Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-06-2019   #41
taskoni

The 1964 M2 with the DR Summicron

Old 10-06-2019   #42
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Black Nikon F, plain prism, body bought used for $75.00 in 1972.
It and an FTn added later were my main cameras until I bought an F100 in 2000(?). Thousands of rolls went thru that F tho not anywhere near Garry Winogrand territory.

Only film camera I still own is that original straight F. Post-digital dawn it sat unused until a few years ago when I did a job for the Texas Historical Commission which insisted I use film(!)

Digital---two Fuji X Pro2's purchased as soon as Fuji released them and which I plan keeping forever....maybe 30,000 clicks combined. (wild guess)

Bunch of Nikon and Fuji X digital stuff
introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 10-06-2019   #43
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
I DO have my very first camera, probably got it about 1962 or so when I was 7. It’s a Herco Imperial 620 plastic box camera. Carrying that thing by its little strap always seemed awkward to me. Best photo.....1968 class trip to NYC. . We were waiting to board a boat to go to the Statue of Liberty on a rainy day inside a building. I noticed the brilliant reflection of the lights on the bald head of Mr. Spragg, the principle of the school. Great Photo!!
Man, I love that! You had the camera, and you had the eye even back then. I have a few images of highlights on bald heads, hahaha!

Perhaps my first camera was a 110 cassette Kodak Brownie, or it could have been a Keystone XR33. I didn't use either one very much. The only photos I have from either of those cameras was only developed in the last five years, after I found the Keystone buried in a box of stuff. It held images from when I was not even a teenager, photos of my best friend at the time, and our old house. But it obviously wasn't used since the early 80s.

Old 10-06-2019   #44
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

Longest owned, mamiya c-330f purchased new by me for my 23rd birthday in 1982. Hundreds of rolls through it but not thousands.It was my primary camera until 1994 or so, and used with varying frequency since then. I used it for a project leading up to my 60th birthday earlier this year. these days, I am more likely to use the hasselblad for 6x6, but the mamiya still gets use, especially if weather might be a factor, or if the hassy just looks too expensive.

Old 10-06-2019   #45
bayernfan

6 years with my trusty M2. The slow speeds are getting stickier, but I rarely if ever use them. Funny thing, when the camera is upside down, the slow speeds work just fine. That tricky little escapement mechanism is picky about camera orientation.

Old 10-06-2019   #46
Axel

About 25 years with the Agfa Optima, over 20 years Leica M6 and 13 years Fuji S20Pro until today.

Old 10-06-2019   #47
Steve_Pfost

My longest and most used camera is my Nikon D700. There is sentimental connection between that camera and I. As I'm sure most of you have with a certain camera.

I'll never forget the day I convinced my parents to allow me to purchase it new from the local camera shop in 2008. I was a proud owner and couldn't wait to set my eyes through it. That camera got me through photojournalism school. It photographed my grandparents alive, and my grandparents deaths. It was with me when I chased my first (and only tornado) while at the Dallas Morning News. It captured moments throughout the years with my family. It got me my first job freelancing after it worked with me through my internships. I even used it when I finally got hired as staff 7 years later. Countless stories, countless moments, joyous and tragic, have been seen through the lenses attached to it. I brought it on assignment across the world to Africa and again to Thailand. Not to mention road trips across the US.

It has always been there by my side. When my wife went into labor I packed the photo bags with my expensive and treasured Leica M4, my fuji x-pro 2, and my D700. I made sure I photographed my daughter with it the moment she arrived on earth.

One day I'll hope to pass it on down to her, or one of my future children, explaining to them the sights it has seen and how through its sensor it captured such memorable moments created by their great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, and them. That camera has become a part of me.

Film wise, I love my black chrome M4. She's a beaut. I've run about 200 rolls through it since getting back into film a couple years ago. Best camera Leica ever made hands down.

Old 10-07-2019   #48
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
About 25 years with the Agfa Optima, over 20 years Leica M6 and 13 years Fuji s20Pro until today.

Agfa Optima? Wow. Which one did/do you have, and what kinds of things did you shoot with it? What about the M6?

Old 10-07-2019   #49
RichC

18 months...

That's for my main, everyday camera - a Sony A7R II. If I had the money, it'd be gone today, replaced by the A7R IV!

Photography is all about the image for me. So I treat cameras as tools, and are therefore regularly replaced when they become obsolete - which may simply be because I can afford a better one, or perhaps to match how I take photos more closely.

The camera I've owned the longest is a Mamiya M645 film camera - for about 5 years. I also haven't used it for 5 years!*

(*I've given up film this year, so this camera will be sold - a practical decision. I like film - you can't replicate the colours of Portra in digital, and prints of film and digital images look different. To be honest, I prefer prints of photos taken with film over digital ones. But digital is so much more practical - faster, cheaper, more user friendly... I keep meaning to do a project using film again, but always end up using my digital camera.

This year I faced up to the fact that I will never use a film camera again. The difference between the appearance of digital and film prints is outweighed by convenience.)

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-07-2019   #50
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Pfost View Post

I'll never forget the day I convinced my parents to allow me to purchase it new from the local camera shop in 2008. I was a proud owner and couldn't wait to set my eyes through it. That camera got me through photojournalism school. It photographed my grandparents alive, and my grandparents deaths. It was with me when I chased my first (and only tornado) while at the Dallas Morning News. It captured moments throughout the years with my family. It got me my first job freelancing after it worked with me through my internships. I even used it when I finally got hired as staff 7 years later. Countless stories, countless moments, joyous and tragic, have been seen through the lenses attached to it. I brought it on assignment across the world to Africa and again to Thailand. Not to mention road trips across the US.

It has always been there by my side. When my wife went into labor I packed the photo bags with my expensive and treasured Leica M4, my fuji x-pro 2, and my D700. I made sure I photographed my daughter with it the moment she arrived on earth.

One day I'll hope to pass it on down to her, or one of my future children, explaining to them the sights it has seen and how through its sensor it captured such memorable moments created by their great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, and them. That camera has become a part of me.

Film wise, I love my black chrome M4. She's a beaut. I've run about 200 rolls through it since getting back into film a couple years ago. Best camera Leica ever made hands down.

This is a lovely story, exactly the kind that I didn't expect to read in this thread, but it's so pleasing that they are turning up. On DPReview, there was a woman who's husband was an avid photographer. She was pregnant, but sadly, he had terminal cancer. They bought a D700 with either a 35mm or 25-70 lens, and he set it up for his wife so she could document their child after he was gone. I wish I could find that thread.

Old 10-07-2019   #51
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Pfost View Post
My longest and most used camera is my Nikon D700. There is sentimental connection between that camera and I. As I'm sure most of you have with a certain camera.

It's wonderful that you have a single camera that has been there with you for so many memorable events and times. I bought my Leica M9 with that intention, although I have shot family and friends notable events with other cameras, too. My Canon S70 and Fuji Natura Black film compact shot my grandfather, and my Canon 30D and Fuji F30 were there to shoot my grandfather's funeral only a short year after.

My M9 shot my maternal grandmother through several birthdays, Christmases and family events until her passing, and it shot at her funeral, too. M9 has been overseas and interstate, on a once in a lifetime trip to Japan with one of my closest friends (who is messaging me even as I type) and rocked the streets of Hong Kong. It's shot national and professional athletes for promo and documentary work, and portraits of an actress. Taking my M9 on an important engagement gives me a sense of security in knowing I've got the best image quality and character of all the gear I have.

Old 10-07-2019   #52
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Agfa Optima? Wow. Which one did/do you have, and what kinds of things did you shoot with it? What about the M6?

It was an Optima Sensor 500 and I shot all I could with it
Few pictures with cubeflashs in the early 70s but most point&shoot and don´t care. The M6 was, and I think it would be today, the best camera to deal with the light.

The workflow of taking a time and aperture and sometimes have a look at the meter is still mine. But with the digitals there came so much easy things around the work after the picture is taken that I won´t go back to film.
I have all I need with EVFs and a couple of nice lenses to get my pics like I want.

Old 10-08-2019   #53
skucera

My oldest camera is my Pentax Auto 110, that I got as a Christmas present in high school from my mom. I don't shoot it, or my other 110's, because my local camera shop couldn't fix the minilab that developed 110 film automatically, so they develop it by hand now, and their quality sucks compared to the old minilab. Too bad.

The camera I've used most is my Olympus XA, that I bought at a pawn shop in college. I used it for years for backpacking trips and for travel, and it's captured many more rolls than my beloved Auto 110. I gave it to my oldest daughter to replace her beloved but broken Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I've since gotten another.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 10-08-2019   #54
Graham Line

Probably the most used was an M2 I bought secondhand from Malone's in Dayton, OH in the early '70s and used steadily up until the late late '80s when it was passed on to someone desperate to own an M2.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 10-08-2019   #55
TenEleven

Longest used has to be my Minolta Autocord with a bit more than a decade on it, with the runners-up of Rolleiflex 2.8.

Old 10-25-2019   #56
robertofollia

Location: Laredo (northern Spain. Wide beach and nice weather -when it does not rain, you know-
My dearest camera is Praktica BX20 from 1989, bought in 1991 (it was my dream camera at the time), used for 3 years about 15-30 rolls each year.
REplaced in 1994 by a Contax S2, has had about 200-300 rolls, sent to service badly repaired 3 times due to out of focus pictures under f 5.6. Continuous use until 2016 when meter packed up. Was just a loose rivet under battery compartment. Now working again faultlessly at last due to a 3rd and final repair by a good repairman in the UK who finally fixed it (he told me the shutter unit and mirror housing were loose!)
From 2016 on, Zenit 122 from 1994 bought with dead meter for less than 20 usd with lens. Replaced leds and worked faultlessly since then. Has received endless knocks, even has fallen from a bicycle on the road (the transport bag broke). around 50 rolls since feb 2016 and still going strong

Digital, a trusty pentax i-10 which documents tinkering on my cars and other repairs, so it's always dirty. Going through 3rd display but still shooting. Dirty sensor but still works.
I still keep my 1st camera, a 1980 kodak instamatic 25, and nearly all of my cameras I had (the second one was an agfa optima 500 and the 3rd one a Canon Snappy 20. 4th one Praktica MTL5B, after that came a Canon AS-6, snd many others)
All of them work

Best regards

Old 10-25-2019   #57
curmudgeon

Longest used film camera: a Leica IIIc my father bought in 1945 and I started using about 8 years later.
Longest used digital camera: an iPhone I bought in 2017. (I don't have a "proper" digital camera.)

Old 10-25-2019   #58
Tom R

Leica M2 with a Summicron 35mm lens; used only this for nearly twenty years.

About twelve years ago, I picked up 2 M4-P bodies, and a 50mm Summicron and a 28mm Elmarit lens. This way, I never had to remove lenses and could quickly provision as I traveled extensively.

Finally, about five years ago I picked up a mint condition M8.2 because I needed the digital workflow for a while.

Of these, I could easily go back to the M2 with a pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron lens without giving it a second thought.

This is easy for me
Old 10-25-2019   #59
Tim Murphy

This is easy for me

Dear Archiver,

My oldest film camera is my Grandfather's Nikon FTN. When he purchased it new it was a Nikon F, and it had to be modified by Nikon USA to accept the FTN finder. As best as I can tell it's a late 1961 or early 1962 S/N.

I inherited it when he passed away in 1989. Early on I used it a lot as it was my only camera, and I took it with me everywhere. Today, if I squeeze a roll or two through it each year that's a lot. But I'll never part with it and I had both the camera and 5.8cm f1.4 Nikkor S lens refurbished in the last few years.

My oldest digital camera is an Olympus C-2020 that a friend gave me a long time ago. I still have a working smart card for it so I use it for 25 to 50 shots a year. For 2.1 Mpeg it still does a great job for pictures I want to post to the internet.

My most used older digital is a Canon EOS 1DMK2. I shoot mostly nature and wildlife pictures. I have several newer Canon cameras with greater resolution, but it just works no matter what I do with it. While it is only 8.1 Mpeg, and I can't use more than ISO 1250 with it and get an image that I can process due to noise, I still use it quite often. Paired with a Sigma 150-600 lens it nails focus with more accuracy than any other newer camera that I own. For that alone I find it difficult to part with.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 10-25-2019   #60
bhop73

I got my M6 in 2009. It's not the camera i've had the longest, but it's the one i've used the most. As far as how many rolls.. no idea.. i'd guess.. hmm.. 300-500? Averaging out an estimated 3 rolls per month. Give or take some rolls.. just a guess, could be wayyyyy off *shrug

Old 10-25-2019   #61
Pioneer

My most used 35mm is my Leica MA by a pretty good margin.

My most used medium format camera is the Rolleflex but my Ikoflex II will likely pass it by the end of the year since I have found that it is easier for me to focus without using the magnifier.

My top cameras over the past few years are -
  1. Leica MA - 35mm
  2. Wanderlust Travelwide - 4x5
  3. Rolleiflex Automat - 120
  4. Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex - 120
  5. Pentax K1000 - 35mm
  6. Zeiss Ikon ZM - 35mm
I own far too many cameras and use all of them to some extent but none come anywhere close to the amount of use that these six cameras do.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-25-2019   #62
Chris101
summicronia

That would have to be my OM-1n, bought new in 1983 with the 50mm f/3.5 Macro. Still have and use both (and I've even bought a few more lenses for it.)

Old 10-26-2019   #63
Archiver

Still loving all these stories! Thank you so much to everyone who has posted so far.

I'm a little envious of the people who have had cameras which lasted for over ten years of regular use. I have cameras older than that, but they only get used sporadically, if at all. As mentioned earlier, my longest running camera in regular use is my Leica M9, which at nine years and going, is well on its way to being my long term camera.

Old 10-26-2019   #64
mcfingon
Western Australia

Film camera: Leica M6, owned since 2016, with which I've shot 204 rolls.
Digital: Sony A7S, since 2014 and I don't know how many shots. Maybe 4,000?
What I like about the A7S is it can use the M series lenses too. The first DSLR Nikons I bought back in 2004 (D70) and then 2007 (D40) are still in the family with my daughter and son still using them. I used to own a Nikon FE2 when I was a newspaper photographer in the mid-80's and consider that the most reliable and usable film SLR that I ever operated. My son has an FE2 now, so he's keeping up the family tradition in that regard too.
John Mc

Old 10-26-2019   #65
Doug

My longest used camera would be the Leica M2 button-rewind I got used in 1967. I used a Pentax H3v before that but the one I have now is not the same one...

I still have my first digital camera, a Kodak/Chinon DC50 that cost me $990 in Mar 1996. And its sensor sports less than one megapixel!

Old 10-26-2019   #66
David Hughes
David Hughes

Leica CL bought secondhand with both 40 and 90mm lenses when the new ones were still on sale, so a long, long time ago.

Regards, David

Old 10-26-2019   #67
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Film: my camera with the longest period of use is my black Rollei 35SE. I have been shooting with it for 37 years (with a few interruptions) and it still works very well, even though Rollei 35s do look ugly when their paint or chrome wears out. I have now two more 35SE and two 35S as well, just because I find these little cameras fascinating...

Digital: I have a few digicams and DSLRs from the early 2000s that are still working (Canon Powershot S45, Pentax *ist D) but I cannot say I use them very often. The oldest digital camera that I still use regularly is a Sigma DP1. I bought one new in 2008, but it ceased to function early this year (lens not extending), so I bought another one on eBay because who needs more than 4.7 megapixels? (Have you ever wondered how many megapixels there are in a Van Gogh by the way? And in a Monet or Seurat?)

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 10-26-2019   #68
zenza

Bronica SQ-A bought in 2005 at the age of 16 after a summer of mowing lawns. Still my favourite camera to use.

Old 10-26-2019   #69
Larry Cloetta

A Contax 139Q, purchased when they were introduced in 1979, is my longest running, in continuous use, camera. Camera ownership started around 1956, with a Brownie, but the ones before ‘79 are long gone. I’ve certainly got older cameras which are in continuous use now, but I wasn’t the original owner. ( And, I do smile whenever I hear someone knock these as being either unreliable or unrepairable.)
So, 40 years for the 139Q, seemed like a lot to me, but it’s nothing compared to some of the stories here.

Digital bodies come and go starting around 30 years ago, but they don’t hang around long enough to get attached to them (with one exception, my remaining one of two Fuji S5 Pro bodies, owned since 2007, which, aside from it being aps-c and low Megapixel count, produces files, within its shooting envelope, which are unsurpassed in most ways and unequaled in other ways, even compared with my Leica SL, Sony RX1, or Nikon Z7. Amazing, unique, and sadly abandoned sensor tech on that thing.)

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-26-2019   #70
Out to Lunch

AD 2019, who'd actually care which camera anyone else has used for the longest time? What is the use of this information?

Old 10-26-2019   #71
Goodtimes

My longest used camera is the one my parents gave me in 1978 when I was 15 years old: Minolta SR-7 with a 58mm f1.4.
They bought it in South Africa when I was a very young kid in 1964.
I used it a lot for many years and it is still working fine with no dent and no wear sign since we always protected it very well.

The most used digital camera is my Leica M8.2.

Old 10-26-2019   #72
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
AD 2019, who'd actually care which camera anyone else has used for the longest time? What is the use of this information?
Many of these seem more like personal stories than gear stories, to me. Taken in that vein, none of this is of any “use”, but enjoyable just the same. I’m not very pragmatic, a fault which has allowed me to find much of this to be interesting.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-26-2019   #73
CharlesDAMorgan

My longest camera was the Pentax 67 with 300mm lens, 2x multipliers and two sets of macro tubes. Problem is, it rather sagged so was probably most ill used too.

As to used, I think my 1933 Leica III has had the most use but wears it well. I just wonder what it was used for in its first 12 years of life.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 10-26-2019   #74
Out to Lunch

Larry, I get it. My first camera...a Lubitel when I was 12. Prints to show for it but they're in a safe 16 hours flying away from where I am now. Cheers.

Old 10-26-2019   #75
ACullen

I’ve had my Contax 139Q since 1983 and Yashicamat 124 from around the same time. The 139q remains a frequently used camera the Yashicamat has been displaced largely by a Rolleiflex 3.5f I bought four years ago as I got back into film.

Last year the Rolleiflex and a Pentax Espio Mini were my most used cameras with an M2 close behind. This year it’ll be the M2 and a new to me Agfa Super Isolette. Next year different again....

Old 10-26-2019   #76
ozmoose

Longest owned? Hm...

A Rolleiflex 3.5E2 I bought new in 1966. Used a lot until about ten years ago. Serviced for the first and only time in 2001. Taken out and tested (winding, speeds checked etc etc) This thread is a kick in the pants for me, and I'll be taking it out in the very near future for a shoot.

Next, a pair of Nikkormat ELs I bought in the late 70s. Still working a new. I take them out of mothballs 1-2 times every year and shoot a roll of B&W film in each, to remind them that they are still loved. Alas, I've not processed any of these films since 2012. So!

Two Rolleiflex Ts I bought in the 1990s, equipped with 16 exposure kits, for use in my travels at the time. Very little used. Taken out and played with like the Nikkormats.

All this reminded me that it's time for me to get more into film again while I can, before it (and I) disappear from this avatar...

Digital, not so long ago. Two D700s, one bought (new) in 2012, another (used) in 2017. Both malfunctioning (gross overexposure) and unreliable. A Nikon Df (a gift to me in 2018). I bought a Nikon Z6 this year but had to return it three times to Nikon for servicing and the camera shop owner finally gave up and I was refunded.

I now wonder why I didn't keep the Nikon D90 I bought new in 2009 and sold last year to a friend who still uses it and produces superb imagery with it. Built to last. Which would make it 11 years old and still in use. The very best of the Nikon DX prosumers, I reckon.

We won't be writing any future posts like these about most digital cameras. They are, purely and simply, consumer products. You buy them, you use them for a while, they malfunction or die outright, you pitch them into the nearest trash can and you start the process again. Tools. Nothing much else.

So I've decided. No more digital Nikons for me. Life's too short and my aggravation levels over new camera gear sold for top dollar but defective, have risen to way above stratospheric cloud levels. Film is the way. While it lasts...

Old 10-26-2019   #77
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Since I have a lot of cameras, they tend to be used only a few times over a very long period of time. One camera that I used intensely though was an Edixa Prismaflex which I was constantly running film through from 2012 through 2016. I ran Agfa Precisa through it, almost exclusively, and when that film was discontinued I stopped using it. Its last real outing was when I took it with me to Japan and it developed a front-focusing issue, so now it's on the shelf.

I still have five or six rolls of Precisa I need to drop off...

Old 10-26-2019   #78
dmr
Registered Abuser

Probably the K1000.

I don't use it as much as before, lately preferring the MX or MG

It does need a good CLA if I start using it regularly again.

Old 10-26-2019   #79
George Mann

A Nikkormat FT2 since I was 7 ('75)

Old 10-26-2019   #80
Ccoppola82

My first real camera was a canon 6d which I still love using for certain things. My longest film camera is my grandfathers brassed black Spotmatic F which I will never get rid of.

Instagram
Coppola_Art