View Single Post

Old 06-05-2005   #21
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43
It hasn't even been shipped...... to me, anyway. The seller mistakenly sent the lens with a camera to the wrong buyer. A pre-paid shipping label was issued two weeks ago for the other buyer to send the lens to me and they haven't even gotten it to UPS yet. I'd PO'd about the whole deal but there's little I can do. The lens itself is a 28~105mm f/3.5~4.5 and serial number 77100838. If this is one of the desireable models, I'm beginning to suspect I'll never see it.

What can you tell me about it?

Walker
Walker

If, and when it arrives, it'll be the Kobori made lens. That particular one I don't see very often. I don't know how it compares to their current Series 1 (Cosina made) model, but the Kobori made lens is built much better. I did shoot with one of the Kobori's once. I believe yours has a filter size of 72mm's? Personally, I think that you're going to like it. If however, you don't ever see it, the Kiron 28-105 f/3.2-4.5, is a very good lens, and can be had quite cheaply on the used market. Sharona uses one of my Kiron 28-105's exclusively, for everything from scenics, to wedding shoots, and the results are excellent. Give me your personal E addy, and I'll send you more info on these lenses. The current Vivitar Series 1 28-105, is a bit faster, but nowhere nearly as well built as your older Kobori made model. I hope you get it. Let me know what happens. We can always get you the superb Kiron model, if it comes to that . I'll also get you an excellent lens hood for that model, or the Kobori one.

The attached snap was made with the Kiron 28-105, on Fuji Press 800 (Superia 800 X-Tra) @ 640. Please excuse my crappy scanning technique. The actual neg and 8x12" print are very sharp, and low grained.

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"