Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 10-22-2016   #81
Black
Photographer.

Had Moleskine in the past and nothing at all wrong with them - nice range and very serviceable. However, as I intend to use next years version a lot more (more writing, adding Polaroids etc), I've decided to up my game to something a bit ... prettier...

http://www.thejournalshop.com/hoboni...o-planner-2017

Old 10-22-2016   #82
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Wow, I first responded to this thread eight years ago!

I no longer use Moleskines, or any other paper notebooks.

As many of you know, I suffered a small stroke three years ago that left the right side of my body weakened. I have difficulty writing with a pen or pencil since I am right handed, and my right hand doesn't have the fine motor skills needed to manipulate a pen anymore.

I can still type fairly well on my computer, so now I'm using a software app called Evernote, which is journaling or note-taking software. It works great, and lets me read and update my notes on my computer or my tablet. Adding, deleting, or changing a note on one device automatically syncs to the others. The really cool thing is that I can put the photos I took in each note so I can see the actual images I am writing about!

I keep notes of the dates, locations, and equipment used. When I shoot film, I put that info in, as well.
Resurrected thread indeed. I have been using Evernote since the beginning of this year and it's been fantastic for my workflow. Anything on my phone, iPad or computer gets synched and I've been sending a lot of things I find on the web to an "unsorted" notebook, that I can go over, revisit and sort when I have the time. For me it's been much better than making bookmarks on the web all of the time.

As for taking notes on the go, I used to keep a moleskine softcover pocket notebook in my back pocket with one of those zebra half pens while I was teaching in Honduras for 2 years. It helped me keep track of all sorts of things. I didn't have a smartphone while I was down there. Now in the USA, and for future trips abroad, I have a smartphone to handle most of the note taking. I haven't used much voice notes yet, but it seems like a fantastic and easy option.

As was just mentioned a few posts back, while I'm out shooting, I can't imagine I'd take the time to write down every single exposure from every single shot. It would be too distracting and to confining for me, especially when I'm out shooting on the street or with friends. Just too many steps.

Having said that, I have been journaling in a Molelskine notebook for the past 15 years, have gone to a few different brands over time, but always come back to the Moleskine for its simplicity and durability. Perhaps their quality has decreased over the years, but in the end it's two hard covers and some pages in between. It serves its purpose.

Old 10-22-2016   #83
rulnacco

These little darlings look quite useful and compact--and the price is pretty hard to beat.

ADDENDUM: Oh, wow, didn't realise I wasn't responding to the latest reply in this thread--caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I see these were indeed mentioned earlier, including by their designer. They do look really nice, and I think I'll grab a pair to carry in my Hasselblad field kit.

Old 10-22-2016   #84
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulnacco View Post
These little darlings look quite useful and compact--and the price is pretty hard to beat.

ADDENDUM: Oh, wow, didn't realise I wasn't responding to the latest reply in this thread--caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I see these were indeed mentioned earlier, including by their designer. They do look really nice, and I think I'll grab a pair to carry in my Hasselblad field kit.
I thought you were joking when you posted that link! Yeah, the designer had posted earlier in the thread. Curious to know how they are. Keep us posted on your findings.