Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 11-18-2010   #161
semordnilap

Could one fit an m and a rolleiflex together in the top of the Domke F5XC? I have a B and it's too tight for the rollei...

With my B I can fit M8 w/ 28 cron, 50 lux, 90 elmarit, and one or two wides (15 & sometimes 21 cv, or 40 cron), with the two smaller lenses attached in a double rear-cap: I superglued two rear caps together to not have any problems with the rear elements. Obviously if I'm carrying less it never feels too empty. But I can fit all this plus 2 spare batteries, finders, hakuba 8-card case, and 1.25 mag, which I never know why I bring because I never use it! Tight but it works... the double rear-cap is key.

flickr

Old 11-18-2010   #162
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

I went Al-Kaplan style and bought a Swedish gas mask bag to dump my gear into. Yep that's right, BP M3 and all.

I toss five boxed rolls of film on the bottom, then my IIIa-SCNOO camera with lens, a synthetic cloth on that, and the M3 with lens topside. Leave the strap hanging out so I can snag it quickly whenever I need. Everything really sags into place and does not shift around in there.

Meter and a spare lens are in the coat pocket.

All in all three lenses, two bodies, a light meter, five rolls of film and a cleaning cloth in one small bag that looks old and shabby. And because I carry it close the the body, there's no bumping and denting at all so I'm pretty sure this is as safe as a big, padded Billingham.

What's not to like?

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-08-2010   #163
dave lackey

Hmmmm...Johan, would love to see a photo of that gas mask bag!

Dave

Old 12-09-2010   #164
Rogier
Rogier Willems

This saddlebackleather bag might be a sturdy alternative.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/cat...Medium-Tobacco

Rogier Willems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogierwillems/

http://www.scooter-it.com

Bags, you've gotta love em
Old 01-02-2011   #165
RollingBall

Bags, you've gotta love em

Although not strictly my camera bag when shooting, this is an interesting bag I picked up in an Army surplus shop in China. It reminds me a little of the Lowepro Passport Sling except it has obvious differences.
Its a very accessible bag, as you can lie it down and after pulling the zip back, you can get to everything inside. It also has three square pockets on the front, two slim hidden pockets on each side and another hidden pocket inside. I'll be using this as a camping bag as that's when I always need something from the bottom of the bag.
As someone who likes travelling light in general as well as when taking pictures, I think it's important a bag isn't covered in decals and labels.

I guess though the kind of bag dictates the way you shoot as well(or the other way around). HCB as far as I know didn't carry one, moved lightly and take fewer pictures than for example Garry Winogrand who in that youtube video seems weighed down by his bag, but then again he didn't need to move lots to get the pictures he wanted.
There's no perfect bag as we are all different consumers with different needs and wants.

Last edited by RollingBall : 01-26-2011 at 08:51. Reason: edit

Old 01-24-2011   #166
biakalt
Long Tran

has anyone came across this Billingham Director? i found it's a perfect bag when travelling on a long trip. it carries a MB pro 15", 2 Leica Ms + 3 lenses, plenty of films, a slot for magazine/book/maps.

and yes, Hadley Pro rocks!

flickr

Old 01-24-2011   #167
porktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnotalex View Post
Currently using a Skip Hop baby changing bag. Loads of pockets, hard wearing, tall rather than wide so comfortable to carry, and you can fit an ipad perfectly in the back pocket.
Also, nobody's going to steal a diaper bag!!

Cheaper than the Billingham alternative... YMMV
Alex
i have a diaperdude diaper bag. they're awesome for cameras.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Tool Bags
Old 02-01-2011   #168
Denton

Tool Bags

Probably not too cool, but for portrait sessions on location I use a largish AWP tool bag from Lowes. These swallow everything and the lack of divider allows me to configure at will. I wrap fragile items in either chamois or fabric covered foam. They are cheap enough to not worry and I don't worry as much about theft. No client has ever complained! I doubt they notice.

Otherwise, I like Domke bags.

Old 02-01-2011   #169
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

Just received my Courierware incognito extra small bag yesterday.
Have to say I am liking it so far. All it needs now is a field test.
Will try to post my experience with it when I have some time.

Old 02-01-2011   #170
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
Hope it works out for you. I've got two Courierware bags that are holding up very well. Incredibly well built, and I like the fact that the material is so water resistent.

Me on flickr.

Old 02-01-2011   #171
snausages

Love the Lowepro "Exchange Messenger" for a cheap, easy, medium-small bag with a long strap and inconspicuous looks.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...er,2189,20.htm

Old 02-01-2011   #172
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I have the Hadley Pro, and wonder how "breaking it in" works. The insert is stiff. I want the bag to curve and shape to my hip (at least a little). All pics of the bag show it as remaining in full "square" mode when in use. Do these really break in? Can the insert be run through the washer or something to speed the process? Should the top flap be cut off? Should a different insert be used?
I hate to give up on the bag because it gets so many votes for the perfect bag.

I've had my Hadley Pro for around 10 years I think, carried it all round Europe most weeks while away working and it still looks new. The leather edged seams are a bit scuffed and it has a small stain were a friend managed to knock a hot candle (big one) all over it. I just let the wax cool and peeled it off. The inserts dictate the shape so if you go for thinner inserts you may get the shape you like but loose safety for your gear.

I've recently bought a 445 Billingham to carry the Nikon kit. Nice bag and I expect it wont look much different in 10 years either.

Billinghams are the perfect bag!

Old 02-01-2011   #173
Vilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuca View Post
for me Domke F6 is the perfection bag
yaaa, only my F2 is perfecter!

Old 02-01-2011   #174
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausages View Post
Love the Lowepro "Exchange Messenger" for a cheap, easy, medium-small bag with a long strap and inconspicuous looks.

and if you open up the outside pocket (cut the threads in the middle) it will hold an ipad.

Old 02-01-2011   #175
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
what are you putting in it?

Old 02-01-2011   #176
andredossantos

I'm actually delighted with my recent bag purchase. It's the Incase sling. It's funny because I usually do not like slings. Anyway, this bag fits a variety of different set ups yet is slim and not too large or clumsy. Nice bag!

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl58032/

Website

Flickr

Old 02-08-2011   #177
alistair.o

I feel Joe's pain regarding the perfect bag. I am very happy with my Domke F2 but thought that I would like a separate smaller bag i.e. one lens, one body (and bits) for street and carrying around. I opted for a Domke F803 and bought an extra insert for it also

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...tchel/p1013941

So, after 2 weeks I am still trying to sort out this bag! It's right and at the same time it's not quite fitting the bill (thus far).

As far as quality goes. it's excellent. As far as room... just that little bit more width and it would be perfect. I'm just a 'big girl's blouse' when it comes to this bag - I must have packed and unpacked it 15/20 times trying for perfection.

Al

Old 03-12-2011   #178
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines

There's a bag (item 290540058814) being offered on eBay right now for $11.99 including shipping that's pretty well-suited for carrying the longer lenses in the Olympus Pen SLR system. I just got one and it gives you a couple of compartments to hold the 50-90mm zoom and the 150mm lenses, a couple of shorter lenses (you can stack one on top of the other if you leave them in the cases) plus some filters, film and a small flash in the pockets, etc. Even has a nice little pocket in the top flap to hold your business card.

Last edited by DanOnRoute66 : 03-12-2011 at 10:42.

Old 03-12-2011   #179
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepright View Post

There can be only one.

Wim

Old 03-12-2011   #180
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair.o View Post
I feel Joe's pain regarding the perfect bag. I am very happy with my Domke F2 but thought that I would like a separate smaller bag i.e. one lens, one body (and bits) for street and carrying around. I opted for a Domke F803 and bought an extra insert for it also

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...tchel/p1013941

So, after 2 weeks I am still trying to sort out this bag! It's right and at the same time it's not quite fitting the bill (thus far).

As far as quality goes. it's excellent. As far as room... just that little bit more width and it would be perfect. I'm just a 'big girl's blouse' when it comes to this bag - I must have packed and unpacked it 15/20 times trying for perfection.

Al
I'm not knocking your choice (I have one of Domke's reporter's satchels myself); I'm just amused as to how it's promoted as something that "doesn't shout cameras." Yeah, it just shouts, "laptop!" Which is another way of shouting, "Steal me!"

Old 03-12-2011   #181
dfoo

The F803 will hold an Ipad right? What I really want is a bag that will carry:
- Two M bodies, 4 lenses (2 on the cameras, 2 alternate).
- Small meter, 10 rolls of film.
- iPad
- Keys, Wallet, keys, note book, map.

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 03-13-2011   #182
dfoo

^ so does the F803 meet that criteria or not?

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 03-13-2011   #183
back alley
IMAGES

ipad fits in outer pocket but sticks out a bit, the rest fits ok.

Old 03-13-2011   #184
keepright
matthew

I saw a Domke F803 'in the wild' for the first time last week, and it looks like a decent little bag.

(But I bought an 11" Macbook Air because it fits perfectly behind the insert in my Billingham Hadley Pro.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibeerr View Post
There can be only one.

Old 03-13-2011   #185
Out to Lunch

Another vote for the Lowepro Messenger: lightweight, inconspicuous, very affordable, waterproof and molds with the body: http://products.lowepro.com/product/...er,2189,20.htm

Old 03-14-2011   #186
kuvvy

Bob and dfoo, I second backalley in that the F-803 will fit your gear. I myself have one thinking it would be the last bag I ever bought (stupid eh?) I rarely use it. A bit difficult to explain why but it just doesn't work for me and I often chose another bag. I know other photogs who like the bag and won't use anything else.
I have a Hadley Original, a Bare Bones Bag (the original), a Domke F-5xb and the F-803, two Terraclime 100s and last week got myself the Exchange Messenger which I still have to give an outing.
Oddly it's both the Domkes which don't get used. The Hadley is used mainly as a travel bag or when I need to carry more stuff. The BBB is my camera / manbag when out with a compact / small RF plus personal stuff. I use the Terraclime as my daybag, small and carries much the same stuff as the BBB.
Hope I haven't put you both off the Domkes as they are well made bags and should last for ages butfor some reason they're not for me and I'll probably get round to selling them eventually.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-14-2011   #187
ampguy

The variant, J803, 1/2" wider, and 1" higher (and longer?) will hold a small notebook like an 11" mba or ipad, but not a 13" mba. Also, less "European Murse" looking than a Hadley or A&A

It has extra sleeves for papers, both on the backside (not secure, no zipper, but good for quick things like maps, coupons, etc.), and also another letter size pocket between the camera area and two large zippered lens sized pockets. Also has a detachable strap.

However, these are deep vertically for RF's, so unless you are going to stack the bottoms with film or something, you have a lot of extra vertical room or will need more inserts than what you get, which is basically a moveable square camera/lens pocket that can be moved anywhere with velcro attachment at the top portion.

The Lowepro messengers would need extra padding, for my use, but they are cheap, often on sale at best buy for $20.

Last edited by ampguy : 03-14-2011 at 09:46.

Old 03-14-2011   #188
back alley
IMAGES

well, i broke down and ordered yet another bag last night, from b&h.
the domke f5xc...i like the bottom pocket that will hold 3 lenses for a quick grab. the main body of the bag holds 2 bodies with lenses attached. the 'post your photos of bags' thread has some good pics of it in action.

Old 03-14-2011   #189
PatrickT
New Rangefinder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausages View Post

I was just going to mention this. It's the bag I currently use. Fits my Leica, Rolleiflex and film (and could fit more if necessary). It's VERY light, molds to your body well and best of all...it's CHEAP. I got my black one from ebay and it was something like $25

Old 03-14-2011   #190
ped
Small brown dog

I was messing with my DSLR just now and snapped these pics of my bag. Been using it a while now (think I posted about it here) and I'm really happy. It has a far chunk of foam in the base of each section ('L'shaped on the left to support lens) and haold the other body in the right hand section. I'm pretty settled on the R-D1 and M4P and love them both with my 28mm lens, so I carry both bodies.

Cheers
ped