Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a rewind post attachment?
Would not buy one 135 56.25%
$25-$50 46 19.17%
$50-$75 23 9.58%
$75-$100 22 9.17%
more than $100 14 5.83%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy an M2/3/P rewind post accessory?
Old 04-24-2007   #1
abenner
undecided

Would you buy an M2/3/P rewind post accessory?

I've used Leicas for a while and just got an M3 that came with an old Wasserman crank attachment. It improves the M3 rewind significantly. I've been exploring the possibility of producing such an item with my brother, a tool and dye guy. They are rarely found on ebay or elsewhere.

Question is, how much would you pay for such an item? Ideally, it would be brass, a nice piece, simple, elegant, probably black in color, not sure about chrome. Would fit the M2, M3, and MP. I think the nicest one I've seen is the Magnum type shown at the top of S. Gandy's page here: http://www.cameraquest.com/LRWlev.htm

Answers and comments appreciated.

Photoequip
Old 04-24-2007   #2
Artorius
Caribbean Traveler

Photoequip

A good alternative to the Leica one, only $108.00. I use the MP-Winder from here;
http://www.photoequip.net/

-Respect-
Art

Old 04-24-2007   #3
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Why ruin the looks of the M2,3??

I like it the way it is..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 04-24-2007   #4
maddoc
... likes film.

Artorius: Thanks for the link ! I just ordered one in silver ...

- Gabor

flickr
pBase

Old 04-24-2007   #5
Artorius
Caribbean Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc
Artorius: Thanks for the link ! I just ordered one in silver ...

- Gabor
Glad to have helped. I have been using mine for for about 6 mo. on my M3. I also have the grip which, to me, is an absolute must option for the street. I am ordering another one for my M6 as we speak.

-Respect-
Art

Old 04-24-2007   #6
Artorius
Caribbean Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn
Why ruin the looks of the M2,3??

I like it the way it is..
It doesn't ruin anything, just makes it easier to rewind the film.

-Respect-
Art

Old 04-24-2007   #7
adep

I recently bought the one in the link, and have used it to rewind 16 rolls of film. It does fine, I do rewind more quickly with it on. The little knob is okay, just a tad on the small side. The only other alternative I found was the Leica MP winder accessory. I forget how much it is at the moment, I just remember it was too much! I'd welcome another option, as long as it was as sturdy and well built as the camera it was going on. Bonus points for keeping it under $100. As for looks, yeah, my M2 is not as photogenic with it attached, but I lean toward useability instead of oogle-ability

RFF

flickr

Old 04-24-2007   #8
laptoprob
back to basics

I had one of those but sold it off because the extra rewind crank sticks out. One of the beautiful things of the screwmounts and the M's is that the top surface is a plane with all the knobs.
Same reason I don't have a softie on the M2. I do have something like a softie on the IIf because the original collar is missing. Without the extra softie on the IIf it is too easy to touch the rotating speed dial. And mess up the photo.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

Architecture and Photography

Old 04-25-2007   #9
JoNL

Never missed one. Would spend the money on film.

Old 04-25-2007   #10
Doug

I don't care if a crank makes rewinding easier, I like the knob. Not a softie user either...

Old 04-25-2007   #11
Krosya
Konicaze

I'd try one - if it was $20. Any more $$ - it's just rediculous IMO. I can rewind my M3 without it just fine.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 04-25-2007   #12
icemendicant

I came into Leica ownership through the M6 and modern MPs (a la carte, with the M7 style crank). The first knob-rewind camera I used was the M3 and I absolutely love the solid utility of the knob rewind. Just feels more sturdy than the crank, and not significantly slower for the way I shoot, so I wouldn't really feel the need for an accessory. YMMV, of course, so each to his own! :-)

Dan

RF: Bronica RF645, Mamiya 7ii, Leica MP3, Contax G2, Fujifilm TX-2, GW & GSW690III
Non-RF: Contax 645, Nikon F3, F4, Mamiya C330s, Canon S95

Blog - Facebook - Flickr

Old 04-25-2007   #13
Magus

Post deleted by posters request

Old 04-25-2007   #14
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I personally wouldn't be very interested in one - I find the stock M3 rewind to be wholly acceptable. However, if I were to consider one, it would have to have the following three characteristics:

1. A design that makes it impossible to scratch the top plate while winding.

2. A folding or collapsing crank handle so nothing sticks up above the top plate when shooting.

3. A price of $50 or so.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 04-25-2007   #15
rover

Never would buy one. Leica got it right with the post and messed up when they went to that slanted thing in 1967.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 04-25-2007   #16
Simon Larbalestier

I purchased the Leica one and then had the crank handle changed to make it longer and not "springy" a vast improvement. I also just acquired the Photo Equip version (half the price of the Leica one) which is lighter than the OE one and a very neat fit with a good grip. Hot hands in sticky humid climates made these accessories a must have for me and they certainly speed the process up when changing films on the fly which for me makes a difference regardless of how they look. I also use the softies - both the TA ones and the ones made by Luigi.

Last edited by Simon Larbalestier : 04-25-2007 at 09:38.

Got an M2 rewind crank from Tamarkin
Old 04-25-2007   #17
leica M2 fan

Got an M2 rewind crank from Tamarkin

and Love it. When I used the M2 with 36 exp film it took too long to rewind, problem solved with the rewind crank. It looks superb on the M2 in chrome.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Last edited by leica M2 fan : 04-25-2007 at 10:04.

Old 04-25-2007   #18
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I love rewind cranks -- and knob rewinds are tedious, particularly when they are small diameter like on the M3 and M2. I would definitely consider an accessory crank if it weren't too expensive, say $50-$60, and didn't mar the knurling on the knob. (I don't own an M4 or other Leica with the angled crank, but I like its distinctive look.)

If the crank could also fit the diameter of the Contax IIIa rewind knob that would be a very nice bonus. I haven't measured but it appears to be close to the size of the Ms. (I know, it wouldn't look great, but we're talking about practicality here.)

Does anyone know why rewind knobs persisted until the 1960s? I find it hard to believe the "technology" wasn't available, and the often-heard comment about avoiding building up static electricity seems like a very small risk.

Old 04-26-2007   #19
Magus

Post deleted by posters request

Old 04-26-2007   #20
khagler

I have the MP-Winder that was mentioned earlier on my MP. It's okay (and certainly much better than the overpriced Leica alternative), but I'd love to buy one of those nice big "Magnum type" levers made from brass.

I actually had one of the CameraQuest aluminum versions, and I loved it--for about two rolls, then it broke. I guess aluminum was too flimsy for that design.

Old 04-26-2007   #21
Benjamin Marks

Got this from Tamarkin for my M2. I like it. Probably a little spendy . . .

PHOTO EQUIP" RE-WIND FOR THE LEICA MP OR YOUR CLASSIC
LEICA M3 & M2 $119

http://www.tamarkin.com/catalog/prod...eicamaccs.html

Ben

Old 04-27-2007   #22
Ronald M

I would not put one on a camera if they were free.

Old 03-20-2008   #23
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Never would buy one. Leica got it right with the post and messed up when they went to that slanted thing in 1967.
Hey I just saw this thread pop up and these were my immediate thoughts. Good to see that even though I don't remember saying this, I have a consistent opinion.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-20-2008   #24
bob338

do any of us really need to change a roll of film in an ancient camera that quickly anyway?

i wanted to buy one of these things for the last few years. but every time i find the one i think i want, i change my mind because of the money and my doubts about really using it.

i have a rapid rewind crank for one of my stereo realists and have probably used it twice int he last 15 years. and realists are much more of a hassle to wind than leicas.

that being said, if i found a leica crank for $25 or less, i'd probably buy it!

just my .02

Old 03-20-2008   #25
Artorius
Caribbean Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob338 View Post
do any of us really need to change a roll of film in an ancient camera that quickly anyway?

i wanted to buy one of these things for the last few years. but every time i find the one i think i want, i change my mind because of the money and my doubts about really using it.

i have a rapid rewind crank for one of my stereo realists and have probably used it twice int he last 15 years. and realists are much more of a hassle to wind than leicas.

that being said, if i found a Leica crank for $25 or less, i'd probably buy it!

just my .02
For me it's a plus. The faster I can unload, in turn gives me more time to reload. Think of it as a trade off. With the M2, 3, for me , it just makes sense. As a paid photo/journalist, if I don't have 2 bodies, I need any advantage I can get.

-Respect-
Art

Old 03-20-2008   #26
Nokton48

If you have a look at my new avatar, you can see I have one on my M2. I like using it, it does speed-up reloading for me. I paid $75 for mine in the RF classifieds. So, if I do buy a second M2, I will probably look for another rewind add-on. And it looks cool on the M2 IMO.

Old 03-21-2008   #27
Chris101
summicronia

I've got an M4P, and it HAS the ideal crank already. However if I were stuck with one of those straight up knob things, I'd not want anything on it, but would learn to use it ... I guess.

Old 03-21-2008   #28
peterm1

I must admit I would be tempted. I cannot tell you how many times I have wound until my fingers were sore then thinking I had reached the end of the film roll, opened the camera back prematurely ruining some shots. For some reason, on my M3 at least, the winder stiffens at one point before the end of the film is reached and then subsequently becomes easier to wind - just as it does when you reach the end of a roll. Fools me 2 times out of three if I have not been shooting regularly. I figure this gadget would help as well as speeding up the operation.

Old 03-21-2008   #29
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast

You people who like the rewind post are nuts!
Are you telling everyone that you're happy with a S L O W rewinding system when there's a much faster system available as a simple add-on for less than $100?

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

Old 03-21-2008   #30
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I've got the GMP version on the MP3 and I love it. I found the original knob less annoying than I had thought it was going to be, but the crank is a lot easier for me.

Old 03-21-2008   #31
marke

I don't find the knob on my MP as annoying as I thought I would. I think the difference in speed when compared to the crank isn't as much as some people make it out to be, if you have your technique down. It hasn't been rough on my hands either. I have thought about getting one of the cranks, but would only use it if there was absoluetly no chance of it damaging my camera during use, even sloppy use!

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 03-21-2008   #32
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I have about 5-6 different rewind cranks for my M2/M3/MP's. They do speed up rewinding considerably. The Leica "original" one is too expensive and the spring loaded "knob" does slip out of your fingers to easily. The GMP one is good (it's on my MP) - looks like the Leica one, but no spring load.
The Wasserman is probably the quickest one as it has the longer "grip" on it. Several of my M2's have that one on them (Richard is a good friend and we have dismantled and fiddled with these over the years).
There is also a good Japanese made one - dont know the manufacturer, but you can find them in Tokyo for around $50-60.
"The "Magnum" crank is the slickest looking of them. I have one of the original and of Stephens on a couple of M2's. It would be posible to remake, but it is not a cheap job. Tricky to machine and the older version had a soldered fitting on it and that adds labor.
The slickest one is without a doubt the folding handle, stainless steel one made in N.Y. in the 60's. It is a jewel like contraption with a small lever that folds out and in doing so - pulls the lever out. It is held in place by three miniscule set screws. Only drawback is that you have no visual confirmation on film rotation as it covers the top.
I will see if I can put up a picture with the various ones - still dumbfounded about posting on RFf. Tuulikki knows though.

Old 03-21-2008   #33
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Old 03-21-2008   #34
cosmonot
uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝʞıɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post
You people who like the rewind post are nuts!
Are you telling everyone that you're happy with a S L O W rewinding system when there's a much faster system available as a simple add-on for less than $100?
But it's even faster to have a second body loaded and ready to go

Old 03-21-2008   #35
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonot View Post
But it's even faster to have a second body loaded and ready to go
Ok, so what about a second body with a rewind crank too - that is really fast!

I wouldn't bother w/ one....
Old 03-21-2008   #36
BigSteveG

I wouldn't bother w/ one....

They probably don't provide enough benefit to justify buying one. I'm quite happy w my MP/M2 rewind knobs. One of the reasons I got rid of my 1st M, an M6TTL, was due to the sh#$*y rewind crank.

Old 03-22-2008   #37
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

The knobs don't bother me. I use two M3's; I have two Wasserman rewind cranks, one of which is premanently jammed on one of my cameras. The other sits in a drawer unused.
The crank does speed up the rewind process, but I've noticed that when I rewind by grasping the knurled handle, the whole shaft rocks back and forth rather alarmingly. I worry that in time this might cause damage, so mostly I use the rewind grasping the base, like turning a wing nut. Using it this way is a bit more comfortable than rewinding with the knob as Leitz designed it, but it's not much faster- and anyway, I prefer the camera's ergonomics as it left the factory.

Most of the time I can find a good moment to change film when there's nothing I want to shoot- and using two bodies means one will alwys have film in it anyway. Anyone want to buy my other Wasserman crank?

Old 03-23-2008   #38
BillBlackwell

Why?

So you can save five or ten seconds rewinding your film? I must confess I have never understood these devices. If you're in that much of a hurry then a Leica M is probably not your camera of choice.

Old 03-29-2008   #39
mike kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
You guys know that you can rewind your M3/M2/MP very fast just by running the pad part of your hand over the rewind knob, right? There is no need to do the turn turn turn......

Patrick
i tried this with my m2, but the knob is to stiff when the camera is loaded... i'm only able to do this without a roll in it. is my camera's rewind knob stiffer than normal? it had a recent CLA.

Old 03-30-2008   #40
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kim View Post
i tried this with my m2, but the knob is to stiff when the camera is loaded... i'm only able to do this without a roll in it. is my camera's rewind knob stiffer than normal? it had a recent CLA.
Mike, I have a brand new (2 month) MP and the palm-roll method doesn't work for me either. Too stiff when there is film in the camera. I just roll it between my thumb and forefinger.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke