Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 01-19-2006   #41
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW
Woud anyone ever, even remotely, think of Frank as a curmudgeon??

Gene

*listens to the sounds of crickets*

Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 01-19-2006   #42
hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by copake_ham
Before we go all overboard would someone tell me what we will actually "miss" with K-M out of the business?
The Hexar RF in digital with anti-shake. Possible return of some nice well built Hexanon M lenses... Is it enough?

I have 5 Konica M lenses, so I am not in for shopping any more. The digital RF is a bigger problem to me. The Epson RD-1 does not really cut it for me, the coming Leica will be priced way up in the stratosphere. I see little hope...

Well, the only hope is that when the honeymoon is over for Zeiss Ikon, and the people interested in it have bought their bodies, sales will drop dramatically and they will make a quick entry into the digital market with a camera with an optical finder and traditional controls.

Come to think of it, how hard can it be to make a decent digital camera? It is amazing, there is only one that is half decent in the market (if you do not want use SLRs).

We also miss a reasonable big maker of film. Of 5 big makers (as I see it), we have now lost two, and Ilford was away for a while...

We also miss a big maker of scanners, luckily I have already bought my MF scanner so I feel rather safe for the moment.

Maybe I should keep my eyes open for closeout prices of the 7D and Konica film.

This was really bad news.

/Håkan

Old 01-19-2006   #43
jtzordon
clicking away

Sad indeed. Here's hoping Sony makes some winners for the Maxxum lenses. I've found them excellent. MUCH preferred to the equivalent Nikons I've used and seen, IMHO.

Check out my rangefinder project at http://jason-rfproject.blogspot.com/

and other photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonthomas/

Old 01-19-2006   #44
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth

We also miss a reasonable big maker of film. Of 5 big makers (as I see it), we have now lost two, and Ilford was away for a while...

We also miss a big maker of scanners, luckily I have already bought my MF scanner so I feel rather safe for the moment.

Maybe I should keep my eyes open for closeout prices of the 7D and Konica film.

This was really bad news.

/Håkan
Granted that if you are an owner of a K-M camera system you might have a problem. But K-M overall was never a dominant player in the business. And let's be realistic, for years there have been too many Japanese camera makers. During the SLR hey day in the '70's to '90's they were all able to survive - but a market shakeout has been long overdue.

As to K-M film, did they actually make it - or was it re-badged from someone else?

Only reason I ask is that here in US I've never seen it actually for sale at a film kiosk. It is listed in the B&H catalog (very small section on the page). The only time I ever used it was when I got a 27exp. roll as a throw-in from the film drop store after I had some prints developed.

Old 01-19-2006   #45
yossarian
-

If there's anything sadder than the demise of yet another historic photographic firm
it's some of the hostility directed at that firm. From the late '60s to early '70s two companies dominated the "popular" camera market--Pentax and Minolta. The SRTs
and Spotmatics battled it out for years with little significant impact from "the big two". From 1985 through 1988 Minolta owned the SLR market, by virtue of the Maxxum (admittedly, they did get the technology from Yashica/Contax, but that's another story). It would be very unhealthy for this to end up as nothing but Canon
vs Nikon. I have no loyalties to or prejudices against any camera manufacturers--I like them all. And one by one, as they've dropped by the wayside, Zeiss Ikon, Kowa,
Petri, Miranda, Rollei (temporarily), Praktica, et al, I never thought it was something to cheer about or gloat over.
Let's not forget that it took Nikon 11 years to update their meter-coupling system to
the type used by Minolta since 1966. And Canon fans--remember the T80?. The first Japanese SLR to hit the US market with a pentaprism and autodiaphragm operation was Miranda in 1955. (Yes, Pentax had a pentaprism, but pre-set diaphragm).
Canon is assuredly in the catbird seat now, and Nikon's profits have soared. But if
Sony and Panasonic get into the market full force, the "big two" may well be crushed
like bugs. That wouldn't be healthy, either.
Meanwhile, let's cross our fingers that Pentax holds on a while longer...

Old 01-19-2006   #46
GeneW

From all I've read, the Big Two in today's camera market are Canon and Sony, with Nikon a distant third. I hope Olympus and Pentax can survive.

Gene

Old 01-19-2006   #47
back alley
IMAGES

i dislike sony!

anyone here have their computer wrecked because of the spyware program sony had on their cd's and dvd's?
i don't like how they market or overprice their products.
i'll miss minolta, even konica minolta but i'll never buy sony!

Old 01-19-2006   #48
hth

Any Konica film lover that can shed some advice on what film in their range to stockpile? How do they compare to Fuji for example?

I had a look around for 120 film at the Konica-Minolta site yesterday, but they did not seem to have that. Is/was it available in 120?

I missed out on APX 100, ordered some 100 rolls and got none.. Will try to be more alert this time...

/Håkan

Old 01-19-2006   #49
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW
From all I've read, the Big Two in today's camera market are Canon and Sony, with Nikon a distant third. I hope Olympus and Pentax can survive.

Gene
Nikon's saving grace, actually I think there are two, is that they have focused very strongly on DSLRs and have the second largest market share in DSLRs. The DSLR market is currently the most profitable in the camera industy.

The other saving grace for them is that they are Nikon. More than any other name currently in the photography business, that name means something. In my opinion, there are photographers out there who will never ever use anything other than a Nikon. It is a very loyal crowd to whom Nikon serves with excellent products.

I actually think that loyalty to Nikon is so strong that Canon doesn't waist time discussing how to capture market share from Nikon. Canon is so big you would think that they would, but I think they just accept the competition that Nikon presents and worry themselves about everyone else.

Now Sony, there is a concern for Canon. Sony is the largest producer of image sensors in the world right? But they mostly produce CCD sensors. Canon produces their own CMOS sensors. That sets up some great competition. Competition is good for us. KM wasn't big enough anymore to contribute to this.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-19-2006   #50
Little Prince

Oh! I hope by brother doesn't hear of this. Very recently, he was looking for a DSLR and passed the decision making task to me. Upon my express recommendation, he bought a Maxxum 5D. I was more impressed by that camera than any others in the sub $1K range (barring the 7D). I wasn't very happy with their lens options, disliking crop factors and paying for a 17-35 to get a 25-50, and was hoping to see some new digital primes or other lenses come up. Now that's not going to happen, or is there a chance Sony will take up the Maxxum digital series?

I did like Minolta and Konica and KM was okay too, but I dislike Sony on the whole. It's like what Joe said. Besides I'm afraid even if they do develop some stuff it will be crap designed to send the yuppies into fits of frenzy. This is all conjuring up distasteful images in my mind.

KM also offered a nice line of scanners, providing a mid-cost option between flatbeds and pricey Nikon scanners. I bought a Scan Multi that I hope won't be needing service any time soon.

Oh well...

Old 01-19-2006   #51
Designer
Keven

Don't know if the future logotype could be something like SonyKonicaMinlota.........................! That's too long!

Old 01-19-2006   #52
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian
If there's anything sadder than the demise of yet another historic photographic firm
it's some of the hostility directed at that firm. From the late '60s to early '70s two companies dominated the "popular" camera market--Pentax and Minolta. The SRTs
and Spotmatics battled it out for years with little significant impact from "the big two". From 1985 through 1988 Minolta owned the SLR market, by virtue of the Maxxum (admittedly, they did get the technology from Yashica/Contax, but that's another story). It would be very unhealthy for this to end up as nothing but Canon
vs Nikon. I have no loyalties to or prejudices against any camera manufacturers--I like them all. And one by one, as they've dropped by the wayside, Zeiss Ikon, Kowa,
Petri, Miranda, Rollei (temporarily), Praktica, et al, I never thought it was something to cheer about or gloat over.
Let's not forget that it took Nikon 11 years to update their meter-coupling system to
the type used by Minolta since 1966. And Canon fans--remember the T80?. The first Japanese SLR to hit the US market with a pentaprism and autodiaphragm operation was Miranda in 1955. (Yes, Pentax had a pentaprism, but pre-set diaphragm).
Canon is assuredly in the catbird seat now, and Nikon's profits have soared. But if
Sony and Panasonic get into the market full force, the "big two" may well be crushed
like bugs. That wouldn't be healthy, either.
Meanwhile, let's cross our fingers that Pentax holds on a while longer...

Recognizing and criticiszing poor businees strategy is not hostility. Neither Konica nor Minolta were ever seen as "top of the line" camera producers even during the SLR hey day. They always marketed their products as lower-cost alternatives to Nikon and Canon that were "almost as good".

So long as there was a huge and growing SLR market - they were able to do well. And both of them were able to leverage into other optical business lines such as copiers and, at least with Konica, a disasterous foray into medical imaging.

With the decline in demand for film-based SLRs it is obvious that not all of the tranditional firms can survive. Add to that the entry of electronic giants such as Sony, Panasonic and now, Samsung etc. into the digital camera market and it is clear that a major market shakeout and realignment is taking place.

As I Nikon user I dearly hope that rover (see above) is correct - and I think his analysis is very good. But it is going to be difficult for a narrow-product company like Nikon to stay competitive since innovation will drive the marketplace and that is a very costly endeavor. It may well turn out that Nikon will ultimately become acquired by someone like Epson (with whom they have done some joint marketing) or Panasonic etc. and survive as the "luxury mark" similar to Lexus within Toyota.

I'm sorry if a hard business analysis offends some here - but working in finance, it is how I am trained to analyze information such as K-M's announcement.

Old 01-19-2006   #53
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Oh friggin' great.

Anybody interested in buying a Konica Minolta Dual Scan IV scanner?

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-19-2006   #54
yossarian
-

I just hope we don't see the day when Nikon is in the same shape Leica is now.

Old 01-19-2006   #55
rover

Nikon remains at the cutting edge of "imaging" (that hurts) technology. Their cameras are state of the art, their market share is significant, and they are competitively priced (Leica's biggest mistake). I think I will be correct to say that they are profitable. They are a "little" fish compared to Sony and Canon, but they have always been so. Again, this hurts, but their discontinuation of film cameras actually is a strong position for them to take, again an action to focus on the profitable portion of their business.

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-19-2006   #56
sockeyed

We should all be sad to hear of the demise of the companies behind the Leitz-Minolta CL, the Minolta CLE, and the Hexars AF and RF. I am.

Sockeyed Photo

Flickr

My Gallery

Old 01-19-2006   #57
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
I just hope we don't see the day when Nikon is in the same shape Leica is now.
Actually nobody knows what shape Leica is in (except themselves,one should hope). They seemed to be on the way back to profits in the last half-year report and the next one is due within a few weeks and should tell us more. So what exactly are you trying to say? If you mean the shape of the camera's, I prefer Leica.

jaapvphotography

Old 01-19-2006   #58
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockeyed
We should all be sad to hear of the demise of the companies behind the Leitz-Minolta CL, the Minolta CLE, and the Hexars AF and RF. I am.
And don't forget the Leica R3 and R4-5-6-7 series. Minolta-based.

jaapvphotography

Old 01-19-2006   #59
taffer
void

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockeyed
Even the voigtlander name was once dead and look at it now, who knows...

Old 01-19-2006   #60
Roger S.

This is disappointing as I was planning to buy a KM DSLR next. I still may, especially if prices drop because of the announcement.

I do hope Sony takes the design and lens mount and runs with it, because they have a strong consumer line, and could benefit from a pro/prosumer SLR line. Their marketing resources and name recognition could make them a force...

Even if KM dies, their current cameras will remain competitive for years to come. My non-RF cameras are X-700s, and I enjoy using them a lot. If the 7D becomes an orphan too, it will still be a quality camera.

Old 01-19-2006   #61
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover
Nikon remains at the cutting edge of "imaging" (that hurts) technology. Their cameras are state of the art, their market share is significant, and they are competitively priced (Leica's biggest mistake). I think I will be correct to say that they are profitable. They are a "little" fish compared to Sony and Canon, but they have always been so. Again, this hurts, but their discontinuation of film cameras actually is a strong position for them to take, again an action to focus on the profitable portion of their business.
rover,

Lets not forget that Nikon is continuing production of the F6 and, via Cosina, the "badging" of the FM10. What disappoints me about the film side decision is that they cut the F100 loose (this means no pro-level AF "backup body" to the F6).

Eliminating the N-line (F w/ low numbers in EUR) makes sense since the vast bulk of "prosumers" have gone digital so keeping the N's would only "eat into" the D-50/D-70 market.

Last night I was at a business group panel presentation. They had an "official" pro photog there. He was shooting a F5 with flash for the "official" shots of the panelists and then switched over to a F100 (probably loaded with Tri-X or similar) to take available lights shots of the audience.

It was nice to hear the whirr of the motor drive and see a film camera still being used by a pro!

George

Old 01-19-2006   #62
Little Prince

Agree Sockeyed. I'm a little saddened too, though I don't like to take these things to heart. I had been tempted by all those cameras you name before I settled on the CLE. In fact they (and the R2a) were the only contenders.

Old 01-19-2006   #63
Bobbo

Quote:
Let's not forget that it took Nikon 11 years to update their meter-coupling system to the type used by Minolta since 1966. And Canon fans--remember the T80?. The first Japanese SLR to hit the US market with a pentaprism and autodiaphragm operation was Miranda in 1955.
Let's see, other than having to turn the aperture ring when you mount the lens, the non-AI system isn't as bad as people make it out to be. They only changed it so it would be easier to make Apertyre-Priority Autoexposure (compared to the DS-12 that physically turned the aperture ring on the F2). It also took 11 years for Minolta to come out with something that could even be considered a pro camera after the Nikon F came out in 1959 (the XM of 1971...and add another 5 years for a 3.5fps motor drive, and then don't try to make another pro camera until the mid 1990's and then don't maket it)

The T-80 was a stop-gag before Canon could get the EOS series up and running, and Canon didn't keep it a secret (go read a late 1985 Modern Photography...don't know which one off the top of my head). Compare a Maxxum 7000 to an EOS 620 and see which is better. Compare a Minolta 7xi to a Canon A2e. Compare a Minolta 9 to an EOS 1vHS.

Yes, the Miranda was first, but the first one to be feature-laiden and reliable enough for por use was the Nikon F...the one camera that did more to kill rangefinders as the camera of choice for pros than any other.

Anywho, I never liked Konica film. I never liked Minolta bodies. The lens choices were pretty bad as well, and overpriced compared to Nikon or Canon (a 70-200/2.8 for Canon is $800 less than a Minolta, and an IS one is still $100 less than a non-stablized Minolta). I never liked Minolta's digital SLRs. It was too little, too late.

Then again, I never liked Contax SLRs, Kodak paper, Agfa film, or cheap Nikons...

Oh, as for the Leica R3/4/5/6/7, they cost too much and the early ones were not very reliable. Why pay $400 for a clean used R4 when you can get a nice Nikon F2 for $200 with cheaper and more plentiful good glass?

The Voigtslander name is just that...a name. The name of a non-competitive company from the early 20th century that was bought out by Zeiss. The name wasn't a very valuble one if they sold it to some Japanese company. Stick a Nikon name on a cosina body and you get a FM-10. Stick a Canon name, you get a T60, and an Olympus name it's an OM2000. Turn it into a rangefinder, it's a Zeiss Ikon.

Old 01-19-2006   #64
rover

Like you say George, the FM 10 really doesn't play into the equation because it is made by Cosina. I suspect the F6 will be hard for Nikon to let go because it is an F (really the pinnacle of 35mm film photography too). There is a real niche for you. THE professional film camera for when digital just won't do. As Nikon is an ikon (poor pun there) in the main stream photography industry now, the F is Nikon's ikon (it just gets worst ). It will be nice to see the price of the D50/D70/Rebel XT fall a little more too. A first strike against Sony.

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-19-2006   #65
yossarian
-

jaapv, Sorry, I forget what an international group this is and how poorly some of our colloquiallisms actually communicate. I did, in fact mean the financial position of the company, not any physical resemblance of their products.

I am pleased to see that a few of you seem to share my belief that the passing of any
significant manufacturer, whatever the product, does not warrant derisive comments
about said manufacturer. Don't think I'm equating Minolta with Duesenberg, but think back on some of the names no longer represented. NSU is long gone, but they developed the Wankel engine technology which put Mazda on the map.

I guess I'm just not a "what have you done for me lately?" sort of guy. Every camera manufacturer, past or present, has some models they wish they'd kept off the market. And nearly every one has at least one genuine triumph of design or
engineering. I don't know whether Leitz or Minolta was most responsible for the
superb XE-7 (U.S. designation)--does it really matter?

Old 01-19-2006   #66
rover

By the way, if all this talk makes anyone want to sell their old MC or MD lenses and bodies shoot me a PM.

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-19-2006   #67
sf

Man, the more I read of these things, like this and Nikon's quitting the film camera business . . . the more I fear that our optimisms are merely pleasant dreams. Oh well, it has been said by someone here, that our film producers will continue to produce film for some time to come. Which is long enough for me to buy a lifetime supply of everything I need. Just as soon as I get a job.

Old 01-19-2006   #68
nwcanonman

But at least Fuji Film Corp. has reaffirmed their support of film photographers in their news today! God Bless 'em ~ ; - )
http://home.fujifilm.com/news/n060119_2.html

Old 01-19-2006   #69
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv
And don't forget the Leica R3 and R4-5-6-7 series. Minolta-based.
Actually, Minolta-helped, not Minolta-based. The Minolta XD and XE have similar technologies as the R3 and R4 and vice-versa. It's been a love-hate relationship between Leica and Minolta.

Well...was Minolta had some great stuff; legendary RF equipment.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-19-2006   #70
Penguin_101

I wonder what the prices will do - new and used?

Old 01-19-2006   #71
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover
Like you say George, the FM 10 really doesn't play into the equation because it is made by Cosina. I suspect the F6 will be hard for Nikon to let go because it is an F (really the pinnacle of 35mm film photography too). There is a real niche for you. THE professional film camera for when digital just won't do. As Nikon is an ikon (poor pun there) in the main stream photography industry now, the F is Nikon's ikon (it just gets worst ). It will be nice to see the price of the D50/D70/Rebel XT fall a little more too. A first strike against Sony.
rover,

I am sooo close to buying a F6 - yet I am scared to do so because I have to worry that it is the last film Nikon. My angst - I'll resolve it.

As to dropping the prices of the D50/D70 (and Canon's Rebel) I'm not sure that is the way CaNikon will go.

My guess is that Sony is taking out K-M to eliminate a DSLR line and put theirEVF in a better marketing position.

I know one thing - if I were in charge of prod development at Nikon - I be truning those CoolPix cameras into EVFs!

Interesting times for sure.

George

Old 01-19-2006   #72
DougK
This space left blank

Ironically, the only good EVF I've ever seen was on the Konica Minolta Dimage A2... 922,000 pixels. It was not quite as good as an optical viewfinder, but very, very good nonetheless. Too bad more companies haven't taken a cue from that.

Old 01-19-2006   #73
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanonman
But at least Fuji Film Corp. has reaffirmed their support of film photographers in their news today! God Bless 'em ~ ; - )
http://home.fujifilm.com/news/n060119_2.html
You know, I've never really thoght of a press release as a Beautiful Thing, but that one certainly is! I'm really glad I'm a Neopan guy!

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-19-2006   #74
rover

Well, here is to Minolta...

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-19-2006   #75
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
i dislike sony!

anyone here have their computer wrecked because of the spyware program sony had on their cd's and dvd's?
I'd never buy a Sony SLR either, I don't trust
in their products anymore. Too often I have found that they combine
technical frontrunning concerning performance and features with a cheap and
sloppy manufactured hardware , designed for intentional short lifecycles.
They gave the shortest warranty times here before a EU law came.

My first SLR ever was a Minolta SRT101b plus 3 primes and I loved it.
Moving for me to see this name vanish. They lost the pro-market race
against Canon in the 80s already I think and this was the beginning of a
decline, which would have ended now even without the digital hype !

If they weren't top seller it surely had nothing to do with a lack of innnovation and quality but with a lame marketing an sales dept, which did not manage to make Minolta beeing an established pro tool , and so they fought for 30 years against too poor profits from the amateur market and too poor image compared to Nikon and later Canon, which surfed on Nikon's arrogance to the profitable pro market.
Something like a Dynaxx5 or a Dynaxx7 tho could neither Nikon nor Canon offer to their amateurs for a comparable price.

In principle all these news are not surprising bit what we have to expect and the process of consolidation will last on the mass market.

On the other hand there are other news too which confirm that the future film niche market begins to establish itself in the middle of this **** storm:

Zeiss introduces a brandnew RF and a line of new lenses,
Zeiss invests in a series of Nikon lenses,
The Bessa line was successful enuff to justify a second generation with AE,
Nikon keeps a F6 in it's portfolio and Canon sells still film SLRs too
film sales is still runing much better than expected,

and ADOX film is back after some decades ! The film receipt was sold to EFKE once, the name ADOX to a Canadian company (N.N.) and now this company has bought EFKE and ADOX film is back, the film I started with when I got my mothers Zeiss Box in 1959. ! I take this lucky reunion as a writing on the wall !

bertram

Old 01-19-2006   #76
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram2
On the other hand there are other news too which confirm that the future film niche market begins to establish itself in the middle of this **** storm:

Zeiss introduces a brandnew RF and a line of new lenses,
Zeiss invests in a series of Nikon lenses,
The Bessa line was successful enuff to justify a second generation with AE,
Nikon keeps a F6 in it's portfolio and Canon sells still film SLRs too
film sales is still runing much better than expected,

and ADOX film is back after some decades ! The film receipt was sold to EFKE once, the name ADOX to a Canadian company (N.N.) and now this company has bought EFKE and ADOX film is back, the film I started with when I got my mothers Zeiss Box in 1959. ! I take this lucky reunion as a writing on the wall !

bertram
Bertram,

Although we do have different takes on many things - I agree with the points you note up above.

The "**** storm" as you describe it (I might prefer the term "industry shakeout") was long overdue. The "rush" to digital has simply exposed the weak players who were limping along anyway.

I do think that for all of the "bad news" there are some very positive developments too as you've listed above.

None of us has a crystal ball, but I do think that film photography has a future, albeit not as the dominant media, but as a niche market. Just today a NY Times review of the upcoming Sundance Festival pointed out that while most of the entries will likely have been shot in digital format - they will "look like it, too".

It was NOT meant as a flattering comment. The commentator was clearly noting that these "indy cinemas" using digital format suffer greatly in terms of photographic quality. (And yes, digifreaks, I know the technology is "evolving". These are still "crappy" images!)

I don't want to say that I "believe" film has a future - because "belief" is not founded on reason and fact, but on faith. And faith is not logic, it is emotional.

However, I will say that I think it is "reasonable" to expect that film as a media of image reproduction will remain viable, if not dominant, for a long time to come.

Regards,
George
copake_ham

Old 01-19-2006   #77
parks5920

Sony blows the big one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
i dislike sony!

Old 01-19-2006   #78
GeneW

It's an unpleasant thing to see a good line disappear. Several of my friends were shooting SRT-101's and 102's back when I bought my OM-1. I really liked the Minoltas.

We OM veterans experienced a similar thing the day Olympus ceased production of film SLRs.

Gene

Old 01-19-2006   #79
phototone

I think Nikon dropped their film cameras to free up manufacturing space to make more D-SLR's. The F-6 uses many parts also used in the pro-level Nikon D-SLR's, so they can easily keep making that one.

The big question is this...now that Nikon has no medium-level film camera bodies, what is Fuji going to do for its next D-SLR, the last two of which were based on the Nikon N80 body? At one time, Fuji made their own 35mm slr bodies. Wonder if this is where they are going?
It seems that the Fuji D-SLR's are the favorites around here for Wedding and Portrait photographers.

MY RFF GALLERY

Old 01-19-2006   #80
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototone
I think Nikon dropped their film cameras to free up manufacturing space to make more D-SLR's. The F-6 uses many parts also used in the pro-level Nikon D-SLR's, so they can easily keep making that one.

The big question is this...now that Nikon has no medium-level film camera bodies, what is Fuji going to do for its next D-SLR, the last two of which were based on the Nikon N80 body? At one time, Fuji made their own 35mm slr bodies. Wonder if this is where they are going?
It seems that the Fuji D-SLR's are the favorites around here for Wedding and Portrait photographers.
I think you are "spot on" about freeing up the manufacturing capability. Sensing that Nikon was exiting the mid-range film SLR market I got my wife a N75 for Xmas at a "cheap" price (it's even "cheaper" now! )

When she started shootiing with it I realized that it counted DOWN on the number of exposures remaining!

Just like a digital does! Freaked me out at first.

Then I realized that the later model Nikon mid-range film SLRs were m/l "digital wannabes" sharing many components with the CoolPix line of digital P&S's

As I noted way up above in an earlier post - the only thing that really distresses me with Nikon's otherwise good strategic move is that they abandoned the F100 as a back-up AF film SLR for the F6.

I understand partly that the F100 is based on an older platform than the F6 (whereas the F5 and F100 were a perfect fit) but w/o an AF "backup-body" to the F6 it's hard to beleive that Nikon will remain committed to film as a photographic medium.

Nonetheless - I think I am going to get a F6!

It will be like getting a Nikon SP way back in the early '60's!

Last of its breed