View Single Post

Old 02-21-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

Just popped into the camera store in Plymouth. He is struggling to keep up with local demand from mostly 20-30 year olds for manual 35mm cameras and lenses. Lots of point and shoot cameras too (cheap ones). They are mostly students who buy things like the Pentax K1000 and are regularly in to buy film. He has just moved and has had a 20% increase in footfall and that is in February - later in the year should be bigger with tourists.

He's building a darkroom at the back of the shop and next month there will be a try it out day. He's also selling a lot more developing chemicals and hopes to start bulk buying from Ilford when he has the time.

Plymouth does have a photography degree course so that may well skew things, but the two young local girls in there trying out a Zenit were not in that category.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.