Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji Digital General Discussion

Classic Chrome (homebrew) Lightroom Profiles for X-Pro1, X-E1 & X100 !
Old 11-29-2015   #1
Filzkoeter
stray dog

Classic Chrome (homebrew) Lightroom Profiles for X-Pro1, X-E1 & X100 !

Hi guys and gals

I want you to try my homebrewed "Classic Chrome" camera profiles for Lightroom

Put them in your "User -> Appdata -> Roaming -> Adobe -> CameraRaw -> CameraProfiles" folder (on windows... I don't know where it is located on a mac)

Well, it's the very first version. Don't expect it to be perfect

+ I don't know if the X-Pro1 & X100 versions work. I built the profile for my X-E1 and changed the 'uniquecameramodel' parameters for the other versions... I don't know if they are the right ones ("Fujifilm X-Pro1" & "Fujifilm X100"?).
The X100 is completly experimental, I don't know how it will look at all because of the different sensor.

X-Pro1 version:

Version 1.1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8X-Pro1%29.dcp

X-E1 version:

Version 1.1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%28X-E1%29.dcp

X100 version:

Version 1.1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%28X100%29.dcp

sample:

Classic Chrome Homebrew V1.1 + a curves adjustment:

Edit:
Version 1.1 has less contrast in the shadows (no more blocking) + different response to blue colors

If anyone wants to know what I did here: I took some X-E1 raw files, converted them to DNG, changed their exif data to trick LR into thinking they are X-T1 files so that I could choose the built in classic chrome profile. I then reverse-engineered the colors and contrast of the CC profile with the adobe dng profile editor

- flickr -

Old 12-04-2015   #2
Michael W

Thanks for posting! I have an XPro-1, and installed the profile and applied it to a few raw files. I have nothing to compare it to, but it does seem capture the idea of how Fuji describes CC, and also has a very similar look and palette to other example I have seen posted on line.

I'll try and post some before and after jpegs for comparison.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1940'>My Gallery</a>

Old 12-04-2015   #3
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filzkoeter View Post
If anyone wants to know what I did here: I took some X-E1 raw files, converted them to DNG, changed their exif data to trick LR into thinking they are X-T1 files so that I could choose the built in classic chrome profile. I then reverse-engineered the colors and contrast of the CC profile with the adobe dng profile editor
That's clever.

You can do the same trick for any other digital camera, right?

Old 12-04-2015   #4
Filzkoeter
stray dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
That's clever.

You can do the same trick for any other digital camera, right?
Basically it should be possible. Shoot a color chart. Convert the raw to dng, duplicate it, change the copy's exif with something like exiftool so its "uniquecameramodel" parameter says "Fujifilm X-T1". In Lightroom (version 5.7 or newer) you should then be able to select the hardcoded Classic Chrome profile. Load the dng with the normal exif into the Adobe DNG Profile editor. Take a couple hours of time trying to figure out what the classic chrome profile does to the contrasts and colors

I'm now in the 4. version of my homebrewed Classic Chrome profile (each version was a complete new start from scratch) and I think I'm at least 95% identical to the genuine profile. I got a ton of genuine classic chrome pictures and raw files from a friend which helped a lot.

In the dng profile editor, this is my setting for the color matrices... took a long time to figure this out:

Anyone wanting to do their own DIY classic chrome, this should bring you in the right ballpark. The rest are tweaks of individual colors and a tone curve which adds contrast to the shadows/darker midtones but keeps the highlights/lighter midtones straight.

- flickr -

Old 12-05-2015   #5
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filzkoeter View Post
Basically it should be possible. Shoot a color chart. Convert the raw to dng, duplicate it, change the copy's exif with something like exiftool so its "uniquecameramodel" parameter says "Fujifilm X-T1". In Lightroom (version 5.7 or newer) you should then be able to select the hardcoded Classic Chrome profile. Load the dng with the normal exif into the Adobe DNG Profile editor. Take a couple hours of time trying to figure out what the classic chrome profile does to the contrasts and colors

I'm now in the 4. version of my homebrewed Classic Chrome profile (each version was a complete new start from scratch) and I think I'm at least 95% identical to the genuine profile. I got a ton of genuine classic chrome pictures and raw files from a friend which helped a lot.

In the dng profile editor, this is my setting for the color matrices... took a long time to figure this out:

Anyone wanting to do their own DIY classic chrome, this should bring you in the right ballpark. The rest are tweaks of individual colors and a tone curve which adds contrast to the shadows/darker midtones but keeps the highlights/lighter midtones straight.
That's a lot of work.

I was looking at fuji classic chrome flickr pool and the images seem low contrast.

Kodachrome was a high contrast film, even Kodachrome 200. Look at the work of Steve McCurry for example, and check out the last role of Kodachrome video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUL6MBVKVLI

And check out this post, The Art and Science of Reproducing Kodachrome: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/...?topic=70942.0

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2017   #6
Verteidiger

Here the x-pro1-profile works, the x100-profile does not. Any idea why not? Thank you for the working one anyway!