View Single Post

FujiFilm X100F for Daily Use
Old 11-06-2017   #1
russelljtdyer
Writer

FujiFilm X100F for Daily Use

Although my Leica M9 or M3 camera and lenses are smaller and lighter than the Canon 5D Mark II DSLR camera and lenses I used to own, they are still a little much to carry with me on business trips or for daily use since I'm not a professional photographer. As a result, I miss many opportunities to take pictures.

Early last year, to solve this problem, I bought a Sony RX100 M3 compact camera. It's a fine camera and small. It has an excellent Zeiss lens and a good image sensor. It has worked well for me. I've taken many good photos with it.

Since that camera worked so well, I decided to try something of a little better quality. I bought a FujiFilm X100F camera. It's bulkier than the Sony RX100 M3, but not as heavy or as large as the Leica M9 with a comparable standard lens. It's small enough that I don't mind carrying it in my briefcase.

The X100F includes a fixed 23mm lens (equivalent to 35mm) with a maximum aperture of f/2. It has a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor. What I like best is that the exposure settings can all be controlled manually on the top of the camera.

Below are some photos I took recently on a business trip to Helsinki. I'm still learning how to use it (e.g., the photo of the woman walking isn't as focused as it could be). The camera is very configurable, but that has only confused me, especially when I show it to a friend and they inadvertently reconfigure it. There are customizable presets that I can use so that I can quickly put my settings back, but I haven't had enough time to set them. I just need more time with the camera.

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Leica M3 camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Russell's Photography Equipment (updated April 2015)
Leica M9 camera
Leica M3 camera
FujiFilm X100F camera

Leica Elmarit-M f2.8 21mm (E49) lens
Leica Summicron-M f2 50mm lens
Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm (E46 Germany) lens