Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Do you think a few films went through this one?
Old 05-19-2012   #1
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

Do you think a few films went through this one?

Wow! Now that 3.5F is well used. Look at the film roller. I wonder how many films it takes to brass a film roller?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-1966-...t_14415wt_1025

This is almost like Gary Winogrand's Leica...:

http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm
Mamiya Six, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord I, Ia, II, IIb, III, IV, Va&Vb

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T
http://www.archeophotography.com

Old 05-20-2012   #2
freecom2

That's amazing - but that's exactly how they should look like!

Old 05-20-2012   #3
Phothomas

I guess his grandfather had a lot of fun with it. And that´s what counts, isn´t it? It´s great if a camera tells so many storys simply by looking at it.

Thomas

Old 05-22-2012   #4
Acidic_Lemon

What are the chances that this will be still functional as a camera?

It definitely went through a good run and my final bet is it will be non functional and overly used. Anyway, I am extremely intrigued by this Rollei, regardless whether it is working or not. I bought it and it's travelling over to me.

On a separate note, I have asked the seller about rolleiflex accessories and hopefully he will get back to me on this. I know that some will think I am crazy but hey, there were offers for it before I BIN it.

My other Rolleis are "gentlemen in proper black suits" and this is "Tarzan on a field trip", rough and but still very, very attractive.

Old 05-22-2012   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidic_Lemon View Post
What are the chances that this will be still functional as a camera?

It definitely went through a good run and my final bet is it will be non functional and overly used. Anyway, I am extremely intrigued by this Rollei, regardless whether it is working or not. I bought it and it's travelling over to me.

On a separate note, I have asked the seller about rolleiflex accessories and hopefully he will get back to me on this. I know that some will think I am crazy but hey, there were offers for it before I BIN it.

My other Rolleis are "gentlemen in proper black suits" and this is "Tarzan on a field trip", rough and but still very, very attractive.

I can see why you bought it .... it has a lovely appearance and has a presence you don't normally see with TLR's!

I hope it does work actually ... that would be a fun camera to walk around with.

Old 05-22-2012   #6
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I can see why you bought it .... it has a lovely appearance and has a presence you don't normally see with TLR's!

I hope it does work actually ... that would be a fun camera to walk around with.
If it really works, I would totally feel:

The waiting game has just started and I was told to keep an eye out for it in my mail within 14-18 working days. My current plan is to just clean up the exterior with cotton buds, lens cloth and lens cleaner. I am skipping the brasso cleaner as it turned my Tessar metal face plate into a light yellow finishing.

Old 05-22-2012   #7
rolleistef

mind you! "does not work with a Rolleimarin" the ad says. Now you know!

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!

Old 05-22-2012   #8
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleistef View Post
mind you! "does not work with a Rolleimarin" the ad says. Now you know!
If it doesn't, it doesn't I am cool either way~ Think the whole chunk was copy and paste from the rollei-club website.

MY 3.5F model 2 doesn't work with a Rolleimarin too.

Old 05-22-2012   #9
Todd.Hanz

Wow, nice...

Todd

Old 05-22-2012   #10
f16sunshine

Nice find. I sure hope you get it up and running. Send it to one of the Rollei guys for a good rehab. It would be a shame if it sat around. Please update us on how this story ends

Old 05-22-2012   #11
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

I like it! It's got . . . character.

Old 05-22-2012   #12
Peter_Jones

Poor thing - it needs to be taken out and shot (with)

Old 05-22-2012   #13
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Hope it works and show some shOts once you have 'em!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 05-22-2012   #14
Benjamin Marks

The brown stuff on the roller reads as rust to me, not brassing. Still, Rolleis were handmade cameras that were designed to be taken apart, cleaned, adjusted and repaired. "Pro" gear when it was supposed to last you a decade or longer. Good luck with it -- in proper working order it will be a killer.... no go catch some photons.

Ben

Old 05-22-2012   #15
Pirate
Guitar playing Fotografer

He lists the Taking lens as a Xenotar, but it clearly says Planar on it.

Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

http://dudewithad700.deviantart.com/
http://arolloffilm.blogspot.com/
My Top 10(12) Best!

Old 05-22-2012   #16
Acidic_Lemon

Please feel free to add to my observations on the said Rollei's exterior:

- Light meter gone and definitely removed, knob seems to be from another model.
-Change of leather wear, it is a "hidden superman" (there is a logo below that leather and I know it) and leather pieces do not match. It's like as and when where is a tear or peel off, the owner stick back a new leather piece.
- As for the roller bit, I am hoping it is not rust as rust spreads and corrodes metal inside and outside. It looks vertically streaked and I am hoping that it is brassing than rusting.
- Slight chip/mark on viewing len
- Badly scratched up viewing screen
-The name/number plate has definitely been removed before. One of the screws looks slightly higher than the other.

My plan is simple and I have no expectations on this rollei working. If it viable to repair, (as in shutter works/speeds slow, film transportation abit rough), perhaps I will see who is willing to work on it. I get separation anxiety whenever I send the rollei out for CLA

Old 05-22-2012   #17
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecom2 View Post
That's amazing - but that's exactly how they should look like!

That camera has been treated the way most people treat their garden tools so I have to challenge that theory!

Old 05-22-2012   #18
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Sounds to me like it's about to land in a good pair of caring hands to be properly enjoyed through it's autumn years. Money well invested, I think. Good for you.

Old 05-22-2012   #19
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

I would not be surprised if it works perfectly. I bought quite a few clunkers on ebay and sometimes the worst looking ones work the best
It looks like the taking lens is in very nice shape, and that's what counts. I don't think it's rust on the roller, just look at the wear on the pressure plate. A loooooot of films went throught that one...

I bought a Nikon 15mm Superwide the other day that looks like a truck drove over it. The glass is perfect, and it takes fantastic photos.

Good luck with this awesome Rollei, and keep us posted

BTW: You are lucky that I just bought the Nikon 15mm and I don't have any cash. I was about a second away from buying this beauty before posting it here

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T

Old 05-22-2012   #20
Frank Petronio
-

I'd be concerned about the crack at the back door hinge. I bet the roller is brown from wear. It looks dirty but not that bad, I bet it fires and works... very slowly!

Old 05-23-2012   #21
Acidic_Lemon

Hahaha... I actually thought that it will be snatched up earlier. I had given myself a time lapse to think it through, then it was meant to be. I seen pending offers for it but I figured I have no idea what to offer and just wanted to save the mental stress.

I will keep an eye out on that crack on the back plate. If need be, I will use metal epoxy to fill it up.

Just to share plan outlines, I am thinking whether to change out the current camera leather or to hold out a CLA fund for this. Anyone with suggestions with any Rollei experts in Asia? I sent my others to Harry Fleenor and Mark Hansen. Both are great in their own right, just not keen to send this out too far away and wait 10-12 weeks. Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012   #22
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Version Two View Post
I'd be concerned about the crack at the back door hinge. I bet the roller is brown from wear. It looks dirty but not that bad, I bet it fires and works... very slowly!
... I thought it could be rust on that roller, which would be less good

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2012   #23
Brian Legge

I was really tempted to take a chance on that camera. I think the main reason I held back was uncertainty about the condition of the taking lens and shutter.

Still, almost went for it on the off chance it worked or was easily repairable as it could probably be sold as a parts camera for a similar price.

Old 05-23-2012   #24
Acidic_Lemon

True, it can go both ways. I didn't find anything much of a problem with the taking lens (just alot of grime). Shutter would be quite a headache if it's a goner. From the pictures it looks like it is at least not stuck midway and frozen. That's a bit of comforting thought.

If this doesn't need intensive repairs, I should be able to start a CLA fund for this. However if the problems outweigh the cost, then I am just happy to keep it as a ready-donor parts camera for my other 3.5F.

Old 05-23-2012   #25
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
Rust does not spread (neither does fungus). Rust is a condition, not an affliction to the entire piece of metal. Only affected parts that are prone to oxidization exhibit rust - otherwise they don't rust.
you're right with rust, but wrong with fungus.
Anyway, i too would not be surprised if it actually worked.
I would not mess around with new camera leather and such. It's never going to be a beauty queen in that pristine sense and it's also not the point.
Its beauty comes from the inside, lol

Old 05-24-2012   #26
Dana B.

Years ago, we used to call motorcycles in similar shape "rat bikes." Would this one be a rat Rollei? ;p

Old 05-24-2012   #27
Dan Daniel

Ratteflex.

Old 05-24-2012   #28
Acidic_Lemon

Well, guess it looks kinda bad externally however I am still not having any buyer's remorse. I thought getting medium grey snakeskin for it if a CLA doesn't work out or it is an "economically unviable repair".

It will never be pristine or mint but it can be snazzy and cool as a "Ratteflex" or "rat Rollei" model for my other cameras.

Old 05-24-2012   #29
Dana B.

I think it's fantastic as is. Please let us know if it works, and by all means, post some images.

Old 05-24-2012   #30
Dan Daniel

Agreed, that camera look great. Like stone steps with those soft depressions from decades of feet. That camera was used well and hard, it appears. Hopefully the tilted lens plate surround is just cosmetic.

Old 05-29-2012   #31
Acidic_Lemon

Just a quick update, the postman has delivered the camera parcel to my home. Too bad I am currently at work and have another 3 hours worth of meetings before I can go home and test it out. Will definitely update with pictures later.

*Update*
Rushed home and just got the camera out of the parcel.

Shutter works at different speeds (may not be as accurate), Aperture works somewhat (gets abit stuck on f.16), but after turning a few rounds and firing it got much better. The film transport is actually quite smooth (much smoothier than my other 3.5F when I first got it). Focusing is fine but view screen is really very dim and scratched up. Viewing lens is abit scratched but taking lens looks good. Will need to take pics with it first before my final verdict. I examined at the crack of the back, it is potentially a light leak, will use metal putty to seal it up. Self timer doesn't work.

No rust

Overall alot of grim/dirt but the mechanism still works.

Here's another pic of it. I just cleaned the lens and the camera body up. I also revealled the logo underneath the leatherette on the viewfinder.

Old 05-29-2012   #32
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

I bet it will come right back to life when you take a few photos. Overall you got a good deal for $299. I would say it doesn't need much to make it nice(r). Now you have to decide if you leave it the way it is with a lot of (unknown) history attached to it, or if you like to restore it.

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T

Old 05-30-2012   #33
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeophoto View Post
I bet it will come right back to life when you take a few photos. Overall you got a good deal for $299. I would say it doesn't need much to make it nice(r). Now you have to decide if you leave it the way it is with a lot of (unknown) history attached to it, or if you like to restore it.
Yep, I considered it a good deal and I won't want to put too much monies on it until it breaks down or get sluggish. All I did was to clean off the sticky grime, seal up the potential light leak crack on the back and reveal the logo. Loaded the 1st roll and will be able to determine what else is wrong with it. The metal bit pole holding the crank might need to be put back so I don't put too much strain on it when I wind it. Any suggestions how to go about doing this? It looks stubbornly stuck.

I don't think this needs much restoration as it seems that the previous owner gave it TLC and I am attracted its current devil-may-care look. Makes my other 3.5F looks prissy I must say.

Old 05-30-2012   #34
Dan Daniel

A pair of small slip joint pliers can be used to push such pins flush. One end on the pin, the other on the opposite side of the crank handle.
http://www.oregoncaliforniasupply.co...T_20PLIER1.jpg
Set to the wider opening. Given the age and such, I'd put some thin oil at each opening and let it soak for a bit before pushing. The pins are actually quite strong.

Old 05-30-2012   #35
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
A pair of small slip joint pliers can be used to push such pins flush. One end on the pin, the other on the opposite side of the crank handle.
http://www.oregoncaliforniasupply.co...T_20PLIER1.jpg
Set to the wider opening. Given the age and such, I'd put some thin oil at each opening and let it soak for a bit before pushing. The pins are actually quite strong.
I failed terribly to push it flush (almost injured myself) so best to leave it loose as it is until I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Old 05-30-2012   #36
easyrider
Photo addict

Did you really pay $299 for it or is this thread a joke? At any Toronto camera show you can see Rolleis in better shape and for a better price.

I have a 3.5 Automat MX that I would sell you for $299! ) I have owned it since the 1950s. Doesn't get used much.
You can look at it here:
http://torontophotog.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Rolleiflex/20531277_LJdqRg#!i=1626150647&k=Fv5bhXM

Old 05-31-2012   #37
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Did you really pay $299 for it or is this thread a joke? At any Toronto camera show you can see Rolleis in better shape and for a better price.

I have a 3.5 Automat MX that I would sell you for $299! ) I have owned it since the 1950s. Doesn't get used much.
You can look at it here:
http://torontophotog.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Rolleiflex/20531277_LJdqRg#!i=1626150647&k=Fv5bhXM
Yeah, I leave it up to you to take it as a joke. There will always be people like you and people like me. We can agree to disagree.

Even if it didn't work, I am happy to bling it up with thousands of swaroski crystals and still be happy it being a USD299 sparkling table ornament.

You no touch my happiness level

Thanks for the head's up on the Automat MX. Classifieds, perhaps?

Old 05-31-2012   #38
Mudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post

You can look at it here:
The Planars go for quite a bit more than the Tessar Flex's. Beautiful MX though.

Old 06-02-2012   #39
Acidic_Lemon

1st test roll of film from the same 3.5F.

The rest are on my flickr.

Old 06-02-2012   #40
sreed2006

I like photographing old cars with an old camera.

How well did the camera function while in use? Are you going to put more rolls through it?

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"