Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: Leather Half-Cases: how do you feel about them?
I hate them. 26 11.87%
I am indifferent do them. 92 42.01%
I adore them. 101 46.12%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

A&a
Old 07-27-2008   #41
markrich
Enthusiatic amatuer

A&a

Tried Yahoo! to find A&A but no web site discovered.

How could I learn which products they have?

Old 07-27-2008   #42
Leica All Day

here you go

http://www.artisanandartist.com/

cheers, Michael

Old 08-05-2008   #43
btgc

I spent us$10 for ERC for my eur10 KAS2. If it happily falls again on bottom not lens, I will justify this expenses. Oh, and ERC included KAS which I don't use for now.
All in all, I don't adore cases (there are nicer things to adore) but they make RF's easier to carry than naked camera. Thicker? Most of fixed lens RF's need soft release too, which makes them also taller!

SLR (evil ones) are different - they don't need any cases. Naked, with neck strap - to loop it around hand. "People are strange", aren't they?

Old 08-08-2008   #44
myoptic3

I like the half cases, especially if I am shooting a camera w/o lugs. But they are not worth what people are charging for them. $20 should be right for a quality low end one, and $50 tops for a high end. To charge $200 and upwards is insane. But hey, if people are dumb enough to pay that... It's like walking into a store at the mall and seeing $300 cowboy hats. Would any real cowboy wear a $300 hat?! No dang hat is worth $300.

Old 08-13-2008   #45
literiter

I received my 1/2 case from Mr. Zhou, for my M4-P, two days ago. So far I'm pleased but it takes a while to see how often it gets left off.

-Relatively speaking, film loading isn't really compromised because it's easy to take off and put on. If you can comfortably load a Leica M, dealing with a small thing like installing a 1/2 case shouldn't be a challenge.
-There is little bump protection but lots of scratch protection.
-Shutter sound is dampened just a little.
-The case has finger grips which really work well.
-Nice leather, mine is dark brown, well sewn.
-Took less than two weeks to get here.
-Total cost with shipping less than $80.00. (not bad!)

If the case idea works maybe I'll get a Luigi case for my M2.

Old 08-13-2008   #46
infrequent

looking forward to receiving a Zhou case for my hexar. all up it was about 65 quid.

Old 08-13-2008   #47
ChuckBindy

I just received my hexar RF case from Zhou yesterday. It fits like a glove and makes for a much better grip. And, it came in only four day all the way from Shanghai China!

Old 08-13-2008   #48
javimm

Quote:
-Total cost with shipping less than $80.00. (not bad!)
Quote:
all up it was about 65 quid.
I'm considering one Zhou case myself. Where did you get them?.
There's Zhou cases on the 'Bay for $48 incl. shipping. Are those copies or orignal ones?. Yours seem to cost more than the ones I've seen. Are there several materials/qualities that cost more?

Thank you very much.

Old 08-13-2008   #49
literiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimm View Post
I'm considering one Zhou case myself. Where did you get them?.
There's Zhou cases on the 'Bay for $48 incl. shipping. Are those copies or orignal ones?. Yours seem to cost more than the ones I've seen. Are there several materials/qualities that cost more?

Thank you very much.
Try this:http://stores.ebay.ca/Zhou-Camera-Case

Last edited by literiter : 08-13-2008 at 08:16.

Old 08-13-2008   #50
dazedgonebye

I use the bottom half of the free never ready case I got with my R3A. I like the way it changes the grip enough to sell off my add on grip.
Not elegant and I'm sure a Luigi half case would feel like leather heaven by comparison...even so...it does the job and free is pretty compelling.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 08-13-2008   #51
infrequent

@chuckbindy - well mine got here in 2.5 days! was the fastest ebay transaction evah for me. looking forward to fitting it when i get home.

Old 08-13-2008   #52
.ken
I like pictures

I ordered the Mr. Zhou camera case. It works and the leather feels good. Although it has that bad leather smell. I hope it wears out soon.

It was the fastest delivery i've received from China... I think a couple of days which is amazing IMO.

The voigtlander full/half case for $1 is a great deal and serves its purpose.

I like holding my camera with the strap wrapped around my hand for ready shots so I' dont like heavy and thick straps whatsoever. The voigtlander strap (regular & deluxe) feel good, light and strong plus it's not hard to wrap around your hand or switch to shoulder position.

Last edited by .ken : 08-13-2008 at 19:05.

Old 08-13-2008   #53
edho
edho

I like to use strap, in particular wrist strap. For neck strap I will wrap it around my hand to shoot. I think that's all I need for holding the camera tight when shooting. However, I can't resist the half case by Luigi. Not because for providing better grip or protection, but just because they are too beautiful.

Last edited by edho : 08-13-2008 at 21:28.

Old 08-13-2008   #54
MichaelHarris

A Luigi half case is a thing of beauty that one should truly experience. Too corny? Try one and you'll agree, I have two.

Old 08-14-2008   #55
infrequent

the zhou case fits well on the hexar. i like the improved grip as well.

Old 08-14-2008   #56
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Ah...Luigi (Mr Zhou is pretty nice, too.) a thing of beauty to look at. If only it felt comfortable in my hands. Alas it does not, so I forgo half cases.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-20-2008   #57
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

I had own and subsequently sold two luigi cases (half and full). I just love to rub the hard cold metal. Of course, bottom plate and edges have shown some uses.

Old 08-20-2008   #58
raid
Dad Photographer

I use the cases/half cases only while storing cameras in camera bags at home. When it somes to photography, the "gloves" come off. Covering up cameras is not practical at all.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-29-2008   #59
pfoto

Aren't you inviting mildew/mold by storing your equipment in leather?

Old 09-04-2008   #60
Timothy

I use mine for the exact oposite of it purpose. Having a beat up half case covered it manky bits of tape and plasters makes my camera looks like I just bought it at a flea market. Having my rather expensive camera looking like its worth about £5 has proven to be invaluable.

Old 09-15-2008   #61
AndyA

I use Luigi half-case on my M4. Partly it's due my long fingers so grip gives me some comfort handling despite of possible slow film loading. Another part was my contact with Luigi. It was very pleasing experience of contacting of MAKER in our days of mass productions. Handmade items are costly but you know who made them for you and its very pleasing from my point of view.

Old 09-16-2008   #62
irq506
just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
What do people think of these things? Personally, I don't see the point. They fail to protect the only things that need protection--the lens and the controls--and look to me kinda like those leather bras that people with too much time and money on their hands put on the front of their cars. Also they cost what, two hundred dollars? That's fifty rolls of Tri-X, a semi-decent tripod, or twenty-five bottles of totally acceptable wine.

Or maybe there's something I'm missing. Half-case nutcases: defend yourselves.
Me too...
I think they make the camera bulky. Ive dribbled over luigi cases onse or twice and then had one and it drove me up the wall. Added bulk and another step inthe loading process. It takes me 15 seconds to rewind and load a new roll I dont want that to be any longer then it has to be.
I use gaffer tape to cover my gear.

I have only good gear.

Old 09-22-2008   #63
urban_alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHarris View Post
A Luigi half case is a thing of beauty that one should truly experience. Too corny? Try one and you'll agree, I have two.
Totally agree - as I found out to my detriment.

I was dubious to start with too, until I bit the bullet and ordered one: an 'aged brown' half-case for my M8. Wish I hadn't...

Now I've got 4 more:

A green ostrich on my M7,
A rally on my MP,
And two brown croco for my MP-3 - both with and without Leicavit.

They protect the camera from daily bumps, and they look,feel and smell better than great.

Old 09-22-2008   #64
peter_n
~

I bought a Zhou case for a project with young classical musicians. The idea was that the case would quieten the shutter sound a bit. To my ear it doesn't make any difference. Anyone else used a half case for this purpose or noticed an effect?

My RFF Gallery

The half case
Old 09-22-2008   #65
DwF

The half case

I just returned from a trip to Europe and carried my camera in my Luigi half case. For the ten days my camera went everywhere with me.

The Luigi case is really nice in terms of it's build and aesthetic, but also protection for the body, and function (the grip). It becomes like a seat belt in that when you remove the case to change out batteries or sd card, the camera feels unsafe and exposed!

So if you get one, chose one you like because you'll probably live with it.

sound of shutter in case
Old 09-22-2008   #66
DwF

sound of shutter in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
I bought a Zhou case for a project with young classical musicians. The idea was that the case would quieten the shutter sound a bit. To my ear it doesn't make any difference. Anyone else used a half case for this purpose or noticed an effect?
Unfortunately I agree with you that it doesn't bring the M8 any closer to a Hexar in terms of quiet! There have been a couple of situations where I wish the M8 were quieter. The case makes no difference that I can discern. I guess eventually, I will do the upgrade.

David

Old 10-05-2008   #67
Vickko

When I had an M8, I had a Zhou half case. It was beautiful, and gave a solid gripping surface to the M8.

Old 10-10-2008   #68
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
Unfortunately I agree with you that it doesn't bring the M8 any closer to a Hexar in terms of quiet! There have been a couple of situations where I wish the M8 were quieter. The case makes no difference that I can discern. I guess eventually, I will do the upgrade.

David
What case did you use? I wonder if there is more sound-deadening quality in one than in another.

My RFF Gallery

Quieting sound of camera
Old 10-10-2008   #69
DwF

Quieting sound of camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
What case did you use? I wonder if there is more sound-deadening quality in one than in another.
Peter
I use the Luigi with built-in grip and really like it. With any half case I think the fact that so much of the camera is left exposed, sound will leak. But maybe Luigi will come up with a grip that when you squeeze it, it emits a cough or sneezing sound to mask the shutter It could be called the museum case!
David

Zhou out of Ye
Old 10-10-2008   #70
DeeCee3

Wink Zhou out of Ye

I recently received a Zhou half-case which I ordered from Youxin Ye (he sells them, in case you didn't know). I can find no problems with it. It seems very well sewn together, the leather feels (and smells) right, and the little "bump" in the upper right-hand back makes a perfect thumb rest.

Usage of the case/camera combination has been rather restricted since I got it but we leave on vacation tomorrow and it'll get a good work out for the next 10 days.

dc3

Old 10-10-2008   #71
PhotoMat

I have a Luigi case for my M6TTL and I find that it serves more than just a protective purpose. It is called the Millennium model and has the straps attached to the case, which makes it quite handy when changing film -- just put your baseplate in the case while it remains suspended from your neck or shoulder. No holding the baseplate in your mouth or stuffing it in a lint-filled pocket!

(From the Leicatime website)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MillenniumThreeHalfCasesFront.jpg (34.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 10-10-2008   #72
Sylvaticus

Everything has a context. From the 1930s to the 1980s roughly most smaller cameras came with an ERC (ever-ready in comparison to digging into camera bags or unpacking field cameras). One button, drop the flap, take your picture. Photography was slow in the 1930s. Then some-one got the bright idea of unhooking the flap. They started going out of fashion around 1970.

Who wants protection? Depends what sort of life you lead. In the open country or in the mountains, there are stiles to climb, fallen trees to get round or over, rocks to clamber on, plenty of things to give those dents and dings so carefully listed by e==y sellers.

My RFF gallery
My DSLRX gallery
My Flickr gallery

Old 10-10-2008   #73
JohnL
Very confused

I have one (Luigi), but hardly ever use it, as it delays the time needed to change film. There are environments where I might use it if I thought it might help me to "fit in" better. I don't find the grip issue to be significant. YMMV.

Last edited by JohnL : 10-10-2008 at 11:55.

Old 11-06-2008   #74
jody36

they look good but dont see the point my grip is fine but then again IM not that old to have lost my grip.

Old 11-06-2008   #75
John Lawrence

Like some others here, I cut the top off an old ever-ready case and use the bottom for my Barnack Leicas. If I'm honest it's because years ago I read an article on photojournalists from the '30s and '40s and they recommended doing this for (I think) better grip. At the time I thought this looked pretty cool, and wanted to replicate the image. Years later it now feels strange shooting my Barnack Leicas without the half case.

Speed of film loading is not such an issue ....

Old 12-19-2008   #76
Al Kaplan

Dings, dents, and chipped vulcanite give a great grip. I thought that one of the reasons that we bought Leicas was because of their small size. I thought that Leitz went to the M4 "tulip" film loading to SPEED UP loading. I've never had a non-photographer make a comment about the condition of my cameras other than the occasional "Wow, I bet that camera has some stories it could tell!"

My Gallery

Old 12-20-2008   #77
dostacos
Dan

I like the feel of the leather AND the bras cut down on rock hit paint chips and bug guts on the front of the cars when we are doing .5 past light speed

Old 12-20-2008   #78
mh2000

only on cameras that lack strap lugs.

Old 07-02-2009   #79
DougFord
on the good foot

I use the Zhou half case for my Minolta Cl. The stitching came loose without provocation. Luckily I had a good grasp on the strap before the camera hit the ground.
If you have one of these cases I would suggest checking the integrity of the stitching. Im gonna repair mine using nylon thread or some dental floss and
perhaps a spot of gorilla glue.
Attachment 71173

Last edited by DougFord : 01-03-2010 at 10:45.

Old 07-02-2009   #80
Al Kaplan

It looks like all those stitches broke! Amazing.

My Gallery