Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 09-10-2009   #41
vrgard

Yeah, the interior walls are only meant to separate not pad. But that's sufficient when you aren't carrying very much gear.

Old 09-11-2009   #42
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
i bought a couple of used tenbas for my dSLR tele lenses. real nice. almost no discernible wear after 3 years of being hauled around! surprisingly good for the money.
mine carried the former user's hasselblad equipment, doesn't look fancy or like new, but that's kind of what I want =)

Old 09-11-2009   #43
dleibow

Wouldsomeone coment on the comparison between the BBB regular and large size: convenience, ease of use while carrying?
Thanks.

Old 09-11-2009   #44
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I don't look at RF bags since I bought a BBB - it's that good.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-11-2009   #45
back alley
IMAGES

you guys are driving me crazy.

Old 09-11-2009   #46
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
you guys are driving me crazy.
That's our job, and we're damned good at it.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C

Old 09-11-2009   #47
back alley
IMAGES

i may be ordering a bbbs before the day is over...

Old 09-11-2009   #48
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

If you're normal, you won't be sorry. You, however, are Canadian - so all bets are off.

Old 09-11-2009   #49
back alley
IMAGES

eh?

Old 09-11-2009   #50
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard View Post
scares you how? It's certainly enough to separate the few items I put in the bag. And if it's more than a single lens, then I just wrap a lens cloth around the second lens to give it a bit more protection.
That seems to defeat the purpose of making a bag easy to work out of. Why not just have a bag with a bit of padding, so that you don't have to wrap anything up? That seems to be a PITA. With padded pockets, you can grab and switch a lens much easier (and quicker if needed)? I just don't seem to understand the desire to wrap up lenses, rather than just drop it into a padded pocket. The padding also adds some flexible structure so that items can be removed and replaced much easier.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 09-11-2009   #51
back alley
IMAGES

if need be, a neoprene beer holder might do or some camping foam, the thin blue stuff.

anyway, i just ordered one...

Old 09-11-2009   #52
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateriat View Post
Nice try, but you're all wrong.

This is the bag du jour. Next 80-odd bucks I get free, I'm grabbing one.

- Barrett
Sorry Barrett, I only lasted 15 seconds into the video. That is a woman's purse

After seeing that, I just have to hug my no-nonsense, manly Domke F2 for a while

Old 09-11-2009   #53
back alley
IMAGES

f2 is too big for one body and 3 lenses.

i have an f6 which i like but it ends up being used for storage cause it's too big for just a day out.

Old 09-11-2009   #54
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

The beer can sleeve trick works well for my Domkes - the pockets are huge for RF glass. I haven't felt the need to do the same with my BBB.

Old 09-11-2009   #55
back alley
IMAGES

to be honest, the big draw to the bbbs is the lack of velcro. in my old age the sound of velcro ripping gets more and more annoying.

Old 09-12-2009   #56
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleibow View Post
Wouldsomeone coment on the comparison between the BBB regular and large size: convenience, ease of use while carrying?
Thanks.
i have both. they are the same bag, except for the proportionate increase in size. both carry very well - they lack padding except for the bottom, so they conform to your body. if your kit is one RF plus one-two lenses, film, filters, other bits, then the regular is fine. two cameras plus lenses is pushing it. if your kit is bigger, or is a non-RF, then the larger size is better.

lack of padding = carries better. lack of padding = handles more slowly. why? because the compartments collapse and you "fish" a bit for the gear. i haven't found this to be a problem, but i could see how some might.

barrett and joe have got a point. that stealth version without the velcro would be sweet.

if you like a courier-type bag, you will like the bbb. and joe is right about the lack of padding. others have said you can wrap gear to protect since the inner dividers are unpadded, that's what i do too.

My Flickr

Last edited by MCTuomey : 09-12-2009 at 03:52.

Old 09-12-2009   #57
kuvvy

I'm still trying to get used to my original BBB. The size I like, the depth I like. It carries close to the body and isn't boxy in shape which is what I wanted.
The velcro is a little noisy but not as nosiy as my Domke F5-XB.
I thought the separate dividers inside the bag would be ideal and for the most part they are. However, I've found that with the bag full (RD1, cv15 + finder, CV28 Ultron, Hexanon 50 plus mem cards, batteries, notepad, spectacles and some other bits that it's slighty more difficult to access what I want and have heard things knock together, even when using lens cloths wraps. With a slightly lesser amount loaded the bag becomes easier to use.
The shoulder pad, whilst padded isn't very grippy and slides off the shoulder though when worn across the chest it is comfy.
The full length outer pocket on the back is somewhat useless especially on a rainy day as it doesn't have any way of preventing things getting wet.
Today I used the bag as a general carry about bag with only a Lumix LX3 and non photo stuff in and it was fine.
I really want to like the bag more, and maybe I just haven't used it extensivley enough to thoroughly become used to it, so as yet I'm not convinced. I definitely haven't taken to it as quickly as some others here.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 09-12-2009   #58
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marke View Post
That seems to defeat the purpose of making a bag easy to work out of. Why not just have a bag with a bit of padding, so that you don't have to wrap anything up? That seems to be a PITA. With padded pockets, you can grab and switch a lens much easier (and quicker if needed)? I just don't seem to understand the desire to wrap up lenses, rather than just drop it into a padded pocket. The padding also adds some flexible structure so that items can be removed and replaced much easier.
Well, since others have already responded, I'll simply add my further comment that the BBB is not a bag to use if one wants to carry multiple extra lenses and frequently switch between them. If, on the other hand, one wants to carry a rangefinder camera with just one extra lens and not change lenses frequently, then it works very well. That's how I typically use it and, as such, don't need to bother with wrapping anything. Can I swap lenses as quickly as I did with the Domke 5xb? No, but I find the body-comforming shape and lighter weight of the BBB a real benefit. I've carried the 5xb for the last several years and have been using the BBB almost exclusively since I got it a few months ago. Just my opinion and experience, but it works for me as I've described. As for it being a manpurse, well, that could be said about most of the camera bags we carry. However, the materials and shape of the BBB make it look more like a small messenger bag than a purse, IMHO, and I find it to be more discreet than the 5xb due, again, to the body-conforming nature of the BBB.

-Randy

Old 09-12-2009   #59
ramosa
B&W

Quote:
if need be, a neoprene beer holder might do or some camping foam, the thin blue stuff.

anyway, i just ordered one...
which one did you get?

i hadn't heard of the bbbs. i have a domke 5xb--and i normally carry an M8 with a lens attached and an extra lens. how does the regular bbb compare to the 5xb? pros and cons? thanks.

(and i thought i wasn't looking for a camera bag. )

Last edited by ramosa : 09-12-2009 at 13:30.

Old 09-12-2009   #60
finguanzo

The bag i use, I got from http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...s.aspx?a=70919
A whole 20 bucks for 2 bags. Very thin, light bags, which I like. Put some domke insert for whatever Im carrying and thats all.. The smaller bag when Im only carrying one body/lens.
I have Domke's, but they have the square shape, nomatter how little I carry in them, the shape stays the same, I like something thats closer to my body, and not boxy.

Old 09-12-2009   #61
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosa View Post
which one did you get?

i hadn't heard of the bbbs. i have a domke 5xb--and i normally carry an M8 with a lens attached and an extra lens. how does the regular bbb compare to the 5xb? pros and cons? thanks.

(and i thought i wasn't looking for a camera bag. )
i ordered but have not yet got the bbb stealth, no velcro and all black.
i have been using the domke 5xb for quite a while and my new fake a&a bag (oskar) and like them both but have been swayed to try the bbb by the 'believers' here and also for the lack of velcro.

Old 09-12-2009   #62
vrgard

Sounds good, Joe. And if it ends up that you don't like the BBB stealth and I don't like the a&a copy then we'll work out a trade!

-Randy

Old 09-12-2009   #63
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
f2 is too big for one body and 3 lenses.

i have an f6 which i like but it ends up being used for storage cause it's too big for just a day out.
In that case, you might want to take a look at the Domke F3X.

The other bag you should look at is the Thinktank Urban Disguise 30.

Those are the only 2 bags I use for RF; just the right size for one body with attached lens, plus 1-2 more lenses, film and filters and a small moleskine notebook.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 09-12-2009   #64
back alley
IMAGES

keith, if i stay with domke then the 5xb is near perfect for me, with one camera and lens attached and 2 other lenses packed in it.

i started to look because i wanted to try a bag without a zipper running across the top and no velcro either.

my fake a&a bag is great but i thought i'd try the bbb also.

Old 09-12-2009   #65
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard View Post
Sounds good, Joe. And if it ends up that you don't like the BBB stealth and I don't like the a&a copy then we'll work out a trade!

-Randy
i like how you think randy.

Old 09-12-2009   #66
nightfly

Will the BBB stealth hold a folded up newspaper in the back pocket? Generally travel with an RF with a lens attached, another lens , some film and then odds and ends (headphones, ipod etc) and invariably a newspaper folded up or a magazine for the subway ride. Need a nice long unobstructed pocket for this.

Old 09-12-2009   #67
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Will the BBB stealth hold a folded up newspaper in the back pocket? Generally travel with an RF with a lens attached, another lens , some film and then odds and ends (headphones, ipod etc) and invariably a newspaper folded up or a magazine for the subway ride. Need a nice long unobstructed pocket for this.
Only if it's a relatively small magazine or newspaper. Or you're willing to let a good portion of it stick up out of the back pocket.

Old 09-12-2009   #68
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
the large BBB will take a folded paper length-wise (daily, not a sunday times), as the back pocket is about 14 inches long. from the sound of it, you might better consider the large rather than regular BBB.

i agree with kuvvy about the BBB strap. comfy worn bandolier-style, not as secure as a domke strap on the shoulder. my 5xb strap is too short to wear across the chest if i'm wearing anything more than a t-shirt.

this has turned out to be a good thread, joe. attaway.

My Flickr

Old 09-12-2009   #69
back alley
IMAGES

bag threads can be good threads.

we have a real need today for sharing info as there are so many bags and most of them are not available locally so trying them out is not possible. if we can civilly share this sort of info it makes life much easier.
but in the end, i guess it's still a crap shoot till we load our gear and go for a walk.

Old 09-12-2009   #70
ramosa
B&W

back alley: let us know how the new bag works. as i mentioned, i use a domke 5xb. on several occasions, i have pondered getting something else ... but end getting nothing and sticking with the 5xb. i really don't have a complaint about the 5xb, but could be swayed ...

Old 09-12-2009   #71
vrgard

Yep, the 5xb is still my favorite for carrying more than one camera or more than one extra lens. But for a minimalist kit, the BBB is my favorite.

-Randy

Old 09-13-2009   #72
gilpen123
Gil

It's easy to convert 5xb to a non velcro. I'll be doing the conversion and post later. 5xb is IMO the best bag for minimal kit. Looks good, comfortable to carry and very sturdy.

Old 09-13-2009   #73
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
It's easy to convert 5xb to a non velcro. I'll be doing the conversion and post later. 5xb is IMO the best bag for minimal kit. Looks good, comfortable to carry and very sturdy.
i put duct tape over most of the velcro, works well.

joe

Old 09-13-2009   #74
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by figitalrevolution View Post
This is a very good thread with good info... the BBB Stealth is based on request I found here on Rangefinder for a bag with no velcro and all black and built like a tank with no padding... no bag is perfect (I wish there was a perfect bag as I have more bags than my wife has bags and shoes together!!) The BBB- Stealth and S2 will be in stock by the end of the week... I only made 10 total... I love the bag for my needs but again a bag is a very personal choice. The only way I carry my bag is bandalier style so I never have an issue with the strap moving on my shoulder but I will try to think if there is a solution to this issue that can be put into production without breaking the bank...

Cheers-
Stephen

NOTE: I never over fill a bag... any bag becomes difficult to carry if it is too full... I use the BBB and BBB-S for a basic kit or as an every day bag and the larger BBB-2 and BBB-S2 for international travel or multi day shoots. If the BBB line of bags does not mould to your body then it is too full and you should consider a large bag.
so the bag i ordered a couple of days ago is still being put together?
do you send a notice when the bag is shipped?

joe

Old 09-13-2009   #75
amateriat
We're all light!

Stephen: If you ever find a solution to the shoulder-strap-slip dilemma, other than wearing stuff with epaulets full-time, I'm all ears (apologies for the Ross Perot reference). Nothing besides the bandolier-style bag-wearing method works with me.

Right now, all I want is a decent one-camera, two-lens (and maybe my Contax Tvs once in a while) bag that's as easy, or even easier, to get into, as my Domke F803, but smaller. Based on the specs on your site, the standard-size ("Mama Bear" is what I'm calling it, if you don't mind) BBB Stealth appears to fit the bill. I've been really reluctant to pull the trigger on a any bag lately since there have been so many lousy ones, but I'm getting close to buying this one, then not dealing with bags again at all, until I replace my Domke with another one when it totally falls apart. (I give it another three years or so...I've had it since 2002, and used it heavily since then.)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 09-13-2009   #76
back alley
IMAGES

better move fast barrett if there are only 10 that were made.
only 9 left...

Old 09-13-2009   #77
back alley
IMAGES

i'm a guinea pig...

Old 09-13-2009   #78
amateriat
We're all light!

Quote:
i'm a guinea pig...
I rather doubt that, Joe.

Edit: I never "overfill" a bag anymore. My Domke holds my entire two-body, three-lens-and-flash Hexar system full-time. The BBB Stealth would handle the M2/35 f/2 Summi plus maybe the 50 f/2 M-Hex and Contax Tvs. Two setups in full-time, ready-to-go-with-little-thinking ('cept for film, of course) bags. (I got the "ready-to-go-bag" idea from you, BTW.)

Have to check my funds in a few days...I'm owed money on several tech jobs at the moment.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Last edited by amateriat : 09-13-2009 at 21:04.

Old 09-13-2009   #79
back alley
IMAGES

well, now i'm looking forward to getting my bag and being one of the first to try out the new stealth bag...a man before is time

Old 09-14-2009   #80
Brother Joe
Just Joe

Joe; does your $4m Home have a handle on top like the 5mil does? I keep bumping into pics of the 4mil with a handle, but it doesn't appear so at crumplers site.

How do you like it thus far?

Joe