Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Domke 5xb nylon (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168646)

twopointeight 05-31-2019 17:35

Domke 5xb nylon

Looking for personal reviews of the Domke 5Xb ripstop nylon bag. Particularly about the zipper (small than the other versions of the 5Xb), the stitching, and durability in general. Will it fit a Fuji XT2 or XPro2 with 23/35/50 lenses?

Archlich 05-31-2019 20:03

I just happen to get mine last month. It will certainly fit a X-T or X-Pro kit with standard zoom and 1-2 extra prime lenses. Sadly it's still a F-5XB so you don't get the improved features seen on the J-5XB like side padding and the rear pocket.

Zippers are OK, smaller than the standard ones, less noisy, but I still ended up replacing it with a pair of cord pullers. Craftsmanship is as expected from Domke. Durability - this is where it gets interesting. The bag alone weighs just 7.4 oz. The included gripper strap alone is almost as heavy. So if paired with a nylon strap the thing goes feather light for the size, thanks to the thin (40D-ish) ripstop material. It's also water resistant, especially the flap part. The down side: from my personal experience with ultralight backpacking gears the ripstop nylon does - as its name suggests - handle rip force well since it's reinforced with dyneema grid. But heavy abrasion is not its cup of tea, nor will it resist puncture from sharp objects. Same likely applies to this Domke bag - it'll be good for many years's normal use, but I don't think it will survive decades of heavy abuse without developing a couple of holes, while the canvas Domkes would.

Still, I'm quite happy with mine since this really is as light as you'd possibly get. And it does look kinda special. So why not.

Solinar 06-01-2019 02:34

Try a search for the Domke 700-J5B J-5XB

Just a heads up - There is a J-5XB version of this bag that has a thicker ballistic nylon fabric and the usual Domke heavy duty zipper - which I prefer. (See Below)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._and_Belt.html

My only beef with the bag is I wish that Domke would put a pocket outside the bag on one of its sides for a small water bottle.

shawn 06-01-2019 05:04

I fit the XP2 with a prime mounted and 4 more lenses into my F5XB. Make three vertical dividers and then get extra rear lens caps. Hot glue them back to back and you can fit 2 primes in each divider in the bag with the camera and mount lens in the third space.

Shawn

twopointeight 06-01-2019 10:10

That a great testimony to the ripstop version. I was about to order it and then read the reference to the ballistic version, went to the link at B&H, and it too looks very good. I'll be sure to waste half my weekend contemplating this rather than taking photographs. Thanks.

twopointeight 06-01-2019 14:32

Archlich, I'm mainly going to use this on my waist for a couple lenses and batteries, so the nylon version might hold up well. But, what about the velcro on the flap which must pull on the ripstop nylon pretty hard? Any thought on that? I might cover the velcro with the opposite velcro surface, either hook or loop?

twopointeight 06-12-2019 11:47

Just received the 5XB Nylon and it was the right choice. Perfect fit for XT2, 23/35/50 lenses. XPRO2 with same lenses fits as well. The only slight disappointment was the lack of any cushioning on the sides. Easily remedied with a couple of Domke dividers that fit perfectly.

I can also imagine it holding 2 fast primes and the camera body with a third prime, outside the bag.

Archlich 06-12-2019 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by twopointeight (Post 2893666)
Just received the 5XB Nylon and it was the right choice. Perfect fit for XT2, 23/35/50 lenses. XPRO2 with same lenses fits as well. The only slight disappointment was the lack of any cushioning on the sides. Easily remedied with a couple of Domke dividers that fit perfectly.

I can also imagine it holding 2 fast primes and the camera body with a third prime, outside the bag.

Sorry for the lack of reply (didn't frequent this part of the forum) and congrats on the new bag! You must have first hand experience now but yeah, the fabric handles velcro's pulling (=ripping) force well.

I wonder what kind of domke divider you got for the bag? Seems to be quite a number of them available.

Graham Line 06-12-2019 19:06

My Domke F5XB is packed with a Minolta CLE, a Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 40, 50 & 90mm lenses plus film and the usual extra junk. After about 15-20 years it doesn't show much wear. Have an 803 bag about the same age that travels a lot and it looks fine. Have a very old FX3 canvas bag with a couple of holes and pulled stitches, and an F6 that takes a D750 and three or four lenses. The bag looks fine, but the insert could stand some repair.
I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a Domke, unless they've changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Archlich 09-07-2019 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Line (Post 2893732)
My Domke F5XB is packed with a Minolta CLE, a Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 40, 50 & 90mm lenses plus film and the usual extra junk. After about 15-20 years it doesn't show much wear. Have an 803 bag about the same age that travels a lot and it looks fine. Have a very old FX3 canvas bag with a couple of holes and pulled stitches, and an F6 that takes a D750 and three or four lenses. The bag looks fine, but the insert could stand some repair.
I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a Domke, unless they've changed a lot in the past 10 years.

I have big faith in the canvas and ballistic nylon Domkes, but my ripstop F-5XB already have holes in its side panel. It's just too thin. Quite mendable though with some tenacious tape which is a common fix for backpacking gears. With a large piece as backing the side panel should fare much better against punctures.