View Single Post

Old 06-13-2019   #20
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert26 View Post
Damn, thanks for all the info. I’ll be riding a track bike through the city and the outskirts as well. I have a really twitchy build with very tight geometry so it’ll definitely be a bag I wear. I would not feel comfortable at all slinging the leica around my shoulder like it’s a bag but that does sound amazing. I’m very experienced but still, that sounds so risky. Just something small, black, light, with quick access to my camera. You see, there are so many times I’ll be driving around, see something amazing out the window, and not be able to shoot it. I just like the idea of hopping off the bike for a minute to get the shot instead of missing the shot trying to park. I mostly shoot street but have grown pretty tired of the downtown area here and would like to start shooting up in the numbers where things and people start to get pretty strange. Areas like this are too spread out to park and walk. It looks like I’ll just look for something on b&h. I definitely don’t want the bag to look camera specific but even if there are logos I can just black em out.
When I tour, I use a frame mounted handlebar bag like Bob links to just above. When I go into a store, restaurant, or camp for the night, I want something I can grab off the bike easily. It carries camera/phone/wallet/map and some easy-access sundries, like a small tube of sunscreen. Buy something that detaches quickly from the frame. I never bike AND photograph, I bike THEN photograph, so wearing the camera doesn't do much for me. Travel cam is an Olympus Pen-E3 or OM-D E5 or similar. Vibration has never been a problem.

I did use a messenger bag when commuting in NYC on a bike. It solves a short-haul solution, but I wouldn't want something slung that way for a long ride. It weighs unevenly on one shoulder and slides around front at inopportune times.

You have to choose a solution that works for you, but let me offer the following:

1) you can't eliminate risk to the camera if you insist on riding with one. You can manage the risk a bit, but you are fighting physics on this because of the speeds at which you will be traveling, and the fact that a bike purposely does not have much mass. Use gear you can afford to lose in a spill/crash, theft, or rain and then stop worrying about it. It is only stuff, and if you have spent what I think you have on that bike, the cost of a used digicam is trivial.

2) wearing anything that's not clothing when cycling is an opportunity for something to go wrong.

3) a bike is a terrible getaway vehicle. Don't worry that your photo gear will signal anything of importance to thieves: they already want your bike, which is probably worth more than the average week's salary just as parts.

4) Don't worry about vibration. It isn't an issue that can be managed by placing a camera on your body vs. on the frame. When you travel by bike, you are essentially a giant sack of water sitting a metal frame. When your wheels hit a pothole, where do you think the impact of that event goes? Right into you and everything connected to you. Just buy a used Oly for $150 and smile when you touch that shutter button.