Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite <compact> Light Meter?
Sekonic (Twin-mate, or other small models) 272 36.61%
Gossen (Pilot, or other diminutive types) 220 29.61%
Weston (don't know the models) 58 7.81%
Minolta (are there any small ones?) 20 2.69%
Pentax (any small ones?) 4 0.54%
Leica Meter 35 4.71%
CV Meter 121 16.29%
Brand X (no offense intended) 58 7.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2014   #241
oltimer

Mine is the Gossen Profisix, with attachments.

Old 12-25-2014   #242
Ranchu
-

I just had an attack of norwood directors, I like em. So calm with no batteries.

Old 12-26-2014   #243
nongfuspring

An iphone. As Godfrey mentions it's not the smallest, but I have one with me anyway. The Lumu isn't really necessary for me since I don't really do any incident metering and having a WYSIWYG indication through the screen is really useful. But maybe I'll get one eventually.

Old 12-26-2014   #244
besk

I have a VC meter which mostly is on my wrist. Sewed a flash shoe to a wrist band. The meter slides in and stays out of the way until it is needed. Will post a photo if I can ever figure out how to do it.

Old 12-26-2014   #245
Prest_400
Multiformat

Seemingly I ended up "go big or go home", so it stays at home mostly.

Fuji GW690III and a Minolta Autometer IIIF with 10º Spot attachment (and a ND +3EV incident dome) gotten from a fellow RFFer.

Not compact according to my vision. I don't know how a Sekonic 308 compares to it, but it was the most economic modern meter option.

Should force myself to go with it, as now I loaded up Provia.

But I think I might rely on sunny rule 16 + an app ("lightmeter" android) for those lazy metering situations on negative film.

Old 12-26-2014   #246
Brian Atherton

Last week, for fun, I downloaded the free version of Pocket Light Meter for my iPhone 5.

Works well when one has a mobile signal, otherwise it freezes to a pink screen or digital mush and point blank refuses to work.

The problem, I think, is that the software is searching for a signal to display the free adverts, when it can’t find a signal it jams solid and is useless.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-06-2015   #247
skibeerr

Though the Twinmate is small I found it a bit fiddly and one way or another the iso settings always moved around.
I carried a Sekonic L398A Studio Deluxe Mk III around on treks and found it was easy to handle and accurate, apart from having to put the disc in sometimes and also it's much bigger than the 208.

As for low light, can you still focus a camera accurately at EV4, I know I can't.

Old 02-09-2015   #248
Larry Cloetta

No matter what one's presuppositions might be, I'd urge trying one of the better iPhone apps. I've noticed these described here with what seems like a feeling of "they're good enough to use if I don't have my good meter with me". My guess is that you'll find one of these might be better, or at the very least, as accurate as the dedicated meter you are using now, no matter what that might be. Often more highly featured and with a greater range of capabilities as well.

People seem to use the Light Meter app a lot. I have that one, and the Luxi app as well, but neither one of these is as good as the myLightMeter Pro app I usually use. This provides incident (I use a Luxi diffuser for this) and reflected modes as well as calibration, spot metering for quick easy determination of the dynamic range of a scene, two different interfaces for ease of use in a variety of situations, plus a well written manual and much more, as well as great developer support if necessary. Link below, along with a link to the developer's more recent app which I have not yet tried.
I know it sounds like he's paying me, but just a satisfied customer.

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/myli...2375?l=en&mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ligh...720707253?mt=8

Old 02-11-2015   #249
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
No matter what one's presuppositions might be, I'd urge trying one of the better iPhone apps. I've noticed these described here with what seems like a feeling of "they're good enough to use if I don't have my good meter with me". My guess is that you'll find one of these might be better, or at the very least, as accurate as the dedicated meter you are using now, no matter what that might be. Often more highly featured and with a greater range of capabilities as well.

People seem to use the Light Meter app a lot. I have that one, and the Luxi app as well, but neither one of these is as good as the myLightMeter Pro app I usually use. This provides incident (I use a Luxi diffuser for this) and reflected modes as well as calibration, spot metering for quick easy determination of the dynamic range of a scene, two different interfaces for ease of use in a variety of situations, plus a well written manual and much more, as well as great developer support if necessary. Link below, along with a link to the developer's more recent app which I have not yet tried.
I know it sounds like he's paying me, but just a satisfied customer.

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/myli...2375?l=en&mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ligh...720707253?mt=8
I'll soon change to an iPhone 6 and I'm seriously considering getting the Luxi ("for all") attachment; so then it will be both a spot reflective and incident meter. Everywhere and anytime.
While cheaper than a replacement dome, the thing shipped costs like a pack of Portra 120.

Somewhere in the web there is a post by a cinematographer or DP that compared a couple of sekonics to the iphone. It was quite within tight tolerances.

Old 05-14-2015   #250
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Over the years I've owned a number of meters by Gossen, Seconic, Weston and others. Presently I have:
Two Gossen Pilots (my most used meters. They are simple, accurate as needed, rugged, easy to use and small.)
Two Weston Master III (my most used until recently when my eyesight degraded to the point I have difficulty reading the small numbers even with glasses in all but the brightest light)
A Weston Ranger 9 (an old favorite that still carries on after many years. I originally purchased it in the early 70's to use as a meter for my view cameras. Weight was not an issue though it weighs a ton)
Two Vivitar 24 hot shoe mounted meters (nice, small and fairly accurate camera mounted meters that unfortunately broke fairly often. A great idea poorly executed.)
A Minolta IVF that is a really nice meter but with a limited and somewhat outdated interface. It works as needed but it's not as user friendly as one would like.)
Somewhere I have a Sekonic L6 meter that I haven't seen for a few years and I loaned my Gossen Super Pilot to a friend who lost it (a meter that I was fond of and used a lot over a 15 year period.). I also used an app on my iPhone for a while until the phone died.
Of all those meters, the Gossen Pilots are most suited to my analog photography today.

Old 07-06-2015   #251
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Earley View Post
Over the years I've owned a number of meters by Gossen, Seconic, Weston and others. Presently I have:
Two Gossen Pilots (my most used meters. They are simple, accurate as needed, rugged, easy to use and small.)
Of all those meters, the Gossen Pilots are most suited to my analog photography today.
How does the Gossen Pilot perform in low light condition, says indoor shooting?
I found some good deals on ebay but just want to confirm before purchasing.
Thanks.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 07-06-2015   #252
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post

How does the Gossen Pilot perform in low light condition, says indoor shooting?
I found some good deals on ebay but just want to confirm before purchasing.
Thanks.
It is a selenium meter, so it starts at a modest EV 5 or 6. The same goes for every selenium meter. Even the large round cell pro meters from Weston or Sekonic only reach down to EV 4, which any cheap CdS meter will do (the most sensitive silicone ones reach to -6). Selenium meters are limited to handheld photography with ISO 400 film, anything more low light calls for a battery powered meter with silicone cell.

Old 07-07-2015   #253
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
It is a selenium meter, so it starts at a modest EV 5 or 6. The same goes for every selenium meter. Even the large round cell pro meters from Weston or Sekonic only reach down to EV 4, which any cheap CdS meter will do (the most sensitive silicone ones reach to -6). Selenium meters are limited to handheld photography with ISO 400 film, anything more low light calls for a battery powered meter with silicone cell.
Thanks for quick response, then I would skip these ancient meters and go for more modern one.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 08-27-2015   #254
harpofreely

Another vote for the Twin-Mate. Perfect for the chest pocket of an oxford-cloth button down.

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 09-21-2015   #255
regular

My Sekonic got stolen. It was ok, but it felt a bit fragile.

I am now looking for a new lightmeter to buy, robust and no fancy useless feature. Do you have suggestions?

Old 10-26-2015   #256
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I really like the little *Vivitar 24 CdS* meter.
It can be used handheld or shoe-mounted.
It uses a common 44/76/357 1.5V button cell.
It has a fairly narrow angle of view.
It's often a bargain on eBay.

Posting this reminded me what a handy little meter this is,
so I just bought another Vivitar 24 CdS for my Canon P.
Price was under $22 on eBay for one like new in box...

Chris

Old 10-15-2016   #257
lxmike
Barnack fan

A very simple, easy to use, but reliable lightmeter, well for me it has to be the Sekonic L208

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: Lomo LC-A

Old 10-15-2016   #258
helenhill
Chasing Shadows & Light

In the past, Gossen digisix then CV meter II,
now just in house meter M5, M6 or 'Lux' for film app on iphone

Old 10-15-2016   #259
ckuwajima
Celso

I use the self powered Sekonic Studio Deluxe. Bought used after experiencing a mid weekend battery drain on my otherwise reliable and precise L-758D.

Old 10-17-2016   #260
gb hill

I've learned a bit since my 1st posting in this thread way back in 12-07. Wasn't the meter that was off. just was the user. Still have & use the GE DW-68 for metering my B&W photos at times. I enjoy carrying & using the old meter & get good results out of it. Got if off ebay years ago with some darkroom supplies.

Spot meter.
Old 10-17-2016   #261
jmpgino

Spot meter.

I have been using a Minolta spot meter for 34 years and can honestly say that I have never had a bad exposure with it. I love it so much I bought an updated model with flash capability for reserve.
I am presently in Phuket Thailand with my Hasselblads, shooting BW and Color. Today I noticed my PME51 prism meter was giving underexposed readings, checked with my spot meter and digital camera, I was right, one and a half stop underexposed readings, the battery is probably shot. Anyhow, I always use my spot meter when the lighting is difficult, so it is with me all of the time. The Hasselblad meter is now back inside and will not be used again on this trip. She is easy to use and very accurate.
Sun shining off outside again.............