Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 09-02-2008   #41
rover

I am a Luigi guy myself. To me, there is nothing else like them.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 09-02-2008   #42
charjohncarter

This is the one I use one on five cameras. It swivels so not twisting of the strap, and it has these cool leather patches so there is no rubbing on the camera at the lug.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Strap.html

Last edited by charjohncarter : 09-03-2008 at 07:11.

Old 09-03-2008   #43
pfoto

That one has a 1½ inch strap, wider than the normal 1 inch. You can also get the 1 inch Gripper with the QR swivel clips, which can be quite handy. Even though the swivel clips are metal they don't seem to damage cameras/lenses.

Old 09-03-2008   #44
dng88
Dennis

I like OP/TECH USA as you can "reduce pound" (as the nickname to call it in camera shop) by taking off the middle part. It was now in every camera so that I can bring only one middle part and then all camera just use the smaller string in bag.

I did have a bit worry as the weakest part if break may drop the camera. But that can help to any strip I suppose.
Tachihara 4x5, Kodak 2d 8x10
D: Nikon D300, Epson v700, Nex III&5n

Old 09-03-2008   #45
marke

I didn't mind the nylon Leica strap too much on my M6TTL, but when I got my MP I really wanted a high quality leather strap. I opted for A&A's ACAM-250 Neckpad Strap in black:

http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam250.htm

I've been very happy with it's feel and performance. The soft leather conforms well when I wrap it around my wrist. And when I chose to carry it over my shoulder, it is solid, with just enough "give" to it, but not too much like a neoprene strap. It also looks very cool on the MP.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 09-09-2008   #46
kevin m

If function is your chief concern, you can't beat the UPstrap. In normal use, it simply won't slide off your shoulder. You can bend at the waist to pick things up, and it still stays on your shoulder.

Old 09-09-2008   #47
ederek

On Saturday I had a full CLA done on an M4. Along with the CLA, purchased a lens hood and black leather 1/2 case made by Mr. Zhou (from China). When I arrived home that day, the Artist & Artisan White Stitched strap had arrived, what timing!

Wish the stitched strap was Black versus Navy Blue.

It is not adjustable in length - will need to use it for a while to see if this length works for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. Might try one of the UPstraps as well.

Old 09-09-2008   #48
Meakin

One Company , that I don't see mentioned much is these guys:

http://www.luxecase.com/ They're Korean, but I know for a fact that they ship world wide, or at least they did for me.

Quality, and packaging for that matter - is superb.

Cheers,

Meakin

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- A. Einstein

Old 09-09-2008   #49
marke

I probably would have bought this model instead of the Neckpad Strap if it was in black. I mean, why did they choose BLUE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ederek View Post
On Saturday I had a full CLA done on an M4. Along with the CLA, purchased a lens hood and black leather 1/2 case made by Mr. Zhou (from China). When I arrived home that day, the Artist & Artisan White Stitched strap had arrived, what timing!

Wish the stitched strap was Black versus Navy Blue.

It is not adjustable in length - will need to use it for a while to see if this length works for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. Might try one of the UPstraps as well.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 09-09-2008   #50
peter_n
~

Domke Gripper. The one and only.

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-12-2008   #51
rlouzan

Schwalberg Strap/Strapateer.

WANTED: Schwalberg Strap/Strapateer.
Please send PM.

Thanks,
RLouzan

Old 09-12-2008   #52
luketrash
Trying to find my range

Here's what I did.. I got fed up with high prices, so I went on etsy.com to their Alchemy application and put out a work order on a custom leather strap.

I posted a couple of photos of the Artist and Artisan leather strap as well as a Luigi strap and asked for anybody in the leatherworking crafts to bid on a recreation.

So for 25 dollars, I'm having a custom black-with-white-stitching strap made that has my name embossed into it and some nautical star embossings as well.

Viva La Etsy.

Old 09-12-2008   #53
PATB

I have tried (and still own) the following for my MP: Upstrap, Optech, AA Neckpad Strap, Y-strap and Leica strap. The best for me is the one from Action Custom Straps. Very soft and comfy leather. Pricy but I should have just bought that to begin with.

http://www.actioncustomstraps.com/Cu...t_regular.html

Old 09-12-2008   #54
rlouzan

Good idea- Thanks!

Let us know how it tuns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketrash View Post
Here's what I did.. I got fed up with high prices, so I went on etsy.com to their Alchemy application and put out a work order on a custom leather strap.

I posted a couple of photos of the Artist and Artisan leather strap as well as a Luigi strap and asked for anybody in the leatherworking crafts to bid on a recreation.

So for 25 dollars, I'm having a custom black-with-white-stitching strap made that has my name embossed into it and some nautical star embossings as well.

Viva La Etsy.

Old 09-12-2008   #55
sniki

Definitely: Artisan and Artist silk cord strap!

Sniki

Old 09-14-2008   #56
ElrodCod

The Nikon AN4B is just right for me. A similar strap came with my Bessa R2s.

Old 01-04-2009   #57
matt352

Does anyone have experience with these kinds of wrist straps? (pics from online auction sites)

Old 01-04-2009   #58
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Or just a little piece of black gaffers tape does the job nicely.

Fuji X-T3; X-Pro1; XF10

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Old 01-04-2009   #59
mh2000

I have one with a smaller pad and it works well with my Canon 20D and smaller prime lenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt352 View Post
Does anyone have experience with these kinds of wrist straps? (pics from online auction sites)

luxecase worth a look
Old 01-09-2009   #60
theprez

luxecase worth a look

I just got a bunch of Luxecase straps from Korea (www.luxecase.com). I got the link from an earlier post on this thread (thanks so much)

Initial impressions? Decent value prices. Flawless craftsmanship. Top class materials. I'm worried they'll make my cameras look cheap. Will figure out how comfortable they are this weekend, but the leather is soooo creamy soft.

Took less than a week to arrive from Korea. Though their site is mostly in Korean, its very easy to order for non-Korean speakers...a simple email to them was all it took. They accept PayPal. The president of the company, Mr Kim answered email personally and immediately, even though I ordered over the New Year period. Now THAT is service. A true gentleman.

These straps are not only beautiful to touch and look at, they even smell great. The packaging is first-class. I couldn't think of a nicer gift to give a fellow photographer than one of these exquisitely made and packaged straps. I actually intended one of these as a gift, but now I'm feeling ashamed of myself...I want to keep it. Oh lust! get thee behind me.

Old 01-09-2009   #61
sepiareverb
genius and moron

A Domke Gripper 1" w/swivels is on all but one of my cameras. I've got a Luigi strap on one body, a Nikon F4. I quite like the Luigi strap, but the Domkes are cheaper and just as comfortable.

Old 01-09-2009   #62
Spider67

The Bessa factory strap looks very much like my favourite Nikon strap....only a bit sloppier made

Old 01-09-2009   #63
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
I hate to say that but I prefer the narrow black basic nikon strap to the leica.
Only problem: you need to buy a camera to get those :-) And of course to blacken the Nikon logo..
I concur...especially earlier AND latest versions without the white Nikon name logo. [The earlier versions uses chrome slider buckles, latest using black delrin molded with the Nikon name...naturally.]

A strap is only for hanging the camera around your neck or across the body. Wider ones distribute weight better. A length of non-slip materials sewn-on prevents unwanted slip-off's.

Nylon webbing is far stronger than leather and looks good in black.

The Nikon black strap is available separately for ~$15. In Tokyo, many camera stores sell identical no-brand-name version without any markings...for $2. I bought a few in my last trip.

You can also make your own easily:

Nylon webbing from 10mm to 25mm, or 3/8" and up [and in rainbow colors] are widely available, also matching delrin "slider" buckles...even the double loop type used by the almighty Leica strap. A length of silicone surgical tubing slipped onto the strap makes a perfect non-slip pad; also ironed-on waist-band non-slip tapes available in sewing notion stores.

The ends of the webbing is neatly sealed by placing it near a stove-top heat element. Sewing the ends permanently is easy...no pre-punching necessary.

Cutting a length, seal the ends and loop it onto slider buckles takes 5 minutes. No exotic skills required.

I have been making my own before the hippie color wide-strap fad of the early '70's...in army olive drab.

Contrary to popular opinions regarding the benefits of those little leather taps that purport to protect the camera finish: they don't work; rubbing something long enough even with a non-abrasive substance wears the surface...including solid titanium camera bodies.

The only effective way I have ever known is the way used in current M6, 7, 8's...a plastic tab mounted above the eyelets. Before anyone rushes out to buy a Leica just for that, a stick-on translucent silicone bump commonly used as bumpers in kitchen cabinets works great. I even have some black ones if you must use black.

Last edited by Frankie : 01-11-2009 at 00:38.

Old 01-09-2009   #64
Jason Sprenger

For a neck strap on an RF, I like the Voigtlander thin nylon one that came with my Bessa R2a. I removed the "grip" strip so that the strap will slide easily when I wear an RF camera bandoleer fashion. Grippy straps don't work well worn across the body, particularly under a jacket.

Though when I have a bag with me, usually a wrist strap will be found on the tripod socket.

My own
Old 01-10-2009   #65
BB52

My own

my handmade strap!

Old 10-29-2009   #66
TWoK
-

I'm a fan of the griptac bandoleer for my SLRs but I am still trying to find the perfect rangefinder strap.

Old 10-30-2009   #67
gilpen123
Gil

I like Gordy's straps

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 10-30-2009   #68
kitaanat
kitaanat

Since I fall in love with vintage camera I use Nikon Coolpix's strap on my first Kodak Retina and later I design my own camera strap. When I go to snap around the city people always ask me "where do you get this strap?"

anat

We see pictures through our own eyes. We edit it in our brain. If that's a good one, take it with our camera.

Old 11-24-2009   #69
EricC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Litt View Post
I was interested in the AA silk strap but when I inquired about ordering one the postage was nearly half as much again!Which I couldn't understand having had numerous items from the USA with far more realistic charges.Anyone know of any other source for the UK?

Regards
Steve

Try here :-

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/produ...oducts_id=1471

or here for an even larger selection :-

http://www.theclassiccamera.com/cate..._ARTISTS_1.htm

Regards
Eric

Old 11-24-2009   #70
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketrash View Post

Viva La Etsy.
Yes... except that I had a couple of 'clones' made of a strap I particularly liked that was no longer in production (Kik-90) and the leather just wasn't right: too thick and stiff.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-24-2009   #71
seifadiaz

Luigi straps for me. Very comfortable.

http://leicatime.com/a000-STRAPS-page.htm

Old 11-24-2009   #72
peter_n
~

I'm still Domke Gripper but I've cobbled together two camera straps from old Domke bag straps. They're 1" wide with swivel hooks and extremely flexible in length.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-12-2010   #73
axiom
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh3 View Post
I use braided Tibetan mountain goat tail hair.
Got one to spare?

Old 12-12-2010   #74
axiom
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Artisan and Artist. I like them so much there's a 'mini-review' here:

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photo...20artisan.html

Cheers,

R.
Where can I get the hemp ver.?

Old 12-12-2010   #75
Keyne

Love my Domke Gripper in Khaki . Its been mentioned before but I really like them too. I carry it on my shoulder all day long at times and it stays there nicely with confidence (e.g. no slipping whatsoever). Also, it doesn't have a logo so thats nice... I couldnt stand the Olympus, Panasonic logos in the straps. That being said... once my M8 gets here I think I am going to go for a wrist strap instead of a shoulder strap.

Old 12-12-2010   #76
ped
Small brown dog

I bought a strap from Luigi and got a custom length (after measuring the length of my R-D1 strap) non adjustable one in the 'rally' colour. It's perfect and really nicely made.

Old 12-12-2010   #77
paulfish4570

old-fashioned pentax 1/2-inch leather strap, naked with split rings.
optech with the neoprene band for the neck, 3/8-inch nylon strap ends for split rings.

Last edited by paulfish4570 : 12-12-2010 at 14:56.

Old 12-12-2010   #78
mathomas

I mostly use wrist straps, but for my Fuji 690 and SLRs, I like both the Domke wide and narrow straps. If you want grip you turn the rubber "in", if you don't, turn it "out". I'm an outie, because I like to shift the camera around over my shoulder.

Old 12-12-2010   #79
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post
I bought a strap from Luigi and got a custom length (after measuring the length of my R-D1 strap) non adjustable one in the 'rally' colour. It's perfect and really nicely made.
i'm curious as to what length you chose...

i just ordered a gordy non adjustable in 58 inch length. i normally use a wrist strap but thought i'd try a long strap for the cold winter months...bandolero style.

Old 12-12-2010   #80
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
The silk strap by A&A is my favourite.
they look great! but too short!