Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 07-28-2010   #81
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer3.5 View Post
Hi, i find very usefull my lomography bag it´s sold in an odd combo, this small one with a larger one.
I use only this one, i can stick in it two bodies, three lenses and 5-6 rolls of film.
It´s very small, easy to use, made of thick cloth, has a broad smooth strap and noone notices it.

Take a look!
You may want to get two Domke inserts. Those canvas are not thin, but it won't protect your camera from sharp/hard edges.

Old 07-28-2010   #82
keepright
matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i cannot find a pic of the hadley open or with gear in it.

it looks lovely on the outside.
A few photos, the first with its contents spilled - I had packed for a day-trip to an exotic foreign city, 'Chicago' - and a couple of others from a short write-up of it. The camera in these photos is the Panasonic GH1.

Insert removed from the bag:

And the Hadley Pro in use:

I find it carries about as much as the Domke F6, but carries it very differently. My 'Sand' F6 now lives in the closet, but I could see bringing it out when faster access or a less-dressy burlap-sack look would be appropriate. Both are very nice bags.

The biggest problem that I have with my BHP is that I'd like something smaller, but the smaller Billinghams do tend to look like purses, as others have pointed out. And now that I have the Hadley Pro, it's hard to look at the typical camera-store brands. It's a dilemma.

Old 07-28-2010   #83
Chris C

I'm generally a 1 lens/1 body and a bunch of film kind of guy, so I just have the camera over my shoulder on a strap, and carry the film and other bits and pieces in a Manhatten Portage expanding messenger bag (http://www.manhattanportage.com/cata...Expandable/112).
If it buckets down or I just want to tuck it away I just throw the camera inside. I find padded bags just get annoying after about 10 steps.

Old 07-28-2010   #84
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
For a day bag, I have found the BBB -- Bare Bones Bag -- to meet your criteria. I use an A&A bag for carrying more gear while travelling, but as a day bag I haven't found a more suitable minimalist bag.
I concur. The BBB is terrific for a day bag. However, a bit crowded for two cameras. One camera (with lens), two lenses, and a flash works great for me.

Now trying to figure out what to do for travel to Latin America (Peru).

Me on flickr.

Old 07-28-2010   #85
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.Scharp View Post
For that I, like Brian Puccio, have an R-strap.

Rain, snow, cold: It is my experience that if I can take it, my camera usually can too. And if it can't, what the point of going out in that weather?

As for two cameras, for that I have this (although I don't (yet) have two M's)

I do often carry a backpack or a small waist-pack for other assorted items, and I often slip in one or two extra lenses (and loads of film) in that. For longer hikes, I have this strapped to my backpack (site in dutch, sorry). Will hold an SLR with a small to medium-sized lens, and can easily hold my M3 with lens and two additional lenses (and probably more). Directly within reach, and no more strain than a normal backpack.

All kidding aside, I heartily recommend the Chestpack for people who often hike with a backpack and a camera. Sure beats having to take the pack off each time you want to take a picture.
I live in NYC, and I tend to leave the house always with at least one camera. Sounds like you live in a more rural area and YMMV.

When weather is good, and I'm taking only one camera I just take the camera and some film.

When that Yankee pitcher's plane crashed into a highrise along the East River not long ago, my building where I work was evacuated. I had the perfect opportunity to take a shot that I could easily sell to A.P., but I had no camera.

Also all kinds of weird stuff seems to happen to me. NYC is a great place to shoot, but a perfect bag hasn't been made yet.

I'm pretty rigid about carrying at least one camera, now.

Cal

Old 07-28-2010   #86
Andy Kibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
I am convinced that altering and modifying what's out there to one's particular needs is the only way to go. Great example above.
I agree. Find something that basically works and make a couple of modifications if necessary. The bag aficionados aren't hurting anyone and are, of course, free to do as they wish but I don't understand them at all.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2010   #87
ampguy

Thanks

That bag, and the smaller one look really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Ted, I never use the metal clips on my F2, it's too cumbersome for frequent open and close when taking my camera out.

The velcro on the flap is enough for keeping things in and sticky-fingers out.

Another thing I like about the F2 is that after being used a while, it assumes that beat-up look that makes me look like just another guy on the street.

I dislike bags that call attention to itself, those are for the ladies

Old 07-28-2010   #88
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarker13 View Post
My perfect camera bag isn't a camera bag. It's actually more of a tactical/military bag. Very comfortable on the shoulder. It's light on padding, but I just tossed in a two-slot Domke insert and boom - perfection.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...IPACK-4p49.htm
Now THIS is a camera bag! http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ACK-4p1332.htm You could probably fit a stinger in there.

Me on flickr.

Old 07-28-2010   #89
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo0h View Post
Now THIS is a camera bag! http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ACK-4p1332.htm You could probably fit a stinger in there.
I'm a big fan of their stuff. Extremely well made, super durable, very strong fasteners and quite light. And probably because they have large law enforcement / military customers, they've got lefty (right shouldered) models for most of non-symmetrical bags. That's a huge plus for me.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 07-28-2010   #90
ashfaque
Learning

Just a novice inquiry. How much will it cost you if you supply the leather/cloth? Also any such place in UK?

Ash

ps: I like that Billingham Hadley (black one). Is it possible to carry a 14'' laptop in it as well?

Last edited by ashfaque : 07-28-2010 at 11:31.

Old 07-28-2010   #91
swoop

My Domke F-6 is just about there. I just wish it a bit deeper and wider and the stupid strap buckles weren't so close to the edge and had room for a small laptop.

Old 07-28-2010   #92
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Another favorite is Timbuk2. This and whatever padded insert makes great non-camera-bag looking camera bag. And you can make one custom made to your liking (material, shoulder pref, interior lining, etc).

XS can carry 4 XS cameras plus a lot more.

Just made another custom bag with TPU material. It's perfect size for Temba messenger bag insert. I can carry Hassy, Mamiya 7 and Leica M with ease.

Front: Small, Middle: Extra Small, Back: Medium with laptop insert + enough room for Temba insert.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Last edited by coelacanth : 07-28-2010 at 11:36.

Old 07-28-2010   #93
paulfish4570

I like that little Oasis bag shown above ...

Old 07-28-2010   #94
Spleenrippa
Yes, Right There

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
I like that little Oasis bag shown above ...
Yes, that is a nice looking bag. Anyone have more info on it? My Google-fu doesn't appear to be working.

Old 07-28-2010   #95
B.J.Scharp
Film fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
I live in NYC, and I tend to leave the house always with at least one camera. Sounds like you live in a more rural area and YMMV.

When weather is good, and I'm taking only one camera I just take the camera and some film.

When that Yankee pitcher's plane crashed into a highrise along the East River not long ago, my building where I work was evacuated. I had the perfect opportunity to take a shot that I could easily sell to A.P., but I had no camera.

Also all kinds of weird stuff seems to happen to me. NYC is a great place to shoot, but a perfect bag hasn't been made yet.

I'm pretty rigid about carrying at least one camera, now.

Cal
Like you, I always have my M3 with me. When I go to work, it's in a side-pocket of the backpack I use to carry my normal day-to-day stuff, otherwise, it's either on a belt-clip (if I don't expect to use it) or on my R-strap.

The great thing about M's is that they're small enough to carry everywhere.

I live in the city too, btw.

Oasis Bags.
Old 07-28-2010   #96
Krosya
Konicaze

Oasis Bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenrippa View Post
Yes, that is a nice looking bag. Anyone have more info on it? My Google-fu doesn't appear to be working.
Both of mine came from Ebay. One (larger one) came with a Camera set I got - so basically free. Still in a great condition. Smaller one - also ebay - was new, with tags and all. From what I gather, these are no longer made, but come up here and there from time to time. I think some small camera stores/chains sold these at some point. They are very well made with good padding (more so on a larger bag). I'd recommend them - if you can find them.I dont know of any other models of Oasis, but I'd imagine they made more than just these two:

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Last edited by Krosya : 08-06-2010 at 07:53.

Old 07-28-2010   #97
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I've never have been able to understand this bag fetish that many seem stricken with!

I have three ... a four year old Lowpro that will hold almost any camera and three lenses I own with a bit of fiddling, a Domke F5XB which is a great walk around bag if you don't like camera straps ... and some ugly old thing that was given to me that came from a chain store which will actually hold my Crown and a bunch of film holders and light meter etc.

The whole lot probaly owes me less than $150.00 and I couldn't imagine wanting or needing any more!

I gather Joe and quite a few others have cupboards full of the things and there seems to be this constant debate over which one is better to use on any given occasion! ???

Last edited by Keith : 07-29-2010 at 01:12.

Old 07-29-2010   #98
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I never have been able to understand this bag fetish that many seem stricken with!

I have three ... a four year old Lowpro that will hold almost any camera and three lenses I own with a bit of fiddling, a Domke F5XB which is a great walk around bag if you don't like camera straps ... and some ugly old thing that was given to me that came from a chain store which will actually hold my Crown and a bunch of film holders and light meter etc.

The whole lot probaly owes me less than $150.00 and I couldn't imagine wanting or needing any more!

I gather Joe and quite a few others have cupboards full of the things and there seems to be this constant debate over which one is better to use on any given occasion! ???

Three still seems excessive, I only have the one ...

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 07-29-2010   #99
keepright
matthew

Quote:
I've never have been able to understand this bag fetish that many seem stricken with!

My fiancee loves that I have more bags than she does. She never has to worry about bringing a new one home, and hers are invariably cheaper than mine, too.

My Billingham Hadley Pro is my main bag - if it doesn't fit there, I don't carry it. Usually.

I also have a Domke F1x, which is my bag for my SLR+Strobes kit.

My Domke F6 was mostly retired by the BHP, but I still use it when the Hadley's too dressy or I need its different configuration.

I really should just sell my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. I never did like that bag, and no longer own the lenses I bought it for.

I have a Tamrac Velocity series, one of the early sling-bags, which lives as an insert in a backpack that I use every now and then.

I gave away my Lowepro Micro Trekker - I hated it, wrong size for me - and sold the Think Tank Glass Taxi that I replaced it with as well. I've shed a lot of equipment in the past year, and smaller cameras don't need bigger bags.

And maybe I'll eventually find a use for the two top-load zoom 'holster' cases that I bought when I knew nothing. Maybe.

I've never outfitted either of my Timbuk2 bags with inserts, but I'll almost always add a camera - usually wrapped in a small towel - when I'm using them for carrying the rest of my life. My Seal Line shoulder bag, despite having no inserts either, is my wet-weather camera carrier. Again, a bunch of hand towels takes care of the padding duties. They're something like $2 at walwart, so I have lots.

So I'm going to say that I'm not guilty - I know exactly which bag to use for every possible specific occasion.

Old 07-29-2010   #100
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
I don't either, Keith.
The same way I don't get the need of multiple M-camera and lenses

But it's fun to see what others use in terms of bag.

Old 07-29-2010   #101
back alley
IMAGES

are we all done talking about bags?

Old 07-29-2010   #102
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

Quote:
Sure, until I can afford to buy a Domke or Billingham to see what I'm missing...

Seriously, I have one of those National Geographic bags, which look great but are woefully unusable that I take on some local trips, plus a Tenba messenger bag that I can use when I fly to put the cameras and laptop in one bag, plus two sizes of LowePro bags.

And, I'm STILL looking for the "perfect" bag...

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 07-29-2010   #103
robklurfield
eclipse

If there is no perfect bag, then perhaps the PERFECT BAG IS NO BAG... I mean, maybe try to carry one camera, one lens and no bag for a while; it might be liberating. Personally, I've been carrying my M2 or M8 all summer in a 3 Million Dollar Crumpler while riding my bike. Bought the bag used for $29 on ebay. Can't be happier. At 8 miles an hour it's good; at 35 miles an hour (downhill of course) it's good. And, it's good at every speed in between.

Bag on my shoulder/back and M8 in hand at 19 or 20mph (a little tailwind assist to be honest)...

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 07-29-2010   #104
maddoc
... likes film.

I wonder how many $$$ sum up buying & trying various camera bags ...

flickr
pBase

Old 07-29-2010   #105
robklurfield
eclipse

a good reason in my book to buy used ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I wonder how many $$$ sum up buying & trying various camera bags ...

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

Old 07-29-2010   #106
Krosya
Konicaze

Quote:
Well, you started it......

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 07-29-2010   #107
back alley
IMAGES

if i were rich i would probably own more bags than gear.

David Allan Harvey's stash of camera bags
Old 07-30-2010   #108
Ljós

David Allan Harvey's stash of camera bags

Folks,
I just stumbled across this:
http://www.picturestoryblog.com/2010...ive-a-way.html

If you think you have a lot of bags.... think again. :-)

From the audio:
"David, we will have to go buy you a new camera bag!"
DAH: "Well, that's always a possibility." :-)

Greetings, Ljós

Last edited by Ljós : 07-30-2010 at 04:12.

Old 07-30-2010   #109
ped
Small brown dog

Haha great video.

Old 07-30-2010   #110
robklurfield
eclipse

Wow! Crazy. Joe, you have long way to go before you can match that "collection" of bags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljós View Post
Folks,
I just stumbled across this:
http://www.picturestoryblog.com/2010...ive-a-way.html

If you think you have a lot of bags.... think again. :-)

From the audio:
"David, we will have to go buy you a new camera bag!"
DAH: "Well, that's always a possibility." :-)

Greetings, Ljós

Old 07-30-2010   #111
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
if i were rich i would probably own more bags than gear.
Finding the right bag is harder than finding the right gear.

Chris

Old 07-30-2010   #112
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Finding the right bag is harder than finding the right gear.

Chris
ain't THAT the truth!!

Old 07-30-2010   #113
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

I use the Domke F3X a lot. Right now it contains a 5D, 70-200 f4L 17-35 f2.8L, 24-85, and 50mm macro lenses, a flash, batteries, flash cards, etc. In fact, even though it's a compact bag it holds more than I want to carry unless I'm actually working.

I've read this thread with interest, because I'm looking for a bag for the E-PL1 outfit I'm putting together as a travel kit. Eventually it will include two bodies and about four lenses, two of which will be OM lenses with adapters.

In many ways, my all-time most useful bag is the Tundra Chameleon. I don't think it's made any longer, but in the 80s and 90s when photojournalism assignments took me to 27 countries on five continents, the Chameleon carried my complete Olympus OM system. The bag is expandable. via a zipper, to twice its size, so I could carry everything to my location, then close the zipper and carry only what I needed for the day's shooting. My Chameleon is still in good shape, is used occasionally, and will probably outlast me. If you find one on ebay or somewhere, grab it if the price is right.

My blog: alifeinphotography.blogspot.com
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. Available wherever books are sold.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies): Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 07-30-2010   #114
jbielikowski
call me Jan

I have huuuge crumpler, but no more loads of stuff so I USE NO BAG... The thing is, there is no perfect strap

Old 07-30-2010   #115
keepright
matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
I USE NO BAG... The thing is, there is no perfect strap
Ain't that the truth!

Even if it's a one-lens-one-camera day, I always use a bag. Often it's just a simple sling-bag that's identical to the type that every fourth person in this city carries. A personal rule is that I won't have a camera in my hand within sight of my apartment building. I've heard too many stories of photographer's homes being broken into to let people get used to seeing me with a parade of expensive gear. Paranoid, no doubt, but I prefer it that way.

Old 07-30-2010   #116
arunrajmohan

Even when I go to a park, I want my m3 or 4 or 6 with a BW film in it AND I might also want an F100 to use with films with narrow latitude like a velvia 50. Of course I carry a nikon d300 as well. And on certain occasions, I want my graflex crown... and a bag full of fidelity elites. I am not carrying all of these at the same time but a minimum of two of the above. Exclusions are based on things like, no crown on a narrow dark heavily forested trail, no D300 at 10.30 pm in a spooky neighborhood etc. etc. I do not even want to talk of going on trips abroad... or those nikon lenses... I want to carry my 15" laptop too. Do I have the guts to just go anywhere with my M3 and 5 Tri-xs? Yep, possible and impossible. I almost did just that when I went to an air show (happens once every 4 years at this location) with an M6, a 90mm and a few reala. When I was at the air show I wished I had this and that. But looking back at it today and the photographs from the occasion, I am glad I travelled without the pain on my shoulders.

There are always bags to suit a camera and its lens and another body, it is just that there are no bags to suit our whims and fearful expectations of missing our goals and doing all at the same time. Of course we expect to carry lots of cameras and lenses, each suited to a particular situation. No bag maker or even a fellow photographer can comprehend those individual preferences. Now a days, I just buy inserts to go into my back pack or a shoulder bag. And now that the weekend is upon us, and my petty trips over this weekend will involve a 1964 nikon F (took me 3 months to clean it and service it all by myself) and a nikon F100 and just one lens - 25mm distagon ZF. Oops, just forgot that there will be a fishing rod too. Hey, I got two hands and hence two shoulders.

-Arun
Rangefinders: M3; M4-P; Bessa R4M; Bronica RF645; Graflex Crown Graphic; Canonet 28; Olympus XA; Lens: 21mm Color-Skopar f4; 35mm Color-Skopar f2.5 PII; 40mm Nokton f1.4; 50mm Summarit-M f2.5; 90mm Summarit-M f2.5
flickr.com/photos/maggots

Old 07-30-2010   #117
Spleenrippa
Yes, Right There

I just need to win the lottery and start a huge studio/company. The perfect bag is some temporary intern/assistant. Who cares how much the gear weighs? Take everything! You can finally be prepared for all photographic eventualities, and without -your- shoulders and back aching at the end of the day!

Old 07-30-2010   #118
back alley
IMAGES

serendipity...

today, my nokton 50/1.1 arrived in the mail AND my second domke 5xb also arrived in the mail. i immediately mated the big 50 on my rd1s and put it into the new bag, along with the 35/1.2 and 28/1.9...my 3 biggest lenses.
and it all fit!!

it is noticeably heavier than the other 5xb, the one with the rd1, 28/3.5, 40 rollei and the 50/2.5.
i may need to join a gym but for now i think i can handle the extra weight

the only negative is that the cv 15 might have to ride in a pouch double decker style with the 28/1.9.

one item of note...the newer bag has a strap that is about 6 inches shorter than the older bag. if this is cost cutting then it sucks! big time, 6 inches shorter is not gonna work for me so i will have to swap straps for the bag in use.

Old 07-30-2010   #119
akptc
Shoot first, think later

I use a version of the small and large Godspeed 619 bag, like them both for their versatility, padding, comfort of carrying, and their hip looks

Old 07-30-2010   #120
Mephiloco

I use a cheap promaster bag. Right now it carries my M5 with my summarit attached (usually), my Bessa with a 35/2.5, my ultron 35/1.7, 2 jupiter 8's, a flash, a meter, and an industar 61, as well as a couple small filter and some kim wipes and rolls of film. It's about half the size of a messenger back and slings over the shoulder. I have a big lowepro bag I used for my slr's when I had several slr lenses etc, but the thing is as big as a backpack and I don't like to travel that heavy, though it could easily carry my leica gear, my dslr, and my netbook easily

Edit: Here's my promaster bag. I have some more inserts to divide up the lenses, but they're in my attic, too hot to go up there until winter. Besides, I have caps on all my lenses and 3 of them are russian. Once I get my M2 back it's going on the left side where the lenses are, the lenses will move to the middle, and the pancro into a side zipper. Works better than bags 5x the price for me. I just tried reorganizing my lowepro bag for my leica gear and it is just way too deep to be useful.

Edit 2: Woops, forgot the mention, all my filters I use (yellow, red, infrared, neutral density) are all in the bag as well, along with my meter, and the hood for the summarit and a couple extra ltm->m adapters, as well as about 15' of white nylon rope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3705.jpg (42.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Mephiloco : 07-30-2010 at 23:50.