View Single Post

Old 09-01-2019   #32
ozmoose

Enjoy what you have today, and make the best of it - whether film or digital.

As any good Buddhist will tell you, stuff happens.

At well past 70, I no longer care much about what will happen to my stocks of film and digital images when I've shuffled off to the great shopping mall in cloud land. Maybe my architectural shots of old colonial buildings in Australia and Asia will survive me in terms of who will be interested in them, but my hundreds (= thousands) of cat portraits won't. The subjects themselves are long gone, not that they cared much about which cameras or film I used when I was stalking them over the decades.

My partner has been after me for some time to sort out and cull the feline shots, keep the best, maybe do a book or two for family to enjoy in the future, and destroy the non-keepers. Very sensible indeed.

Yes, we are truly fortunate to be living in the time we are now. Film is still available and digital image technology has moved forward in leaps and bounds. I have photos and text documents saved electronically since the '80s and '90s which can still be accessed, as I've updated my equipment and systematically recopied to the new technology every few years. Easily done, and nowadays cheaper than ever.

Take reasonable steps to care for and protect your images - beyond this, don't stress. Nothing is permanent. Ask my late cats...