View Single Post

Old 09-04-2018   #10
BillBingham2

First off, keep shooting. Expensive if you're shooting film, but it's important.

Second, do you have a 35mm FOV External Finder? I think you need to see/visualize the framing. Look through it, then decide if it's a picture. Perhaps you should try to framing the shot, counting to three slowly and reviewing the shot in the finder. If it doesn't look at least good, don't push the button. I've always tried to do that when I was shooting film, when I shoot digital I'm not as disciplined.

Get a cheap digital camera (8 or 10 MP) and a lens that is effective 35mm. A good M4/3 camera would work fine and shot a LOT. Much cheaper than film. Go through and don't just say it's not to your liking, think about what you could have done to make it to your liking. Different angle, different side, different lens, what would work better. Editing your pictures is hard for some, but working the picture, dissecting pictures for what would work better and thinking about the look is often harder.

It's your first week, don't go to hard on yourself.

Frankly, going from a 50 to a 35, IMHO is not enough of a jump in difference. I'd say 24, 25, or even 28 would be better. Myself, I find I work better with larger differences between my lenses (less swapping), but that's me. When I was learning photography one friend had a 24/50/105 set up, mine was a 24/85/200.

It's hard to take a jump to a different focal length. Don't give up and keep asking questions and post a few of your shots, good and bad for input. Just get ready to hear some things like I've heard (e.g. you are short, you smell, your cat has a funny tail, and your dog isn't manly enough).

Hope this helps.

B2 (;->