View Single Post

Old 11-19-2019   #46
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
This is totally due to packaging failure of the new Xtol. Once again "Kodak" screws the pooch with a great product. I wonder how many people got burned with the 120 paper backing issue and how much that cost them in warranty replacement. I have a buddy who bought a large amount of the bad backing paper film and got all of it replaced by Kodak, and was a sad moment to have to trash all those unusable rolls of 120. Maybe 20-30 Pro-Packs of 5 hit the garbage. I also wonder how many people will decide not to use Xtol from this point on due to the uncertainty of any Xtol.

The two causes of the original sudden death Xtol were eventually determined and Xtol was stable for me (and others) for years in use my lab running it replenished. I'd mix between 2-3 5L packages per month for several (3-5) years doing thousands of rolls. Any reports or concern about sudden death were due to either the use of Xtol in an older package or not taking the step of at a minimum filtered water or distilled in mixing the stock.

I used to think that it any failure in the past few years was due to the iron in the water but unfortunately we now have to consider the very real possibility that all of the new Xtol product packaging is defective. I will be doing my own test with new and old packaging and believe me, I will be quite vocal to Kodak about my results, and I encourage any reader to do the same.
The sudden death problem when Xtol was first introduced many years ago was caused by a packaging problem wasn't it? Crazy that they'd repeat that same mistake 20 yrs later.