Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-27-2010   #41
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 62
Posts: 10,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.Scharp View Post
It is my modest opinion that a camera should be in your hands, not in a bag.
What about during, rain, snow, cold? What if you carry two cameras?

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #42
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger
 
Disaster_Area's Avatar
 
Disaster_Area is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenrippa View Post
Ooh, that's the Grafea bag, isn't it? A lovely piece of kit, I must say!
Yuppers... great little bag and durable as hell... looks great too, nice plus
__________________
http://jbhildebrand.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #43
Pablito
coco frío
 
Pablito's Avatar
 
Pablito is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salsipuedes
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.Scharp View Post
It is my modest opinion that a camera should be in your hands, not in a bag.
Sometimes you have to put it somewhere, like if you have to take a cr*p.

Or if you need both hands for climbing...
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #44
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kully View Post
Tampons. And. Nick-naks.
So true, one must get the priorities ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.Scharp View Post
It is my modest opinion that a camera should be in your hands, not in a bag.
We all do things differently I suspect ... and I imagine you have many such opinions of which you can be modest

I note many contend there's no such thing as perfect, yet those who own a hadley pro seem to think there is, I think I see a pattern developing here, perhaps?
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #45
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
i wonder how the hadley compares to the m classic bag?

anyone here have experience with both?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #46
monochromejrnl
Registered User
 
monochromejrnl is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 819
Hadley Pro has better construction and padding and has the top handle... you 'need' one.
__________________
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #47
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i wonder how the hadley compares to the m classic bag?

anyone here have experience with both?
I've only had the one bag since they stole my hard cases, it's probably just that the hadley is "good enough" and it's just not worth the effort of looking for anything better, I can get in two RFs and a few lenses, two TLRs filters and hoods and stuff or SLRs and a couple of long lenses, and if I'm flying I can transport all I'll need for a holiday as hand luggage.

Then maybe I'm just easily pleased
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #48
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
i cannot find a pic of the hadley open or with gear in it.

it looks lovely on the outside.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #49
ferider
Registered User
 
ferider's Avatar
 
ferider is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,249
I think my Naneu Pro Lima and my small LowePro bags are pretty perfect.

Might be too cheap for some though
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #50
Spleenrippa
Yes, Right There
 
Spleenrippa is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Age: 36
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area View Post
Yuppers... great little bag and durable as hell... looks great too, nice plus
They've been out of stock of the dark colored one for weeks now... And I think their prices have gone up!
__________________
My Site. You know you want to
ROBOTERKAM
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #51
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
it's not about the cash rollie, for me anyway, but comfort plus ability to hold a variety of camera combos and be able to work easily out of the bag.

not too much to ask, eh?

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #52
sanmich
Registered User
 
sanmich's Avatar
 
sanmich is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,367
Domke F-802 for me, but I really can't walk for hours with a heavy side bag.
If I'm shooting for long hours, I use a good regular backpack to spare my lumbar and carry water, food and the rest. When not in use, cameras (2) are stuffed in, each one in its "ER" case, usually with one spare lens in a pouch.
__________________
Michael

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #53
robbeiflex
Registered User
 
robbeiflex's Avatar
 
robbeiflex is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer3.5 View Post
Hi, i find very usefull my lomography bag it´s sold in an odd combo, this small one with a larger one.
I use only this one, i can stick in it two bodies, three lenses and 5-6 rolls of film.
It´s very small, easy to use, made of thick cloth, has a broad smooth strap and noone notices it.

Take a look!
You may be on to something. I'm a big fan of bags that don't scream "expensive camera inside!" so I avoid the usual big names, especially Lowepro. A bag which is both designed for film camera and screams "cheap toy camera in here, don't bother stealing me!" may just be ideal.

Rob
__________________
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #54
ped
Small brown dog
 
ped's Avatar
 
ped is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 945
I have a few different bags, too. I started with a DSLR so I bought a Lowepro Fastpack 200 which was really nice. However the rangefinder is a bit 'loose' in there. For a while I used my Braun Paxette vintage 35mm film camera which is housed in a peli case all cut to fit the camera and lenses, very neat.

When I got my rangefinder I wanted to have a bag I could use every day for other things like my hard drive and keys, so I bought this little bag from Marks & Spencer (UK) and put the dividers from the Lowepro into it. I used a nice soft bag made for jewellery (I also love watches) in the bottom and it's nice and snug. It lets me grab the camera with one hand and have it in the right position instantly.

I would probably take my larger bags if I wanted to take both cameras with me but for every day the whole point of my new camera was for it to be something I will take everywhere by itself, so all I need room for is the camera, maybe a spare battery or two and a spare SD card, then whatever things I need. Keep it simple and keep it useful!

Not a PERFECT BAG by any means, but one I will definitely find comfortable and not be too precious of every day.

P.s It isn't waterproof of course, but I always carry a huge ziplock bag in the event of crap weather (I'm in the UK remember!!!) so I can stuf the whole bag and myself into it.

Cheers
ped

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #55
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist
 
dcsang's Avatar
 
dcsang is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto Canada
Age: 54
Posts: 4,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag, there is no perfect bag,
:
I find your lack of faith disturbing . . . . .


Dave
__________________
I own a Leica and I am NOT a dentist (I don't even portray one on TV!!!)

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #56
ferider
Registered User
 
ferider's Avatar
 
ferider is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
it's not about the cash rollie, for me anyway, but comfort plus ability to hold a variety of camera combos and be able to work easily out of the bag.

not too much to ask, eh?

I understand. My bags are all slightly modified, basically by strengthening the Velcro attachments of the paddings inside.

With that modification, I love the Lima because it perfectly fits 2 cameras, 4 lenses and a meter, both cameras with lenses attached and they can be quickly drawn out of the bag, the padding is great, the bag outside is nylon and pretty much water resistant; so I can throw the bag around on wet ground, etc, its quite small and fits perfectly in my saddle bag. Because it is nylon it doesn't look like a luxury item, which is just as well. It doesn't yell "man-purse", or "Leica with calf leather Luigi Case inside !", but simply does a perfect job.

The small LowePro cases are great, too (a smaller and larger of the Rezo series). A single camera with 3 lenses, or 2 bodies with 2 lenses. Nicely padded, room for extra stuff, and top opens to the right side (away from you), so you can simply draw the camera with lens attached when needed.

When I look at some of the pictures above, I fail to understand why a bag needs to hold 3 bodies or more and 6 lenses or more. I personally just wouldn't know how to use all that stuff, even on a longer trip. I also hate a crowded camera bag

Roland.

Last edited by ferider : 07-27-2010 at 12:59.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #57
Pablito
coco frío
 
Pablito's Avatar
 
Pablito is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salsipuedes
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area View Post
Yuppers... great little bag and durable as hell... looks great too, nice plus
Whatever makes you happy, but "looks great" is not a positive attribute in my book.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #58
ped
Small brown dog
 
ped's Avatar
 
ped is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 945


  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #59
ped
Small brown dog
 
ped's Avatar
 
ped is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 945
Pics a bit large, sorry folks
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #60
Pablito
coco frío
 
Pablito's Avatar
 
Pablito is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salsipuedes
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post
I have a few different bags, too. I started with a DSLR so I bought a Lowepro Fastpack 200 which was really nice. However the rangefinder is a bit 'loose' in there. For a while I used my Braun Paxette vintage 35mm film camera which is housed in a peli case all cut to fit the camera and lenses, very neat.

When I got my rangefinder I wanted to have a bag I could use every day for other things like my hard drive and keys, so I bought this little bag from Marks & Spencer (UK) and put the dividers from the Lowepro into it. I used a nice soft bag made for jewellery (I also love watches) in the bottom and it's nice and snug. It lets me grab the camera with one hand and have it in the right position instantly.

I would probably take my larger bags if I wanted to take both cameras with me but for every day the whole point of my new camera was for it to be something I will take everywhere by itself, so all I need room for is the camera, maybe a spare battery or two and a spare SD card, then whatever things I need. Keep it simple and keep it useful!

Not a PERFECT BAG by any means, but one I will definitely find comfortable and not be too precious of every day.

P.s It isn't waterproof of course, but I always carry a huge ziplock bag in the event of crap weather (I'm in the UK remember!!!) so I can stuf the whole bag and myself into it.

Cheers
ped

I am convinced that altering and modifying what's out there to one's particular needs is the only way to go. Great example above.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #61
monochromejrnl
Registered User
 
monochromejrnl is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 819
my primary bag is a Hadley which doubles as a work bag most days... (fits one M + lens and a netbook along with small notepad, keys, change, wallet etc..)...

my 'incognito' - cheap bag alternative is similar to this:

http://www.manhattanportage.com/cata...xed-Europa/348

with a couple of domke inserts.. works great and about $100 with the inserts...
__________________
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #62
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451


there are 12 rolls of film and some other stuff too
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #63
tbarker13
shooter of stuff
 
tbarker13's Avatar
 
tbarker13 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,667
My perfect camera bag isn't a camera bag. It's actually more of a tactical/military bag. Very comfortable on the shoulder. It's light on padding, but I just tossed in a two-slot Domke insert and boom - perfection.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...IPACK-4p49.htm

It comfortably holds - in the main compartment - my M8 with a lens in one compartment, leaving the other compartment to hold two extra lenses. Outside pouch for a water bottle (or anything else you want in it.) Has an outside zippered pouch for batteries/memory cards. And it has several other compartments for whatever else you need to carry.
  Reply With Quote

the problem with this setup
Old 07-27-2010   #64
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
the problem with this setup

whose interior looks about the same size and config as a f5xb is that it appears you need to remove the lens cap, and then slap a hood on, right?

I line my M's in the same orientation, but have more space so the hood can stay on. To support the lens from flopping downwards, I put a small beverage coil wrap under the lens to keep the camera balanced and ready to grab and shoot. I use this in both my mini single body small lens case, and the 5fxb, as well as the j803.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post


there are 12 rolls of film and some other stuff too
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #65
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
whose interior looks about the same size and config as a f5xb is that it appears you need to remove the lens cap, and then slap a hood on, right?

I line my M's in the same orientation, but have more space so the hood can stay on. To support the lens from flopping downwards, I put a small beverage coil wrap under the lens to keep the camera balanced and ready to grab and shoot. I use this in both my mini single body small lens case, and the 5fxb, as well as the j803.
No that is not the case
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #66
dacookieman
Cookie Monster
 
dacookieman is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area View Post
I've found my perfect bag... it's not QUITE big enough to fit everything I'd like to bring with me but that's part of what makes it perfect. I have a tendancy to bring way more than I need and kill my back in the process, this bag makes me think hard about what I'll actually need. It still fits two bodies, my netbook and half a dozen lenses when filled to capacity.



I have the same bag disaster_area! Except that I have the dark brown version. in fact, i got it after reading your review some time back.

I use the Artisan and Artist's insert for the bag and it is a perfect fit. I find that the bag is great for a RF or two, but nothing more. Its unladen weight is about 1.2kg and that's some weight considering the bag is empty. Otherwise, a very lovely bag
__________________
My flickr
User Feedback
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #67
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
the 5xb is perfect for my slow kit.
one body with lens attached and 2 lens in there also.

i need a bag for the fast kit, one body with large lens attached and then 2 other big lenses in there as well.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #68
ChrisN
Striving
 
ChrisN's Avatar
 
ChrisN is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 4,439
Joe, if I remember the M-Classic correctly, the straps attach on the back panel, whereas on the Hadley the straps attach on the ends. That means that with the Hadley you can flip the cover over to the back and it will hang out of the way, and stay there, allowing esier access to the interior while wearing the bag. It looked like you can't do that with the M-Classic because the straps are on the back, preventing the cover from folding flat down the back while you are wearing the bag.
__________________
Chris

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #69
cmogi10
Bodhisattva
 
cmogi10's Avatar
 
cmogi10 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,686
I got one of those Artist & Artisan bags used for a good price a couple years ago and havn't been inclined to get anything since.
It's this one
http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/gcam7000.htm


Although since lurking the boards again (like 3 days ago) I've been thinking about ordering one of these.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oters_Bag.html

I have to get off the internet!

Edit: I also have a naneu pro backpack that is awesome, but the zippers are a little worse for wear. It's fixable and not going anywhere.
I think I might look at a bag that is good for hiking and walking, I hate have a shoulder strap bag for that, fanny pack with a camera and some film is too bulky, and backpacks are hard to reach.
__________________

Last edited by cmogi10 : 07-27-2010 at 15:25.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #70
paulfish4570
Registered User
 
paulfish4570 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lapine, in deep south Alabama
Age: 68
Posts: 9,579
Does this mean my Walmart Outdoor Products fanny pack is not perfect for a one-body, two-lens rig? And my Lowe Pro EX 140 isn't perfect for two bodies and three lenses?

Seriously, that little Lowe bag is compact, well stitched, and easily modified with the Velcro inserts. It is meant for a DSLR with big zoom, but it is a dandy one body, 2-3 lens kit. It has lots of little pockets for cleaning items, notebook, pen, extra close-up glasses and film. In a pinch, I can tote an SLR with lens, an RF and 1-2 small lenses.

The fanny pack is my go-kit: notebook, pen, close-up glasses, cleaning items, one extra lens, film. I can fit a compact RF such as my FED-2d, but I generally carry the cam separately.
__________________
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind ...

Last edited by paulfish4570 : 07-27-2010 at 16:03.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #71
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
come to think of it...my domke f6 might be a good bag for the bigger fast kit...
  Reply With Quote

Looks nice!
Old 07-27-2010   #72
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
Looks nice!

Wow Carl,

That F-2 looks really nice. I'd wonder if having to open 2 clips would slow me down though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmogi10 View Post
I got one of those Artist & Artisan bags used for a good price a couple years ago and havn't been inclined to get anything since.
It's this one
http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/gcam7000.htm


Although since lurking the boards again (like 3 days ago) I've been thinking about ordering one of these.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oters_Bag.html

I have to get off the internet!

Edit: I also have a naneu pro backpack that is awesome, but the zippers are a little worse for wear. It's fixable and not going anywhere.
I think I might look at a bag that is good for hiking and walking, I hate have a shoulder strap bag for that, fanny pack with a camera and some film is too bulky, and backpacks are hard to reach.
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

I have an EX-140
Old 07-27-2010   #73
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
I have an EX-140

for one of my DLSR kits, it's OK, deeper and more squarish than a 5fxb, hard to imagine getting more than 1 body and 1 big lens in there with RFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
Does this mean my Walmart Outdoor Products fanny pack is not perfect for a one-body, two-lens rig? And my Lowe Pro EX 140 isn't perfect for two bodies and three lenses?

Seriously, that little Lowe bag is compact, well stitched, and easily modified with the Velcro inserts. It is meant for a DSLR with big zoom, but it is a dandy one body, 2-3 lens kit. It has lots of little pockets for cleaning items, notebook, pen, extra close-up glasses and film. In a pinch, I can tote an SLR with lens, an RF and 1-2 small lenses.

The fanny pack is my go-kit: notebook, pen, close-up glasses, cleaning items, one extra lens, film. I can fit a compact RF such as my FED-2d, but I generally carry the cam separately.
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #74
al1966
Feed Your Head
 
al1966's Avatar
 
al1966 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Age: 54
Posts: 706
I gave up trying to find a camera bag that works for me. The crumpler camera bags are just way too over padded though the standard messengers are nice, though I would prefer a Chrome. I have experimented with various methods of padding, in this I used a couple of laptop sleeves (neoprene) that I got from a pound shop. one was folded in on its self to make a lining and the other cut up for dividers etc. It works very well small and light and holds a fairly sensible amount of kit for city walking. The base bag is 'the Upgrade' a sellout at £5 so the bag cost was £7 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upgrade-1.jpg (99.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Upgrade-3.jpg (92.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Upgrade-1-2.jpg (75.6 KB, 45 views)
__________________
Life is a series of photographs surrounded by the worthless bits

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010   #75
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
come to think of it...my domke f6 might be a good bag for the bigger fast kit...
so, the answer was right under my nose all the time...the f6 works - maybe not perfect - but for now it works ok.

i'd like it a little less deep, maybe shave that outside pocket off and the damn strap is not long enough. makes no sense to me to have a long strap on the 5xb and not on the f6. i might see about getting an addition sewn onto it. another 6 inches and it would be so much better.

now i just need the 50/1.1 to arrive so i can properly fill the bag...
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010   #76
ped
Small brown dog
 
ped's Avatar
 
ped is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 945
Further to my post earlier, I have padded the folded up soft bag at the bottom of my camera bag with a square of foam at one end to support my lens as my camera goes in sideways. Now it fits like a glove, and is nigh on perfect. I don;t want to carry lots of lenses around, though I have space for one extra if needs be, and have my two spare batteries, wallet, hard drive, a4 documents, business cards, keys, and a silenced pistol all in one bag.

Cheers
ped

P.s I don't really have a silenced pistol but feel one would go well with this bag
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010   #77
ped
Small brown dog
 
ped's Avatar
 
ped is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1966 View Post
I gave up trying to find a camera bag that works for me. The crumpler camera bags are just way too over padded though the standard messengers are nice, though I would prefer a Chrome. I have experimented with various methods of padding, in this I used a couple of laptop sleeves (neoprene) that I got from a pound shop. one was folded in on its self to make a lining and the other cut up for dividers etc. It works very well small and light and holds a fairly sensible amount of kit for city walking. The base bag is 'the Upgrade' a sellout at £5 so the bag cost was £7 .
I like this - kind of satisfying to have made it yourself, isn't it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010   #78
B.J.Scharp
Film fanatic
 
B.J.Scharp's Avatar
 
B.J.Scharp is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Sometimes you have to put it somewhere, like if you have to take a cr*p.

Or if you need both hands for climbing...
For that I, like Brian Puccio, have an R-strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
What about during, rain, snow, cold? What if you carry two cameras?

Cal
Rain, snow, cold: It is my experience that if I can take it, my camera usually can too. And if it can't, what the point of going out in that weather?

As for two cameras, for that I have this (although I don't (yet) have two M's)

I do often carry a backpack or a small waist-pack for other assorted items, and I often slip in one or two extra lenses (and loads of film) in that. For longer hikes, I have this strapped to my backpack (site in dutch, sorry). Will hold an SLR with a small to medium-sized lens, and can easily hold my M3 with lens and two additional lenses (and probably more). Directly within reach, and no more strain than a normal backpack.

All kidding aside, I heartily recommend the Chestpack for people who often hike with a backpack and a camera. Sure beats having to take the pack off each time you want to take a picture.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010   #79
Krosya
Konicaze
 
Krosya's Avatar
 
Krosya is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,477
After trying several bags and having gone through several camera sets, for what I have now I have found my perfect bags. All have travelled with me around the world and have always been secure, comfortable, fit well in a plane/under the seat, etc.
For SLR:Tenba:


For SLR And RF : Oasis (this one is just Perfect - love it):



and a small Oasis that can go over the shoulder or on a belt. Perfect fit for a Hexar RF with a CV 40/1.4 or Bessa R3M with 40 or Hexar AF:










__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
35mm Rangefinders : Leica M5 and RD1S w/ many M and LTM lenses

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645


flickr

Last edited by Krosya : 07-28-2010 at 21:23.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010   #80
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
Wow Carl,

That F-2 looks really nice. I'd wonder if having to open 2 clips would slow me down though.
Ted, I never use the metal clips on my F2, it's too cumbersome for frequent open and close when taking my camera out.

The velcro on the flap is enough for keeping things in and sticky-fingers out.

Another thing I like about the F2 is that after being used a while, it assumes that beat-up look that makes me look like just another guy on the street.

I dislike bags that call attention to itself, those are for the ladies
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 18:40.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.