Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji Digital General Discussion

Hasselblad V lens Stuck on Fotodiax Pro GFX Adapter
Old 05-27-2017   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Hasselblad V lens Stuck on Fotodiax Pro GFX Adapter

I was so excited, I was going to use my Hassy Lenses on my GFX

So I mount a 50/4 CF Distagon on the adapter.

It goes on fine. But that was the end of fine.

The lens stuck on the adapter, refusing to unmount,
I push the release button and try to unmount the lens
but the lens is locked into its mount and will not budge.

So far I have found no way to adjust the aperture. Shutter set on F, aperture ring will not move.

-- the adapter ships without instructions --

does anyone know how to unmount the stuck lens
or adjust the aperture ?

-- The good news is that the combined Fotodiax adapter and Hasselblad lens are big enough to be a good door stop

Old 05-27-2017   #2
raid
Dad Photographer

DAG may be the solution to your problem, Stephen.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-27-2017   #3
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

-- The good news is that the combined Fotodiax adapter and Hasselblad lens are big enough to be a good door stop
I use all my useless gear as a door stop.

Old 05-27-2017   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I don't have a fotodiox adapter for my hassy lenses, so I'm just guessing. Is the button supposed to be pressed straight down, or to one side? I can remember being fooled by a button that wasn't made to go in the direction that I thought it should. Like, forward and back rather than side to side, for instance.

Old 05-27-2017   #5
x-ray

It almost sounds as though the lens shutter tripped and is partially open or the slotted shaft that coupled with the V body to cock the lens may have hung on some part of the adapter. Did thexlens shutter fire when you mated it with the adapter or sometime on the camera? I know that there's a sequence to mounting the V lenses on extension tubes and removing them from the body with an extension tube. I rarely use extension tubes with mine and have to look it up every time but I seem to remember you put the tube on the body and then mount the lens. Removing it you remove the lens and then the tube from the body otherwise you get a major jammed body.

Is there a coupling on the adapter that mates to the slotted cocking shaft? Was the lens cockedcwhen you mounted it?

If all fails David Odess is the repair expert on Hasselblad.

Old 05-27-2017   #6
waterlenz

The first rule of Hasselbladery is to NEVER attach an extension tube directly to a lens or remove a lens from the camera with an extension tube attached to the lens (tube must stay on body). Doing so will trigger the lens shutter as the tube has a pin that arms the shutter. The lens depends on resting on the rotating shaft that is on the camera body to not trigger prematurely. It is possible to manually wind a lens-tube combination should one get a premature triggering - this is done with a screwdriver like device. You might have something like this on your adapter. Need detailed pix.

Old 05-27-2017   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The two posts above are exactly true for an adapter that mates the lens to a Hasselblad body. But since the non-Hasselblad body has no way to trip the shutter, would the Fotodiox adapter still have the same linkages as a standard Hasselblad adapter? In other words, do the usual rules still apply here?

Old 05-27-2017   #8
x-ray

It might be helpful to make a couple of photos of the back of the lens / adapter.

Old 05-27-2017   #9
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Stephen, is there anything on the adapter capable of tripping or winding the shutter? Is the shutter closed or open?

Old 05-27-2017   #10
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

The 50 CF lens functioned correctly on the 500CM. I removed the lens from a 500 CM. The lens shutter was wide open and set on F rather than a shutter speed.

the adapter has no mechanical connection to the lens other than the lens mount.

it appears to be designed to function with the leaf shutter open, and then using the GFX shutter.

I guessed there was some way to control the aperture with the shutter wide open. Perhaps I am missing something, but the CF lens that I have attached to the adapter at the moment does not appear to allow me to change the aperture. The aperture does not move.

For some reason the shutter closed in my struggles to remove the lens. I used a screw driver to turn the screw on the back of the lens to reopen the lens shutter.

The chrome lens release appears to only be capable of pushing in, no other direction possible. Pushing the button in does not allow me to turn the lens mount so I can remove the shutter.

Its an interesting problem. Is the adapter broken or am I just doing something wrong?

If the Fotodiox Pro HB to GFX lens adapter does not allow the photog to control lens aperture, I don't see much use in it.

Stephen

Old 05-27-2017   #11
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Is the EV cross-coupling button stuck down? That would lock the aperture when the shutter is in the F position. Also, what happens if you take it off of F? Does that free anything up?

Old 05-27-2017   #12
x-ray

Can you pull the lock button out?

You may have a lens problem.

Old 05-27-2017   #13
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Is the EV cross-coupling button stuck down? That would lock the aperture when the shutter is in the F position. Also, what happens if you take it off of F? Does that free anything up?
Thanks Rob,

I was never the best Hassy shooter, forgot about the cross coupling button.

OK, lens aperture can now be controlled. Even stopped down at F22 the viewfinder is relatively bright!

Still, the lens is stuck on the adapter, at every shutter speed, at every f stop.

Old 05-27-2017   #14
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Can you pull the lock button out?

You may have a lens problem.
the chrome lock pin on the adapter does not pull out, it only pushes inward about 1/32 inch.

for no apparent reason the lens shutter closes from time to time,
requiring an adapter dismount to recock the lens shutter.

Old 05-27-2017   #15
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

OK, lens aperture can now be controlled. Even stopped down at F22 the viewfinder is relatively bright!
Well, the iris does not really stop down until you use the DOF stop-down control, which should probably just be left in the stop-down position as long as you are using it on the GFX.

Did you take it off of F?

Old 05-27-2017   #16
x-ray

There's a little pin next to the cocking shaft that triggers the shutter when on the camera. If nothing is pressing on that pin then my guess is you have a shutter issue.

As far as the lens not releasing from the adapter it sounds like the locking pin is too large and stuck in the notch that it fits in to lock the lens in the mount. I'm guessing the tolerances of the adapter are a little sloppy. Can you put a tiny drop of oil on that pin and locking notch? Just a tiny bit on a toothpick. It might help it free up.

Old 05-27-2017   #17
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
There's a little pin next to the cocking shaft that triggers the shutter when on the camera. If nothing is pressing on that pin then my guess is you have a shutter issue.

As far as the lens not releasing from the adapter it sounds like the locking pin is too large and stuck in the notch that it fits in to lock the lens in the mount. I'm guessing the tolerances of the adapter are a little sloppy. Can you put a tiny drop of oil on that pin and locking notch? Just a tiny bit on a toothpick. It might help it free up.
the adapter only contacts the lens mount, nothing else on the back of the lens. so the shutter may be acting up by itself to repeatedly close down.

The shutter speeds can be changed, seems to make no difference in removing the lens.

I'll take the adapter and lens to a tech tomorrow. Worst case the lens mounting ring on the adapter appears removable, held in place by four tiny screws.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

Old 05-27-2017   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

If you install the lens/adapter pair on the camera, can you then remove the lens from the adapter?

Old 05-27-2017   #19
x-ray

Keep us posted and good luck.

Old 05-27-2017   #20
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
If you install the lens/adapter pair on the camera, can you then remove the lens from the adapter?
nope, makes no difference

Old 05-28-2017   #21
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

the adapter was removed by removing the lens locking retaining mechanism,
made possible by removing the four tiny screws that hold it in.

IMO the lens locking mechanism on this 1st version Fotodiax Hasselblad V to Fuji GFX adapter
is poorly designed and so the adapter should be avoided.

Not only is the lens release pin far too small to be conveniently and comfortably used
(the small pin presses uncomfortably into your finger to remove the lens),
the internal mechanism is badly designed so that it can jam easily,
thereby making it impossible to remove the lens,
without disassembling the adapter.

Old 05-28-2017   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

aperture and shutter: I don't know why you'd set the lens shutter to the F mark. That's for use with Hasselblad V 200 series bodies with a focal plane shutter so that the body can control the shutter mechanism; I don't know what behavior it elicits when you fit the lens to an adapter.

Both C and CF lenses should be mounted and unmounted with the Hasselblad shutter cocked, which means the shutter is wound and open, and the aperture is opened to maximum aperture. On both C and CF lenses, if you use the on-lens control to stop down the aperture, the lens is in the right state for an adapted focal plane shutter camera: you should be able to turn the aperture ring and adjust the aperture. On a C lens, you can only reset the the aperture by releasing the shutter and re-cocking the shutter and aperture. On a CF lens, you can reset the aperture by pressing the end and moving the manual stop down lever back. For use with a mount adapter, the shutter should never release so you can always refit the lens, either C or CF, to a Hasselblad body without any issues.

lens removal: It definitely sounds like the mount adapter's flange locking pin is jammed in the lens.

I had a similar stuck flange release pin happen with a mount adapter and a Nikon lens once. It was a pain in the butt to get it to release...! It got it to move, finally, with a very thin (0.0005") feeler gauge worked between the mount adapter flange and the lens flange, working it back and forth in contact with the locking pin. After I got them apart, I sent the mount adapter back to the manufacturer in exchange for another as that one was obviously out of spec.

G

Old 05-28-2017   #23
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
lens removal: It definitely sounds like the mount adapter's flange locking pin is jammed in the lens.

G
the adapter was disassembled. The adapter lens mount was not functioning correctly. Nothing was jammed. It was not working as it should due to poor design.