way as Photobucket. I grasped the nettle, and set up my own web page to host pictures for linking.

Old 07-31-2017   #91
kotokot21
Wrenchfinder

Maybe public images in dropbox?

flickr

Old 5 Days Ago   #92
kotokot21
Wrenchfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Sorry about the broken links... My images are hosted by photobucket which up until the 31st of June 2017 allowed free hosting and embedding (for the last 14yrs) in forums like this one. As of the 1st of July without warning they have disabled embedding unless users pay an annual fee of $400 USD.

Anyone know a reliable, easy to use and free host that allow 3rd
party embedding?
Maybe flickr?

flickr