Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 09-14-2009   #81
kuvvy

With regards to the bags slipping off the shoulder problem, last week I bought the Domke USPS shouler pad and tried our for the first time yesterday on my Hadley bag. So far it seems to work very well. When sat on the shoulder the wedge-shaped, chunky pad kinda levels out your shoulder so the strap has less tendency to slide. For most of the day the bag was worn across my chest while shooting and I found the pad quite comfortable that way too. I do have the Billingham shoulder pad but find that that has a tendency to cut into ones neck when worn across the chest. the Domke is much better.
I'm going to try out the USPS pad with the BBB to see how well that works. Shouldn't be a problem as the BBB strap is the same width as the hadley and so, should fit fine.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 09-14-2009   #82
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by figitalrevolution View Post
The org BBB was tested for over 3 months by several working photographers including myself in a variety of different configurations/ uses... the materials have been in use by Courierware or over 20+ years so test complete. The modifications on the BBB- Stealth line were tested again by me and several other photographers and working professionals again for several months to make sure everything was spot on. I have developed all of the items I sell first for me and my use (this includes everything from the Y Strap to the BBB)... it was as the request of my students and other photographers that I come in contact with that I decided to sell them as a way to help support the Figital Revolution web site so it could remain advertiser and sponsor free which I feel is important.

Cheers-
Stephen

stephen,
i realize that you must test your gear before offering to the public...i was just having a little fun.

Old 09-14-2009   #83
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Joe View Post
Joe; does your $4m Home have a handle on top like the 5mil does? I keep bumping into pics of the 4mil with a handle, but it doesn't appear so at crumplers site.

How do you like it thus far?

Joe
the 4 mil does have a strap/handle across the top. i think mine is the older style as they have recently updated their bags.
works ok so far, the g1 with kit lens attached plus the 45-200 fit snugly.

Old 09-14-2009   #84
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

The shoulder strap is the only real place I see for improvement in the BBB - I really prefer Domke-style nonslip. I don't care for the add-on shoulder pads, but i am considering trying some liquid latex painted on a small area of the BBB strap.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-14-2009   #85
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
f2 is too big for one body and 3 lenses.

i have an f6 which i like but it ends up being used for storage cause it's too big for just a day out.
That's right, I have to remind myself from time to time that the way I use camera bag is probably the opposite of how most of you guys here in RFF.

I live in the suburbs, there is no such thing as walking to/from work past a crowd of people doing stuff, I can't just stroll into a big park and see lots of people. People in cars, yes, but not people.

That's why I have to rely on trips to a to get my fill of real honest-to-goodness street photography.

And for that, I need a big bag that can accommodate anything that I may need if I want to get the most out of the trip. My single Leica M4-P and a single Ultron only occupies a quarter of the F2, leaving me ample space for a medium format, sometimes an SLR, films, extra lenses, etc.

Old 09-14-2009   #86
vrgard

The mention of handles on bags reminds me that that is another feature of the BBB that I prefer over the Domke 5xb. Namely, that the BBB has a nice handle on top for easy grab and go whereas the Domke does not.

-Randy

Old 09-14-2009   #87
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Randy: It's funny how things differ; I can't get along with bag handles. If a bag has a handle, I run away. As I recall you and I are the same in the hair department, however!

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 09-14-2009   #88
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Randy: It's funny how things differ; I can't get along with bag handles. If a bag has a handle, I run away. As I recall you and I are the same in the hair department, however!
Yep, we ARE both follicly challenged.

As for bag handles, I think I understand what you mean. Fortunately, the handle on the BBB is small; it does its job but is otherwise unobtrusive.

-Randy

Old 09-20-2009   #89
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by figitalrevolution View Post
I am researching the BBB strap option...
Stephen - any updates?

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C

Old 09-20-2009   #90
Damaso
Photojournalist

I just got the BBB2 and I have to say I like it a lot. The velcro is much more secure than the original but it is also MUCH louder, something I wasn't prepared for. I see the point of the Stealth Bag now. But the bag is large enough for two M bodies, my kindle, some water as well as film. I suspect I can put three bodies in there. In short, it is very close to being the perfect bag....

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 09-20-2009   #91
back alley
IMAGES

i'm still waiting for my bbbs to be shipped.

Old 09-20-2009   #92
thomasw_

Joe -- it is a great mold-to-your-body type of bag.

Old 09-20-2009   #93
back alley
IMAGES

i'm looking forward to trying it.

Old 09-21-2009   #94
vrgard

Quote:
i'm looking forward to trying it.
And remember, Joe, that if you don't like the BBB stealth then I would likely be willing to trade you for the a&a copy that just arrived in my mailbox. I haven't really tried the a&a copy yet, since it just arrived, but I'm thinking I'd prefer the BBB stealth after all.

-Randy

Old 09-21-2009   #95
nightfly

How would you guys compare the BBB2 (Stealth for me but it doesn't matter) to something like the Domke J 803? I know the 803 is a bigger but I'm wondering which would be better for an all around bag for camera, a folded newspaper and possibly a crunched up light jacket? Would that fit in a BBB2 along with a single M body with attached lens and a second small lens (28 CV 3.5 or 35mm Summicron) and some film? Just want a smallish city bag but one that will hold what I usually bring with me.

Old 09-21-2009   #96
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard View Post
And remember, Joe, that if you don't like the BBB stealth then I would likely be willing to trade you for the a&a copy that just arrived in my mailbox. I haven't really tried the a&a copy yet, since it just arrived, but I'm thinking I'd prefer the BBB stealth after all.

-Randy
give it a day or 2 eh?
you are as bad as i am

joe

Old 09-21-2009   #97
vrgard

Quote:
give it a day or 2 eh?
you are as bad as i am

joe
Will do. And yeah, we're all bad, aren't we?

-Randy

Old 09-21-2009   #98
back alley
IMAGES

is there something about the bag that put you off so quickly?
i am finding it comfortable to carry (everyday) and easy to work out of. i like the no zipper top, it's big and the gear fits in and out with ease.
my only problem is that my dogs are attracted to the smell of the leather and i have to watch where i put it.

Old 09-21-2009   #99
vrgard

I think it's just the size. Despite the dimensions not being much more than a Domke 5xb, the overall impression is that it's a fair bit larger. Of course, I did buy it for my dSLR kit so that larger size may be what I need. Let me put my dSLR kit into it and see what I think then.

Old 09-21-2009   #100
back alley
IMAGES

it feels smaller than the 5xb in use, i think because it's more flexible, less boxy and moulds more to the body.

Old 09-26-2009   #101
back alley
IMAGES

randy, how are you and the bag getting along?

i'm still waiting on my bbbs bag to arrive.

joe

Old 09-26-2009   #102
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

One camera setup w flash, 2 or 3 lenses, and spare batteries, a few filters: Crumpler Messnger Boy 5500 (green and grey)
Two camera setup, flash, 4-5 lenses, batteries, chargers and filters. and laptop. Works for day to day storage too: Crumpler Daily XXL (red and grey)

Love them both. Look great and work great. No boring black bag here.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 09-26-2009   #103
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

The Daily XXl also sports an inner lining which in itself is a bag, though not the carry around type. Can be removed, and used for storage. Did just that this summer. On holiday with a one camera setup, popped the Messenger Boy in the Daily and had room for travel documents, laptop, books for reading, a water bottle and then some. I had two bags in one, and could use one or the other or both. Worked a treat.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 09-26-2009   #104
David R Munson
写真のオタク

While I suspect they may not be to the taste of a lot of RF shooters, I am a big believer in Tamrac bags. I have a Tamrac Pro-8 that I've been using almost daily for 9 years an the only problem it has developed is the zipper on the back of the bag has started to come apart from rubbing against my body for most of a decade. I'm not too upset. Otherwise, the only sign of wear is one thin spot in the material on the inside of the bag from the "ears" of an old Nikon lens I kept in the same place in the bag for like 4 years.

"I think the camera is something of a nuisance, in a way. It's recalcitrant. It's determined to do one thing and you may want it to do something else. You have to fuse what you want and what the camera wants. It's like a horse...you get to learn what it will do."
- Diane Arbus

(Canon 7, EOS 3, EOS 5D Mk II, Elan 7, Mamiya 645, Olympus Pen D, Ricoh Auto Half, Pentax 67)

Old 09-26-2009   #105
vrgard

Quote:
randy, how are you and the bag getting along?

i'm still waiting on my bbbs bag to arrive.

joe
Hey Joe. Sorry, been so busy that I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. So, for now, my feelings are the same - that it's just a wee bit too big for my tastes. But as I said, I haven't really tried it yet so let me get back to you after I've had a chance to stuff it with my dSLR kit (which is what I bought it for, rather than for my rangefinder gear). I also bought a relatively small Pentax shoulder/backpack bag made for Pentax dSLR kits. It should arrive early this week. I plan to compare them and make my final decision then.

-Randy

Old 09-29-2009   #106
vrgard

Okay, Joe, I've now tried the a&a clone bag. One outing was enough to determine that it's a no go for me. It's nice enough and all, but it just doesn't float my boat as much as my other bags do (Domke 5xb and BBB for rangefinder kits and a no-name bag for my dSLR kit). So, do let me know if you want to trade for that BBB stealth when you get it.

-Randy

Old 09-29-2009   #107
back alley
IMAGES

it should be here soon, i paid for expedited delivery.

Old 09-29-2009   #108
back alley
IMAGES

the bbbs arrived today, i just took it out of the package.
first impression, before taking it out of the bag was that it seemed surprisingly small and light to be the bag that i ordered. out of the bag it still looks very small and is so light. i'm gonna guess that these are good things.
initial complaint is that the strap is too short for a man of my girth. i prefer to wear a bag over the neck, like stephen in the video, but my belly is bigger than his and maybe 4 to 6 inches longer would have been perfect for me. obviously this does not apply to everyone.
it holds exactly what i would put into my domke 5xb and my a&a clone. there is no padding at all but when the bag is full nothing moves about inside. i will have to see what it's like when the camera/lens is out and being used.
it resembles the domke 803 but smaller, thinner and lighter. the 803 holds more, like my dell netbook. i look forward to a day out with the bbbs.

joe

Old 09-29-2009   #109
back alley
IMAGES

some comparison pics...

bbbs & 5xb
bbbs & 803
bbbs & a&a clone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bags.jpg (21.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bagss.jpg (22.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg bagsss.jpg (21.7 KB, 44 views)

Old 09-29-2009   #110
back alley
IMAGES

one more.

all of them with 803 behind the bbbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bagssss.jpg (22.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 09-29-2009   #111
vrgard

Thanks for the update, Joe. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the BBB stealth after you've given it a test drive or two.

-Randy

Old 09-29-2009   #112
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Joe, I'm 6'1" and can guarantee that my girth is greater than yours (for the moment, anyway) and I use my BBB bandoleer-style. Mine is more than long enough - I wonder if the strap length changed from the BBB? I think I even asked the specific length in the BBB thread, and Stephen responded with the measurement.

Old 09-29-2009   #113
marke

back alley, that a&a clone appears to be smaller than my true a&a, which is the Sabastio's Reporter Satchel. I also have a 5xb, so that was good to see. Do you know which a&a that clone is a copy of?

I'm actually thinking of getting an 803, as the a&a bag is just sometimes too fancy for my liking.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 09-29-2009   #114
vrgard

Just seconding Ken's comment (the one about the length of the BBB strap, not the one about his girth) that the BBB strap is plenty long enough to be worn bandolier style. That's how I typically wear mine and I like it long and loose (aw c'mon guys, you know what I meant).

Old 09-29-2009   #115
cnphoto

can anyone recommend a small bag (subtle styling would be nice) that could accomodate a Hasselblad 500 with 80mm and an M4 with one (maybe two) lenses. nothing else (maybe 2 rolls of film?). no extra film backs or any other stuff, i have bigger bags. i just want something smallish (over the shoulder) that can hold Hassy and a RF body... though I may just look at getting a bag that would accomodate an M4 and IIIc and one extra lens.

looking for the smallest size bag that will accomodate either of thes. i have been looking at a 5 million dollar home (black)., really want something small I can take with me everywhere when I'm not going out to a dedictaed or pre-planned shoot etc.

FYI - I'm reading my way through this thread so I imagine I will have my answer shortly.

Last edited by cnphoto : 09-29-2009 at 18:09.

Same here
Old 09-29-2009   #116
venchka

Cool Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnphoto View Post
can anyone recommend a small bag (subtle styling would be nice) that could accomodate a Hasselblad 500 with 80mm and an M4 with one (maybe two) lenses. nothing else (maybe 2 rolls of film?). no extra film backs or any other stuff, i have bigger bags. i just want something smallish (over the shoulder) that can hold Hassy and a RF body... though I may just look at getting a bag that would accomodate an M4 and IIIc and one extra lens.

looking for the smallest size bag that will accomodate either of thes. i have been looking at a 5 million dollar home (black)., really want something small I can take with me everywhere when I'm not going out to a dedictaed or pre-planned shoot etc.
I'm looking for the same bag. Add a meter. I am fond of outside pockets too. I can usually get a meter, filters, film, etc. in the right kind of pockets.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 09-29-2009   #117
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
Joe, I'm 6'1" and can guarantee that my girth is greater than yours (for the moment, anyway) and I use my BBB bandoleer-style. Mine is more than long enough - I wonder if the strap length changed from the BBB? I think I even asked the specific length in the BBB thread, and Stephen responded with the measurement.
where does the bag land on you?
on me it's just a touch higher than i prefer. i think it will work but a touch longer would be nice. i have the strap extended to it's max length.

Old 09-29-2009   #118
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by marke View Post
back alley, that a&a clone appears to be smaller than my true a&a, which is the Sabastio's Reporter Satchel. I also have a 5xb, so that was good to see. Do you know which a&a that clone is a copy of?

I'm actually thinking of getting an 803, as the a&a bag is just sometimes too fancy for my liking.
i think it's supposed to be modelled after the oskar bag.

Old 09-29-2009   #119
vrgard

I'm curious, Joe, is your BBB stealth the regular size or is it the larger BBB bag? Reason I'm asking is because my BBB regular size bag is not as tall, compared to the 5xb, as your appears to be in your picture above.

Randy

Old 09-29-2009   #120
cnphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by venchka View Post
I'm looking for the same bag. Add a meter. I am fond of outside pockets too. I can usually get a meter, filters, film, etc. in the right kind of pockets.
the only bag i liked that i've been able to try in person is the Crumpler 5 MDH, i had my 501CM on me with the 80 planar, looks like it and a leica would fit in the 5MDH. just. with no hood for the Hassy. i imagine i could either carry the Hassy w/ 80mm mounted and the 150mm OR the Leica M4-P and IIIc with a spare lens, film and other bits OR the Leica M4-P (no extra lens) and the Hassy with the 80 mounted minus hood and again no extra lenses or backs etc.

i think that would work for me, it may just be a little too small. i like the slimmer look of the BBB bags, but they're a lot more expensive here (to buy and ship) than i can get the 5MDH for.

can anyone comment on size comparison of the BBB-S2 and the Crumpler 5MDH?