Thread: road trips
View Single Post

Old 10-11-2016   #3
nickthetasmaniac

The year after I finished high school a mate and I caught the boat to Melbourne, and then drove to Kalbarri on the mid-west coast of WA, surfing along the way. Google says it's about 6000km each way, although I suspect we may have added a fair bit to that. We spend 5 months driving over, and 4 days driving back

I did have a camera, a lovely Olympus C5060W that was my first 'serious' camera (I was 18 at the time). Unfortunately though it was stolen after our car got robbed in Perth, about 3 weeks before we were due to come home. I picked up a replacement P&S off a family friend, but I never got many shots out of it...

This is the only one I think I still have access to - Jakes Point, one of the legendary desert left-handers you'll find up that way. This particular wave is the smaller, hollower, shallower inside section, called 'Skeletons' and loved by bodyboarders (ie. me).

I left a lot of skin in that reef, but it's still one of my favourite places in the world

Instagram @other_strange_creatures