View Single Post

Old 12-05-2019   #50
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvancamp View Post
I just purchased my first light meter, and largely as a result of this thread it's a Minolta!

I found a great deal on a Flash Meter IV and so far so good. Has a lot of buttons but I really like the design. Part of me thinks I should have splurged on the VI for the built in spot meter, but it's a big price difference. I'm watching eBay for a good price on the viewfinder accessory for the IV.

Ambient meter is great, but I'm trying to figure out the flash meter. Wondered if anyone here would have thoughts. I want to test it with my digital camera before trusting myself with film. My only option for that is a Fuji X-Pro 1 and some old Nikon speedlights (SB-20 or SB-9).

I think I have things set up correctly--same settings (iso/speed) on meter and camera, fire test flash, set the camera to the aperture produced on the meter by the test flash--but the results are very very very underexposed.

So, I'm not sure if I'm using the meter incorrectly, or if there is a problem between the old Nikon flash and the Xpro. The flash is definitely firing. And there is a clear difference between the image with no flash and what I'm getting. Any thoughts appreciated!
It is an incident light meter, so be sure when you take the reading that you are standing where the subject is, pointing the white dome directly at the camera lens. You can have someone else stand at the camera and trigger the flash.

The flash itself should be set to manual, not one of its auto modes. If you have things set correctly and you're metering the right way, and the photos are still underexposed the meter needs serviced. Are ambient light exposures accurate?