Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: If your camera bag doesn't look like a camera bag, it looks like...
... a man purse. 18 9.14%
... a "European shoulder bag." 79 40.10%
... a fanny pack (or codpiece). 6 3.05%
... the bag that homeless-smelling bike messenger carries. 70 35.53%
... a diaper bag. 24 12.18%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

wow
Old 01-28-2011   #41
ampguy

wow

looks cool, and ~$30 for a made in USA bag, unbelievable.

However practical, it just screams gun or camera inside though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alowisney View Post
I've started using the Leaper's copy of that bag. It's big enough to hold my Fed 2 and GSN or one of those and my TLR in the main compartment and I just stash film rolls in all the other pockets. I just need to pick up an insert or two.

I had to cut off all the zipper pulls and replace them with para cord because I couldn't stand all the jingling when I walked. I think the Versapack comes that way.

Old 01-28-2011   #42
newspaperguy

Count me in with the COOL crowd... I stash my backup gear in a hard-sided cooler in the trunk, or in the back of my pickup, and have a softside or sandwich cooler up front, with my camera de jour.

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Last edited by Doug : 01-28-2011 at 17:29. Reason: Off-topic deletion

Old 01-28-2011   #43
Tipton
Tipton Photo

None of the above. Mine's a Filson field bag:

http://www.filson.com/products/field...taProduct=1019
Once they start getting nice and dirty and broken in, so nice!

Tenba digital insert from BH fits it like a glove, like it was made for it. 2 M's with lenses, ton of film, extra glass, other misc. things.

Old 01-28-2011   #44
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Mine's a brown leather briefcase/backpack/shoulder bag. Holds just enough. When it comes to hailing stuff, I'm like the guy that goes to an all you can eat for $1.00 . .. and orders $2.00 worth. My bag makes me carry ONLY what I need .My shoulders ache from too much "What if I need. .. ..."

Old 01-28-2011   #45
John Lawrence

My Billingham Hadley looks (as most Billinghams do) like a fishing bag.

Probably because that's what it was based on.

John

Last edited by John Lawrence : 01-28-2011 at 10:54.

Old 01-28-2011   #46
regularchickens

My Domke J-803 with a few years' dirt and wear comes with me everywhere. If I can't fit everything I need into it (sans a tripod for a flash stand), I'm carrying too much gear. It's so inconspicuous that people here in the city can't help but bump into it every time they step around me.

I look at Artisan & Artist bags every so often in the same way I look at current Leica lenses: nice, but I'm really not that kind of guy, and I don't need to be so flamboyant.

Old 01-28-2011   #47
gb hill

Nothing impressive at all about my dusty, old, black Tamrac sholder bag I bought for $8. It looks like a camera bag.

Old 01-28-2011   #48
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
My two bags are both Tenba 995s from a previous century. The grey-green one I bought new about twenty years ago has lost it's shape and now resembles a very large lump of putrid meat. The other, a black one which I found used a couple of years ago and had to re-build is covered with so much cat fur that it seems to be a large mammal suspended on a strap.
I'm a non-trendy Luddite so I really don't worry about keeping up with trends or fashion with respect to my gear. They did the job when I bought them and they still do, so I've never bothered to replace them with the new "cool" bags that don't look like camera bags.

Old 01-28-2011   #49
Pablito
coco frío

What does "homeless-smelling" mean?

Old 01-28-2011   #50
Pablito
coco frío

<--- homeless-smelling and proud of it.

Old 01-28-2011   #51
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
That's awesome man. Do you have the economy 4.3l engine @ 9 MPG, or did you go for the 5.7l engine for a little more kick?
Where did you get that bogus info from? 95 Caprice was rated for 26hwy/18city. I have a 95 Bonneville SSE with the 3.8L that gets 25 miles to the gallon. (calculated by the wife) Not all of us care to drive a crackerbox so our tripods hang out the side window.

Last edited by Doug : 01-28-2011 at 17:31. Reason: edit quote

Al Kaplan style
Old 01-28-2011   #52
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Al Kaplan style

I went Al Kaplan style and bought a Swedish gas mask bag that I dump my gear into. It easily holds two Leica bodies (one lens connected) and a spare lens, as well as a large cloth and some boxes of film. Lightmeter in the pocket and I'm ready to roll.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-28-2011   #53
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
I went Al Kaplan style and bought a Swedish gas mask bag that I dump my gear into.
Anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Fre...ml?affid=20491

John

Old 01-28-2011   #54
FPjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Where did you get that bogus info from? 95 Caprice was rated for 26hwy/18city. I have a 95 Bonneville SSE with the 3.8L that gets 25 miles to the gallon. (calculated by the wife) Not all of us care to drive a crackerbox so our tripods hang out the side window.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/3...wiss-case.html

~72mpg.

yours
FPJ

whoops
Old 01-28-2011   #55
ampguy

whoops

I was looking at the l/100km rating. sorry. 25mpg is pretty good for a big American v8 - hwy, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post

Old 01-28-2011   #56
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post

John
To suggest bags like that is heresy here

Seriously, I'm pretty sure your gear will be fine in it. From Al I learned that you dump film containers on the bottom, a hand ful. Next put one body in, toss a towel or a shirt on that, put in a lens in lens bag, and on top of that the other body with lens attached.
I leave the flap loose and the neck strap from the top body hanging out to the front. I carry the bag on the hip with my hand on it or on the front, never on the back since I cannot get to the camera quickly but somebody else can.

And yes the bodies will get scrapes and dents over time, but Jim Marshalls M4 with lens and Leicavit never got to look the way it did being babied and pampered, and it still worked fine.

I carry a BP M3 and a brassed M2 in it like that and let somebody else worry about resale value.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-28-2011   #57
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
To suggest bags like that is heresy here

Seriously, I'm pretty sure your gear will be fine in it. From Al I learned that you dump film containers on the bottom, a hand ful. Next put one body in, toss a towel or a shirt on that, put in a lens in lens bag, and on top of that the other body with lens attached.
I leave the flap loose and the neck strap from the top body hanging out to the front. I carry the bag on the hip with my hand on it or on the front, never on the back since I cannot get to the camera quickly but somebody else can.

And yes the bodies will get scrapes and dents over time, but Jim Marshalls M4 with lens and Leicavit never got to look the way it did being babied and pampered, and it still worked fine.

I carry a BP M3 and a brassed M2 in it like that and let somebody else worry about resale value.
What intrigues me about it is that it looks like it could take a Hadley or Domke insert and I wondered if anyone had gone down that road.

John

Old 01-28-2011   #58
wlewisiii

My "camera bag" is a Jumbo EDC bag from Maxpedition. I have used bags like the one you suggest, John, but found this superior. I use a couple of small towels for padding.

It's a combiniation of man purse, messenger bag and military rucksack Space for a 32oz bottle of water is nice, too, when out walkabout. Comfortable even when weighted down with all the stuff I carry every day (~15 lbs).

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...&idcategory=59 for more information.

William

Old 01-28-2011   #59
back alley
IMAGES

ted...

Rule No. 2 - No "Trolling"
2) You will not post any topic that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum.

you are getting very close to the line here...
joe

Old 01-28-2011   #60
bean_counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post

John
No, but I use something similar - a reproduction US civil war era Union officers' private purchase haversack. similar in shape to the above, maybe a bit bigger. Black, painted canvas (functionally waterproof), leather strap rivetted to the reinforced canvas. I put a modified Domke insert in it. room for my M, meter, two extra lenses, film. nice vacation walking around bag.

the painted canvas gets a nice, used grunge look after a while. only a couple of fellow re-enactors have called me out on it

(edits for poor typing skills and general dyslexia)

Last edited by bean_counter : 01-28-2011 at 12:19.

Old 01-28-2011   #61
Brian Sweeney

The Nikon FB-14 looked like a purse, or over the shoulder carry-all. I never had one.

Most of my Nikon Field Cases look like camera bags. They say "Nikon".

The Leather Nikon F "Clamshell Case" is the closest that comes to looking like "not a camera bag". It has a Giant "F" embossed in the leather. The others, FB-3, FB-4, FB-5, FB-9, FB-11, FB-16, look like camera bags. But the name sounds like some sort of military aircraft.

I end up with a Nikon camera bag that has the Nikon emblem on it. I use it to carry the M8 and 4 or so Leica lenses. It's convenient, fast access.

I keep the M8 in a Nikon CS-9.

Last edited by Brian Sweeney : 01-28-2011 at 13:23.

Old 01-28-2011   #62
lilmsmaggie

Given the available options, I couldn't cast a vote since none of the options applied accept for the case I have for my Canon PowerShot S90 which could be construed as a man purse. My 35 mm gear goes caseless, while my 4 x 5 gear bag looks more like a backpack:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41ZkwYUugyL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (12.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by lilmsmaggie : 01-28-2011 at 13:34.

Old 01-28-2011   #63
bensyverson

Man purse OR European shoulder bag? We are really splitting hairs here, are we not?

I carry an extremely nondescript messenger bag:

Old 01-28-2011   #64
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Well, I've considered http://www.goldenbeartoys.com/produc...g,338,117.aspx - but so far, reason has won out.

Old 01-28-2011   #65
lilmsmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
Man purse OR European shoulder bag? We are really splitting hairs here, are we not?

I carry an extremely nondescript messenger bag:
I think here in the states, particularly which coast you happen to reside on, or in your case, the Midwest, the term has a tendency to take on a certain colloquialism.

In the 2009 comedy: "The Hangover," set in Las Vegas, there is a scene where the friends are waiting for the elevator and one of the characters is accused of wearing a "Man Purse," while the guy that has it, refers to it as a "Man Satchel."

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuygRWVwuUI

Last edited by lilmsmaggie : 01-28-2011 at 14:20.

Old 01-28-2011   #66
jwnash1

The way I see it is if I have my camera concealed in a bag artfully contrived to not look like a camera bag, by the time I get the camera out, I have missed my shot. If I have a camera strap hanging from my neck or wrist, which is most of the time, any bag I carry/wear will be seen as a camera bag, so why worry.
John

Old 01-28-2011   #67
bensyverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
I think here in the states, particularly which coast you happen to reside on, or in your case, the Midwest, the term has a tendency to take on a certain colloquialism.
I'm just sayin'—whether you call it a man purse, a messenger bag, or a "European shoulder bag," it's all the same thing!

And of course, the bag is where you keep your alternate camera. Your main camera is hopefully already in your hands.

Old 01-28-2011   #68
shashinka-ichiban
写真家 一番

7 Domke bags, but only for my SLRs. Then I have this one ALICE pack, and an old LL Bean shoulder day pack for rangefinder, and smaller cameras. I like that one cause it looks like something a college kid would carry a book in between class and a Starbucks. (Neither college books or coffee, can I afford)

Old 01-28-2011   #69
nksdks

Quote:
Any real Europeans want to elaborate?

I was watching "The American" a while back, and was surprised that Clooney selected a Samsonite briefcase for his project. Product placement??
Not sure if you mean it, but of course it is. There are no accidental brand appearances in films nowadays.

I use a Think Tank UD bag, which I now realize is rather uncool
It does not shout "cameras in here.. steal me", but I think it does shout "laptop in here.. steal me".
Not good for dodgy places, but a fine bag nonetheless.

Old 01-28-2011   #70
JeffGreene
(@)^(@)

My bag since 2003 and going strong

http://e-photobooks.com/cartier-bres...ve-moment.html

(Sony RX1) (Epson RD1) (Leica M6, M4-P, M2) (Rolleiflex 2.8F, MX-EVS)

Old 01-28-2011   #71
Glenn2

I hate camera bags, and over the years I've owned quite a few. My favorite was a war surplus gas mask bag that looked like something a hippie would use to carry dirty shorts. During the seventies I traveled extensively in Asia, usually staying in no star low end places. Thought it best to not carry anything too flashy drawing attention to the Leicas.

Here's a W.T. Duck cartoon that the gang might get a chuckle from....http://www.whattheduck.net/strip/553

Glenn @;-)

Old 01-28-2011   #72
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

I ve too many camera bags.. an essentialy a camera bag is where I have a camera...
Like the Think Thanks or even the Nikon SB-9 or the big and heavy leather bags for the Hassy's.. I could never find the perfect bag for all the situations.... hence the research on more and more bags keeps going on...
sometimes even a simple Camel (african copy) bag with Billingham inserts will do...
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 01-28-2011   #73
gekopaca
French photographer

When I'm shooting dtreet-photo I try to not have any bag - only the camera under my jacket, 1 or two sup. batteries and sometimes another lens in my pocket.
A lot of places where I'm shooting are dangerous for a man with a big photo bag…

When I use a bag, this is my favorite :

I use an insert in : (sorry for the size of the advertising!)

Old 01-29-2011   #74
robklurfield
eclipse

"Why is that fat guy with the long white beard carrying a purse?" That would be me with a Crumpler. It must elicit even more laughs as I grind my pedals climbing hills on my bike. "Mommy, look at that funny fat man in tights on a bike with a purse." The bag works, so I don't care. Laughing is good for the soul.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 01-29-2011   #75
Matus

My camera bag indeed looks like a messenger bag - because it is one

I got the bag from Courierware.com . The only padding (removable and replaceable) it has is a thin one at the bottom. I do tend to keep the lenses (for Mamiya 6) in a small neoprene pouches and the camera itself with one lens mounted goes inside a stretchable neoprene pouch too. Takes less space than a dedicated padded insert what I prefer.

I really like that the bag looks "cheap" even though it is very well done.

The bag:

Interior (though I do not carry the Mamiya in the pocket, but in the middle)

More photos HERE

Detailed review of mine HERE

If I were to get a bag to carry a serious (read: heavy & expensive) DSLR stuff I need to access fast I would probably go with ThinkTank. But as I am just an amateur shooting old film cameras I do not have to
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-29-2011   #76
sacundim

I have one of the Crumplers with the silencer flaps. The silencers was literally the second thing I adjusted in that bag when I got it, after the strap. Damn that velcro is annoying.

Lately I've been using a Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR sling, which is pretty good except for the fact that it slings over the wrong damn side of my back. Since I put my camera strap over my left shoulder and under my right arm, the bag and camera strap interfere with each other all the time.

Old 01-29-2011   #77
lxmike
Barnack fan

a messenger style bag by lowepro

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: Lomo LC-A

Old 01-29-2011   #78
ErnestoJL

I have two:
An original Zeiss Ikon (Omnica) made for the postwar Contax series.
A regular brown and worn plastic tool box where usually a Contax II and a kiev 4 reside with some russian and Zeiss lenses as well as other accesories. I call this one the plumber box, which BTW makes it almost invisible as a camera bag.
For daily use I have a cheap fabric shoulder bag where at least one 35RF can go.
Cheers
Ernesto

Old 01-29-2011   #79
zerobuttons

Quote:
Any real Europeans want to elaborate?

I was watching "The American" a while back, and was surprised that Clooney selected a Samsonite briefcase for his project. Product placement??
Here is a contender for the title:
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/produc..._dc/index.html
Before you ask: SAB do not have sales.......ever.....

Just for those who do not get my point: I find the term "European shoulder bag" silly.

Old 01-29-2011   #80
zerobuttons

Recently I´ve been considering this for situations where a backpack would be nice:
http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-eq...gs/Kanken-Mini
I would probably put lining from a small Lowepro or Billingham in it, or try to find some third-party cushioning.