fenixv8

Fuji X monochrome camera

This looks pretty cool

http://www.fujirumors.com/monochrome...verted-maxmax/

http://www.maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras

http://www.maxmax.com/shopper/produc...sible-light-hr

Old 02-17-2017   #2
Steve M.

If you like gray and white vs black and white, then this is your camera.

Old 02-17-2017   #3
olakiril

The problem with this conversion is that together with the color filter array they strip the microlenses as well.
So what advantage you might get in efficiency by removing the filters, you loose by not using microlenses.
If it were a ~$200 conversion I could see myself sending in my LCDless X-Pro1, but $2.5K is just crazy.

Old 02-17-2017   #4
squirrel$$$bandit

All the maxmax links are now dead...

Old 02-17-2017   #5
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I downloaded the RAW files and found them to be either out of focus or perhaps motion blurred but either way it wasn't much of a sales pitch to me. The 2.5K was for a converted camera not the cost of converting your camera I hope. Seems to me to be a bit pricey.

Old 02-17-2017   #6
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
The links are fine. These guys also have Sony, Canon and Nikon monochrome cameras. All very pricey!
yes, they're back

Old 02-18-2017   #7
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by olakiril View Post
The problem with this conversion is that together with the color filter array they strip the microlenses as well.
So what advantage you might get in efficiency by removing the filters, you loose by not using microlenses.
If it were a ~$200 conversion I could see myself sending in my LCDless X-Pro1, but $2.5K is just crazy.
Do they? I see only the colour filter array and anti-aliasing layer being removed as part of the conversion. The removal of the microlens array is mentioned as part of their measuring the response of a Canon 30D's sensor, but not, as far as I can see, in the list of things changed when modifying a camera for real. Having said that I suppose it'd be a bugger to remove the microlens layer without damaging it, and then getting it aligned correctly afterwards; or getting hold of a replacement layer if it had to be removed destructively.

It's a pity that the camera can't output individual photosites as pixels after the conversion. The resolution increase that could have given might have offered some interesting capabilities.

Old 02-18-2017   #8
olakiril

Fuji should just create a filter-less version of their 24MP sensor and offer B&W versions out of all of their lines.
The rest is just a firmware change to disable xtrans interpolation and selective channel filtering.
They can make them slightly more expensive and still sell a lot since many Fuji users will probably get both versions.

And while they are at it, they should create MF versions of their lenses

Old 02-18-2017   #9
Mark A. Fisher

For my money, I'm happy just using the monochrome setting on my X100. Saved me $2,600...