View Single Post

Old 11-14-2019   #22
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
I think I've reached the top of the GAS pile and found the 35mm cameras I'm most comfortable with - a Nikon F4, with a FE when I want something a bit lighter.

However, I have a Contax/Yashica itch I'd like to scratch just to be sure Recommendations ?
A trusted seller has a 167MT body cheaply, but then I've not heard great things about these ?

Minimum spec
Manual and aperture priority exposure modes
Metering for up to ISO 3200
Exposure lock and compensation
Nice large and bright viewfinder
Motor drive options - either built in or add on unit.
Ability to override DX coding (if camera reads DX)

Would be nice if it had..
TTL Flash
Matrix metering
Shutter speeds faster than 1/1000sec
Program mode
Never gave up on my Fujica ST 109. But when I got a Contax 139Q on sale at the PX, with a 50mm f/1.4, also on sale I really fell in love with it and used it a lot until it died right after a bad house fire.

Well, I soon got a close cousin Yashica which was quite good and actually had some features the 139Q didn't have. I got an FX3 as my backup as it was totally manual except the light meter. That wasn't a deal breaker for me since I almost always had a Gosen SBC with me. I later got a 167mt and love it also. I found I didn't care for the motor drive (on any camera really) but soon got used to it. It is really a great camera as well.

The cameras and lenses are great. I have no fear of not getting great photos from the Yashica cameras. Actually, since the Contax lenses, great though they are, are usually rather expensive, I would recommend buying the Yashica camera and save the money for the Contax lenses.

I think you will be quite happy.