Is M-Е 240 more robust than M10?
Old 11-25-2019   #1
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Is M-Е 240 more robust than M10?

For some odd reason my impression is. M240 series have weather sealing and bigger battery. Something I would like to have once every winter comes.

Old 11-25-2019   #2
icebear

M10 as well:
https://us.leica-camera.com/Photogra...ca-M10/Details

quote: [Thanks to components machined from solid brass, the high strength of the M-10’s full-metal, magnesium alloy chassis and scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass, is built to effortlessly resist the adversities of everyday life guaranteeing enduring pleasure to the photographers. Further protection against light showers, dust and bad weather is provided by special rubber seals.]

Battery: yes, smaller in the M10 but the body is smaller than the M240, something's gotta give

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 11-25-2019   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

I have had an M240 for about 8 months, and it worked flawlessly each time I used it. It just felt "too large" and it did not look beautiful either. It was a workhorse.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-25-2019   #4
DRSummi

Fully agree with Raid’s observations about the M240. I held one for closer to 8 minutes and found it too bulky and awkward. I had a flashback to around this time in 1971 when I bought and returned the M5. I become a better Leica photographer when the body and lens approaches the ergonomics of the M2/3/4 with the 35 or 50 Summicron.

Old 11-25-2019   #5
jarski

I doubt its more robust. Bigger battery is nice bonus though.

If thicker digital Ms cause pimples to someone, M10 is available, for a price

Old 11-25-2019   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I currently use eleven dollars half case on M-E, must be same size with M240.
Switching between M-E in this half-case and just M4-2 all the time. No issues.
M4-2 is real workhorse, but M-E, it’s batteries just can’t last long in winter walk.
Tossing 5K camera in my go to bag for a week doesn’t feels as something I like.

Nor I need two digital M for color pictures. Is Leica going to make, sell new M-E for couple of years, just like with first M-E?

Old 11-26-2019   #7
jarski

Ko.Fe dont think your old case will fit M240 series. screen dimensions and button layout is different than in M8/9/M-E.

M240 battery is lot better than those old models, although if bought new, still quite pricey (like older Leica brand batteries).

Leica jpeg engine is not too far apart from older CCD models to modern CMOS models.

I got my little used M240 recently for 2300eur, prices have dropped quite nicely. its still my most expensive camera to date, and took long time to commit purchase.

Old 11-26-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thank you for JPEG1 info. I like JPEG1 SOOC, including M-E.

I’m not going to fit eleven dollars half case on M240, which was previously on M-E.
I will be able to afford another eleven dollars half case

Old 11-26-2019   #9
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I will be able to afford another eleven dollars half case
check also what Luigi has to offer

Old 11-26-2019   #10
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Speaking of M-10's, is the M10-D the only one with the fake shutter lever for a thumb stop?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 11-26-2019   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The M240 is essentially the same size as the M9/M-E: my M-P 240 fit right into the M9 half case. But the controls and screen don't align correctly, so a new half case cut properly for the M240 is needed. The M240 is a tiny smidge heavier than the M9/M-D due to the larger, FAR more robust battery. I hardly noticed the difference. It's also a much more responsive camera, with better high ISO performance, weather sealing, etc etc. The JPEG files on the M240 are much more neutral and usable to my eye ... I disliked the look of the JPEGs on the M9 and simply turned them off entirely.

To me there's simply no comparison. I wouldn't touch another M9/M-E. I'd buy another M240 happily, although I'm now more likely—if I go down the digital M route again—to buy an M10-D. It's doubtful I will because the CL body works better for me overall, and for larger sensor/more pixels I've decided on a different route for the present.

(A CL2 with weather sealing would be nice; whether it's worth the upgrade cost is another question. If they also added the addition of a wired remote release port, I'd put an order in the day they announce it... That's the one thing that's missing on the CL for my use. )

G

Old 11-26-2019   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Speaking of M-10's, is the M10-D the only one with the fake shutter lever for a thumb stop?
Yes. Not something I'm much of a fan of either.

Old 11-26-2019   #13
BillBlackwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
For some odd reason my impression is. M240 series have weather sealing and bigger battery. Something I would like to have once every winter comes.
All variants of the M10 have gorilla glass covering the LCD monitor, while the M-P 240 has sapphire glass (substantially more durable). The M-P 240 is the only Leica [to date] to have sapphire glass! OTOH, weather sealing is better on the M10 (all variants). I shot the M-P 240 for over three years and found it to be a tank. Time will tell on the M10, but my current impression is that, overall, durability is about the same between them.

Old 11-26-2019   #14
Huss

Unless the lenses - which are worth much more than the body - are weather sealed the point is moot.

Leica digital bodies are disposable. The lenses are forever.

Old 11-26-2019   #15
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Yes, but there is always the Epson R-D1, if you like that on a digital camera... - I love the R-D1 for that reason (and many more), and because the lever has a real purpose.

My other Digi-RF is a M10, and my impression is, that although it is lighter than my previous M240, it is much better build and more robust. If I had to choose, which one I'd use in the rain and bad weather I would choose the M10.

Old 11-26-2019   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Unless the lenses - which are worth much more than the body - are weather sealed the point is moot.

Leica digital bodies are disposable. The lenses are forever.
Solid statement! But .

My only worthy Leica lens is Summarit-M 35 2.5, which was something like 1200 USD new.

RF lenses have no electronics on them. Nothing which could get shortened. And they are not wide open to the water. I had used Jupiter-3 under rain, it is OK.

Also, some of Leitz lenses are not even life time trouble free. Even made in eighties lenses have separation issues. Might sounds fixable, but not in these days.

Old 11-26-2019   #17
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
...The M-P 240 is the only Leica [to date] to have sapphire glass! ...
M8.2 has it also.

Old 11-26-2019   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
M8.2 has it also.
Yep! Sometimes I miss my M8.2. I especially miss its finder frames, which were not undersized like some other recent Leicas.

Old 11-26-2019   #19
Gadfly21

I sure hope the M-E 240 is more robust...however I had to send in mine for repair; the shutter was exposing only half the frame after about 4k actuations.

Good thing it's under warranty, and I have an M6 and IIIf as backup. Hopefully it was just in a bad batch.

Old 11-27-2019   #20
Henry

The weather sealing on the M240-series cameras seems optimistic at best. I've used an M240 in the rain and it made me nervous. I think anything more than a light drizzle and I'd not do it again (water was visible under the bottom plate, with no obvious way to make sure that doesn't happen w/o adding my own sealing).

For heavy rain I think you will just always be better brining something designed with the intention of being used in that sort of weather. A mainline dSLR outdoor camera from Nikon or Canon is usually what I go with.

Old 11-27-2019   #21
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schimke View Post
The weather sealing on the M240-series cameras seems optimistic at best. I've used an M240 in the rain and it made me nervous. I think anything more than a light drizzle and I'd not do it again (water was visible under the bottom plate, with no obvious way to make sure that doesn't happen w/o adding my own sealing).

For heavy rain I think you will just always be better brining something designed with the intention of being used in that sort of weather. A mainline dSLR outdoor camera from Nikon or Canon is usually what I go with.
The lenses are not sealed too.

I remember Leica claiming the mount is sealed since it has a tight fit...well good luck with that.