Old 08-07-2018   #1801
Erik van Straten

An LTM Elmar with f/22 is the latest model, formerly known as the "red scale" Elmar. I don't know the price of these, take a look on eBay for how much they go. Watch out, because there are lots of red scale Elmars out there that are only converted old ones.

Personally I would look for a nickel Elmar in a very good condition. Together with the Color Skopar you'll then have the best of two worlds for your black and nickel Leica II. But that's me, not you.

Erik.

Old 08-07-2018   #1802
K14

I just got a 50's F/22 Elmar from a forum member here last week. Came with the hood and orange filter. $175.

The Summar 5cm does really nice closeup work with the Nooky.

My 36 Summar with a Nooky attachment

Old 08-07-2018   #1803
Artingei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
An LTM Elmar with f/22 is the latest model, formerly known as the "red scale" Elmar. I don't know the price of these, take a look on eBay for how much they go. Watch out, because there are lots of red scale Elmars out there that are only converted old ones.

Personally I would look for a nickel Elmar in a very good condition. Together with the Color Skopar you'll then have the best of two worlds for your black and nickel Leica II. But that's me, not you.

Erik.
My Nickel Elmar arrived today. I'll get it CLAed someday, but for now it's fine without haze, just some dust and dirt inside.

HP5+ @ 800 is drying right now and it seems I didn't extend it fully on some shots. I had an Elmar-M 3.5 a year ago and I have an Industar-22 where this never happened to me.

Edit: Here are some shots from my first film with this setup: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...&postcount=244
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sasfasf.jpg (62.6 KB, 25 views)

Old 08-07-2018   #1804
d.dulin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by K14 View Post
I just got a 50's F/22 Elmar from a forum member here last week. Came with the hood and orange filter. $175.
Thatís a reasonable price! Right around the price I wouldnít mind spending, everything seems to be upwards of $200 or $250

Old 08-07-2018   #1805
K14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dulin View Post
That’s a reasonable price! Right around the price I wouldn’t mind spending, everything seems to be upwards of $200 or $250
The forum here is a good place to buy. Ebay eats into the sellers profits so I see why they are higher priced.

As for your Nooky, though it doesn't say but the Elmar flange fits perfectly. There are folks who have shot successfully with this combination.

Gary

Old 08-07-2018   #1806
presspass
filmshooter

Which Elmars take the A36 filters? Are they limited to the uuncoated ones or do the later Elmars also take that filter size? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2018   #1807
Livesteamer

A36 filters clamp on the outside of the lens. There is an e bay seller that sells A36 UV filters that are old frames fitted with new UV filter glass. I have no connection with that seller. I went a different route and bought a new Heliopan UV filter in 19mm which screws into the center of the Elmar lens and has worked on both my 50mm and 35mm Elmars. Be patient and you will find the filters that work best for you. Joe

Old 08-07-2018   #1808
presspass
filmshooter

Thanks. What I wanted to know is which Elmars take A36 and which ones use 39mm filters.

Old 08-07-2018   #1809
Livesteamer

I think the M mount Elmar's take the 39mm filters. A36 is for the screw mount Elmar's. Joe

Old 08-07-2018   #1810
Deardorff38

Really liking the 35 Elmar 3.5. Such a tiny lens. Ideal on the iii

25F82210-6026-449F-BBB2-DA444281A108 by , on Flickr

Old 08-07-2018   #1811
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Really liking the 35 Elmar 3.5. Such a tiny lens. Ideal on the iii
25F82210-6026-449F-BBB2-DA444281A108 by , on Flickr
beautiful combo.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 08-08-2018   #1812
Erik van Straten

The 35mm Elmar f/3.5 is an excellent performer if the elements are clean. The elements are so tiny and all these lenses are so old that they often are hazy. A good cleaning does miracles.

Leica I model C, Elmar 35mm f/3.5 thick cam, 400-2TMY.

Erik.

Old 08-08-2018   #1813
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Beautiful picture Erik.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 08-08-2018   #1814
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

These 19mm Kenko filter sets show up, sometimes for less than a single filter.

Old 08-08-2018   #1815
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
These 19mm Kenko filter sets show up, sometimes for less than a single filter.

...Nice!...

Flickr

Old 08-08-2018   #1816
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Beautiful picture Erik.

Thank you, Pan.

Old 08-10-2018   #1817
d.dulin

Has anyone ever had strap lugs added to a screw mount camera that didnít previously have them? Thinking about asking Youxin Ye what he would charge or is modifying a screw mount total heresy

Old 08-10-2018   #1818
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Has anyone ever had strap lugs added to a screw mount camera that didn’t previously have them? Thinking about asking Youxin Ye what he would charge or is modifying a screw mount total heresy
It is very difficult to make strap lugs on a Leica. If the hole is one micron too big, the lug wil slip out. Remember that Leica only makes two kinds of lugs: new ones and replacement ones. The replacement ones are one micron or so bigger to fit well in the old hole. When a replacement lug gets loose, end of story.

Erik.

Old 08-13-2018   #1819
splitimageview

It would be preferable to acquire a replacement shell with lugs. I have purchased them in the past from DAG, for example. Have acquired various other parts from camera shops in the past, for example a 'stepper' IIIc shell with top and bottom plate, which I used to restore another IIIc.

Old 08-14-2018   #1820
d.dulin

Too bad the cost of those shells are almost as high as what I paid for the actual body! Guess I’ll take the same route as everyone else and get a halfcase for when I want to be able to wear it around my neck and maybe a wrist strap for the rest of the time. It’s just a shame the half case ruins such a clean looking camera and makes it much more bulky..

On another note I recently got my Canon Sure Shot Owl as the donor for my metro case viewfinder and the frame lines are all but invisible, anyone else had this issue?

Old 08-14-2018   #1821
Gregm61

Quote:
Has anyone ever had strap lugs added to a screw mount camera that didn’t previously have them? Thinking about asking Youxin Ye what he would charge or is modifying a screw mount total heresy
One of the better (reliable) Leica sellers on eBay has a Standard that had the factory add lungs at some point in the past..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Black...0AAOSwe91bbeVy

Old 08-14-2018   #1822
d.dulin

I also found this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-IIIB-...-/302599435815 I wonder if it could be used on a iid body as long as the slow speeds portion is covered?

Old 08-14-2018   #1823
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I also found this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-IIIB-...-/302599435815 I wonder if it could be used on a iid body as long as the slow speeds portion is covered?
Many cameras that were converted after the war got a shell like this. The slow speeds portion was covered with a small lid. If you can find such a lid ... but that will be difficult I'm afraid.

Erik.

Old 08-14-2018   #1824
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
First, glue a small disk cut from a soda can over the holes, than order a new leather cover from www.hugostudio.com for a Leica III where you request strap lugs cut out only, but not the slow times mechanism.

And voila, you have a body shell for a Leica II with strap lugs installed.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-14-2018   #1825
d.dulin

I did want to have mine covered in grip tac but couldnít bring myself to get rid of the original covering because itís in such good condition, but if I do the iii shell i wouldnít have any qualms with covering it in grip tac.

How involved is swapping the shell? If nothing but the lens mount and body screws have to be removed I may even do it myself.

Old 08-14-2018   #1826
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
I did want to have mine covered in grip tac but couldnít bring myself to get rid of the original covering because itís in such good condition, but if I do the iii sheíll i wouldnít have any qualms with covering it in grip tac.

How involved is swapping the shell? If nothing but the lens mount and body screws have to be removed I may even do it myself.
You will need to re-collimate the lens. There must be a thread showing how this is done but I can't find it.

Old 08-14-2018   #1827
Erik van Straten

You'll need to re-collimate the lens setting (screw thread), not the lens itself. Very hard without special apparatus.

Erik.

Old 08-16-2018   #1828
d.dulin

Had a chance to develop my test roll today and the curtains are light tight! However, unfortunately the sprocket holes show on the bottom portion of the photo. I think I remember someone here once saying the reason for this and was hoping someone could chime in.

Old 08-16-2018   #1829
maddoc
... likes film.

Modern film canisters are about 2 mm shorter than those used when the I, II or early III camera models were made. However, you can use modern, shorter film canister with the help of a thin plastic ring that pushed the film canister in direction of the top plate.

If you use reloadable Leitz FILCA film canister (which only fit screwmount Leicas) the problem also will be solved since those are of the correct length.

flickr
pBase

Old 08-16-2018   #1830
weihsuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Modern film canisters are about 2 mm shorter than those used when the I, II or early III camera models were made. However, you can use modern, shorter film canister with the help of a thin plastic ring that pushed the film canister in direction of the top plate.

If you use reloadable Leitz FILCA film canister (which only fit screwmount Leicas) the problem also will be solved since those are of the correct length.
Hi, regarding using a thin plastic ring (~2mm in thickness?), should I mount the plastic ring on the bottom plate such that the film canister is pushed towards the top plate? Just acquired a "hockey stick" Leica I, and have no clue about incompatibility of canisters.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-16-2018   #1831
maddoc
... likes film.

I use a thin Teflon ring of ~ 1.5 mm thickness that I put on top of the film canister before mounting the base plate. It just needs to push the film canister up.

EDIT: The film canister are only incompatible in the way that you cannot use old (longer) FILCA canister in M Leicas. The shorter film canister work in the old screwmount Leicas but part of the frame can be shifted into the sprocket hole area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weihsuan View Post
Hi, regarding using a thin plastic ring (~2mm in thickness?), should I mount the plastic ring on the bottom plate such that the film canister is pushed towards the top plate? Just acquired a "hockey stick" Leica I, and have no clue about incompatibility of canisters.

Thank you in advance!

flickr
pBase

Old 08-16-2018   #1832
weihsuan

Thank you for your reply and explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I use a thin Teflon ring of ~ 1.5 mm thickness that I put on top of the film canister before mounting the base plate. It just needs to push the film canister up.

EDIT: The film canister are only incompatible in the way that you cannot use old (longer) FILCA canister in M Leicas. The shorter film canister work in the old screwmount Leicas but part of the frame can be shifted into the sprocket hole area.

Old 08-17-2018   #1833
d.dulin

I think Iíve found the solution Iíd be happier with, it involves removing the factory washer under the center screw for the on/off lever and replacing it with one that is wider in diameter to hold the film up

Old 08-18-2018   #1834
Jerevan
Recycled User

Quote:
I think Iíve found the solution Iíd be happier with, it involves removing the factory washer under the center screw for the on/off lever and replacing it with one that is wider in diameter to hold the film up
I just turned the factory washer upside and put in again.

Old 08-18-2018   #1835
d.dulin

I ended up drilling a hole in a penny (US) about 1.8mm thick and installing it in place of the original washer. Iíll let you all know if it worked once I shoot another roll

Old 08-19-2018   #1836
David Hughes
David Hughes

Here they all are side by side:-

And here, with the film carefully aligned and held in place by a paperclip, are an elderly FILCA and a modern Ilford FP3 Plus cassette. I hope this shows the clear difference in the positioning of the film.

Regards, David

PS I hope it's obvious what all the different cassettes are...

Old 08-19-2018   #1837
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Quote:
I ended up drilling a hole in a penny (US) about 1.8mm thick and installing it in place of the original washer. Iíll let you all know if it worked once I shoot another roll
Nice idea! Hope it works. Do you put the penny / washer in before the film cassette? Or after? (Please forgive the silly question: I've only loaded a Barnack once -- a few days ago -- and am waiting to finish the roll to be able to see whether I loaded it properly or not.)

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-20-2018   #1838
d.dulin

Kevin,

From what others have said it goes on the bottom plate, which is where I put mine. Iíll hopefully run a roll through it soon to see how well it worked

Old 08-20-2018   #1839
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Thanks! And do please post findings.

Quote:
Kevin,

From what others have said it goes on the bottom plate, which is where I put mine. Iíll hopefully run a roll through it soon to see how well it worked

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 09-02-2018   #1840
d.dulin

Haven’t shot a roll through the iid since the penny mod but I’m curious about using a SCNOO rapid winder, direct compatibility with the iid or is any kind of modification needed?