Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite <compact> Light Meter?
Sekonic (Twin-mate, or other small models) 272 36.61%
Gossen (Pilot, or other diminutive types) 220 29.61%
Weston (don't know the models) 58 7.81%
Minolta (are there any small ones?) 20 2.69%
Pentax (any small ones?) 4 0.54%
Leica Meter 35 4.71%
CV Meter 121 16.29%
Brand X (no offense intended) 58 7.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2008   #81
Ikontafan
1936 Zeiss Super Ikonta C

Although I have a Sekonic L28 Studio Deluxe which still works perfectly after 33 years, my favorites are my Zeiss Ikophots. They are compact,and beautifully made. The case and wrist chain look like they could have come from Coach. And-- after 57 years, they still work great! They are nice companion pieces to my three Zeiss Super Ikontas.

Old 01-15-2008   #82
BillP
Rangefinder General

Genuinely curious...

What or where is "Coach"...?

Regards,

Bill

I won't take a cameraphone seriously until I see one with a tripod socket...

IID M2, M7, 15, 35x4, 50x7, 75, 90x3, 135
Lightmancer
My Images
12 of my best
Rangefound

Old 01-15-2008   #83
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast

Coach, is a high-end leather goods manufacturer. Apparently, some people go "ga ga" over their handbags.

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

Old 01-15-2008   #84
besk

I have had a Gossen Digisix for three years. It has been to Bogen two or three times. I would not recommend it at all.

First, it requires first reading a number and then rotating a dial to get the required camera settings.

Second (an most important): It goes dead at the most inconventient times. It isn't the battery but an internal fault. It was sent to Bogen three times with a full explanation of the problem. Each time it has been returned at no charge but with the same problem - as if they don't think any thing is wrong with it.

Old 01-15-2008   #85
Vics

I voted for the Minolta Autometer IV, only because it's the only meter I own. It lives in the bag, and comes out only for the occaisional reality check, usually in low light. I'm pretty good with daylight sunny 16, and I only shoot B&W, so... I would love something more compact, but it would have to handle low light well.
Vic

Old 01-15-2008   #86
BillP
Rangefinder General

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr
Coach, is a high-end leather goods manufacturer. Apparently, some people go "ga ga" over their handbags.
Thanks Ron - you live and learn!

Regards,

Bill

I won't take a cameraphone seriously until I see one with a tripod socket...

IID M2, M7, 15, 35x4, 50x7, 75, 90x3, 135
Lightmancer
My Images
12 of my best
Rangefound

Old 01-15-2008   #87
PaulDalex
Dilettante artist

I have the digiflash. I also have a Minolta spotmeter. I should say that nothing come close to this latter when one really want to analyze light, contrast and make satisfactory decisions on exposure. It is bulky and heavy but I see myself picking the Minolta and leaving the Gossen home most of the times.

Old 01-16-2008   #88
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Sekonic Flashmate L-308s

Old 01-16-2008   #89
Jerevan
Recycled User

Not that compact, but a favourite: Sekonic L398. It's always in my walkabout camera bag. Tried the Twinmate, but I never got along with it and sold it. Then I got the 398 for free. Would buy a one new if I lost mine? You bet!

Last edited by Jerevan : 01-16-2008 at 01:20.

Old 01-17-2008   #90
W Morgan
ici parlons photo-patois

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n
The brand-X I voted up there is for a Quantum Calcu-Light XP - the very best low-light meter out there.
Ditto that

Old 01-17-2008   #91
polaski

Gossen Digasix. Much maligned, but its analog readout is just was I was accustomed to with my Gossen Luna-Pro S.

Yes, you have to read the digital readout and then adjust the dial. but once you have adjusted the dial, you have an instant view of most of you exposure options.

Why do I prefer an analog readout? It's an intuitive interface for anyone who has used manual cameras. The scales are right there in full view.

It's also a light little thing that's convenient to carry.

Old 01-18-2008   #92
ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdiddy
What is your favorite compact hand held light meter for RF photography?

What is your favorite "type" of metering (analog vs. digital)?
I think the question is not well posed. I myself own near ten different handheld meters, and I find them all usefull according to the type of RF photography you perform.

The second criteria influencing one's best meter, is how much you have to lean upon a hand held meter.

Beyond that, the only thing I can say on behalf of everyone looking for a hand held meter is to avoid at all Gossen meters. The reason is that they are the worst marked meters for reading. I own two of them, the Sixtar and the Pilot.

The Pilot is Gossen's easiest one to read, and easy by all criteria. Unfortunately in both Pilots I own (one of them purchased as "mint") the selenium cell is tyred and unaccurate for high light levels. Its small size - a delikatessen.

The other one is a Sixtar, cds cell, built along the patterns of all Lunas and surroundings. Extremely cumbersome to read.

As for the Gossen Digisix, I have read bad comments upon obtaining temperature readings instead of light levels, and I understand from its way of operation that upon clicking you get and EV to be further transormed into a light reading via dialing - hardly the league of digital meters.

Cheers,
Ruben

Old 01-18-2008   #93
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben
Beyond that, the only thing I can say on behalf of everyone looking for a hand held meter is to avoid at all Gossen meters. The reason is that they are the worst marked meters for reading.
Utter nonsense, IMHO.

Old 01-18-2008   #94
ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
Utter nonsense, IMHO.
Thank you for your kindness. Now lets do some visual comparizon. On the left a Luna Pro, on the right a Euromaster.

Cheers,
Ruben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LunaProSB RFF.jpg (184.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg euromaster II RFF.jpg (128.0 KB, 96 views)

Old 01-18-2008   #95
le vrai rdu

I bought a sekonic 208 last week, nice little device

Old 01-18-2008   #96
Gumby

Quote:
Thank you for your kindness. Now lets do some visual comparizon. On the left a Luna Pro, on the right a Euromaster.
Jeez, don't take it personally. It's just that Gossen has been in the business for a long, long time. They know their customers and they have LOTS of them - very happy customers, in fact. Apparently you are not one of them. If you desire a "simpler" meter, then that is your need and you should seek/use one.

I'm sorry, but I don't see your point in the pictures. If you are refering to the additional scales on the Luna Pro... well, there are some photographers who need them, use them, and understand them.

I still think your universal condemnation of Gossen meters is unwarranted and ignorant (in the most polite sense of the word).

How about agreeing to disagree??

Old 01-18-2008   #97
arbib

Quote:

Cheers,
Ruben
I have agree with Ruben...Many of the meters I have been looking at (I am in the market for compact) have RINGS of numbers that are Small and Close together like the Luna Pro...Not that easy to GLACE at for the reading combinations....The Pilot is Easy to read.. because it does not have "Tons" of other information to look at.

I owned a Vivitar #23 (about the size of a Pilot with a Shoe on it. That was Easy to read too. I am looking to find another one..It is a CDS cell. Although I would like a working Selenium Cell with a shoe more...But, they are are harder to find.

I know the Pilot has a shoe accessory...but the ones on EBay don't.

Old 01-19-2008   #98
ruben

Hi Gumby,
Kindly notice that I have brought to the forefront for comparizon to the Gossens, not just a lower breed, but perhaps the highest class meter, the Weston Master last version, which one can regard to be The legendary meter, in some sense like Leicas can be regarded as The legendary cameras. Behind the outer simplicity of the Weston there are a lot ot possibilities for exposure compensation that I am not speaking about, because Gossen is on trial.

I am not saying that Gossen are unaccurate, nor I even start to talk about their ergonomics, but those multiple scales with all those dual dots below the numbers..... Not for me.

Furthermore, I have noticed that within their overcomplex design, there is still some place to improve the visual graphics by changing the background color, alternatively, of each scale. I mean that from the outer to the center you have a scale with black background, white background, black background and so on.

Have they done this minimum, you have arrived to have a much more readable f/stop scale in the example I am showing above. Even this they have not taken care of.

On the other hand, Gossen has produced many well designed meters in very far past, and 'lately' with their meter for dummies (according to their thinking) The Pilot.

What a candy the Pilot could still be haven't Gossen discountinued it !

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by ruben : 01-19-2008 at 06:57.

Old 01-19-2008   #99
ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbib
I know the Pilot has a shoe accessory...but the ones on EBay don't.

Hi Arbib,
I don't know if I am entitled to generalize or not, but my two Pilot meter's cells are tired.

Perhaps before you repeat my mistake and put a hundred on a "mint" one, you should initiate a poll asking weather any member here as an accurate working Pilot.

I can be mistaken, but certainly take this into account before the shoe.

BTW, it is a bit strange to me that in many other cameras we find relatively well working selenium cells, from time to time, and the newer Pilot meter cell is already tired. Perhaps the cell is not tired but there is a common shortcomming in other part of these meters, we could fix.

I don't know, it is beyond my league.

Cheers,
Ruben

Old 01-19-2008   #100
Frank Petronio
-

Just a vote for the Digiflash, I think it is great. I had a Euromaster but found that to be a PITA in use. And I've had several Minoltas and Luna-Pros over the years.

The meter I used the most was a Pentax 1 degree digital spot -- twenty years and never a glitch -- but honestly I tend to use a digicam w a Histogram most of all.

Old 01-19-2008   #101
ferider

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Quantum Calculight X or XP - rather
compact and the best meter for low light.

Roland.

Old 01-19-2008   #102
Pablito
coco frío

Since the thread is about compact meters, I only wanted to point out that those of you who have not seen in person the CV meter may not be aware of just how tiny it is. I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine. It's about half the size of the Leica hot-shoe meters.

Old 01-19-2008   #103
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito
Since the thread is about compact meters, I only wanted to point out that those of you who have not seen in person the CV meter may not be aware of just how tiny it is. I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine. It's about half the size of the Leica hot-shoe meters.
It is real small:

But no incident metering. Good meter though, better than the MR* any time.

Old 01-19-2008   #104
Graham Line

Two meters get steady use around here; one is an old Gossen Super-Pilot that I can't even remember buying. The other is a Sekonic 308 something, which replaced a previous Sekonic that drowned. Nice things about the Sekonic are the display illumination, greater sensitivity, and use of a AA battery.
Both are used 95% of the time for incident metering.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 01-19-2008   #105
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brugger
Two meters get steady use around here; one is an old Gossen Super-Pilot that I can't even remember buying. The other is a Sekonic 308 something, which replaced a previous Sekonic that drowned. Nice things about the Sekonic are the display illumination, greater sensitivity, and use of a AA battery.
Both are used 95% of the time for incident metering.
An illuminated display would be a big plus with me, if it allowed me to read it without glasses.

I've tied a keylight type LED flashlight (torch, for UK readers I believe) to the strap of my Gossen Pilot as an alternative to reading glasses.

Old 01-19-2008   #106
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Quote:
I think the question is not well posed. I myself own near ten different handheld meters, and I find them all usefull according to the type of RF photography you perform.

The second criteria influencing one's best meter, is how much you have to lean upon a hand held meter.

Cheers,
Ruben
I rely on a meter of some kind 99% of the time. Perhaps it's a lack of confidence on my part.

A couple of posters have mentioned a preference for analog meters specifically. But many others in this thread have done so implicitly. I guess I'm not surprised that members prefer analog, because I do. But I notice that most of the current production meters provide digital readout rather than analog. I wonder if RF users are in the minority as far as preference for analog?

Old 01-19-2008   #107
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdiddy
I wonder if RF users are in the minority as far as preference for analog?

It probably doesn't necessarily split along equipment type, specifically the distance measuring mechanism, but along other factors.

Amount of money available to spend on a meter is one possible discriminator. There are hoardes of people out there buying old Westons and Luna Pros because they are affordable and accurate, but maybe not so much because they are analog. Those same people, often users of SLRs, TLRs, and other non-rangefinder cameras, may have a greater respect than others for usable vintage equipment... which are mostly analog.

The preference also seems to split along the lines of the type of photography and metering needed. Flash meters, for example, might skew the preference toward digital meters. Large Format photography, where spot metering is more common, probably does the same; the highly-worshiped spotmeter, of course, is the Pentax 1 deg. Spotmeter.

Old 01-19-2008   #108
ruben

Quote:

Cheers,
Ruben
Hi Crawdidy,

Well, I mayself didn't phrase myself right.

Instead of saying "to the type of RF photography you perform", I had to say the type of metering you perform.

Analog meters, in my understanding, viewed from today's existance of digital meters, are rather the target of the exposure thinker photographer, the one who compensates the reading of the meter.

Digital meters, as they don't use dials, except for the Gossen Digisix, give you a superfast reading, more useable by the photographer that does not compensate the reading.

Of course that according to human nature we may find exceptions in both types of photographers, i.e, those who compensate using digital meters and vice versa.

In fact, the Digisix may be a good compromise between the two schools and very compact as well.

On the other hand, a digital meter used for incident readings (white dome) may help you to gain experience with light levels and thus making you more free from relying all the time on the meter, if this is within your purposes.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by ruben : 01-19-2008 at 16:23.

Old 01-19-2008   #109
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Quote:
Hi Crawdidy,

Well, I mayself didn't phrase myself right.

Instead of saying "to the type of RF photography you perform", I had to say the type of metering you perform.

Analog meters, in my understanding, viewed from today's existance of digital meters, are rather the target of the exposure thinker photographer, the one who compensates the reading of the meter.

Of course that according to human nature we may find exceptions in both types of photographers, i.e, those who compensate using digital meters and vice versa.

In fact, the Digisix may be a good compromise between the two schools and very compact as well.

On the other hand, a digital meter used for incident readings (white dome) may help you to gain experience with light levels and thus making you more free from relying all the time on the meter, if this is within your purposes.

Cheers,
Ruben
Ruben, that's an interesting distinction you make.

Old 01-19-2008   #110
le vrai rdu

I don't think there is any difference between digital an analog lightmeter owners , using a lightmeter means that you understand light. And buying a digital meter, due to it's cost, means that you know how to use it

Old 01-19-2008   #111
arbib

Quote:
Hi Arbib,
I don't know if I am entitled to generalize or not, but my two Pilot meter's cells are tired.

Perhaps before you repeat my mistake and put a hundred on a "mint" one, you should initiate a poll asking weather any member here as an accurate working Pilot.

I can be mistaken, but certainly take this into account before the shoe.

BTW, it is a bit strange to me that in many other cameras we find relatively well working selenium cells, from time to time, and the newer Pilot meter cell is already tired. Perhaps the cell is not tired but there is a common shortcomming in other part of these meters, we could fix.

I don't know, it is beyond my league.

Cheers,
Ruben
Thanks for the heads up...Maybe the CDS version is more reliable...
Anyway, I found a Small Vivitar 23 CDS shoe mount for the forth-coming MIR RF..The Owner has used it recently with his TLR..I saw the results Flicker...So, I hope all is legit with the condition..I had one on the Zorki 1e I sold a few months back.

There is a new Sekonic Shoe mount for $80.00 at my local camera dealer....Tempting...But I want a vintage type for a vintage RF...go figure

Old 01-28-2008   #112
rtphotos

I have a Pentax digital spot meter, and a Sekonic flash L358 meter. They aren't really compact, but they both get the job done depending on what I am photographing.

I'm getting more interested in older meter-less cameras, so this week I went looking for a smaller analog and battery-less meter.

I purchased both a Sekonic L-398 and Weston Master II. I got the L-398 because I used one in my college photography classes and am comfortable with it. It's pretty bullet-proof, too. I got the Weston because it is so "vintage". Both seem to be in good working condition and are smaller than my more contemporary meters, but about the same weight. Got them for a good price, too!

Good luck on finding a meter that suits your style, pocket book and shooting requirements.

rt

edit: a friend gave me her Sekonic L28-C2 (upper-left), almost identical to the L-398.

Last edited by rtphotos : 09-10-2008 at 00:18. Reason: added flickr image

Old 01-29-2008   #113
varjag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Quantum Calculight X or XP - rather
compact and the best meter for low light.

Roland.
It's been mentioned by Peter at least But you folks made me curious, and the meter appears just what I was looking for.

What is the going price for them? Are they still in production? Not much offering on eBay at the moment..

Old 01-29-2008   #114
projectbluebird
Film Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuolumne
The Digisix has a reputation for eating through batteries very quickly. Mine certainly does. A battery lasts a very short time, whether in use or not. Perhaps it's just an occasional defect, though it's worth knowing about.

/T
I've heard of this, but not had this problem. Even with all the accidental button pushing (in pockets, it happens) I get about a year out of the battery, and you can find it at any hardware store!

Old 01-29-2008   #115
ernstk
Retro Renaissance

Am I the only person who uses a Leicameter? I use the MR model and I think it's great.

It's small, accurate, has 2 sensitivity settings and best of all, it's coupled to the shutter speed dial which makes it very quick to use.

Also, I can take semi spot readings by using the 90mm framelines which equals the meter's field of view.

Ernst

M-P, M8, M2, 35 Summilux pre ASPH, Summilux 35 pre, Summaron 35/2.8, Elmarit 21/2.8, CV 21/4
Ricoh GR Digital

Last edited by ernstk : 01-29-2008 at 02:42.

Old 01-29-2008   #116
EcoLeica
Check out my blog!!!

i have a lovely near mint weston IV and a weston V both with invacones, fairly accurate and quiet small to throw in the pocket

Old 02-08-2008   #117
Nokton48

"Am I the only person who uses a Leicameter?"

Not any more: It's for M2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=016

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-09-2008 at 09:06.

Old 02-09-2008   #118
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast

I just picked up a Weston Master V from another RFFer. I'm suprised at how small and well made it is. And really, it's not fussy to use at all. The dial may be a bit crowded, but ALL the information is there.

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

Old 02-09-2008   #119
wjlapier

I'm recently purchased a S2 and bought the CV II meter after some research. I really wanted a meter that would mount on the hotshoe. Very small and looks great on the S2 ( the meter is black ). I tested it on my D300 for accuracy and it's spot on.

The "Sixtar"
Old 02-21-2008   #120
pinafore2

The "Sixtar"

I have always been used to use a handheld meter with my "Retina 1a", but entering into a more serios use of rangefinders lead me to look for a better meter.
A used Gossen "Sixtar" tempted me at the local shop since the price would be Approx. the same as similar from E-bay, including postage to Dk.

I was wery exited to see the performance of this equip. but since it is the "Dark" season her it took me a while to get a film through the Kiev.

However i did some shots at night, in the moonlight of the january full moon. I was able to take readings from the "Sixtar" saying Appr. 30 Sec. exposure times, and i think the result came out quite well.

The film is fujichrome-400, but by mistake processed as Color-neg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004p.jpg (125.0 KB, 97 views)