View Single Post

Old 02-20-2019   #43
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
But oh, it does have a weak-point. Underneath that weird hot shoe on top of the rewind knob is a wafer-thin glass resister plate. I cracked that twice when banging a mounted flash that stressed the assembly. Once that glass plate is cracked, the metering system is shot and the camera will only shoot at the mechanical 1/80 second shutter speed. I purchased the resister plate from Nikon twice during the 90's, $25 each time, and had the Nikon authorized repair shop here in Dallas repair it.

To my knowledge, that $25 resister plate is no longer being manufactured and I would imagine there will start to be F3's with un-repairable resister plates all over the place one day soon.
Maybe that will happen, maybe not. We will see.
But even if that happens in the coming years, than the F3 will have served for more than 40 years. Someone who bought one new in 1980, which then maybe get defunct in 2023, have had made a really great purchase!
Have you ever had a car which lasted so long for you?

If someone buys a brand new F6 today, which then maybe fail 40 years later, will also have made an outstanding purchase with excellent price-performance ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
Today, 10 times out of 10, I'd rather buy a nice F2AS.
I won't. Every F2 today is very old with lots of shutter counts / "mileage". And I don't know how much it was abused by the pre-owners. The likeliness that its get defunct in the next years is much higher than that a brand new F6 gets problems.
But, even much more important to me:
The F2 limits my photographic possibilities. With the F6 I can do so much more, it offers so much more possibilities and creativity to me that it is a no brainer for me.
There is a reason why my most used Nikon is the F6, and my old mechanical Nikons are mostly staying in the cupboard.
The F6 does not limit me.