Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: If your camera bag doesn't look like a camera bag, it looks like...
... a man purse. 18 9.14%
... a "European shoulder bag." 79 40.10%
... a fanny pack (or codpiece). 6 3.05%
... the bag that homeless-smelling bike messenger carries. 70 35.53%
... a diaper bag. 24 12.18%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

If your camera bag doesn't look like a camera bag, what does it look like?
Old 01-27-2011   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

If your camera bag doesn't look like a camera bag, what does it look like?

I'm a little curious. If every bag tries not to look like a camera bag, then doesn't that make everything look like a camera bag?

Old 01-27-2011   #2
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

And I will adjoin this question - at what point for you does the importance of "not looking like a camera bag" override the function of a camera bag? Most "non-camera-bag-looking" bags have other, serious dysfunctions.
  • Some are noisy (like Crumplers);
  • Some look like other kinds of theft targets (c.f. the Tenbas that look like laptop cases);
  • Some have strange reach-in angles or inconvenient access (LowePro Classified, Kata, any flap-over messenger-style case, some newer Tamracs);
  • Some are utterly dysfunctional unless your travel pattern is hike, stop for a long time and set the bag on the ground, carefully open it, reverse, repeat (backpack bags);
  • Some seriously accelerate abrasion wear and banging around (Domke); and
  • Some look like you stole your bag from a 13-year-old schoolgirl (Kipling).
And ironically, some functional bag substitutes are actually not supposed to be camera bags at all. Like when in Salvador, Brazil - where I threw my Fuji GA into a vinyl beach bag that came for free with a bottle of sunscreen....

Old 01-27-2011   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

None of the above. I have several bags that look just like camera bags and one (Domke F-803) that looks like the bags that a lot of businessmen carry instead of briefcases these days.

Old 01-27-2011   #4
Film dino
David Chong

Mine is a British army S10 respirator haversack http://cgi.ebay.com/British-Army-S10...item255f944e0a

Old 01-27-2011   #5
maddoc
... likes film.

"any flap-over messenger-style case"

I use only these ... the flap-over type provides a little protection against drizzle / spilled drinks and in Japan every student carries one so it does not necessarily stick out from the crowd.

About specifically designed camera-bags, I have yet to find one with a long enough strap ...

flickr
pBase

Old 01-27-2011   #6
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

Mine looks like a camera bag and I don't have any real problems with that.

Old 01-27-2011   #7
back alley
IMAGES

i use domkes for the most part.
nothing bangs around and the plastic zipper has never scratched a thing going in or out.

i use a really cheap messenger express when i want my ipad to travel with me.

Old 01-27-2011   #8
kxl
Social Documentary

Mine... not because it doesn't look like a camera bag, but because I just happen to like it. Works great with Domke inserts.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

hmmm
Old 01-27-2011   #9
ampguy

hmmm

Yeah, if Japanese school kids use them, they must be good for camera bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
"any flap-over messenger-style case"

I use only these ... the flap-over type provides a little protection against drizzle / spilled drinks and in Japan every student carries one so it does not necessarily stick out from the crowd.

About specifically designed camera-bags, I have yet to find one with a long enough strap ...

Old 01-27-2011   #10
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

This is the bag I use for the Mamiya m645...It holds my film, meter, five lenses, filters and a few other important items...
pf

Old 01-27-2011   #11
maddoc
... likes film.

I wrote "student" not "school kids" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post

flickr
pBase

Old 01-27-2011   #12
jonmanjiro

Quote:

テッドさんは本当の日本人じゃなくて、なんちゃって日本人だね(笑)。 It's pretty clear to me what maddoc meant, and he certainly didn't mean those rucksacks 

Last edited by jonmanjiro : 01-27-2011 at 23:13.

Old 01-27-2011   #13
ampguy

ah sou desu ka, naruhodo nee, omoshiroiikata ... gomenasaii, moshiwaki arimasen deshiita...

Old 01-28-2011   #14
ampguy

here is a touching story about anonymously donated randoseru to orphans in Japan.

http://afufu.net/freewill/tiger-mask...on-phenomenon/

It is interesting that Japanese kids are started off with ~USD $300 backpacks that they use for 6 years, while in America, the kids use $30 Jansport lead-laden Chinese backpacks, and replace them every year ... The Hondas and Toyota cars I've had lasted many years, but the Fords and Chevy's friends of mine have owned sometimes last just a year or two...

Old 01-28-2011   #15
deirdre

Quote:

Now I'm going to have a Randoseru fixation until I have a purple one.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011   #16
funkpilz

My Domke looks like a camera bag to anyone who has owned a camera. To anyone else, it looks like something a hobo would wear. Goes well with my camera, which looks like a hobo threw up on it.

Old 01-28-2011   #17
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Mine is a Crumpler bag. Only photographers seem to know it's a camera bag, and others think it's my "man purse" (and it is very good for carrying various essential things).

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-28-2011   #18
skibeerr

Green Hadly Large Billingham bag. It's my everyday walkaround bag with or without a camera. Holds everything I need.

W

well
Old 01-28-2011   #19
ampguy

well

they are expensive, and I don't know about purple, standard issue is red or black. Watch out for henna gaijin trying to rip it off for a camera bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdre View Post
Now I'm going to have a Randoseru fixation until I have a purple one.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011   #20
Lss

What is a "European shoulder bag"? I think my bags must fall into that category. Typically I use a gas mask bag or some other military surplus.

Old 01-28-2011   #21
Frank Petronio
-

I use neoprene wraps and Zip-locs for accessories and stash things in backpacks, jackets, carry-alls, and what-not. From point and shoots to 8x10. For an airline carry-on I use a black $39 EMS daypack-bookbag w laptop sleeve and standard doo-hickeys. It is small enough to store under the seat and gets out of the way. I can carry a dslr and 4x5 Crown Graphic, accessories, and a 15" laptop.

Out shooting I put gadgets in my pockets and perambulate normally. Large format camera on a tripod over my shoulder and filmholders tucked in pants like a Glock or in the daypack.

I've owned 4x Think Tank, Domkes (all of them?), Lowe-Pro, Tenba, Lightware, Crumpler, etc. but I doubt I ever will again. I do carry my lighting gear and tripod in a Tenba sling style bag and when flying I'll check the same gear in a padded Lightware cargo case.

The only way I'd go back to "camera cases" is if I had to do a lot of corporate travel with expensive gear, and then I'd just use Think Tank backpacks and Lightware checked cases.

Old 01-28-2011   #22
skibeerr

My codpiece sits rather high me thinks.

[IMG]
KICX1145 by wim_b, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2011   #23
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
here is a touching story about anonymously donated randoseru to orphans in Japan.

http://afufu.net/freewill/tiger-mask...on-phenomenon/

It is interesting that Japanese kids are started off with ~USD $300 backpacks that they use for 6 years, while in America, the kids use $30 Jansport lead-laden Chinese backpacks, and replace them every year ... The Hondas and Toyota cars I've had lasted many years, but the Fords and Chevy's friends of mine have owned sometimes last just a year or two...
If a Ford or Chevy (or any car from any manufacturer today) lasts a year or two, its because the owner is a drooling idiot who drove it 100,000 miles that first year and never changed the oil.

I have a 1995 Chevy Caprice that my grandfather bought new and gave to me after he paid it off and replaced it with a newer car. It was built in 1994 and now has 210,000 miles and runs beautifully to this day. Grandpa took good care of it, and I have too in all the years I have had it. It has taken me all over the country in desert heat and midwestern winters and has never once broken down on the road. Granted, it is a somewhat expensive car by Chevrolet standards; grandpa paid $29,000 for it 15 years ago, so maybe cheaper Chevy's are not as good. But still, anyone who has a new car of any make die after a year is someone who did not maintain it and abused it. I've known way to many people with those 'reliable' Japanese cars who had to replace transmissions right after the warranty expired at $3000 for the repair. Never seen that happen on an American car that wasn't old and well driven.

Old 01-28-2011   #24
skibeerr

Yes for a lot of people their car is their camera bag.

W

Old 01-28-2011   #25
Spyro

My bag is not meant for cameras or laptops but I've been shoving both in there for years, along with keys, smokes etc. Its a simple hand made soft leather bag with a long and wide strap and no compartments. My wife bought it for me at a flea market in Tasmania.

Old 01-28-2011   #26
ibraz

Mine is just an old dirty beaten up Domke, it doesn't really have a shape anymore, add 2 weeks without shaving, a pair of "used to be blue" converses, jeans, a "used to be white" jacket", a ltiitle bit of gaffer on the gear and you"re ready to shoot unnoticed in most of the scary places in north africa

Old 01-28-2011   #27
surfer dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
My Domke looks like a camera bag to anyone who has owned a camera. To anyone else, it looks like something a hobo would wear. Goes well with my camera, which looks like a hobo threw up on it.
LOL! Now I wanna see a picture of your gear!

Old 01-28-2011   #28
gerikson

My favourite bag is an old Sony projector case. It's small, discrete and doesn't have excessive padding.

Old 01-28-2011   #29
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

It's actually part of an old comedy act:

Elaine: You know what? We sell this thing at Peterman that would be perfect for you.

Jerry: Not more of that crap from the Titanic?

Elaine: No. No. It's a small men's carryall.

Jerry: I'm not carrying a purse.

Elaine: It's not a purse. It's European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
What is a "European shoulder bag"? I think my bags must fall into that category. Typically I use a gas mask bag or some other military surplus.

Old 01-28-2011   #30
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

None of the above.
I use a versipack by Maxpedition. It's more of a military-style tactical bag. I add a domke insert.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...SIPACK-4p6.htm

Very rugged. Very comfortable to carry. Lots of pockets.
Not the roomiest thing, but it easily holds an M8 and thee lenses in the main compartment. The side pouches and zippered compartments carry memory cards, batteries, a bottle of water, etc. etc.

Old 01-28-2011   #31
benlees

I guess it doesn't matter even a little bit if you also have a tripod. Though I suppose the tripod could be concealed in some sort of Japanese accoutrement!

ice chest
Old 01-28-2011   #32
divewizard
perspicaz

ice chest

I generally transport my cameras in old beat-up looking ice chests. I fave a very small Igloo I carry my GW690, and extra rolls of film in. I looks more like yesterday's lunch than a camera case, so if I have to leave it in my truck I'm not that worried someone will break-in to steal it. The fact that the ice chest is hard also offers some true protection to the camera. I typically wrap the camera in a micofiber towel for padding.

Chris Grossman
diver.net
GoberianBlue.com

Last edited by divewizard : 05-14-2011 at 23:28.

Old 01-28-2011   #33
bolohead
Joel Cosseboom

I use whatever is convenient at the time. I've used all of the above except a man purse. A bag is only purse if you carry your wallet inside.

My Flickr
My RFF Gallery

Old 01-28-2011   #34
MCTuomey

I voted diaper bag because I do use one with an insert, among several other bags that do mostly resemble messenger bags, just downsized.

The diaper bag will have to be replaced shortly because it's worn and starting to make me nervous that it might tear or rip.

My Flickr

Last edited by MCTuomey : 01-28-2011 at 09:04.

wow
Old 01-28-2011   #35
ampguy

wow

That's awesome man. Do you have the economy 4.3l engine @ 9 MPG, or did you go for the 5.7l engine for a little more kick, at the expense of air quality, and wars for natural resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
If a Ford or Chevy (or any car from any manufacturer today) lasts a year or two, its because the owner is a drooling idiot who drove it 100,000 miles that first year and never changed the oil.

I have a 1995 Chevy Caprice that my grandfather bought new and gave to me after he paid it off and replaced it with a newer car. It was built in 1994 and now has 210,000 miles and runs beautifully to this day. Grandpa took good care of it, and I have too in all the years I have had it. It has taken me all over the country in desert heat and midwestern winters and has never once broken down on the road. Granted, it is a somewhat expensive car by Chevrolet standards; grandpa paid $29,000 for it 15 years ago, so maybe cheaper Chevy's are not as good. But still, anyone who has a new car of any make die after a year is someone who did not maintain it and abused it. I've known way to many people with those 'reliable' Japanese cars who had to replace transmissions right after the warranty expired at $3000 for the repair. Never seen that happen on an American car that wasn't old and well driven.

wondering about this too
Old 01-28-2011   #36
ampguy

wondering about this too

Any real Europeans want to elaborate?

I was watching "The American" a while back, and was surprised that Clooney selected a Samsonite briefcase for his project. Product placement??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post

Old 01-28-2011   #37
FPjohn

My bags look like insulated lunch bags. Thermos is the brand leader for those who need the bespoke item.

yours
FPJ

Old 01-28-2011   #38
Leica All Day

I currently use Domke bags..and I would say that my bags look like "well used camera bags"...then again, whenever I decide to pack up my gear and use a bag, my camera is usually already out in my hands or hanging off one of my shoulders, therefore I assume that people just look at the (well used bag) hanging off of my shoulder and think that it is a "camera bag"....

that said, I once used a yellow plastic shopping bag from a popular Italian supermarket chain (Essalunga) to carry around my Hasselblad in a sketchy area of Napoli (Forcella) while i was photographing the neighborhood..

cheers, michael

domkerff.jpg domkerff1.jpg

Old 01-28-2011   #39
Alowisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarker13 View Post
None of the above.
I use a versipack by Maxpedition. It's more of a military-style tactical bag. I add a domke insert.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...SIPACK-4p6.htm

Very rugged. Very comfortable to carry. Lots of pockets.
Not the roomiest thing, but it easily holds an M8 and thee lenses in the main compartment. The side pouches and zippered compartments carry memory cards, batteries, a bottle of water, etc. etc.
I've started using the Leaper's copy of that bag. It's big enough to hold my Fed 2 and GSN or one of those and my TLR in the main compartment and I just stash film rolls in all the other pockets. I just need to pick up an insert or two.

I had to cut off all the zipper pulls and replace them with para cord because I couldn't stand all the jingling when I walked. I think the Versapack comes that way.
My Flickr
My RFF Gallery

Last edited by Alowisney : 01-28-2011 at 09:54.

Old 01-28-2011   #40
porktaco

here are the two that i use

though without the stupid waistband

and

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/