View Single Post

Old 09-01-2019   #36
RichC

I agree with Dogman - the choice and quality of camera equipment today allows us to pretty much photograph what we want, whatever the situation.

As for the old chestnut of ephemeral digital images, it's now about two decades since digital camera started to become commonplace, and many people I know still have all their digital photos, even from then - if they've made a point of saving them (and I don't mean with a fancy back-up system but something basic like copying data from their old machine to a new one).

Yes, files are deleted, or lost when a computer dies. But how many negatives and slides have been ruined by being kept in attics or cellars, assuming they're not thrown out at some stage?

What I'm saying is that all photos - film and digital - can disappear forever, but can also be kept and stored to see the light again decades later.

I do have a fancy back-up system, but I ignored that. For this photo I rummaged in an old drawer and found a CD labelled "France - Brittany 2000". (This was from my very first digital camera - a 2 MP Fuji that used AA batteries!) Despite stories of rotting CDs, this was fine despite being untouched for 19 years almost to the day. My friends are in their 20s in it, but are now close to turning 50...

As an aside, generation Z born in the 90s and grew up using laptops, phones and digital cameras know all about how to keep their files safe, and use cloud services working automatically in the background as a given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brittany_July_2000_21.jpg (44.7 KB, 15 views)

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk