Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 04-09-2010   #81
M like Leica M6

Isn't it time to make a list of all the wishes we have for the perfect bag(s)? I think there should be 3 or 4 different perfect bags yet to come, and maybe we find a manufacturer that listens.

Please, add to this list what you think is useful.

Here is my wishlist for all "perfect bags":

- Single-colored (all black for me), no logo
- Completely unobtrusive and really, really simple and boring
- No front pockets, no side pockets, everything should be inside
- No fancy shapes, no decorative stitching
- No fancy yellow or red fluorescent color inside
- No Velcro, no zippers or other noise sources, and I only accept clicks from cameras, not from clips, carabiners or anything else
- Easy to open WIDE, easy to close with ONE hand (one buckle or carabiner would be enough, why do many bags have two? Not that the clips and carabiners used today could be opened with one hand easily, they are all faulty designs...)
- Carries all equipment without stacking (every time I need a special lens it is in the below-deck, e.g. below a divider, which is below the flash or other lens)
- Flexible dividers that can be easily adjusted in a way that the lenses etc. do not move in their compartment with every step when I walk
- Rainproof (not necessarily 'monsoon proof'), could be canvas, leather, neoprene, nylon
- Not a stiff box with corners and edges, but cuddly (that does not mean it does not have to protect the content or collapse when it's empty)
- Wide, soft, non-slipping belt with some shock-absorbing neoprene
- Big, padded, flip-turn shoulder pad (one side slips, the other never ever slips)
- Bottom protection like those on some Domke bags
- Bag, belt and shoulder pad should be washable
- Flat like a 'satchel' style bag, but a little curved (I do not know many people that are as flat as a wall).

No.1 "perfect bag, small size", that would be my favourite:

- Can be used as a belt bag or shoulder bag
- Max. 500 gramm
- Carries 1 Leica M with attached standard lens and hood, 3 lenses (incl. something like a 1.1/50, 2/100, 2.8/135 with googles), lightmeter, 1-2 accessory finders, spare battery and 5-10 films - and all that should easily fit in, not by stacking, squeezing etc.
- Maximum 100 US Dollars (remember the old Domke prices?)

What do you want to add?

Old 04-09-2010   #82
JayC
5 kids,3 dogs,only 1 wife

I called an ex-employee of mine to sub a shift the other day. She told me of how her custom bag business is going great. She makes custom diaper bags, book bags, etc. She had a few pics of recent bags and will be bringing me her current bag when it is done so I can check it out. I told her how there is this one website I visit that would salivate and eat up your bags. Stay tuned.....

Old 04-09-2010   #83
Jaime M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area View Post
Thank you for share this bag disaster_area, it looks gorgeous!
I was looking for a bag, and this one is prefect to me. I want it.

Old 04-09-2010   #84
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

A custom shoulder brown leather bag for the precise size of my RFs is what I got too. I designed it, and then I went to the place and they did it... Relatively small, and I can carry four cameras with lenses mounted, filters, film and a handeld meter. No photographic look.

Cheers,

Juan

Old 04-09-2010   #85
shane_goguen

Quote:
Originally Posted by M like Leica M6 View Post
Plagiarisms are what makes ebay really rich... and some ruthless chinese sweat shop owners, too. I really wonder how often photographers complain because someone copied and used their photos and on the same day they support people that infringe copyright to save a penny.

I just provided a link to someone who asked for it, Personalty I don't support those knockoff bags, I buy the original.

Old 04-09-2010   #86
heespharm

Am I the only person that thinks leather is tacky???

Old 04-09-2010   #87
Spleenrippa
Yes, Right There

Quote:
Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
Yeah... All my jackets are leather, boots/shoes, car interiors, couches... And yet, there's just something stopping me from biting the bullet and carrying a leather bag... I lust after them, but just can't seem to carry one after all...

Old 04-09-2010   #88
Richard G

Artist & Artisan 1100 (Evans Walker) answers the constraint of going light with an RF rig. Black canvas, silent zipper, shallow full width and almost full height front pocket. Main compartment divided in three: centre big enough for M with mounted Zeiss 50 1.5 or 25 2.8; smallest for 90 2.8 or 135 f4; and the other end second M with mounted 35 f2. Finder for 25 in pouch sits on the 90 or squeezed in the centre with the camera. Front pocket holds three rolls of film, Gossen Digipro F meter, finder for 135, hood for 35, Leitz tabletop tripod with small head (then I've got to keep the meter in a pocket elsewhere) blower, cap for 35. Cable release in sleeve with snap fasten on the body side of the bag. Long large well padded strap. Tiny kit. Can walk in the hills all day.

Old 04-10-2010   #89
M like Leica M6

Quote:
There is one thing that makes leather less suitable for a camera bag, I think. Leather weighs a multiple of nylon and canvas.

I know one bag made of leather that comes very close to my dream bag (see above), but it is made of leather:

http://www.monochrom.com/cc/monoc/in...0/210-Q219.jpg

(And apart from that the price is breathtaking... the small version costs $360...)

Old 04-15-2010   #90
rc12k
Piper at the Gates

Does anyone know of a US dealer for these bags?

Quote:

Old 04-15-2010   #91
gerbilthemistake

I try to pack pretty light usually so the bare bones bag is what i usually lug around

Old 04-15-2010   #92
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I have a black one--it is indeed perfect, if all you're carrying is cameras. I'm still searching for a bag that will happily fit both my laptop, a couple of books, and some RF gear. The F803 is just a little too small.

I ordered a couple of cheap military canvas bags from that site referred to in bmattock's thread--I'm hoping this one will do the trick, the engineer's field bag (thirty bucks!):

That bag looks great. Hows it working out for you??

Old 04-15-2010   #93
funkpilz

Domke F-6 with a two-compartment insert. Alternatively, the Billingham Hadley range.
I haven't used the Domke satchels, but I imagine they might work fine as well.

Old 04-15-2010   #94
Arjay
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_goguen View Post
Quote:
Plagiarisms are what makes ebay really rich... and some ruthless chinese sweat shop owners, too. I really wonder how often photographers complain because someone copied and used their photos and on the same day they support people that infringe copyright to save a penny.
The said Chinese bag is an interpretation at best, but not a copy. Take a closer look. Who do you think has been plagiarized?

The German Cullmann bags may look a little like it, but are far more sophisticated and not much more expensive. The same goes for the original Leica bags (of which probably the Cullmanns are knock-offs) which are even more sophisticated and in much higher quality, but also a lot more expensive.

The Chinese bag looks like a reasonable, no-frills transport solution.

So, globalization is showing its benefits: You get what you pay for. Higher quality and sophistication for a higher price, or less features/quality for less money. What's wrong with that?

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Last edited by Arjay : 04-15-2010 at 15:54.

Old 04-16-2010   #95
M like Leica M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
...Leica bags (of which probably the Cullmanns are knock-offs) ...
Funny, I just had a look at a Cullmann "Madrid" bag:

http://www.cullmann-foto.de/detail/i...330-black.html

Not bad, and really cheap, but what really annoys me is the huuuuuuuuuuuuge Cullmann logo on it. I will never understand why companies think that customers want to become walking billboards. Such a big logo doesn't work for me. I would not even accept a small red Leica dot on my camera bag. It's no comfort to me if that bag is perfect in every respect, cheap, environmentally friendly and made by happy workers in good working conditions. I would never buy a logo with an attached camera bag because I just don't want it to look like a camera bag. If I wanted that I could buy dozens of different bags that look like camera bags. Why don't they write "valuables inside" on it or "beware, there is a photographer nearby"? Will they use neon writing soon?

Last edited by M like Leica M6 : 04-16-2010 at 02:54.

Old 04-16-2010   #96
bojanfurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
That bag looks great. Hows it working out for you??
Mabelsound, I'd like to know how's that field engineers bag working for you as well. I am in the same boat - I need to fit my laptop and a couple of notebooks...

Thanks
Instagram
twitter
Web

Old 04-18-2010   #97
heespharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc12k View Post
Does anyone know of a US dealer for these bags?

oh man this bag makes me want to find a custom bag maker so I can get it in canvas... leather is tacky

more info on the bag:

http://erez.show-360.cz/erez4/fsi4/f...initialpage=69

Last edited by heespharm : 04-18-2010 at 22:11.

Old 04-19-2010   #98
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Lovely bags here!

This is the one I use, for everything, cameras included. It's roomy, lovely, tough and can handle all kinds of abuse. Besides I can fit in a Olympus 35RC, Nikon D80, Yashica-Mat, lenses and tons of film, light meter and carry a MacBook Pro 13" at the same time and have some room to spare Ok normally I don't have that much stuff there, but I could (and have when shooting event).

Not my pic, I must take some at some point..
EDIT: to remove HUGE PIC from the companies site, let me edit it a bit for you

EDIT 2: Let's hope I fount out how to work with attachments here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saddleback.jpg (74.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Santtu Määttänen : 04-19-2010 at 00:50.

Old 04-19-2010   #99
M like Leica M6

Quote:

oh man this bag makes me want to find a custom bag maker so I can get it in canvas... leather is tacky

more info on the bag:

http://erez.show-360.cz/erez4/fsi4/f...initialpage=69
Well, I would like to have it made from canvas - much less weight. They offer that bag made from a different material too, it's the robust cloth that is used for convertible tops. But still the price is too hefty for me.

Old 04-19-2010   #100
heespharm

So Does Anybody Know A Custom Bag Maker??

Old 07-25-2010   #101
Pindy

Have the A&A 7100 (it's fine, but kind of hastily designed) but just bought a black Hadley Pro and I have to say, I now see what all the fuss is about. It's a great bag that is clearly thought out. It's classy without being too posh and the quick-release leather straps are great. I'm well impressed.

Old 07-25-2010   #102
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Looks like a Saddleback Leather briefcase. I have one for my academic stuff (laptop, notebooks, etc.). Beautiful bag and will easily outlast me as it is built like a tank: Saddleback's site has video of their bag surviving an crocodile attack virtually undamaged.

But, it is big and heavy (8 lbs EMPTY!), so it's not what I care to take when I'm just out on photo-walk about. I use a Bare Bones Bag (medium size iirc) for that -- just big enough for an extra body, extra lens or two, some film, my phone, and misc small stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
Lovely bags here!

This is the one I use, for everything, cameras included. It's roomy, lovely, tough and can handle all kinds of abuse. Besides I can fit in a Olympus 35RC, Nikon D80, Yashica-Mat, lenses and tons of film, light meter and carry a MacBook Pro 13" at the same time and have some room to spare Ok normally I don't have that much stuff there, but I could (and have when shooting event).

Not my pic, I must take some at some point..
EDIT: to remove HUGE PIC from the companies site, let me edit it a bit for you

EDIT 2: Let's hope I fount out how to work with attachments here

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Last edited by Papercut : 07-25-2010 at 14:01.

Old 07-25-2010   #103
CK Dexter Haven

I hate camera bags. Even more, i hate "messenger" bags. I do not want to look like a bike messenger.

I've been looking for a non-camera camera bag for a long time. Almost had one custom made, but didn't pull the trigger because it would have cost $750, and i didn't trust that the artisan's taste and judgment would match mine. I really wanted THIS bag, but it was 1) sold out when i found the link; and 2) a bit too large. But, aesthetically, this is what i wanted:

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Chau...ack_11777.html

I just bought this, though, instead:
http://www.lifetimecollective.com/NASDAQ-p-63419.html

Still not ideal, but i've been carrying stuff in an LLBean canvas tote/boat bag....

Old 07-25-2010   #104
back alley
IMAGES

i've always wanted a leather bag that looked like an old doctors bag, like in the movies...probably highly impractical...

Old 07-25-2010   #105
vicop408

I bought a U.S. army surplus bag for $30. It used to hold battle field radios in the 1950's. Very tough, well-used and small. It holds my Hasselblad, M6, light-meter and extra lens for my M6 plus rolls of film and cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010220_2.jpg (134.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg P1010223_2.jpg (138.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P1010225_2.jpg (107.9 KB, 65 views)

Old 10-31-2011   #106
david3558
leicaboss

bump! I was wondering if there are any newcomers in this bag field. I used to have a Tenba messenger and I loved how the flap had a zipper running across the back which lets you retrieve stuff without having to actually lift the flap - are there any bags similar to this?

Old 10-31-2011   #107
wjlapier

Depends on what I'm carrying. Lately I purchased a Domke F8. Holds my M7/35 cron in one side, Lumix LX5 in the other. Plenty of room for film, wallet, iphone and other accessories. It's a good bag for a day out shooting.

Old 11-01-2011   #108
david3558
leicaboss

Keep those bags coming!

The Perfect Rangefinder Transportation Device
Old 11-05-2011   #109
seajak

Thumbs up The Perfect Rangefinder Transportation Device

isn't a bag . It's a small Haven insert from Crumpler. http://www.crumpler.com/AU/Camera-Bags/Camera-Pouches/Haven-S.html?LanguageCode=EN&SKU=HVN001-G03G40 I (check out all the pictures). I bought one after reading a post by Nightfly and it is just what I've been looking for. It easily holds my M6 with 35'cron and hood as well as my 90 TE, but would also hold a body with standard lens and 2 more lenses stacked or 2 bodies with short lenses. The camera can remain in the Haven which then goes in whatever bag is being carried on the day from a briefcase to a backpack. The drawstring is great for keeping everything secure and would allow the case to be carried on its side in a backpack, but it can easily be turned over for easy access when shooting. The little pockets on the outside are wasted on me but I drop a couple of filter boxes on top of the lens and film etc. goes loose in the bag.

It seems the advent of 4/3 is generating more products suitable for rangefinder users.

cheers,
clay

Last edited by seajak : 11-05-2011 at 01:54.

Old 11-05-2011   #110
RObert Budding

I've lost track of how many times I've purchased the perfect camera bag . . .

Now here's one that looks interesting!

http://courierbags.com/objects/20.itml/icOid/20

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 03-17-2012   #111
Joakim Målare

Hi everyone! First post, just wanted to share my latest discovery - very happy I found this. It's a Courierware Incognito camera bag, size Mini. It's their smallest camera bag and it's the perfect alternative if you want something for two RF bodies with three lenses. I wasn't planning to fit everything in like this, but it turned out to be the perfect solution.

At the bottom is a divider with some rarely-used-but-good-to-carry-along filters under it. The divider acts as a support for the two bodies with lenses mounted, so they don't slide around. Above / in between the cameras is another (optional) divider for some extra padding when the third lens lies on top. This divider is easily flipped up when a camera is taken out.

No straps that get in your face when shooting verticals, no clips, no extras what so ever. Just what you (I) need. And if I feel like it, I can even put an Ipad in the back, next to the padded insert. And a case for my glasses, holding contacts whenever I should need them.

This also happens to be the perfect setup if you're shooting 28, 50 and 90 mm and wear eyeglasses. An M3 for the 90 and a Zeiss Ikon for the 50 and wide-angle. Actually, I would rather have a 35, cause I can't see the 28 framelines with glasses on, but still.

The dog doesn't fit in the bag though. He's got legs of his own and happily runs by my side as long as there are meatballs in the ba- .. erh, pocket.

Happy happy, joy joy.

Old 03-18-2012   #112
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

This is what I took to photograph in the National Air and Space Museum(s). I used my Olive Domke F-6. It held my M8.2 with 28mm Summicron; four more lenses in the padded compartments; an M7 body is tucked in to the right of the padded insert; and there is a D-Lux 3 in the front zipper compartment, along with film, viewfinders, etc. The zipper compartment in the top flap holds extra batteries, microfiber cloth, and lens brush. It was comfortable to carry for a long time--hours--especially since while photographing, one camera is around my neck, and the other at the ready, with lens attached, in the bag. With only one camera in the bag, it is not too heavy.

I also have the Domke F-803 Courier bag. It is excellent, but for this trip I lied the convenience of setting the F-6 down on a table without it flopping over sideways. And I liked being able to see what I have and take stuff in and out. The 803 must be laid down or propped up. Good bag, though.

When I don't need that much, I use a Domke F-5XB, though I find it a little small. I just finished watching a YouTube presentation by our own Matt Thomas, on the Domke F-10. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Old 03-18-2012   #113
back alley
IMAGES

i really liked my f6 but i can't, for the life of me, remember why i stopped using it!

Old 03-18-2012   #114
celluloidprop

Joakim, do you carry your Ipad in any kind of folio/sleeve?

I'm debating a Courierware, but I can't decide between mini and XS. I like that the Mini is narrower by an inch, but I'd like the option of carrying my iPad (which is in a folio, making it thicker).

Old 03-18-2012   #115
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i've always wanted a leather bag that looked like an old doctors bag, like in the movies...probably highly impractical...
Joe, I knew a guy in art school who had an old leather doctor's bag. He carried his art supplies in it! It was a cool bag, would have made a neat camera bag. He got it at an antique store in Washington D.C., where he lived before he moved to Indiana.

Old 03-18-2012   #116
rizraz

If it is a 2 camera outing, I usually use my bag from courierware.

If it is one camera, I currently use a "german bread bag" I got from ebay.....

Both of them I feel do not shout "camera bag here".

Old 03-19-2012   #117
kanzlr
Hexaneur

If I want to bring full RF gear I use a Bare Bones Bag. Wonderful.

If I am out and just want to have a camera along, I use a german military "Kampftasche" and wrap the camera in a camera wrap from LowePro.

http://www.amazon.de/Normani-BW-Kamp...2146799&sr=8-2

Old 03-19-2012   #118
Joakim Målare

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloidprop View Post
Joakim, do you carry your Ipad in any kind of folio/sleeve?
I have one of those smart-covers on mine, so it doesn't add very much to the thickness. It is a bit tight, and if it was thicker I guess it would be somewhat annoying to put in / take out, if you would need to do so often. It does need the entire long side, which means it's not very smooth if you're wearing the bag. It's easier on a flat surface.

The Ipad isn't a part of my photography equipment since I don't have a digital camera, and I live in the middle of nowhere so there aren't any hotspots around. Barely 3G service even. Feels kind of silly to bring the Internet out in the field and woods anyway...

On the other hand - if the Ipad or a similar device is important to bring along and use (say for a digital workflow or as a utility in the cities), then I would probably choose a larger bag. I picked the smallest possible, to keep things clean and efficient.

So to me it was just a bonus that it fit - for those rare occasions

Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2012   #119
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Joe, I knew a guy in art school who had an old leather doctor's bag. He carried his art supplies in it! It was a cool bag, would have made a neat camera bag. He got it at an antique store in Washington D.C., where he lived before he moved to Indiana.
i should start the search anew!!

Old 03-19-2012   #120
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i should start the search anew!!
http://www.frostriver.com/luggage/gladstone_bag.html

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr