View Single Post

Old 03-21-2019   #8
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Converting color photos to B&W is hard to do with good results. That's true both with digital photos and with scans of color film. The built-in BW modes in digital cameras are always inferior to what you can do yourself on the computer using Photoshop.

The BEST B&W conversions come from dedicated B&W plugins for photoshop, like Nik Silver Efex or Topaz BW Effects. These plugins raise microcontrast to give the tonal look that B&W film has.

ON1 has a dynamic contrast setting- small, medium, large (scale), which I think helps a lot (in fact it can overdo it). I also really like converting color photos because I can adjust the color sliders to manipulate the color channels (analogous to filters). I always think- good color; good B&W.

I may have to check out Photoshop and the plugins one of these days. I do like digital B&W.

Here is a shot from the XT-2 and processed on ON1. I showed it on another forum and got comments about the micro-contrast (but others thought the overall contrast was too low):

trail by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Fuji Acros simulation is interesting because the Fujifilm engineers developed a way (purportedly) to manifest noise as grain like structure similar to Acros (and it increases with ISO). You need to use in-camera Acros or Fujifilm X RAW Studio (free) to get the effect. X RAW Studio uses the cameras processors through a micro USB link to process the image (with a chance to modify the image). I have yet to try it.