Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Lens CLA Question
Old 07-07-2019   #1
RoccCity

Lens CLA Question

I recently sent my lens out for a CLA. When I received it back I noticed some marks inside the lens where the person I sent the lens to didnt wipe it down completely before reassembling. You can see the small marks between the "R" in Wetzler and the "2" in the serial number. Its either just smudges or oil. Obviously I can send it back and have it cleaned again, but Im just curious if this has happened to anyone else. This is the second time it happened to me and Im wondering if its normal.

Old 07-07-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I could hardly see something small on the edge. Did you tried to wipe it off with lens cleaning liquid?
I do lens CLA by myself, no big smudges.

Removing filter and using flashlight near the lens back sometimes helps to get better view, btw.

Old 07-07-2019   #3
RoccCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I could hardly see something small on the edge. Did you tried to wipe it off with lens cleaning liquid?
I do lens CLA by myself, no big smudges.

Removing filter and using flashlight near the lens back sometimes helps to get better view, btw.
Yeah, I wiped it. Iím always hesitant to because itís a summicron collapsible, but the front element was fine. Itís inside the lens and itís not very noticeable unless youíre outside in the sun. Like I said, itís just either oil or smudges not fungus or separation.

Old 07-07-2019   #4
oldwino

Why not ask the person who did the work?

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 07-07-2019   #5
RoccCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwino View Post
Why not ask the person who did the work?
Just because I didnt wanna come off as an ass if this is something normal.

More or less I was asking because I dont know if Im being a knit-picky diva or if this should be 100% clean after the CLA.

Old 07-07-2019   #6
splitimageview

Many lenses are impossible to get 100% clean. That mark will have zero effect on photos, the glass looks great, so many collapsibles have scratched glass.

Old 07-07-2019   #7
d.dulin

My viewfinder has wipe marks and some residual haze in the corners after a CLA. It bothers me and I should have sent it back again but I was anxious to shoot so I let it go. In hind sight it would have been best to send it back.

Old 07-07-2019   #8
oldwino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccCity View Post
Just because I didnt wanna come off as an ass if this is something normal.

More or less I was asking because I dont know if Im being a knit-picky diva or if this should be 100% clean after the CLA.
Asking the technician would allow them to inform you that either a.) itís a blemish that I cannot remove, or b.) please send it back so I can make this right.
Either way, you would know whatís up.

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 07-07-2019   #9
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Absolutely email or call, a quick question for the tech to answer. They would likely turn it around very quickly if it was an oversight.