Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

love for the Minolta Autocord
Old 01-08-2020   #1
JSteed#2

love for the Minolta Autocord

The camera feels almost like a Rollei (so close that the difference is inconsequential), and its lens invites competition with any Tessar. This is not a knock on the superb Rollei 3.5's, it is merely my satisfaction with my new Autocord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000083970001autocord (2).jpg (22.9 KB, 38 views)

Old 01-08-2020   #2
GLAUMAX

I fully agree.
This is a wonderful camera.
Sold my Rolleiflex 2.8 GX and kept the Minolta Autocord.

If find that it is easier and faster to focus with the Minolta.
The lens quality is almost on par with the Rolleiflex.

Old 01-08-2020   #3
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Never had one (I had an Ikoflex Ic) but it is well documented how good camera it is. The only critisism is the focusing knob which tends to break ( and here how to repair it: https://fredmath.wixsite.com/minolta...en/focus-lever).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-09-2020   #4
GLAUMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Never had one (I had an Ikoflex Ic) but it is well documented how good camera it is. The only critisism is the focusing knob which tends to break ( and here how to repair it: https://fredmath.wixsite.com/minolta...en/focus-lever).
Thanks.
This focusing knob is also one of the strength of this camera. It so easy and fast to focus with it !

Old 01-09-2020   #5
charjohncarter

I have a Ricoh Diacord G that is surprisingly similar to the Automat. Even the focus is similar except the handle(s) are in a different area: the sides. You wonder if these post war cameras were put together using a handful of supplers.

Old 01-09-2020   #6
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I have a Ricoh Diacord G that is surprisingly similar to the Automat. Even the focus is similar except the handle(s) are in a different area: the sides. You wonder if these post war cameras were put together using a handful of supplers.
Nope. The internals of the Diacord and of the Autocord are different. The focus helical system is the same in principle but execution is not the same. The Autocord uses much heavier parts than the Diacord- thicker brass helicals, stronger mounting to the body casting. The only thing that makes little sense is that the focus lever on the Autocord is made from pot metal and breaks as is well known. The Diacord lever is, I think, stainless plate and attaches to the helical more securely.

Karl Bryan has a replacement for the Autocord lever. So do I. We use different approaches. He uses the core of the original design and makes his own replacement based on a modification Minolta developed near the end of the Autocord production that uses stainless steel. Much stronger and more secure. I throw out the overall design and screw the lever to the brass helical directly. Again, much stronger and more secure than the original.

Karl has been doing Autocord work for a long time and deserves support. Any repiar, maintennace, overhaul work, along with lever replacements. Very helpful and generous man. He can be reached at

[email protected]

You can see my lever here, bottom left photo-

https://www.dandanielcameras.com/minolta-autocord

Old 01-09-2020   #7
BWF

My mother-in-law (who hasn't touched a camera in ages) knew how to use my Autocord immediately upon picking it up because it's so similar to the Rolleiflex that her dad had when she was growing up. It's a great value and wonderful to use.

Old 01-09-2020   #8
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Autocord and Diacord both are great cameras, but I find the focusing levers of the Diacord fall under my fingers much more readily. I find myself often having to take my eyes away from the finder to locate the Autocord's focusing lever. (And the focusing lever is fragile, as noted.) The other design issue with the Autocord that I'm not so wild about is the wind crank -- I find its resting position at 10-11 o'clock requires more of an effort to initiate than the Rolleiflexes or Yashicamats, which are poised at 2:00 -- easier to push down. And the folding end of the crank handle on the Autocord is harder to push against without its flopping over, given the additional effort to initiate the winding, as mentioned.

I think I still prefer the Rolleicords to either of the other "cords" -- the Xenar is terrific, better than the Rokkor or Rikenon, and the knob winding is very secure (and prevents double exposures or missed frames). The shutter release is quirky, but easy to get used to.

Old 01-09-2020   #9
Nokton48

I bought this one for $70 at a local auction, then had the focusing lever changed out, and general CLA by Karl Bryan. He returned the camera in one day! Fully decked out with soft shutter "Bee" and Griptac covering. This is simply a great camera for little money.

Autocord Hood 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-09-2020   #10
ranger9

One often-overlooked advantage of the Autocord is that Minolta completely reversed the film path, so the film runs straight off the supply spool into the film gate, rather than having to make a 90-degree bend around a roller as it does on the Rolleiflex. The Rollei approach meant that film left sitting in the camera could develop a kink where it passed over the roller, resulting in a width-wise stripe of less-than-ideal sharpness if advanced immediately before taking a picture. In an Autocord, the film didn't have to bend around the roller until after it was exposed.

Old 01-09-2020   #11
dxq.canada

Yup, great camera. I've had about a dozen of them (to refurbish) of various models ... kept one of them for my own ... and the yes the only fault is the pot metal focus lever ... you just have to remember to set the focus on min or infinity when not using it so when you open the back it does not strike the knob.
I've had the Ricoh Diacord also ... and it also has a great lens, I would have kept it if it had a winder, but that is the Ricohmatic 225 ... I've never found one for a reasonable price.