Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 12-26-2008   #41
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Order sent, Stephen - thanks!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 12-27-2008   #42
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I am thinking that the really old ones, 20+ yrs ago, had unpadded canvas inserts too.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...9&postcount=45

Old 12-27-2008   #43
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My Domke F-2 from 1982 (about March, to be exact) has no padding on the canvas bag itself but came with a nylon/padded 4-hole insert and a foam-and-fiberboard bottom... the foam currently being gone due to going gooey/flakey after 25 years.
Thanks...I missed that somehow

Old 12-27-2008   #44
Marsopa

Waiting for one to come at home (with the Y-strap!)... Damn international post, it's sooo slow (I've made my purchase on december 13th... still waiting... ) Glad to read possitive feedback!

My photoblog

Old 12-27-2008   #45
35mmdelux
#Represent

RF shooters might also want to check out the Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Backpack for $75. Small, very well-constructed to carry your stuff safely. Much easier than working from a side bag.

Here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Old 12-27-2008   #46
Damaso
Photojournalist

I like the fact that the Y strap can be adjusted, been using it for a week with no complaints.

The BBB survived our first major snow storm in NYC with no problems!

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 01-01-2009   #47
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My bag should be here tomorrow or Saturday - I'm looking forward to it!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C

Old 01-02-2009   #48
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My bag just arrived a few minutes ago. First impressions:

* It's very well made, every bit as good or better than any other bag I own. All stitching is tidy, no loose threads or bad fitting anywhere I can see.

* I very much like the overall size. I've found my 803 knockoff to be much too large for a RF plus three lens kit; my F5XB is too small, too murselike and has an awkward layout. This one works well with a body and three lenses plus other stuff, and I'm just starting.

* The inner pockets *will* fit an M body with attached RapidWinder and a mounted 35 Cron ASPH with mounted hood. It's tight, but it doesn't strain anything either. Without the RW mounted it's be a very comfortable fit. (I prefer to stow my bodies vertically with the shutter button up - it allows for easier access with less chance to get greasy fingerprints on the VF.)

* The color scheme is actually very nice. Stephen was right - the grey panel does a lot to calm the evil black tactical camera bag vibe. I like the lighter grey interior fabric, it keeps the inside of the bag from being a black hole.

* The bottom padding is thin but sufficient - I haven't pulled it out to look at it, but it feels like a piece of high density closed cell padding like you'd see for putting under a sleeping bag. I may end up laying a piece of small bubble wrap down there in addition to the original padding; I've done this to most of my bags for years for additional protection. As mentioned above, the design is such that you can access the hidden area between the bottoms via the back pocket.

All in all, I'm very impressed. Thanks, Stephen!

Old 01-02-2009   #49
johnsonjj22
Analog Enlightenment

I just received mine today, only ordered a few days ago. The statement on their site says 7-10 business days and I leave for Vietnam on the 16th so I was a bit worried and emailed Stephen asking if I would receive the bag before my trip. He said not to worry, that they had a few in stock and that the bag would ship the same day. Well, two days later, the bag is here and fits everthing I plan on taking, well, at least walking around. I haven't tried stuffing 30 rolls of film into it yet, but that's not even an expectation I have. I'll post a full report after I get back, not only on the bag but also the other gear I'm taking which is an M6 and two lenses.

Old 01-02-2009   #50
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way View Post
Anyone looking for a really great shoulder bag for a rangefinder setup, check out the Bare Bones Bag designed by phtographer Stephen Schaub. Link is here.

Mine came in the mail a couple of days ago and it is now my go to bag. I'm still keeping the Domke F_X5B and my wife wants the Lowepro Terraclime. Look for my other bags in the classifieds soon!

The BBB is a soft, none padded (except for a bit on the bottom) cordura shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Looks like a small messenger bag. Very light and comfortable, and it has a carrying handle which, to me, makes a world of difference in portability and confort. Besides the large main compartment, there are SIX smaller pockets that are wide and deep enough to carry a RF with small lens, lenses (90 cron fits no problem), my folding cameras, filters, meter, whatever. This keeps your equipment separate and organized. The pockets are arranged so when it's full of items the bag will still "conform" to your body. The padded bottom gives the bag some structure and form and this really helps make it comfortable. The front flap is secured with velcro and is made from a reflective material that will show clearly at night when light is shown on it. A nice safety feature.

The only thing I don't like is that cordura is a dust/cat hair magnet! Anyway, if you want a soft bag for your camera that is is well designed, well made and wont' look like a camera bag, check out the Bare Bones Bag.

My cameras are vintage, some have soft coated lenses and I would never dream of using either an unpadded bag or using microfiber cloths. Sorry, but no sale.

Old 01-02-2009   #51
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

The bottom is padded; the four inner pockets could easily be padded when needed using beer can cooler sleeves.

I used unpadded bags for years with no problems, even when I was a working PJ carrying the bag whenever I was awake and dressed. Even naked a few times, for that matter.

This really is a well designed, well made bag.

Old 01-02-2009   #52
Gary E

I've used a pre-current M-Classics for about 8 years now and have had no issues with an non padded bag. It is single layered compared to the current bag that's available. I carry 2 RF cameras with an additional lens, film, hand held meter and a small flash (yes, there are times that it comes in handy).

This BBB looks like a good replacement as the M-Classic is getting a little worn. Hey, who has only one bag in their camera closet anyway?
Sony FE used to call me but now Fuji GFX is ringing in my ears

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 01-03-2009   #53
kuvvy

I have about half a dozen bags including a Billingham Hadley and the safrotto 803 clone and never us the inserts much prefering a softer bag. Still waiting for my BBB to arrive and if it's just what I need then the safrotto will be up for sale as it's too near the hadley in size.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 01-03-2009   #54
Marsopa

Well, I've got mine a few days ago... I haven't used it but it seems to fill my expectatives (I hope this is the right way to express my feelings). I'm happy with my last purchase!! I've never used unpadded bags but after readings your messages I feel more confident, I've some padded inserts from old bags so, in the case I fear too much the unpadded way, I could use them.

Very nice bag

Bests from Spain

My photoblog

Old 01-04-2009   #55
Squonk

I've received my BBB today (it was delivered to our neighbour during my week vacation at the coast), and the first impression is very positive. This seems indeed to be the kind of bag I was looking for to carry my Bessa or Epson R-D1 with a few lenses. But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I'll be able to tell more after some practical use.

RF: Bessa R, L, R2, R2A, R4M - Epson R-D1 - Olympus 35RC - Zorki 4 - ...
First serious camera: Pentax MX + 50mm f/1.7 (since 1980)
AF AE wonders: Canon EOS (since 1999)
MF follies (rarely used): TLRs (YashicaMat 124G, ...) - Pentacon Six TTL - classic folders
Everyday digicams: Fuji F30 - Ricoh GX100
DSLR: Canon EOS 10D - Pentax K10D + pancakes
Latest: Lumix G1 + Novoflex M adapter
...and then some

See some of them here

My RFF gallery
My pictures on flickr

Old 01-06-2009   #56
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My Y strap arrived yesterday - interesting! I'll give it a try shortly.

The bag is proving to be fantastic. It carries lightly and is just the right size for what I had in mind - an M body and two to three lenses plus film and a few accessories.

Old 01-06-2009   #57
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
The bottom is padded; the four inner pockets could easily be padded when needed using beer can cooler sleeves.
Or you could just get a padded bag.

Old 01-06-2009   #58
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallisPhoto View Post
Or you could just get a padded bag.
Why? As I said, I find side padding superfluous.

BBB update
Old 01-06-2009   #59
Gary E

BBB update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
I've used a pre-current M-Classics for about 8 years now and have had no issues with an non padded bag. It is single layered compared to the current bag that's available. I carry 2 RF cameras with an additional lens, film, hand held meter and a small flash (yes, there are times that it comes in handy).

This BBB looks like a good replacement as the M-Classic is getting a little worn. Hey, who has only one bag in their camera closet anyway?
Well I had to go and treat myself to another bag. I got it super fast and now have it loaded and ready to go. What do I think?

The bag is a little smaller then my M-Classic bag. This means I could only fit 1 M body and 35/40 Cron with hood in the middle compartment, two additional lenses in the interior pockets along with a lens brush, about 6-8 rolls of film (w/o boxes), a Weston meter on the outside pocket with incident dome, a cell phone in the other outside pocket. The rear outside pocket can fit an assortment of items like a memo book to record place, settings, etc. The reflective flap is a nice move and esthetically pleasing as well as functional. The handle is something I wished I had on my M-Classic bag. The bottom padding is a good call too, though I never had a problem with my other bag; I don't drop my bag full of M equipment on the floor after a long day of shooting. Again, never had a problem in years of using a non-padded bag. I would put a 2nd M body in with a Domke wrap; only to prevent both M bodies from beating each other up (you know how the M4 doesn't like the M4-2 though they are family).

In use, the bag hugs the hip. This makes it easier to bob and weave out of crowds during parades and such. The lack of strap padding doesn't seem to bother me. When I take out the M, the bag really only has 2 M lenses. Even with the whole kit it didn't seem to be too heavy on my shoulders.

Any worries with the straps being Y stitched on both sides? I had my bow hunting buddy at work test this bag out by pulling as hard as he can on the strap and holding the bag. He gave it his best and said it was too durable to break. Enough field testing for me

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Last edited by Gary E : 01-06-2009 at 18:18.

Old 01-10-2009   #60
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

One week update:

I've been carrying this bag all week with the previously mentioned loadout. It is working out exceptionally well! It's light, very well made and well designed.

Stephen, how about a slightly larger (longer) version with larger internal pockets? As I mentioned my M6/RW/35 Cron ASPH just fits in a pocket, but if they were slightly larger...

For a body without the RW they're great.

Old 01-10-2009   #61
Seamus04

I recently received my BBB bag and must say that this bag is well thought out. Build quality is second to none. Having worked in the outdoor outfitting industry for several years, I can honestly say that this bag is "bombproof." As far as padding, the bottom padding is smart yet doesn’t add bulk. Keep in mind that this is not a flimsy bag. Loaded, this bag does not sag or slouch. Also, the internal pockets sit above the bottom and do not bang around when loaded as far as I can tell. Camera and accessories are easy to access. I think a larger version of this bag would be great. Currently I am unable to fit my Bessa R2A with mounted CV nokton 1.5/50 into the inside pockets (granted that this is a big lens). You might also consider adding pen slots so one can access pens quicker.

Keep up the great work Stephen.

Old 01-10-2009   #62
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Stephen, PM replied to - thanks!

Old 01-10-2009   #63
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus04 View Post
Also, the internal pockets sit above the bottom and do not bang around when loaded as far as I can tell.
So are they suspended like the M-Classice bag? Also, what keeps them from banging around?

Thanks.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 01-11-2009   #64
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

marke, they're sewn to the liner on two sides.

Old 01-11-2009   #65
Seamus04

markE, I don't own the M-classics bag so I can't say. As Ken says, they are sewn to the inner liner. They are not in contact with the bottom of the bag -- maybe a 1/2 inch off. The pockets are roomy but not sloppy large. You put something in, it settles to the bottom and stays put.

Old 01-11-2009   #66
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus04 View Post
markE, I don't own the M-classics bag so I can't say. As Ken says, they are sewn to the inner liner. They are not in contact with the bottom of the bag -- maybe a 1/2 inch off. The pockets are roomy but not sloppy large.You put something in, it settles to the bottom and stays put.
Sorry guys, but I'm still confused. It sounds like the pockets are actually suspended then, in a sense "hanging" by the stitches on the two sides, is this correct? And exactly what two sides? But the pockets still have a bottom of their own, right? And the 1/2 inch is providing an extra space of protection in case of being dropped?

Thanks for your patience!

Leica MP & M3

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0

Old 01-11-2009   #67
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

marke - perhaps this photo from Stephen's site will help:

Old 01-11-2009   #68
marke

Thanks, Ken. That answers my question. I guess I've seen this pic before.

Leica MP & M3

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0

Old 01-11-2009   #69
Gary E

The straps are on the ends like a regular bag, just not sewn all the way down. The M-Classic bag has it sewn on the back side that rides on your hip; like a mailbag style. Like the M-Classic bag, the BBB hugs your hip as well, it bends a little to hold it at your side since it's soft from the lack of padding. It doesn't move much unless you're running away from a person that didn't want their picture taken

Old 01-13-2009   #70
stnolan

Hey Stephen,

Do you sell this bag at any retailers? I am heading up to Burlington this weekend and wondered if any local shops carried it so I could check it out in person.

Fellow Vermonter,
Steve

Sold it all and just using the amazing GR
www.charleydontsurf.tumblr.com

Incredibly SLIM bag
Old 01-29-2009   #71
Furachan

Incredibly SLIM bag

My BBB just arrived here in Tokyo earlier today and next to a Billingham small Hadley it's almost invisible, it's that slim! And that's with a fully loaded RD-1s and two other lenses on the side. Really impressive, stealthy design.
Just wanted to add my 02 Yen to the discussion.
Cheers,
Francis

Will it hold...
Old 01-30-2009   #72
md2008

Will it hold...

For those of you who have the bag - would it comfortably fit an M body with the CV 35mm f/1.2 mounted? Or will the size of this kit make the bag awkward to carry? Also, due to the lack of padding, do you feel all the bits and pieces of the cameras/gear poking into you as you walk?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2009   #73
Damaso
Photojournalist

I think it would fit that kit fine. I routinely carry two m bodies with lenses in it. Last weekend I was running down some stairs in the subway in Budapest and slipped, landing on my bottom and BBB. Well the cameras came through without any problems that I can see (touch wood).

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 01-31-2009   #74
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2008 View Post
For those of you who have the bag - would it comfortably fit an M body with the CV 35mm f/1.2 mounted? Or will the size of this kit make the bag awkward to carry? Also, due to the lack of padding, do you feel all the bits and pieces of the cameras/gear poking into you as you walk?

Thanks
I'm not sure how large a CV 35/1.2 is, but my BBB will comfortably hold an M6 with RapidWinder and mounted 35/2 ASPH and hood in any of the four internal pockets without interfering with the other three. You would probably hold a Nikon D3 and a 24-70 in the main compartment, though! (The internal pockets can be collapsed.)

I don't feel anything through the bag.

Old 01-31-2009   #75
WoolenMammoth

reading this thread it honestly never ocured to me that a photographer would actually WALK AROUND, working, with a padded bag. Goes to show you what I know, haha. Ive always looked at padded bags for transport in the trunk of a car where you dont need to have your stuff in a pelican, but couldnt *think* of using one as a daily carry. We all have our own work flow but Im sometimes suprised by the things people will ninny over on this message board. Its fabulous that people make bags with padding, so you dont have to have a hard case all the time, and its fabulous that people make bags without padding for when you actually have to work with it. Regular messenger bags have worked for me for well over a decade internationally, and while I do treat my gear as what it is, gear, a hammer, Ive not had problems of the type that reading this thread would suggest are unavoidable if you dont pad your gear. Cameras are made of brass, glass, steel and plastic, not baby skin and china, they can take a beating... My main fear is the rangefinder mirror decementing in an old M and frankly for the impact required for this to happen some padding is more than likely not going to make any difference. Ask me how I arrive at this opinion...

nice work on your flickr Figital.

Old 01-31-2009   #76
FA Limited
planespotting

does someone actually have a pic of the bag with stuff inside? camera + 2/3 lenses?
it's so much easier to "See" than to read about it. i'm worried about stuff banging into each other inside the bag cuz of the unpadded pockets.

Old 01-31-2009   #77
Rprice
Camera Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolenMammoth View Post
reading this thread it honestly never ocured to me that a photographer would actually WALK AROUND, working, with a padded bag. Goes to show you what I know, haha. Ive always looked at padded bags for transport in the trunk of a car where you dont need to have your stuff in a pelican, but couldnt *think* of using one as a daily carry. We all have our own work flow but Im sometimes suprised by the things people will ninny over on this message board. Its fabulous that people make bags with padding, so you dont have to have a hard case all the time, and its fabulous that people make bags without padding for when you actually have to work with it. Regular messenger bags have worked for me for well over a decade internationally, and while I do treat my gear as what it is, gear, a hammer, Ive not had problems of the type that reading this thread would suggest are unavoidable if you dont pad your gear. Cameras are made of brass, glass, steel and plastic, not baby skin and china, they can take a beating... My main fear is the rangefinder mirror decementing in an old M and frankly for the impact required for this to happen some padding is more than likely not going to make any difference. Ask me how I arrive at this opinion...

nice work on your flickr Figital.

I could not agree more. my backpack it padded, because i use it to transport gear. my out and about bag is not padded at all.

Old 01-31-2009   #78
Jungle Jim
Leica Fat Old Men's Club

Hello Stephen!

I would be interested in buying a BBB2 bag if you eventually come out with one! I currently use a Billingham Hadley Small for my Leica M3, 2 lenses and a meter and a larger bag would be perfect for the Nikon F6 with some small primes. Please let us know when it comes out.

Best wishes!

"When I die, I hope my wife sells my camera gear for more than I told her I paid for it".

Old 01-31-2009   #79
amateriat
We're all light!

I'm now taking a close look at this bag...I use, and love, my Domke F-803 for my 2-body Hexar kit, but would like a smaller bag for my assorted "other stuff" (largely photo-related, but not strictly...think Konica Auto S3, an Olympus Pen EE, a small Clairfontaine wire-bound notebook, film, etc.). The BBB seems distinctly smaller-enough than my Domke to be worth the investment. Also thinking about the Y-Strap vs. the Leicagoodies STRAP (I want the Y-Strap in black, however). The adjustability of the Y-Strap, of course, gives a nod in its favor, although I'll likely couple it with a Leicagoodies HOOK. This is all quite interesting.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Last edited by amateriat : 02-01-2009 at 10:53.

Old 02-01-2009   #80
Damaso
Photojournalist

Oh I'm fine, sore pride and bottom but that's it! Next time I won't try running down an escalator!

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5