Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 03-19-2012   #281
kuvvy

Thanks for that Randy. I like the BBBs buut I have already found the rear pocket and the small front pockets a tad tight. There's only room for slim items as there's no 'give' in them. That said i have two, the original along with the BBBE. Love the quality and the bags are such a lightweight it's only the amount of gear that really weighs anything. I bought the Hadley Small and had it just a month before replacing it with the BBBE.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-19-2012   #282
funkpilz

I'd love to check out this bag, but when I go to figitalrevolution.com, it says the blog is private and I need a password. Is this showing up for everyone else?

Old 03-19-2012   #283
figitalrevolution
figitalrevolution

The new iPad is a bit thicker... just got mine on Friday so we are adding 1/2" to the length, 1/4" to the height and 1/4" to the front to back to help the fit for all versions 1-3. All other details are the same and again www.barebonesbag.com is the place to order from.

Cheers-
Stephen

PS- the iPad 3 does fit in the current size BBBE but I wanted to add a bit to the size to make it perfect.

Old 03-20-2012   #284
j.scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard View Post
I've got an iPad 2 in a slim case with the BBBE and it was a wee bit snug at first but loosened up after a couple of days such that now it fits fine. The issue wasn't so much with the size of the back pocket, but rather, how easy it was to close the zipper.

-Randy
I have an Ipod 2 and use the Otterbox case, which has to be one of the biggest ipod cases on the market.

At first it was almost impossible to get the ipod in the back section with the zippers closed. Now after a using it for a while it has broken in nicely and my ipod fits perfectly.

Old 04-17-2012   #285
kuvvy

Well I got my Ipad 3 and find that it will fit the BBBE without it's case but not with it. A bit disappointed as I'd like to use the case for extra protection. I bought the BBBE when it was announced because it woould would the ipad and I do like teh quality of the bags....I've had three. If indeed the new ipad is slightly larger than the older two then there's no way it's gonna eventually fit as the zipper just isn't gonna stretch that far. Shame.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-17-2012   #286
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
I have an Ipod 2 and use the Otterbox case, which has to be one of the biggest ipod cases on the market.

At first it was almost impossible to get the ipod in the back section with the zippers closed. Now after a using it for a while it has broken in nicely and my ipod fits perfectly.
iPod or iPad?

I've been considering a BBBE for my new NEX-7 kit and a future iPad - I have a first generation BBB that I love.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 04-17-2012   #287
menthel
Not very good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
Well I got my Ipad 3 and find that it will fit the BBBE without it's case but not with it. A bit disappointed as I'd like to use the case for extra protection. I bought the BBBE when it was announced because it woould would the ipad and I do like teh quality of the bags....I've had three. If indeed the new ipad is slightly larger than the older two then there's no way it's gonna eventually fit as the zipper just isn't gonna stretch that far. Shame.
This was the reason I went to courierware and had a bag made specifically to my needs. The BBB bags look good (and are made by courierware) but I got the flexibility and the exact bag lay out I wanted, as well as a decent sized back inner pocket that holds my ipad 1 in the apple case inside a courierware ipad case!

Old 04-17-2012   #288
kuvvy

Sounds good, Menthel. Any shots to show us? Did you get it in the UK or import?

I have the original BBB too and it still gets some use. The BBBE is nice and the inside is much better now. Love the lightweight and the way they lie so flat to your body.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-17-2012   #289
menthel
Not very good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
Sounds good, Menthel. Any shots to show us? Did you get it in the UK or import?

I have the original BBB too and it still gets some use. The BBBE is nice and the inside is much better now. Love the lightweight and the way they lie so flat to your body.
Made by the courierware guys in the Us and imported over here. Worked out about £200 all told but is used as an everyday bag for work and as a photobag (the inserrt is easily removed). I will try to get some photos up at some point but I am rather slack about such things!

It does easily fit my ipad, M6, all 3 lenses, filters and films as well as one of either my Rolleiflex T or NEX-5N inside comfortably. Its not as small as the BBB-E but is not big by any sense of the imagination and is very comfortable to carry.

Old 04-17-2012   #290
j.scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
iPod or iPad?

I've been considering a BBBE for my new NEX-7 kit and a future iPad - I have a first generation BBB that I love.
Sorry I meant Ipad 2, I am sure the BBB could hold at least 20 ipods

Old 04-17-2012   #291
kuvvy

Thanks for that. I just looked at the Incognito bags on the Courierware site along with the removable insert but they don't look much different than my Lowepro Exchange Messenger. I bought a Puleme removable insert (£11) for it and the bag itself was around £30, even as low as £23 on ebay now. Its a well made bag and bigger than the BBBE, but with the removable insert I can carry my ipad between it and the bag.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-17-2012   #292
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Sorry I meant Ipad 2, I am sure the BBB could hold at least 20 ipods
Either that, or it's one heck of a case!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C

Old 04-17-2012   #293
celluloidprop

I got a Lowepro Exchange from Amazon and sent it back immediately - it's nothing like the Courierware. Maybe I got a weird one, but this one had no exterior form or padding, just a couple of dividers and velcro on the inside. I wasn't worried about the padding, but it was impossible for me to put cameras in and take them out without structure.

The Incognito/BBBE are excellent in that they aren't too bulky or rigid but have structure to make getting things in and out easier.

Props to Courierware too - I sent back an Incognito because the strap was too short for me, so they e-mailed me back and remade it with a strap a foot longer.

Old 04-17-2012   #294
back alley
IMAGES

the lowepro exchange messenger is a 20 buck bag...great for the price but not in the same league as bbb or courieware...

Old 04-17-2012   #295
j.scooter

Another thing I like about my BBBE is that the base is such that the bag sits upright, even when fully loaded.

Old 04-17-2012   #296
celluloidprop

Rebranded Courser bags, can be had for half-price direct from China

Old 04-25-2012   #297
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I'm a very happy user of a first generation BBB, the one with no padded insert and the thin foldable dividers. It is my absolutely favorite bag of all time, and I use it interchangeably for my M kit and my N1V1.

I'm considering a BBB-E for my new NEX-7 kit. Can anyone here that has both an original BBB like mine an a new BBB-E comment on their relative sizes? Also, does the BBB-E drape as nicely as the BBB due to the new padded interior?

Old 04-26-2012   #298
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I decided to go ahead and order a BBBE.

Old 05-06-2012   #299
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My BBBE arrived yesterday, very nice! I really like these bags.

Old 11-03-2012   #300
TKH

Whats up with BBB?
So silent here.

Samyang 12mm f2 + XF 18mm f2 + Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 with Kipon Tilt/Shift + XF 35mm f1.4 + XF 56mm f1.2 + XC 50-230mm

My English B/W Photo Blog

My German Photo Blog

Old 11-03-2012   #301
Gary E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
Whats up with BBB?
So silent here.
We're all out shooting so too busy to write about our BBB's.

I've been shooting with my original BBB small and BBB large since it's inception, and the only wear I have is worn Velcro and slight scuffs to the reflection coating on the flap. In the crowded city in which I live, this body conforming bag has allowed me to weave through the congestion during festivals, street parades, etc...

Oh, and to the post about using this with a TLR and RF, it can only be done with the BBB large. The TLR is too large for the BBB small; though it does fit, it makes the bag look like you're carry a sack of rocks and limits you to carry only that and a pen after it bunches up.
Sony FE used to call me but now Fuji GFX is ringing in my ears

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 11-04-2012   #302
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
Whats up with BBB?
So silent here.
Still using mine daily.

-Randy

Old 01-28-2013   #303
Marc G.
film loving student

hey, the bare bones bag found its way to me after 1 week travel and 1 week being pushed around at customs.

the packaging was not what I expected. the bag was just stuffed into a flat paper-plastic-bag (why do I pay 40$ for shipping for that?) and the insert/dividers are completely out of shape.

any idea how to get them back to the flat shape?

I'd also like to see some of your solutions with the dividers, how you use them.

stephen liberally told courierware to add 8 inches to the strap which gives me the freedom of not being limited by the maximum length

thanks for that! great service

Old 05-24-2013   #304
stillshunter
unlearning digital habits

Really enjoyed this thread. I'm now convinced I want me one of the older small original or stealth BBB. See my Wanted Ad here. So why did CourierWare abandon the original minimalist 'fixed inner pocket' design and opt for the current 'E' Evolution series that looks like so many other bags?

Flickriver

Old 05-25-2013   #305
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I do wish Stephen would offer the original fixed thin divider BBB again - I have one and love it. I like my newer E-BBB too, but the original BBB is the best small bag I've ever used. Please - reissue the original with optional zippered pockets!

Last edited by Ken Ford : 09-24-2013 at 21:20. Reason: Typo

Old 07-13-2013   #306
stillshunter
unlearning digital habits

Well I've now had one month in the company of a Bare Bones Bag (BBB) and in short my eyes are now open!

A top guy gifted me a BBB 'Traveler'.
FYI:
Traveler: H 22 cm x W 29 cm x D 14 cm
Original BBB: H 24 cm x W 32 cm x D 12 cm

I say my eyes are open, as I was a little dubious about a padding-less bag to hold my preciousnesses. But the way things fit and then settle into any of the myriad of pockets (internal or external) or the main compartment makes for a bag that hugs you and seems to keep everything more safe...and your shoulder and back more sound. The bag is so light and yet so durable.

I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 (Pinestone) a fortnight or so before the BBB arrived. Can I just say that since it arrived the Retro 5 is luxuriating in perpetual mint condition on the shelf. The BBB is so well thought out and a third of the weight of the Retro (which is mighty heavy for its size).

Only wish I discovered BBBs a few years back - it makes me rethink bag design completely! Calling into question the form and function of more conventional bags and the philosophy of most bag makers.

Stephen Schaub is today's Jim Domke

Flickriver

Old 08-29-2013   #307
kuvvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillshunter View Post

I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 (Pinestone) a fortnight or so before the BBB arrived. Can I just say that since it arrived the Retro 5 is luxuriating in perpetual mint condition on the shelf.

I've found myself in the opposite position to you. I have the Retro 5 and the BBBe but prefer the Retro. I have only a small kit, carrying both my Xpro1, a couple of lenses plus the X100 amounts to my big kit
The BBBe has been rarely used and is gonna be put in the classifieds soon. I have an original BBB too which I'll hang onto.
With the Retro, I've removed the base protector and usually have a large lens cloth in the bottom. It's allows the bag to sag a tad and I feel hang a little better. The cloth still gives enough protection at the bottom of the bag.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 10-03-2014   #308
jalLee2001
jallee55

I have had two of the BBB for many years now. They will never wear out. Highly recommend them.

flickr.com/people/jallee55

Old 10-11-2014   #309
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Both my original BBB and the newer BBB-E are still going strong.

Old 10-11-2014   #310
back alley
IMAGES

are the bbb bags still in production?

Old 10-11-2014   #311
willie_901

The web site that previously featured the BBB, no longer has any reference to the BBB whatsoever.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-11-2014   #312
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
The web site that previously featured the BBB, no longer has any reference to the BBB whatsoever.
i noticed that too...wonder if my bbb-e is worth more now?

Old 10-11-2014   #313
seajak

Still in the cattledog at INDIAN HILL Imageworks.

cheers,
clay

Old 10-11-2014   #314
back alley
IMAGES

$165...hmmmm

Old 10-12-2014   #315
willie_901

Thanks seajak
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com