Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a rewind post attachment?
Would not buy one 135 56.25%
$25-$50 46 19.17%
$50-$75 23 9.58%
$75-$100 22 9.17%
more than $100 14 5.83%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2008   #41
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
Why?

So you can save five or ten seconds rewinding your film? I must confess I have never understood these devices. If you're in that much of a hurry then a Leica M is probably not your camera of choice.
exactly!!!! It probably takes me 30 secs longer to rewind the MP over the M6. To me it's just going to be something else that gets snagged on something in my bag and will probably get bent off or worse bend the post it's attached to. If you really want your film rewound fast then buy something with an electric rewind!

Old 03-30-2008   #42
nobbylon

sorry if someone has already posted this link but here's a few pics from one of Stephens pages
http://www.cameraquest.com/LRWlev.htm

Old 03-30-2008   #43
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

Youxin Ye once wrote to me that he did not approve of M rewind cranks. He did not elaborate, but I assume his objection has to do with bending stress on the rewind shaft.
Flickr gallery

Old 04-01-2008   #44
ferider

Is it just me or has anybody else tried a crank (in my case Wasserman) and was bothered that it got stuck everywhere, camera bag, sweater, etc ?

Old 04-03-2008   #45
gdi

My M3 came with a nice rewind crank and a Leica soft release type contraption (really tall).

Both have been sitting in a box since the date of purchase...

Old 04-15-2008   #46
kully
Happy Snapper

Hallo ferider, I have your Wasserman permanently on my M2 now - it's great!

But yes, it is not perfect and although not catching on my clothes or dangling bits it is causing wear in my bag. I also like to have the camera upside down when reloading on a table and the crank makes this slightly more difficult.

But, that's all fine, it's eleviated the one thing that was a chore - loading with the spool I've gotten used to.

Old 02-23-2009   #47
pkuglin

I got one of those from a used camera (M3) . I took it off and threw in in a drawer. I love the post rewind method and hate the crank especially on the M6 - no clutch so don't go while you are rewindering....

I will stay with the m3 style on my MP w/o any help from a crank...

Old 02-24-2009   #48
TomN

Bob, not sure what the age of the camera has to do with one's need or want to rewind quickly. I don't mind the winder on my M3, but when I do weddings (often) I really want the speed. I have yet to purchase a winder because I don't think that any of the offerings atm are as good as they could be.

Old 02-24-2009   #49
leighmarrin

The slightly slow rewind knob on my IIIf and M2 is not a problem for me, despite a bit of carpal-tunnel. I've seen several thrift-store 35mm SLRs with bent rewind levers, and my lightly-constructed Bessa L would be a likely canidate for a snagged-and-bent rewind lever; I wish it had a rewind KNOB!

Yes, please do Sir..
Old 02-24-2009   #50
Benjamin
Registered Snoozer

Yes, please do Sir..

The post rewind is the bane of many, myself included for sure. It looks nicer, I guess, and is certainly more rugged than the levered cranks of the later M's.

The add on cranks are all +!

As Artorius mentioned; anything that speeds up the down time when shooting proffesionally is a major plus.

It doesn't spoil any classic lines etc, and is removable anyway.

One can take advantage of both the stronger nature of the post, and speed. Why wouldn't you want one?

AND it's cheaper than going all a-la-carte for the sake of rewinding speed.

The minus points currently are that they are usually overpriced, and don't offer much to hold onto. Especially when it's cold.

Anyway, blah blah. I would certainly be interested, even if it was more expensive than the Leica option.

As long as it was better.

Benjamin

Old 02-24-2009   #51
Yammerman

I have the leica one that was bundled with my MP, have fitted it twice and taken it off immediatley both times. It just dosen't seem right somehow.

Old 02-25-2009   #52
Larry Manuel
-

I like the simple knob on my M3, I'll not be your customer. Still, good luck.

Old 02-26-2009   #53
Al Kaplan

I still have one on my button rewind M2 #929XXX, mostly because the screw was rusted in place when I bought the camera back in 1972 and I've been too lazy to hacksaw it off of the knob during the past 37 years (is that a laziness record?). I've had several other M's over the years, and I still have an M3 and an M2-R, but that was the only add-on crank.

My Gallery

Would you buy an M2/3/P rewind post accessory?
Old 02-26-2009   #54
Rui Morais de Sousa

I would only think of buying one if I would be a kind of reporter working under battle fire or some other highly stressing situation. But who uses a Leica under these circumstances these days?
I never bothered the rewinding of my M3 and M2. Usually I get the chance to sit down and take a rest, when time comes to change the film... It is also easier with the bottom loading...
I usually can spare the extra time.
For sure, it goes faster and easier with the M4 and M4-2, but these little differences also add to the fun of using different Leica bodies.
By the way: I said it already in this forum, but I will repeat, that I find it completely ridiculous that Leica whent back to the rewinding knob on the new MP (Wich should not be called MP!), just to look "retro" (meaning fashionable).
After many years praising the "new" system developed on the M4, we now get served the old crap, together with one more accesory (that costs a lot of money) to overcome it's design flaws! It just doesn't make sense to me... I think that I am just too stupid to understand it!
No, as a working photographer I don't need these kind of marketing games.
Rui

Last edited by Rui Morais de Sousa : 02-26-2009 at 02:46.

Old 02-26-2009   #55
Rui Morais de Sousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post
You people who like the rewind post are nuts!
Are you telling everyone that you're happy with a S L O W rewinding system when there's a much faster system available as a simple add-on for less than $100?
Mr. Ron,

Maybe YOU should not be nuts, and buy another Leica model instead. There are plenty of them that do not use the rewinding knob...
To buy a new camera from the shelf that comes with it (meaning the new MP), that is maybe beeing nuts...

And yes, $100 is a LOT of money for some people.
There are surelly enough human beeings on the planet that feed the entire family with that amount of money for a whole month!
Please, don't be arrogant just because you can afford it.
I know that you don't find that kind of people on this forum, but even thinking for myself, I would rather spend it on something else (film comes to mind...Bills, food, diesel, bier...).

As I also said before: I hate Leica snobbery!

My kindest regards,
Rui

(P.S.: I didn't know that there were still so much photographers doind rush assignments with their Leicas. I am amazed. I thought that those people were shooting digital SLR and didn't need to change their films...
We can always learn something new everyday...).

Old 02-26-2009   #56
Al Kaplan

Those of us who did do "rushed asignments" with Leicas learned various tricks for speeding up the rewind process. The quickest way to get from one roll to the next is by using one of your other bodies.

My Gallery

Old 02-26-2009   #57
pachuco
El ****

I have a crank on my M3 and I like it. I don't know if I would even think I needed one if I did not like to change film quickly.

flickr

Old 02-26-2009   #58
leica M2 fan

To unload my M2 especially with a 36 exp. roll became such a chore for me that I got a silver one from Tamarkin about 3 years ago for $99 and I love it! Wouldn't be without it.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 02-26-2009   #59
Doug

Rewind cranks can be a pain, such as those that are small and/or don't fold out completely flat. Annoying when they fold in while you're cranking fast. Or you can lose your grip and the crank then un-rewinds a ways. But I do admire those cranks on certain Canon RF models that fold down flush into the camera top.

OTOH, the knob rewind on my M2 is fine too, and I've not been tempted to get an accessory crank for it. The newer MP improves on this, I understand, with a brake to inhibit reverse-turning. Sounds good!

Old 02-26-2009   #60
maddoc
... likes film.

Oh ... this old thread came up I have re-read my former post here, the MP is long gone and so is the rewind crank add-on.

Having an M2 now I can live very well with the knob, it doesn't slip back and albeit takes longer time than rewinding my M4-P or M6, it doesn't bother me at all.

The best rewind system of all M Leicas is the ratchet bottom-plate system of the M5. Nothing sticks out, simple mechanics, no sliping back and very fast due to the large rewind arm. I wonder why Leica have omitted this system in the newer models ...

flickr
pBase

Old 02-27-2009   #61
Doug

Well, Gabor, both the Minolta CLE and the new Zeiss Ikon have sizable bottom-mounted rewind levers that seem to work well. How do these compare to the M5's?

Old 02-27-2009   #62
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Well, Gabor, both the Minolta CLE and the new Zeiss Ikon have sizable bottom-mounted rewind levers that seem to work well. How do these compare to the M5's?
Doug, I haven't used the ZI much (and the CLE not at all) but I also have a CL (actually my wife has it) and the CL rewind is as good as the one of the M5. Simple design and very good to use !

Cheers,

Gabor

flickr
pBase

Old 04-19-2009   #63
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoNL View Post
Never missed one. Would spend the money on film.
Hear hear.
I used a M3 for 10 years and didn't miss it.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Old 04-19-2009   #64
literiter

I have a M4-P and a M2. The M4-P as everyone knows has the crank rewind, the M2 has the knurled post.
I find after this many years it is just as easy to rewind with the post as the crank and just about as fast.
I'm a little elderly now and no problem, can't see why a young buck would need such a thing either........buy film!

Old 04-19-2009   #65
Roger Hicks

One of my M2s has a rewind crank on it, and has had for decades. It's a modest convenience, but I've not bothered to transfer it to my MP because it doesn't speed things THAT much. Or rather, it does most of the time, but not the 1 time in 10 (usually the most critical!) that it slips out of your fingers.

Tashi delek,

Roger

Old 04-19-2009   #66
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
One of my M2s has a rewind crank on it, and has had for decades. It's a modest convenience, but I've not bothered to transfer it to my MP because it doesn't speed things THAT much. Or rather, it does most of the time, but not the 1 time in 10 (usually the most critical!) that it slips out of your fingers.

Tashi delek,

Roger
Roger, I've encountered this myself, but you're the first person I've heard mention it. I don't find the crank on my M6 TTL much faster (if any) that the post on my MP. And my fingers have never slipped on the post. Plus, I've often wonder about breaking the crank on my M6 TTL when I'm frantically trying to use it to it's "advantage". Maybe it would never happen, but the thought always crosses my mind that someday...

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Faster without crank
Old 01-21-2013   #67
alfredian

Faster without crank

The M3-style rewind on the MP is, for me, much faster than the little teensy crank thingy. I have big paws, now arthritic, and every camera since my first SRT101 with a crank handle is a dinky pain. The only one I actually like is the one on the M4/M4-P - because they are angled they don't dig into my left palm. Only minus of M3/MP style is the knurled knob digging into my palm. Add a crank and it would only slow my down and make me, yes, cranky.

Old 01-21-2013   #68
Landberg

It really isn't that hard to rewind with the knob.

Old 01-21-2013   #69
barnwulf

I bought Leica rewind crank for my MP thought it would be a great improvement over the knob, but I tried it for a few rolls and it seemed to slip out of my fingers a little too much. I didn't find it all that much faster so I took it off. - jim

Old 01-21-2013   #70
nobbylon

I know this is an old thread but I'll comment anyway. I believe the original idea of these cranks was for PJ's in the 50's and 60's to change film quicker and also for cold weather use. Today I can't see that it serves any purpose other than wanting to look like a Magnum shooters camera. Why does film need to be changed that quickly now? Back then yes I can understand as they were on the job but unless you are using your M to shoot sports or cover an interview then no, I don't think so. I thought M photography these days was about slowing things down and allowing those creative juices to flow freely! I liked using the post style rewinds as a kind of photography ritual, rather like making a proper cup of espresso with a Bialetti pot or rolling a cigarette and lighting it with a tinder box! Slowing things down a little to enjoy the process.
I save the speed for motorised Nikons.
The downside to them from my point of view is that they could get snagged on something or if the camera is dropped it could perhaps bend the top plate around the rewind shaft. My preferred way to rewind was always to hold the camera in left hand with my left thumb on the uplifted rewind shaft to stop it slipping back and then rewinding with the right hand finger and thumb. Pure mental 'slow down' therapy!

Old 01-21-2013   #71
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I just clicked on the link found on the first few posts of this thread and discovered how much price for this accessory has risen.

I will stick to my stock rewind knob of my M2.

Old 01-21-2013   #72
paradoxbox

i just rotate both the knob and the camera at the same time to make winding go a little faster.

Old 01-21-2013   #73
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Some of us still shoot our film M bodies for real work and the standard shaft is painfully slow to rewind.
I've had a Wasserman on my M2 for about 12 years now and couldn't live without it.

Old 01-22-2013   #74
Richard G

I wonder now many M2 and M3 owners have experienced the rotating knob rewind mechanism working exactly as it was designed, including the clutch mechanism to prevent it slipping back between contacts of the thumb and index finger. I had my M2 for almost thirty years before it was serviced by an expert, born and trained in Wetzlar, after which the mechanism was so much easier to use. I have no need of the extra device.

Old 01-22-2013   #75
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I've got one stuck on an MP (that one you sold me forever ago nobbylon, with the repainted top surface). Had one on my MP3 but not any more. I can go either way. Slightly faster sure, but hurts my delicate fingers in the cold.

I have one MP with a slipping clutch, the others are fine, and vastly easier to rewind. Not annoying enough to be without it for long enough for it to be fixed.

Old 01-25-2013   #76
Spicy

they're tremendously ugly...

Old 01-28-2013   #77
unixrevolution

I hated the knob on my M2 until I found out the right way to rewind film in a Knobby Leica:

1. Press the rewind button (My M2 is a button rewind.)

2. Lift the rewind knob, and grasp it firmly.

3. Twirl the camera in counterclockwise direction like a party noisemaker.

I've only dropped it 8 times doing this. Works well!

In all honesty though, I do prefer rewind cranks. But not enough to spend $100 on an add-on one.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 01-28-2013   #78
MrFujicaman

My used M3 came with a "Magnum" rewind crank. I've tried the camera with the crank and without it. I find that the crank speeds up the rewinding/reloading process quite a bit.

However, I wouuldn't have paid $100 for it...I might have got $40 or so, but not $100.