Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

"outdoor" photo equipment: 1 body + 3 lenses or 3 x (body + lens) ?
Old 12-29-2011   #1
Thomas78

"outdoor" photo equipment: 1 body + 3 lenses or 3 x (body + lens) ?

Hello,

yesterday I was at an outdoor museum showing old regional buildings from the 18th and 19th century.

I took a 35 mm, a 50 mm and a 135 mm lens with me.

While I used the 35 mm most of the time photographing the buildings (were I again noticed that a 28 mm would often be a better choice) I also needed the 50 mm for a windmill behind a large meadow and the 135 mm for taking pictures of the animals.

Because of the time needed to change the screw mount lenses and the viewfinders I only changed the lenses three times (35 --> 50 --> 135 --> 35) and skipped some oppertunities.

Now I think whether it would be a good idea to just put three complete RF bodies with lens and viewfinder (28, 50, 90 - 135) in the camera bag so that I have the "right" focal length at hand every time.

What is your experience/opinion on using multiple lenses in the field ?

Old 12-29-2011   #2
thegman

I rarely change lenses out and about, but if I did, I would not want to carry 3 cameras around with me. When I go carry more than one camera, it's one for MF and one for 35mm. If you can be bothered to carry 3, go for it, but if you've got the pennies, maybe a Tri-Elmar would be good.

Old 12-29-2011   #3
FrankS

On a dedicated photo walk in the big city, I usually have 2 rf bodies with me, and 1 or 2 extra lenses.

21/28/50 or 21/28/35/50

photography makes me happy

Old 12-29-2011   #4
SamStewart

buy an slr with a zoom lens.

Old 12-29-2011   #5
back alley
IMAGES

i like 2 of the same body with a lens attached to each body...maybe carry another lens in the bag.

Old 12-29-2011   #6
Mephiloco

On my trip I carried around my M2 with a 21/4. When it got too dark for the 21/4 I went to the 50/2 Jupiter 8 or my Canon 50/1.2. Unfortunately my Ultron 'broke' during my trip so I had to go 21/50 the whole time

Old 12-29-2011   #7
Vics

Interesting question. I've been trying to narrow it down, too. I don't like changing lenses either, mostly because I'm afraid I'll drop one. I'm down to the M3 with a Summaron 35/2.8 and a Contax IIIa with a Sonnar 50/1.5. The two lenses are perfectly matched by signature, but the two cams are really heavy for walking around all day. Today I just took the Contax, but I often missed the wide lens. When I just take the Leica I'm happier. I have toyed with the idea of a Leica-cum-35 + Rollei MX combo (crop to the tele image) and that may work. I really wish I only owned one cam and one lens...

My Flickr

Old 12-29-2011   #8
Bingley

I am w/ back alley and FrankS on this question. When going out for the day (or out on vacation), I take two bodies with three lenses, usually 50/35/28 or 50/35/25 depending on where I'm going and what I'm likely to be shooting. Even so, I rarely change lenses.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 12-29-2011   #9
kxl
Social Documentary

Walking around ***MY*** city or in a city within easy drive, it's one body, one lens (okay, maybe two lenses)

Walking around a city when I'm on holiday, then it's 2 bodies, and 3-4 lenses.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 12-29-2011   #10
santela

For me it'll probably be the R4m+21mm and a Leica M7+35mm. And a 50 in the bag will do.

Old 12-29-2011   #11
35mmdelux
#Represent

I liken a lens to a window on the world. Move around, think creatively or you'll lose the shot you said you lost. As stated by others, there are photographers who achieved fame by just shooting with a 50mm lens.

Old 12-29-2011   #12
paulfish4570

one cam, one lens on my person; maybe another cam/lens left in the car ...

Old 12-29-2011   #13
n5jrn

One camera (IIIf), two lenses (5cm Summitar, CV 35/2.5). Generally one lens stays on the camera most of the time while I have the other with me in case I need it. Would rather not take two bodies since I prefer traveling light. If I fiddle with removing and replacing lenses, it's often to insert a NOOKY-HESUM between IIIf and Summitar for a close-up shot.

Old 12-29-2011   #14
GaryLH

For me --> Two RF bodies max. Either a 21/40 or 24/50/90 with the 90 in the bag along with the rf body that has the wide angle lens. More than two bodies to me gets to be confusing plus adds a bit of weight.

Gary

Old 12-29-2011   #15
Nikon Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamStewart View Post
buy an slr with a zoom lens.
Exactly, by carrying around 3 bodies with lenses attached you have lost the size and weight advantage RFs offer. Easiest solutions are to just get used to changing lenses and finders in order to get the framing you want or carry one lens and live with having to fore go some shots.

Bob

Old 12-29-2011   #16
yadong110

M4-2 Summaron 35/2.8, Hexar RF 28/2.8 (or 50/2), + Elmar 90/4 ( 3 element)
It's lighter and easy carry.

Old 12-30-2011   #17
Chris101
summicronia

I prefer shooting with a single camera and lens. However I can handle 2 of each if I need to. Three cameras? I'd get them tangled together and not shoot anything.

Old 12-30-2011   #18
Shade

Wow yes the thought of not needing to change lenses is nice, but three cameras oh man.. I wouldnt do it..

Old 12-30-2011   #19
Jamie123

I recently tried the multiple camera thing with two Hasselblads (one with an 80mm and one with a 50mm) and a 5DII around my neck when I took some photos of a friend of mine. Was a nightmare. Even though I was just a short distance away from the car and we soon went on to the next location it was less than convenient. Only way I'll ever do this again is if I have an assistant to hold the cameras I'm not using.

Old 12-30-2011   #20
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
I recently tried the multiple camera thing with two Hasselblads (one with an 80mm and one with a 50mm) and a 5DII around my neck when I took some photos of a friend of mine. Was a nightmare. Even though I was just a short distance away from the car and we soon went on to the next location it was less than convenient. Only way I'll ever do this again is if I have an assistant to hold the cameras I'm not using.
Heh, heh. That's quite a visual.

photography makes me happy

Old 12-30-2011   #21
ebolton
Number 7614

For urban walks, I take one RF with one normal or wide-normal lens. Usually it's my Canonet (so the lens is fixed). I also carry a digital camera with a zoom to cover other focal lengths.

Old 12-30-2011   #22
Thomas78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
I also once tried to do a shooting of a band with three MF TLR (a C330 with 180mm, a Rolleiflex 3,5F (colour) and my Rollop Automat (b&w) it was really a nightmare to carry all the cameras around, especially when you have to move around with all the camera equipment (and doing this in the dark).

When I have a specific "task", e.g. taking pictures at a party, i normally only take one lens with me (50 mm).
Also in cities I think I can work with only a 28 or 35 mm.
But for a walk at the countryside a bit more flexibility would be handy.

My idea is to use my big camera bag where is enought room to easily place all the bodies with its attatched lenses.
So I would only have to put the camere I have in my hands back into the bag and take the other one. (I normally don't use camera straps and I think of using barnack style bobies like the Zorki I which is quite compact has a weight of 404 g (I just measured it without a lens).)

Old 12-30-2011   #23
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Heh, heh. That's quite a visual.
Well, I did not have all three cameras around my neck. I had a 503CW with 80mm lens around my neck, the 5DII around my right shoulder and a Domke bag with a 501cm with 50mm lens, a few film backs and some rolls of film around my left shoulder. I felt quite stupid but there was no one around except me and the model.

Old 12-30-2011   #24
Mablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I prefer shooting with a single camera and lens. However I can handle 2 of each if I need to. Three cameras? I'd get them tangled together and not shoot anything.
Ditto. Whatever image opportunities I might see beyond my lens choice I will skip them all without blinking an eye.

Old 01-05-2012   #25
21-135 Apo All Good

This is an interesting thread. Some would think that 2 bodies and two lenses would do fine, however it depends on how well you can "see" photographically while using one focal length and seeing another chance with yet a different one. It also depends upon whether or not you're on a "photo mission" or merely doing errands in your home town. Those that aren't trained to be able to "see" several focal lengths at once often shy away from carrying additional lenses. I on the other hand am a bit of an "oddball" and see several compositions from super-wide to telephoto with the same subject matter. It's something that was learned by starting-out with only prime lenses (no zooms), which I fear is something that has long been lost in this, the era of auto-everything P&S.

Has anyone here any experience with such things as the Leica lens carrier that goes underneath the base plate and screws into the tripod socket? I use mine once in a while when not using the Motor-M's I own. A 90 Apo makes a nice hand grip on occasion while holding the M6 over my head with a 21 or 28 attached.

Old 01-05-2012   #26
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My usual "go for a shoot" setup is one body and three lenses (typically 21, 40 and 90 with APS-C, 35, 50, 90 or 135 with "full frame"). I don't change lenses all that often, though, as I usually try to 'think in the field of view' and look for opportunities that whatever lens I have on the camera is able to capture.

I probably miss a bazillion opportunities a day because of this, but that doesn't mean there aren't 10,000 that I can exploit ... I only have time to do a couple of dozen to a couple of hundred of those anyway. ;-)