Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

Negative or color reversal film best for scanning to digital?
Old 09-16-2019   #1
awilder

Negative or color reversal film best for scanning to digital?

Having acquired a Leica IIIg, I'm tempted to keep it but I now only shoot digital as I stopped using film 10 yrs ago. I still have a Nikon scanner so am I better off using Kodak Ektra 100 or Fuji Velvia 100 to shoot color and then scan to digital? If I also shoot TMax 400, will this be superior to shooting B&W with my D850?

Old 09-16-2019   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Negative film has more latitude and lower contrast, is generally much easier to scan than color positives. The only issue is the same issue as when printing color negatives ... since the image is a negative, you don't have an original positive reference to gauge your color balance and density by. I never found this to be much of a problem, personally, but others differ with that opinion.

VueScan will give you an up to date scanning application compatible with your Nikon scanner (on Windows, macOS, and Linux) at a very reasonable price. NikonScan hasn't been supported or updated in centuries.

G

Old 09-16-2019   #3
awilder

Yes I got VueScan when my Nikon scanner didn't work with my current computer OS.

Old 09-16-2019   #4
awilder

What about using it to shoot B&W, superior to converting digital color from my D850 to B&W?

Old 11-28-2019   #5
Huss

You have a D850. A fantastic camera to scan film with. Use that and negativelabpro.com to convert.
Check the film scanning thread on the scanners forum.

Old 11-28-2019   #6
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
Having acquired a Leica IIIg, I'm tempted to keep it but I now only shoot digital as I stopped using film 10 yrs ago. I still have a Nikon scanner so am I better off using Kodak Ektra 100 or Fuji Velvia 100 to shoot color and then scan to digital? If I also shoot TMax 400, will this be superior to shooting B&W with my D850?
Ektar definately. Velvia 100 sometimes has a magenta cast when scanned which can be a pain.

Old 12-26-2019   #7
Ronald M

Neg film has much less contrast and you can HDR the same frame.

Kodachrome is a bit sharper.

Scanning options
Old 12-26-2019   #8
randy stewart

Scanning options

You have a D850. A fantastic camera to scan film with. Use that and negativelabpro.com to convert. Check the film scanning thread on the scanners forum.

If he has a dedicated Nikon film scanner, why in the world would he go to the trouble to jury-rig his DSLR as a copy camera to attempt the same job with lots of added hassle?