View Single Post

Old 11-10-2018   #40
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniii View Post
7. I haven't tried this but: what if you ask your lab to do a 5x7 print and then scan it on flatbed. This will probably improve dynamic range at the cost of sharpness
With a print I already have the superior quality. Why destroying that by looking at a picture on the worst viewing medium, the computer monitor?

Honestly, we live in weird times:
Most photographers pay thousands of bucks for 24, 35 or 45 MP cameras, and then pay another several hundreds for a computer monitor with a 2k (2MP) or 4k (8MP) resolution which destroys the original resolution of their camera.
If you look at your picture from your D850 with 45 MP on a 4k monitor you are looking only at an 8 MP image, and nothing more! The original 45 MP are then irrelevant.
Going this imaging chain means wasting most of your money you've invested in your camera.

Same is valid for film photographers using excellent films, than using (cheap) scanners and only viewing it on computer monitors. You loose most of the original quality.
And the quality problem with computer monitors is not only their extremely low resolution, but also the limited color gamut and that they cannot show real continuous tones (because of the discrete LCD structure).
But slides, optical prints and laser prints on silver-halide RA-4 paper don't have all these quality limitations.

I want the best quality from my negatives, transparencies and digital files. Therefore I avoid to destroy the original quality by using computer monitor view as the end result.
- My digital files are printed on real photo paper (silver-halide) with high quality laser printer systems (by professional labs).
- My negatives are printed by me in my own darkroom optically the traditional way.
- Slides are projected with the best projection lenses in unsurpassed quality. It is like "cinema at home", but the quality is even much better compared to the low resolution digital projection in today's cinemas (which is also only 4k).
And slides are viewed with my outstanding slides loupes, giving me also a much better quality than any picture on a computer monitor.
- If I want one of my slides hanging as a print on the wall a drum scan from the slide is made and then printed on silver-halide RA-4 paper. The quality is outstanding.